Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fire OC Marcus Brady

Bravo

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They are wrong. 

They're not wrong. This is absolutely a scapegoat firing, for all the reasons mentioned so far. Brady doesn't even have the usual responsibilities of an OC, because those are held by the head coach. Reich is primarily responsible for the offensive shortcomings.

That said, doesn't mean Brady was good at his job. If Reich was fired in January, I'm 100% sure Brady would not have been retained by the new staff, and it's also highly unlikely he would find a new OC job in the NFL. But he's still being scapegoated.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

ReicH is the HC. He don’t have time to sit with Brady every day for game plans.Havinf input is not same as installing the game plan.

Right or wrong, being a leader is to expect to receive blame and praise when things go bad or good. Reich is the head coach, therefore he's going to receive blame for the teams' struggles. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

ReicH is the HC. He don’t have time to sit with Brady every day for game plans.Havinf input is not same as installing the game plan.

Do you understand how much time these coaches dedicate to the game? There are some coaches who practically live in the training facility during the season, they rarely see their families. So to say he doesn’t have the time to do his job is pretty crazy lol.

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

Do you understand how much time these coaches dedicate to the game? There are some coaches who practically live in the training facility during the season, they rarely see their families. So to say he doesn’t have the time to do his job is pretty crazy lol.

Reich has other responsibilities as a HC. 

22 minutes ago, Mythjpt said:

Don't really understand why he was let go when the issue is the line.

Brady is the o-line coaches immediate boss. HERE is my play now get your guys organized to block it. Sometimes the co-ordinator asks guys to do things they are not physically able to execute.

Our plays are not being executed at a high level and we lack creativity.

Some of that is Frank and some isn't.

I know i do not want us to keep doing the same old thing. 

And Pryor is a slug that kills our ability to do creative blocking.

I brought up getting rid of Brady earlier in the year and asked exactly what his role was. We one of the players have to bring how off balance the play calling is to the HC then there is obviously something wrong.  Hopefully the OLine coach is next.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Brady is the o-line coaches immediate boss. HERE is my play now get your guys organized to block it. Sometimes the co-ordinator asks guys to do things they are not physically able to execute.

Our plays are not being executed at a high level and we lack creativity.

Some of that is Frank and some isn't.

I know i do not want us to keep doing the same old thing. 

And Pryor is a slug that kills our ability to do creative blocking.

This tells me they think Brady not strausser is the biggest issue with the oline. Play design can make oline look worse. You are correct here.

First, they cut Blankenship.....scapegoat 1....

Now they fire the OC who isn't even responsible for the in-game play-calling? Scapegoat 2...

The Offensive line went from top 2 to bottom 2 under Strausser, why is he not getting the axe......?

This seems very odd and very much like Reich circling the wagons and saying it isn't me.......lol

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Now they fire the OC who isn't even responsible for the in-game play-calling? Scapegoat 2...

The Offensive line went from top 2 to bottom 2 under Strausser, why is he not getting the axe......?

This seems very odd and very much like Reich circling the wagons and saying it isn't me.......lol

Ehhh Blankenship was deserving of being cut

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Why don’t you guys get it Brady is responsible for the weekly game plan and installs.

53 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Talk about being a scapegoat. Over the OL coach. He doesn’t even call the plays lol.

I've been thinking more or less the same thing for weeks. SURELY, the OL coach bears some responsibility for the rapid decline of the o-line. Which theory makes more sense...that players like Nelson and Smith suddenly became less talented? Or that they've not been properly coached? Granted, there have been some confounding variables that make it hard to point to s single point of failure (Matt Prior, the departure of Glowinsky, etc.)

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

They're not wrong. This is absolutely a scapegoat firing, for all the reasons mentioned so far. Brady doesn't even have the usual responsibilities of an OC, because those are held by the head coach. Reich is primarily responsible for the offensive shortcomings.

That said, doesn't mean Brady was good at his job. If Reich was fired in January, I'm 100% sure Brady would not have been retained by the new staff, and it's also highly unlikely he would find a new OC job in the NFL. But he's still being scapegoated.

The initial gameplan - the scripted plays - were Brady’s responsibility (with input from Reich) if I’m not mistaking. We have scored all of what? 10? 13? Points TOTAL all season during the first half of games. That’s laughably bad…

47 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Regardless of how good of a coach Marcus Brady is it is very difficult for me to believe that he is a major contributor to the current issues. This is nothing but a scapegoat move. 

The decision makers (Irsay, Ballard, Reich) are the ones mainly responsible for the current issues of this franchise. 

Sometimes changing assistant coaches or lower level positions is going to help. I doubt that is the case here.

These types of moves are very frustrating. You see them in not just sports but every organization/business. The decision makers use others to take the fall when they themselves deserve the blame. 

I hate this move. Not because of my opinion of Marcus Brady but because I think it's a type of decision that gets made when those running the show don't take any responsibility for their own actions and decisions. 

Something is wrong 3 pro level offensive line men are playing horrible . I doubt all three just fell off a cliff at the sane time .   It was as soon as Brady and the new line coach came in .    Offense looked good under nick . Frank might be calling plays but the creativity died after nick left 

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm okay with it. Makes sense. The offense has been absolutely terrible. I think most of us would like to know just how much Reich is in charge of the offense. Is he merely calling the plays in game or is he assisting with the design as well? 

He oversees the whole thing no doubt! But like I said, Frank isn't gunna fire himself, Irsay clearly wants to give him another shot, or just doesn't want to fire a HC mid season. But yes, everyone has a share in the blame. I just see alot of peoples hate for Reich, so they prop up Brady as if he isn't to blame.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Talk about being a scapegoat. Over the OL coach. He doesn’t even call the plays lol.

Nick left for the eagles and colts haven’t been right since , Frank is done after this year I think irsay might keep Ballard but Frank is gone for sure 

Geez. We're one step away from a total housecleaning. And I'm not thrilled by that.

I get that everyone has problems with the team, Reich and Ballard.

But let's look back as a way to guess at the future.

Pretty sure after taking over for his dad, Jim Irsay made some foundational and impressive hires/choices.

HIres Polian, first Jim Mora, then Tony Dungy as GM/coaches.

Then --- disastrously --- hires Ryan Grigson (the ANTI Polian) and Chuck Pagano (nice guy, but Arians was a better Coach)

Those hires essentially cost us Andrew Luck's career --- a franchise QB and HOF type player.

I don't want to go back to those decisions. I hate the idea of burning the house down in a "born under a bad sign" season...

The OC comes up with the game plan for the week. He installs the plays for the week.

Reich calls the plays, based on the game plan. If the game plan is bad, then Reich's play calling by default will also look bad.

Of course, Reich also holds much of the blame, but there is good reason to try a new approach. A new OC.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The initial gameplan - the scripted plays - were Brady’s responsibility (with input from Reich) if I’m not mistaking. We have scored all of what? 10? 13? Points TOTAL all season during the first half of games. That’s laughably bad…

We have not scored on the first drive of the game all year. We have scored less than 20 points in 6 of the last 7 games. The numbers are not good no matter how you look at it. I doubt this is the only change that will be made.

Archived