Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Raiders Postgame Thoughts (merge)

EastStreet

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The more I think about it I think getting a good olineman is the move in the draft this season.  This team doesn’t need to be blown up.  It needs the line to play better.  Ryan has shown he can still play when he’s protected.  So playing Ryan one more year and getting a QB in 24 isn’t the worst thing in the world.  I also say olineman because if Raimann pans out you might not need a LT.  You may need a RT or RG, possibly a center (although that wouldn’t be my first round pick).

I need to see how Ryan finished first. Either way they went wouldn’t bother me. If you have a good left tackle for a rookie the following year that could make a huge difference.

Just now, Zoltan said:

Just to clarify it wasn’t Frank that benched Ryan it was Irsay who forced that move, that’s known.
Not saying I didn’t agree with it because he was turning over the ball at an alarming rate. 

I think both things can be true meaning Ryan was benched but injured and Irsay could have demanded to see what we have in Sam vs allowing Reich to go to Nick.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We were not top 5 prior to this win.. 

We could be if we lose out. If this team starts winning it will cripple us yet again. The worst thing that could happen is if this team finishes with a draft pick 12-18. That does us zero good

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Just to clarify it wasn’t Frank that benched Ryan it was Irsay who forced that move, that’s known.
Not saying I didn’t agree with it because he was turning over the ball at an alarming rate. 

I ask this sincerely, but do you have a source for this? I hear a lot of people speculating that Irsay meddled with this decision, but to date, I have not seen a single confirmed or verified source to validate this. I think you are probably right, because what coach in their right mind would bench a pro bowler for a 6th round QB while on the hot seat? 

So again, I am not disagreeing with you. I’m just trying to clarify speculation and rumors vs confirmed facts. 

That said, I think benching Matt resulted in losing the locker room entirely, or at the very least losing the offensive line. 

32 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Lot of crow that I'm preparing to serve up here in a minute. Might start with @Jared Cisneros

lets develop Sam and see what he is in a year or two. 

Absolutely. Nice win. Glad we started Matt Ryan. Nice job on offense. Let's go for it.

I said if we started Matt Ryan, then I wanted to win. We did so. So I'm willing to eat crow, and say let's go for it now.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

We could be if we lose out. If this team starts winning it will cripple us yet again. The worst thing that could happen is if this team finishes with a draft pick 12-18. That does us zero good

You have a loser mentality.   Irsay doesn't

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

The odds of breaking the top 8 were nearly impossible. We were 13th worst heading into this game

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The more I think about it I think getting a good olineman is the move in the draft this season.  This team doesn’t need to be blown up.  It needs the line to play better.  Ryan has shown he can still play when he’s protected.  So playing Ryan one more year and getting a QB in 24 isn’t the worst thing in the world.  I also say olineman because if Raimann pans out you might not need a LT.  You may need a RT or RG, possibly a center (although that wouldn’t be my first round pick).

It would be better to get a QB this next draft and let him sit one year behind Ryan. 

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Actually, we have had zero proof Irsay made that call. 

Executed the simple things like we should have all along. Play calling mostly generated positive yardage consistently. We attacked plenty intermediate throwing to guys in space. 

Being HC and play calling is definitely too much. Saturday was talking to Frasier, talking to even Gus Bradley before a blitz (when he wasn’t bringing it despite the pass rush not getting home), had a good finger on the pulse of the team.

No gadgets needed, we weren’t predictable, mostly kept it simple on 3rd and short, followed the KISS principles well and the trenches did well all around.

Pittman, he’s good for a key drop or turnover every game, becoming a bad trend. Pierce wasn’t separating, and Campbell is playing himself into a nice new 2 year contract if he’s healthy because he CLEARLY separates.

Nice positive vibes coming out of this game. Overall lots of good to build upon. 

Great team win for the Colts!!!

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Actually, we have had zero proof Irsay made that call. 

Reporters with credible sourcing like Rapoport have reported it. Now I don’t want to get into a “Well I think the whole media lies” discussion and while if it was just click bait writers reporting I would be skeptical but these are top in field league reporters. 

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It would be better to get a QB this next draft and let him sit one year behind Ryan. 

Won’t do you any good if you can’t protect Ryan or the new QB.  That’s the key.  With four wins it’s going to be hard for the Colts to get in position to get one of the big three. What they could do is get an o lineman in round one and get a guy like Hooker in round two.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Reporters with credible sourcing like Rapoport have reported it. Now I don’t want to get into a “Well I think the whole media lies” discussion and while if it was just click bait writers reporting I would be skeptical but these are top in field league reporters. 

Links? 

ad for the record, Rapport is wrong just as much as he is right. That is a proven fact.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How's that tanking narrative going? 

Josh McDaniels been a coach  for 20 plus years lost to a coach that had no coaching experience.     Your crazy tyraid looks pretty silly

As funny as this is, and I’m laughing really hard at it, It’s one game, let’s see what happens next week. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How's that tanking narrative going? 

Josh McDaniels been a coach  for 20 plus years lost to a coach that had no coaching experience.     Your crazy tyraid looks pretty silly

I have to say, this win here today is one of my favorites in a while because of the way the media, some ex coaches, some ex players, were mocking us and saying it was a disgrace hiring Jeff. What they didn't count on Superman put on his cape = Matt Ryan who I believe called most of the plays, and Taylor played like an MVP today. Most that bashed us thought Sam was going to play, Matt said hold my beer cerveza lata GIF by Schneider Arg

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That’s fair, and I have no interest in digressing into a media good/evil diatribe. but to me, that’s still not a confirmed fact. That’s still speculation, even if the person has “sources.” 

regardless, I’m happy that Matt is quarterbacking again and giving us the best chance that we have to be successful! I’m even more excited to have Saturday on the sideline. When it was announced that we were firing Rick, I was completely disheartened by the possibility of promoting a mediocre coordinator or sifting through the countless retreads that make the rounds every year.

When it was announced that Saturday was taking the helm, I was actually excited. I think a lot of teams are showing how much success can be had with going outside the box.

12 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I ask this sincerely, but do you have a source for this? I hear a lot of people speculating that Irsay meddled with this decision, but to date, I have not seen a single confirmed or verified source to validate this. I think you are probably right, because what coach in their right mind would bench a pro bowler for a 6th round QB while on the hot seat? 

So again, I am not disagreeing with you. I’m just trying to clarify speculation and rumors vs confirmed facts. 

That said, I think benching Matt resulted in losing the locker room entirely, or at the very least losing the offensive line. 

https://news.yahoo.com/jim-irsay-made-jeff-saturday-141258685.html

Take it for what it’s worth. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If i had one complaint today Saturday should of taken the extra point early and they would not of went for two late. Just take the points.  Don’t know if that was Saturdays call or parks though. Don’t go for two until you are forced to do it.

Eh I get why though. Wouldn’t have matter though if we’d just made that FG

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to say, this win here today is one of my favorites in a while because of the way the media, some ex coaches, some ex players, were mocking us and saying it was a disgrace hiring Jeff. What they didn't count on Superman put on his cape = Matt Ryan who I believe called most of the plays, and Taylor played like an MVP today. Most that bashed us thought Sam was going to play, Matt said hold my beer cerveza lata GIF by Schneider Arg

To be fair, they changed to Matt at warmups. 

43 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Not gonna read to far into this, we beat a team with a worse record. Now if they can win against a team with a better record that will be a start, not trying to be pessimistic but cautious. We had Bradley who knows the offensive players, there defense is worse in the league and multiple Star players on IR, heck they prepared for Sam E. But Ryan played, there’s tape out on the new playcaller so teams will look at his tendencies going forward. 

I don’t think Bradley knew the offensive plays with a new HC, but he knows the Raiders players.

15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

So you think Ballard can't work out a move up in the draft if necessary?

Archived