Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday holding practice outdoors.

AKB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Temperature has to be above 50 degrees to open the roof. Which means the roof is closed on Sunday 

Boy it’s kinda scary to see how many people missed the sarcasm in that tweet, though not at all unexpected from some…

There also has to be no recorded falling precipitation within a certain radius (I believe it is 200 miles, but don’t quote me on that,) of the stadium so even when they do want to open the roof that’s a call that can’t be made until day-of. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Colts were a true dome team when Peyton and Luck were here so it is a myth we are a dome team now. Actually the team we have now is built for the outdoors. Matt Ryan played at Boston College and is on record saying he is ok playing in cold weather, and the way we run the ball with Taylor fits the narrative of us being good out doors. Good defensive teams love the cold as well.

Most QBs are better dome QBs. Since BC, Ryan has played in a dome his entire career. His splits in a dome are way better than his splits outdoors. And I am sure those splits don't shrink with aging QBs (with declining arm strength) as the weather outside gets colder. 

As for the Colts vs. PHI this season:

Colts (dome): 3-2-1 (not sure which games the roof was open)

Colts (outside): 1-3

PHI (dome): 3-0

PHI (outside): 5-1

Regardless, opening the roof for this game (even if they could) doesn't really seem to provide any advantage, except for the shadows. But PHI's HC was the OC in Indy for a couple years recently, so I am sure he is familiar with it as well.

The team is paying for Peyton making Jeff do the wet ball drill before the Super Bowl. :D

You know they joke about it, but I always had the feeling that Jeff never really got over it. 

That said, I am sure this has to do with Jeff bringing a different mentality to the team. 

35 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Most QBs are better dome QBs. Since BC, Ryan has played in a dome his entire career. His splits in a dome are way better than his splits outdoors. And I am sure those splits don't shrink with aging QBs (with declining arm strength) as the weather outside gets colder. 

As for the Colts vs. PHI this season:

Colts (dome): 3-2-1 (not sure which games the roof was open)

Colts (outside): 1-3

PHI (dome): 3-0

PHI (outside): 5-1

Regardless, opening the roof for this game (even if they could) doesn't really seem to provide any advantage, except for the shadows. But PHI's HC was the OC in Indy for a couple years recently, so I am sure he is familiar with it as well.

You stated all facts there, so it would be tough to debate that. Hard telling what is going on.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have heard that LOS doesn't have a good drainage system so if it rains that could flood the field. Maybe they have fixed that by now but I remember people mentioning that. So if it rained, we had to keep the roof closed.

Maybe Saturday is planning a mud bowl !

baby falling GIF

5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It wouldn't...PHI plays outdoors. Probably Hurts the Colts more if anything. They are the dome team.

But the real losers are the people that paid to go to a game indoors haha. I would be *.

I know at my age I have no tolerance for the cold so yeah, I wouldn't be happy. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I know at my age I have no tolerance for the cold so yeah, I wouldn't be happy. 

Yep. The walk from the parking lot to Slippery Noodle and from there to LOS is about my tolerance level. I don't know how people do it in CHI, GB, etc, tailgate and go to games...but more power to them.

I remember a game in 2009 against SF (the one where Addai threw the TD to Wayne). The high was about 50 that day (so it was mostly in the high 40s), but it was sunny, so they had the roof open and the window open. That was only the second year for LOS, so I imagine they were less selective back then because it was still a novelty.

But anyways, it was pretty damn cold. Definitely not as comfortable as it is could have been. 

I concur with those who said this is about mental toughness for the team. I think Saturday is just making sure these guys know that the game is hard work. It’s harder in the cold than inside the warmth of a building. They definitely need to learn mental toughness even though they’ll be in the dome this coming game. I like it!

Archived