Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will sign Kicker Matt Gay

CR91

3 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

So, are we dumping Chase? Who’s going to do kickoffs if not? Hope Rigoberto gets back 100%! Not sure I like this move!? Should stick with McGlaughlin!

Sanchez does kickoffs. Man did we miss him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Id rather only carry 2 kickers instead of 3 though! Could use that roster spot in another needed area!

The Colts are not carrying three kickers.   Just 2.   It’ll be Sanchez and Gay.  The only question is who will do kickoffs? 

34 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Gay should also be handling kick-offs.

He has a strong leg and is a big boy (6'0"  232 lbs) and he was 12th in terms of PFF kickoff grade out of 30 Kickers. Chase was 10th. So very similar performance on kick-offs and a pretty great upgrade in FGs/XPs

For numbers, he handled 77 kickoffs last year and only 16 were returned. That is just 21% of kickoffs returned. And the average return on those was only 21.6 yards. The average field position start was basically the 26 yard line. Chase (as a comparison) had 47% of his kickoffs returned. So Matt Gay is solid on kickoffs. 

The last two years Matt Gay has easily been a top-5 kicker.

In terms of PFF grading (for those that go by that as a loose rough idea metric), he was a 90.0 last year (4th overall) and 82.6 the year before. 

Those are basically Justin Tucker/Daniel Carlson/Younghoe Koo type grades

He deserves what he just got paid

that's cool.. 

Colts offense hopefully could get closer to field goal range and end zone more often to have him at work often enough... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

So, are we dumping Chase? Who’s going to do kickoffs if not? Hope Rigoberto gets back 100%! Not sure I like this move!? Should stick with McGlaughlin!

You answered your own question.  Rigo will do them and it looks like the Colts expect him back or they would be looking at punters.  

After giving the biggest money in NFL history for an OG, OC and LB Ballard has decided to up the ante and make records at even less important positions. Next stop - punter and long snapper!!!

On a more serious note - I don't really hate this one. If we are going to be spending on kicker this is a good one to spend on. For some reason I'm having memories of him being on the Colts before... Don't remember in camp or for a workout when we were having troubles with kicking or practice squad... No idea why he didn't stick at the time.

edit: Yeah, my memory didn't lie to me this time, here it is: 

The Rams took him off our practice squad to become their star kicker in their Super bowl run. 

• Like 1

I guess people knocking this are frustrated because of the lack of other signings. Because let's be honest, the Colts have proven in recent seasons that unreliable kickers cost games.....no one is caring about his price tag if his kick sends us into the post season. 

• Like 7

We’re going to draft a QB who can’t finish in the end zone, confirmed! haha

Seriously, I like this signing. It will for sure help a rookie QB if the kicker will get some points on the board when we can’t get the touch down. Less stress. 

while it looks a bit expensive, I don’t know how much more expensive it is compared to what we have paid the last couple of years?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

Gay 2022

•    ⁠17/17 on kicks < 50 yards
•    ⁠7/9 on kicks 50+ yards
•    ⁠93.3% Overall

Gay Last 2 Seasons

•    ⁠49/50 on kicks < 50 yards
•    ⁠11/14 on kicks 50+ yards
•    ⁠93.8% Overall

Longest Career Makes

•    ⁠58 (x2)
•    ⁠57
•    ⁠55 (x6)