Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

Keep in mind how well Bryce young played in the 2021 sec champ game to beat UGA (who had a stronger, more experienced, and more talented defense last year).   I think Young and bama would have beaten UGA in the title game if Jameson Williams didn’t tear his ACL during the game. 

UGA def had 5 1st rd picks last year. Their best pass rusher this year Nolan Smith is hurt and missed the playoffs

Just my two cents….I don’t see the Colts trading up with Chicago. Ballard loves his draft picks…. and is there really enough difference in the top three qbs to warrant trading up and losing a Ton of picks? Would you be upset with Stroud or Levis? Especially when we have so many holes? I think we stay put at 4 or maybe even trade back a couple spots.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Just my two cents….I don’t see the Colts trading up with Chicago. Ballard loves his draft picks…. and is there really enough difference in the top three qbs to warrant trading up and losing a Ton of picks? Would you be upset with Stroud or Levis? Especially when we have so many holes? I think we stay put at 4 or maybe even trade back a couple spots.

It’s a good point and only colts can decide if they think there is a difference.

• Like 1

If we love a quarterback through the evaluation process then we HAVE to trade up for him. There's no point sitting at 4, hoping they fall and then kicking yourself for years because the Raiders, Falcons or Panthers jumped us.

I don't want us to end up with the 3rd QB and hear "we loved all 3" type of nonsense. Its the type of typical passive Colts decision making that I've almost come to expect.

If you believe your guy is there then go make sure you get him!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at how TCU is playing Vs Georgia and look in comparison of how Stroud and Ohio State played against them. 

Stroud is the best QB in this class and he can play against NFL quality teams.

Dint drink thr Ohio State Kool aid when it comes to  qbs

30 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Ballard won't be picking the  1st player.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t want your team making a decision on a quarterback based on two games.    You want your decision made on two SEASONS.   At least. 

I agree his 2021 tape was more impressive than his 2022. Knowing who he lost and the injuries he battled explains the drop off

• Thanks 1

None of us know if the right QB is there in this draft.

We need to swing for the fences though and end this band aid QB carousel.

I want to go NO. 1 and get Young.. He is ready and doesn't need mentor.. Stop the too small nonsense and lets get our guy...

23 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

The Colts have zero excuses not to walk away with a guy they believe will be their franchise QB for the next decade on day one of the 2023 NFL Draft.

What happens if the Colts don't believe there is a franchise QB available in this draft? The QB class is not over welming so it's possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at how TCU is playing Vs Georgia and look in comparison of how Stroud and Ohio State played against them. 

Stroud is the best QB in this class and he can play against NFL quality teams.

all it took was one play in that game for me to be sold on him.  It was the play where he scrambled out of the pocket after it broke down, pointed to his wide receiver in the end zone, and threw a 25 yard TD dime while on the run.  

• Like 1

Young decision making is way better then Stroud IMO. I want Stroud if we can't get Young. If we can get Young you forget about the others...I want to know what college games you all been watching to think Stroud is better than Young? Don't give me the nonsense Young is too small!! You giving Stroud the kingdom over one game against Georgia????:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Timeout said:

None of us know if the right QB is there in this draft.

We need to swing for the fences though and end this band aid QB carousel.

I want to go NO. 1 and get Young.. He is ready and doesn't need mentor.. Stop the too small nonsense and lets get our guy...

Young is to small in the sense that he weighs less than 190 lbs. Kyler Murray in comparison is taller and weighs around 209 going off combine numbers and he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Young is a good QB but he isn’t gonna last because he is gonna get hit a lot more than in college and he just isn’t built to get hit by nfl players. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Timeout said:

Stroud wasn't didley compared to Justin Fields at OSU but lets choke the draft not trade with bears for Young.. Makes perfect sense.. Bring on Caleb next yearlmao

I too prefer Caleb Williams and Drake Maye over these 2023 QBs but I’m not so sure they can afford to wait another year. Especially when they are picking in a prime spot to get a top QB. They don’t want to lose the fan base. 

31 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Young is to small in the sense that he weighs less than 190 lbs. Kyler Murray in comparison is taller and weighs around 209 going off combine numbers and he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Young is a good QB but he isn’t gonna last because he is gonna get hit a lot more than in college and he just isn’t built to get hit by nfl players. 

It’s too bad we couldn’t take the best qualities of Young, Stroud, Levis and even Richardson.    You’d have a terrific talent. 

Young: poise, pocket awareness, reading defenses, leadership.

Stroud: hyper accurate. 

Levis:  the body and especially the arm talent. 

Richardson:  the overall freakish Uber-athletic ability both arm and legs. 

That would be one special quarterback. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t want your team making a decision on a quarterback based on two games.    You want your decision made on two SEASONS.   At least. 

I gave you a like because I agree with your concept but it wasn't just those 2 games. He looked bad in several games. I just signal out those 2 because they were signature games.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are several in here that love Levis, if we draft him I hope he smears it in my face and plays great. I was wrong about Herbert, I though Herbert would be average at best. He is solid good, still hasn't won anything though. I was right about guys like Mayfield, Darnold, and Wentz though when they got drafted high. I said they would all stink, pretty much on the ol' nail factor, I nailed those. I also said that Tua would have problems staying healthy, nailed that too. I don't think Willis will do much in Tennessee either. You can just tell sometimes when you have watched the game for years. The QB from Georgia will be a backup in the pro's - heard it here 1st. I said AJ MCcarron would stink and some thought he would be a great pro. He had a pretty GF that was about it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Please don't throw your arm out patting yourself on the back! Also, might want to purchase some good ointment for that back! LOL

7 hours ago, Timeout said:

If we want starter day one. We need to move up to number 1. Young is not too small tired of hearing that nonsense. He is a day one starter. After him it is mentor QBs....

Stroud will be good with right QB coach and we don't have that......JMO

Young is too small for Chris Ballard. Take away your love for the player and focus on Ballards history. He is a height, weight, size, arm length guy. He very rarely drafts undersized players let alone with high picks. Think about all the QBs we have had. Theyve all been around 6 ft 3 or better except for Sam who is a low round draft pick. Ballard cares about it. We had these same arguments about Ojulari vs Qwity Paye. And Ballard went with Qwity. He prefers the standard NFL size for the position or better. He had to be talked into getting Kenny Moore by his staff bc he was short. Most of us know its not likely Ballard will go that route. Young is barely 6ft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a like because I agree with your concept but it wasn't just those 2 games. He looked bad in several games. I just signal out those 2 because they were signature games.

Outside of this being your opinion. Levis also wasnt known to have a good core of players around him from what i understand. I dont think their running game or wrs were all that good. When you have a situation like that you usually see pressing from the player and some hero ball at times trying to do too much. At any rate the teams go off what they think they can do with the player and the skill set. Yes the film matters but overall its what you think you can do with the player in your scheme, with your staff and your set up. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Outside of this being your opinion. Levis also wasnt known to have a good core of players around him from what i understand. I dont think their running game or wrs were all that good. When you have a situation like that you usually see pressing from the player and some hero ball at times trying to do too much. At any rate the teams go off what they think they can do with the player and the skill set. Yes the film matters but overall its what you think you can do with the player in your scheme, with your staff and your set up. 

The Miss and Vanderbilt games were bad as well. They beat Florida but he played average in that one. I watched him a lot because I had a feeling we would be drafting a QB this year. To me by the eye test, Young and Stroud are much better.

I watched a lot of Levis all 22s last night thanks to my antibiotic insomnia. One trend I'm noticing with him is an issue with ball placement. Quite a bit of screen passes failed for the Wildcats because the ball was thrown way too high, and the receiver had to make a leaping jump just to catch it. By the time the ball is caught, the receiver has no time to get their feet set and take off. 

There's a lot things I like about Levis though. Size, arm strength. Release isn't too bad. 

7 hours ago, Timeout said:

If we want starter day one. We need to move up to number 1. Young is not too small tired of hearing that nonsense. He is a day one starter.

How is 190 lbs not too small for the NFL?

Drew Brees weighed 209 lbs.

Kyler Murray weighs 207 lbs

Young is too small.

• Like 1