Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Meh, it goes with coaching.  Should have won WAS with Sam if the D didn't give up its first Hale Mary of the season.  

But we looked like the worst team in the NFL when we were down 20-3 at HOU the very first game.  It never really got any better other than a couple of first halves against Phil and Dallas.  The MIN game was a fluky lead.

The way played Sunday, it didn't look like to me we cared whether we won or lost. That 4th and 20 looked so phony, all Thomas had to do was just bat it down. At 51 years old I can honestly my fat butt could have made that play in my sleep.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, krunk said:

Ball placement has a lot to do with your base and footwork etc. I remember Luck had those issues with the Colts for about the first 2 years or so. He would sail balls a lot. I think its fixable and he did fix it 

Exactly this. If you watch his tape, he releases off his backfoot alot. His footwork issue is mainly due to his horrendous OL and constantly being under pressure. Can definitely be corrected.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The way played Sunday, it didn't look like to me we cared whether we won or lost. That 4th and 20 looked so phony, all Thomas had to do was just bat it down. At 51 years old I can honestly my fat butt could have made that play in my sleep.

Huge difference between 4th and 6th for Colts needing a QB. Thank you Rodney ...

31 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/10/pfts-final-2022-nfl-power-rankings/

We finished with the 4th pick...

But dead last in this Power Ratings:

21. Titans (7-10; No. 19): From 7-3 to 7-10, and plenty of changes coming.

22. Panthers (7-10; No. 23): Steve Wilks did enough to earn that job.

23. Saints (7-10; No. 24): Get a quarterback, and things could get interesting.

24. Jets (7-10; No. 20): Maybe they should sign Geno Smith in free agency.

25. Falcons (7-10; No. 27): Folks may start inching toward the hot seat next year.

26. Raiders (6-11; No. 25):  Why didn’t they pivot to Jarrett Stidham earlier?

27. Rams (5-12; No. 26): The Rams sold their soul for a silver trophy, and the devil showed up sooner than expected to collect.

28. Broncos (5-12; No. 32): They finished on a high note. After way too many low notes.

29. Cardinals (4-13; No. 28): Will they pay for a high-end head coach?

30. Bears (3-14; No. 29): They would have been winless without Justin Fields.

31. Texans (3-12-1; No. 30): The Texans are the gang that couldn’t tank straight.

32. Colts (4-12-1; No. 31): The best part of giving Jeff Saturday the interim coaching job is that it gave Jim Irsay enough evidence to conclude he shouldn’t give Saturday the permanent coaching job.

share discover GIF

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had that vibe after the Minnesota game we gave up. It looked like to me after that game we were going through the motions. That loss sucked the wind out of us, that was season over.

You really are a homer then if it took that long.

I thought the season was over when we lost 24-0 vs JAX.   The way we lost spoke to pure lack of competitive talent and coaching...not just a spell of bad play.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You really are a homer then if it took that long.

I thought the season was over when we lost 24-0 vs JAX.   The way we lost spoke to pure lack of competitive talent and coaching...not just a spell of bad play.

Because of the division we are in, I felt like if we won that Minnesota game we could still do some things.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think if we do that we are going to have to do a heck of a job in free agency. Moving up is going to cost us a few picks and we still need to address the Offensive Line issues.

The FA class this year isn't great so don't expect much 

The season was over for me after that Scary Terry catch

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had that vibe after the Minnesota game we gave up. It looked like to me after that game we were going through the motions. That loss sucked the wind out of us, that was season over.

I think it was even earlier after that.  When they lost Washington game the way they did I think that broke them.  They had a slight boost when Saturday was first brought in and found a way to beat the Raiders but that quickly wore off.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Traits wise, does CJ Stroud seem like Jameis Winston?  A faster and stronger version of Mac Jones.

Has he stolen any crab legs? Or does he have maturity issues? Is CJ coming out of college being known for throwing interceptions l8ke Jameis was? Can Jameis run at all? Id say no they are not similar

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The FA class this year isn't great so don't expect much 

The season was over for me after that Scary Terry catch

I think we could find another right guard in FA. Kelly we can replace with Pinter. We need better depth. Should be able to find something.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Has he stolen any crab legs? Or does he have maturity issues? Is CJ coming out of college being known for throwing interceptions l8ke Jameis was? Can Jameis run at all? Id say no they are not similar

Not the same player, but he's closer to Winston than Fields from a play stand point, IMO.  He can run, but he seems to like to play from the pocket.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I haven't heard anything negative about him off the field. He has a compelling story and background surrounding personal loss and family. Previous coaches have given phone interviews to the media stating he's been mature for his age even in his early youth. So, hopefully, character isn't a problem. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Not the same player, but he's closer to Winston than Fields from a play stand point, IMO.  He can run, but he seems to like to play from the pocket.

Does he need to be like Fields? Doesnt remind me of Winston much.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Does he need to be like Fields? Doesnt remind me of Winston much.

Fields is from OSU and runs more than throws.  Stroud is a very accurate passer, and a long baller, so Winston was the guy I thought of.  (I was thinking traits, not attitude or interceptions).  But I don't think Stroud is as big as Winston, so that's why I threw Mac Jones in there too.

He's not tall and a runner like Herbert, nor is he as shifty as Burrow.   Winston and Jones were my comparisons, since they like to throw from the pocket and are about the same size.

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

- Eagles (SB winner)

- Cowboys (2-time SB winner)

I could go on. Sorry, simply not true. And we don't have "an obsession" with it either. If anything, we've neglected it WAY too much with a few notable exceptions at most. QB and OL are absolutely the two areas this team needs to focus on the most by far in both the draft and FAs. 

Which years did they won Super Bowls with lines built as I described?n

OL is completely an area where you need to be good. But good teams do it by merging good and mediocre (or worse!) talent who achieve more than their individual skills through coaching and scheme whereas we seem to suggest that you need to pile massive resources into that area which leaves other areas under resourced.

But definitely intrigued to know which Super Bowls you are speaking about. It might change my perception. 

5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I watched a lot of Levis all 22s last night thanks to my antibiotic insomnia. One trend I'm noticing with him is an issue with ball placement. Quite a bit of screen passes failed for the Wildcats because the ball was thrown way too high, and the receiver had to make a leaping jump just to catch it. By the time the ball is caught, the receiver has no time to get their feet set and take off. 

There's a lot things I like about Levis though. Size, arm strength. Release isn't too bad. 

I mentioned this earlier but in the Georgia Kentucky game they said Levis was suffering from a foot injury all season.  I think it was either Turf Toe or Lisfranc.

They said he altered his throwing mechanics so he wouldn't throw with pain.

Unfortunately, that messed his mechanics up.

So Levis will need time to "fix" his mechanics so he can throw more accurately.

I don't think he will be ready day one.  He may sit for a year.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I mentioned this earlier but in the Georgia Kentucky game they said Levis was suffering from a foot injury all season.  I think it was either Turf Toe or Lisfranc.

They said he altered his throwing mechanics so he wouldn't throw with pain.

Unfortunately, that messed his mechanics up.

So Levis will need time to "fix" his mechanics so he can throw more accurately.

I don't think he will be ready day one.  He may sit for a year.

That seems consistent with some of the negatives in Levis scouting reports. https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/01/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-will-levis-qb-kentucky/

Negatives:

Will be 24 years old as a rookie. At least 23% of his throws came behind the line of scrimmage in each of the past two seasons. Had just three games over 230 yards this past season under Rich Scangarello, none inside the conference (one in the SEC in 2021). Completed just one of 12 deep throws down the right side of the field this past year.

Decision-making and feel for what defenses are doing is a work is a progress. Doesn’t always transfer weight effectively into his throws, leading to accuracy issues. Has a tendency to underthrow passes off his back foot despite his superior arm strength. Efficiency plummets when under pressure, completing fewer than half of his throws over the past two years. Doesn’t seem to sense backside pressure very well. His physical running style causes him to take a relatively high amount of punishment.

Summary:

A player whose high-level physical and mental attributes will likely earn him a spot among the first 10 or so picks in this year’s class, although there are certainly some issues with weight transfer and accuracy. It’s fair to wonder why he didn’t dominate in conference play like you’d like to see from a top prospect. Has the ceiling of a high-end starter with a relatively high potential to bust, so risk tolerance among teams may lead to somewhat divergent grades. Would ideally be able to sit behind a veteran for at least part of his rookie season.

Projection: Round 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I haven't heard anything negative about him off the field. He has a compelling story and background surrounding personal loss and family. Previous coaches have given phone interviews to the media stating he's been mature for his age even in his early youth. So, hopefully, character isn't a problem. 

I cannot find anything on the internet anywhere that says what CJ Stroud is majoring in at school.  I was started to do some research, found that Levis was a finance major, Young was phyc....absolutely nothing on Stroud.

Does anyone know?

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I listened recently to an Ohio podcast of journalists comparing Fields and Stroud. In a nutshell - Fields is a better overall athlete and will create better when a play breaksdown. Indicated both QB's had a strong arm with Fields have an overall stronger arm. Stroud sees the field better and his accuracy allows him to fit balls into a window. They felt Stroud aligned more with a typical NFL quarterback. Overall they felt both were very different from each other. They poke highly of Stroud as a person.

42 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

That seems consistent with some of the negatives in Levis scouting reports. https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/01/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-will-levis-qb-kentucky/

Negatives:

Will be 24 years old as a rookie. At least 23% of his throws came behind the line of scrimmage in each of the past two seasons. Had just three games over 230 yards this past season under Rich Scangarello, none inside the conference (one in the SEC in 2021). Completed just one of 12 deep throws down the right side of the field this past year.

Decision-making and feel for what defenses are doing is a work is a progress. Doesn’t always transfer weight effectively into his throws, leading to accuracy issues. Has a tendency to underthrow passes off his back foot despite his superior arm strength. Efficiency plummets when under pressure, completing fewer than half of his throws over the past two years. Doesn’t seem to sense backside pressure very well. His physical running style causes him to take a relatively high amount of punishment.

Summary:

A player whose high-level physical and mental attributes will likely earn him a spot among the first 10 or so picks in this year’s class, although there are certainly some issues with weight transfer and accuracy. It’s fair to wonder why he didn’t dominate in conference play like you’d like to see from a top prospect. Has the ceiling of a high-end starter with a relatively high potential to bust, so risk tolerance among teams may lead to somewhat divergent grades. Would ideally be able to sit behind a veteran for at least part of his rookie season.

Projection: Round 1

I can't get over that he chose not to play in that bowl game and let his teammates down.  I get being worried about injury before the draft, but he didn't finish what he committed to.  I don't like that.

Archived