Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fire OC Marcus Brady

Bravo

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Maybe this leads up to Reich hiring a great offensive mind and he gives up play calling.

Exactly.  Its likely a prelude to Frank likely scaling back on some offensive duties and handing them over to somebody who can handle it better than Brady.

More in line with what Sam can do...and maybe a sign of the kind of QB we will draft....if we do.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The OC comes up with the game plan for the week. He installs the plays for the week.

Reich calls the plays, based on the game plan. If the game plan is bad, then Reich's play calling by default will also look bad.

Of course, Reich also holds much of the blame, but there is good reason to try a new approach. A new OC.

Look at how bad our Offense has looked and firing the Coordinator is off limits?  The Clowns are those who can't see it. This is good news.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Firing a coordinator who coaches on the same side of the ball as the head coach is usually one of the last steps before the head coach gets fired.

Agreed. I'm very skeptical about the thoughts that this means Frank is keeping his job. If anything, this brings us just one step closer to his firing. I don't think he gets fired during the season, but if this doesn't work, he will be gone in the off-season.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  Its likely a prelude to Frank likely scaling back on some offensive duties and handing them over to somebody who can handle it.

Wait a minute...

Reich taking on more offensive responsibility is an indication that he's going to give up more offensive responsibility in the future? How does that connect?

29 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sam mentioned he has been watching a lot of eagles tape.

It's not a true scapegoating until the media starts steaming up a comparison to discredit the scapegoat. For Wentz, it was Ryan. And for Brady, it's Sirianni.

But I think we are giving Sirianni too much credit here (and discrediting Brady too much). Neither called the plays, right? One was the OC and the other was the QB coach when Rivers was here. And Reich said that they all game-planned together. 

And last year's offense with Carson Wentz (Brady's first year as OC) scored more pts/game than PHI's offense (with Sirianni in his first year as HC).

I can't blame Brady for not being able to scheme around that version of Matt Ryan. In the first game where they switched to the more mobile Ehlinger, the offense definitely looked better. 

But I also think it's a good start to fix the offense.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wait a minute...

Reich taking on more offensive responsibility is an indication that he's going to give up more offensive responsibility in the future? How does that connect?

He'll pull a Cincinnatus and retire to a life on the farm after this season? 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Wait a minute...

They are going to hire another OC, right?  They've always had one.   I wouldn't think that they would fire someone without having a plan for succession or for the direction they want to head.  Certainly Frank will have to do more work until then though.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Agreed. I'm very skeptical about the thoughts that this means Frank is keeping his job. If anything, this brings us just one step closer to his firing. I don't think he gets fired during the season, but if this doesn't work, he will be gone in the off-season.

And it's not going to work, because Marcus Brady doesn't coach the OL, and he doesn't call plays on Sunday.

In fact, it probably has an adverse affect on Sam Ehlinger, who was working closely with Brady over the last few days and on gameday. There were several times where Ehlinger and Brady were in serious conversation on the sideline, 1 on 1, no Reich, no Milanovich, no Foles, etc. Now you take away the new QB's #1 sounding board, and make that person the already distracted and stretched-too-thin HC, and how do you think that works out?

The fact that Reich let Brady go, and then took on his responsibility instead of delegating it to someone else on the staff, is a dead giveaway that he's grasping desperately right now. Reich isn't good enough at his current duties, how does this make him or the QB better?

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think we are saying if he is isn’t fired and for next season. 

The question remains. What indication has Reich ever given that he intends to be less involved with the offense? And how does making himself more involved show an inclination toward that in the future?

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Isn’t he a defensive guy? I imagine if Reich is here next year it will be a young offensive mind that he doesn’t have ties to.

It’s probably just general management unrelated to defense or offense. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

And it's not going to work, because Marcus Brady doesn't coach the OL, and he doesn't call plays on Sunday.

In fact, it probably has an adverse affect on Sam Ehlinger, who was working closely with Brady over the last few days and on gameday. There were several times where Ehlinger and Brady were in serious conversation on the sideline, 1 on 1, no Reich, no Milanovich, no Foles, etc. Now you take away the new QB's #1 sounding board, and make that person the already distracted and stretched-too-thin HC, and how do you think that works out?

The fact that Reich let Brady go, and then took on his responsibility instead of delegating it to someone else on the staff, is a dead giveaway that he's grasping desperately right now. Reich isn't good enough at his current duties, how does this make him or the QB better?

We were talking about how important stability is for a young QB in a different thread, and here we are now with Sam having his OC fired just a week after getting the starting job. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well we would still get a new OL coach at least.

They may fire Strausser and ask OL assistant Kevin Mawae to coach OL exclusively, to see how well he does too, that is not out of the realm of possibility.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They are going to hire another OC, right?  They've always had one.   I wouldn't think that they would fire someone without having a plan for succession or for the direction they want to head.  Certainly Frank will have to do more work until then though.

Really... Your assumption is based on the idea that this coaching staff has it all figured out?

They spent three years talking about how good Sirianni is, he's an amazing offensive mind, Reich just had to have him on his staff, and 'we know he's going to be a HC soon.' Their succession plan was Marcus Brady, who just got fired after 25 games. You think their succession plan to the succession plan is going to be any better? I'm shocked you even think they have one.

Marcus Brady didn't show us anything to suggest he was good in his role. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have been fired. But I think it's pretty clear that Reich is trying to take control of his own future, and if he goes down it's on his own terms. He has never shown any inclination toward giving up play calling. Now he's taking on more resposibility. He's an offensive minded HC, and this team is being held back by the offense. He has to try to turn it around in the next eight games, or else he's likely going to be shown the door. And if he turns it around by taking on more control, why would he then turn around and surrender that control? It would only reinforce in his mind that he has to be more involved with the offense, not less. 

How we get from this to 'if he hires another OC, he'll probably give him more responsibility' is inexplicable, IMO. First, I think Reich is more likely to be fired than he is to hire another OC. Second, I'd be shocked if he gives up more control of the offense moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Really... Your assumption is based on the idea that this coaching staff has it all figured out?

They spent three years talking about how good Sirianni is, he's an amazing offensive mind, Reich just had to have him on his staff, and 'we know he's going to be a HC soon.' Their succession plan was Marcus Brady, who just got fired after 25 games. You think their succession plan to the succession plan is going to be any better? I'm shocked you even think they have one.

Marcus Brady didn't show us anything to suggest he was good in his role. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have been fired. But I think it's pretty clear that Reich is trying to take control of his own future, and if he goes down it's on his own terms. He has never shown any inclination toward giving up play calling. Now he's taking on more resposibility. He's an offensive minded HC, and this team is being held back by the offense. He has to try to turn it around in the next eight games, or else he's likely going to be shown the door. And if he turns it around by taking on more control, why would he then turn around and surrender that control? It would only reinforce in his mind that he has to be more involved with the offense, not less. 

How we get from this to 'if he hires another OC, he'll probably give him more responsibility' is inexplicable, IMO. First, I think Reich is more likely to be fired than he is to hire another OC. Second, I'd be shocked if he gives up more control of the offense moving forward. 

The Office Boom GIF

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sneak peek at Frank's play calling sheet:

#1 Run up the middle at all costs 

#2 Use TE's one game each and then forget that they exist

#3 3rd and 15? 1st and Goal? Regardless of situation......resort to #1

#4 Hope that the QB can bail you out of your crappy decisions

You forgot: Drive deep into opposing territory and hand them the football.  "here you go.  We planned on punting back there anyway."

Lol this offense been stale since the Luck days so whether it be Frank or Brady this OFF has not been consistent while Frank/Ballard have been together yes this person scripts these or that plays but final call on the play seems to be our HC and he loves that one yard run up the middle with hines  lol..you tellin me M.Brady was the one gameplanning to do that for “years” even b4 he became “our” Oc nah….

Archived