Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fire OC Marcus Brady

Bravo

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Really... Your assumption is based on the idea that this coaching staff has it all figured out?

They spent three years talking about how good Sirianni is, he's an amazing offensive mind, Reich just had to have him on his staff, and 'we know he's going to be a HC soon.' Their succession plan was Marcus Brady, who just got fired after 25 games. You think their succession plan to the succession plan is going to be any better? I'm shocked you even think they have one.

Marcus Brady didn't show us anything to suggest he was good in his role. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have been fired. But I think it's pretty clear that Reich is trying to take control of his own future, and if he goes down it's on his own terms. He has never shown any inclination toward giving up play calling. Now he's taking on more resposibility. He's an offensive minded HC, and this team is being held back by the offense. He has to try to turn it around in the next eight games, or else he's likely going to be shown the door. And if he turns it around by taking on more control, why would he then turn around and surrender that control? It would only reinforce in his mind that he has to be more involved with the offense, not less. 

How we get from this to 'if he hires another OC, he'll probably give him more responsibility' is inexplicable, IMO. First, I think Reich is more likely to be fired than he is to hire another OC. Second, I'd be shocked if he gives up more control of the offense moving forward. 

Well, my instinct told me that the move of Sam to #2 was a prelude to him taking over for Ryan as starter if the offense didn't improve, (he did) while others were saying it was for a few gimmick plays in a game.  That comes from their inability or unwillingness to see Sam as a starter.  

I just have the same feeling about this.  This isn't a move that is a precursor to firing Frank.  Its a move where all three (or "we have just relieved" as Irsay just tweeted) are in agreement to get new blood into the offense, probably to maximize Sam's potential or to test-trial new plans for a similar QB they draft.

For whatever reason, Brady was not seen as a fit for that plan.   I don't know how they get new blood, whom, or what form that takes.  But, that's why they fire Brady now instead of after the season...to get to work on that goal ASAP...because they ain't gonna fire anybody at the end of the season, other than maybe Strausser.  (although some/most can't fathom that). 

We'll see if a trade happens today.  If so, its more signs that Frank and Ballard are staying and they are trying to "rebuild" the O a bit.  Sam was the first step.

My opinion is based on instinct at this point, since I don't really know the duties of Frank or Brady during the week.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Something is wrong 3 pro level offensive line men are playing horrible . I doubt all three just fell off a cliff at the sane time .   It was as soon as Brady and the new line coach came in .    Offense looked good under nick . Frank might be calling plays but the creativity died after nick left 

Chris Strausser came in 2019. The Colts OL was pretty good in 19 and 20 when AC was healthy. 

The OL struggles, IMO, has much more to do with losing AC. Plus, this team has also gotten worse at RG this year and lost a very good blocking TE in Jack Doyle. So I think the issue is much more to do with personnel. 

It's not like Reich is hands off with the offense. From everything we have seen and heard he is very involved and hands on with it. When analyzing problems with the plays/scheme on offense then I'm looking at Frank Reich. 

2 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Chris Strausser came in 2019. The Colts OL was pretty good in 19 and 20 when AC was healthy. 

The OL struggles, IMO, has much more to do with losing AC. Plus, this team has also gotten worse at RG this year and lost a very good blocking TE in Jack Doyle. So I think the issue is much more to do with personnel. 

It's not like Reich is hands off with the offense. From everything we have seen and heard he is very involved and hands on with it. When analyzing problems with the plays/scheme on offense then I'm looking at Frank Reich. 

Like holder said this morning nobody knows how much input anyone had. But Reich had other duties as head coach. I doubt he was micromanaging the schemes ect.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

I don't know much about the guy, and haven't seen many/any interviews with him..... until last week, I saw his presser posted on the home page, and he was totally uninspiring, so, based on my limited experience with him, I'm not surprised.

The two coordinators talk every week.   Both Brady and Bradley.   The videos are always up on the main page.   Click on “view” and you’ll find the videos. 

23 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It would be nice to promote Reggie 

Absolutely not. He's been coaching for almost half of a season and is doing really well as the WR coach. Why would we want to pull him away from the young WR unit that he's done such great work with so far?

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, my instinct told me that the move of Sam to #2 was a prelude to him taking over for Ryan as starter if the offense didn't improve, (he did) while others were saying it was for a few gimmick plays in a game.  That comes from their inability or unwillingness to see Sam as a starter.  

I just have the same feeling about this.  This isn't a move that is a precursor to firing Frank.  Its a move where all three (or "we have just relieved" as Irsay just tweeted) are in agreement to get new blood into the offense, probably to maximize Sam's potential or to test-trial new plans for a similar QB they draft.

For whatever reason, Brady was not seen as a fit for that plan.   I don't know how they get new blood, whom, or what form that takes.  But, that's why they fire Brady now instead of after the season...to get to work on that goal ASAP...because they ain't gonna fire anybody at the end of the season, other than maybe Strausser.  (although some/most can't fathom that). 

We'll see if a trade happens today.  If so, its more signs that Frank and Ballard are staying and they are trying to "rebuild" the O a bit.  Sam was the first step.

All based on instinct at this point, since I don't really know the duties of Frank or Brady during the week.

Got it, it's based on your intuition.

I don't see it that way, based on how Reich has handled the offense for four and a half seasons now. And I'm convinced that he's not good enough to be the HC, so I'm thinking he needs to be replaced after this year. But Irsay gave him a vote of confidence recently, so I don't know what will actually happen. 

But if Reich is retained, under the condition that he hires a better OC and gives up some control, that would be an interesting compromise. I don't know if it would work -- it would be heavily dependent on who the new OC would be, and other corresponding staff changes -- but I think it would be a necessary change. 

To the bolded, we know Brady did something. We know Reich is already struggling, and now whatever "something" Brady was doing, Reich is taking that on as well. Doesn't seem like a good path forward. And as I said earlier, the idea that there's something positive brewing for the future is hard to believe in, given how the decision making has worked out so far. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Total scapegoat move. What a joke. 

If this doesn't force Irsay and CB to see the Frank is the real issue, then nothing will. 

That’s the thing right? With this move, Frank can’t hide behind anyone else 

At this point, I could see Frank "assuming" the role/responsibilities of OC for the rest of the season, but actually getting Scotty Montgomery more involved in actually helping with some of those responsibilities. If it works out and our offense turns things around, maybe Montgomery gets the vacant OC position, but if it doesn't, he's not getting "tainted" with being responsible for the poor offensive performance. :dunno:

He's had interest as OC with a few teams this past offseason, so it would be insane for Frank to not lean on Montgomery more without Brady there.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

At this point, I could see Frank "assuming" the role/responsibilities of OC for the rest of the season, but actually getting Scotty Montgomery more involved in actually helping with some of those responsibilities. If it works out and our offense turns things around, maybe Montgomery gets the vacant OC position, but if it doesn't, he's not getting "tainted" with being responsible for the poor offensive performance. :dunno:

He's had interest as OC with a few teams this past offseason, so it would be insane for Frank to not lean on Montgomery more without Brady there.

Especially when your probably going to run more RPO with Sam as QB. He is supposed to be a master at that.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see it that way, based on how Reich has handled the offense for four and a half seasons now. And I'm convinced that he's not good enough to be the HC, so I'm thinking he needs to be replaced after this year. But Irsay gave him a vote of confidence recently, so I don't know what will actually happen. 

But if Reich is retained, under the condition that he hires a better OC and gives up some control, that would be an interesting compromise. I don't know if it would work -- it would be heavily dependent on who the new OC would be, and other corresponding staff changes -- but I think it would be a necessary change. 

To the bolded, we know Brady did something. We know Reich is already struggling, and now whatever "something" Brady was doing, Reich is taking that on as well. Doesn't seem like a good path forward. And as I said earlier, the idea that there's something positive brewing for the future is hard to believe in, given how the decision making has worked out so far. 

Just connecting some dots...with some huge gaps that are in between, admittedly. 

I think they are going away from that traditional pocket passer offense, which is really what they had going back to Luck, (remember, the other QB was going to be pocket passer Winston if not Ryan) or else they just would have promoted Foles over Ryan.  The Sam moves signals a change in their approach, IMO...or at least testing those waters for the rest of the season.  I think they simply saw Brady as being not as helpful towards that, for whatever reason.  

They are modernizing the O.  If Reich is on board with this and seen as someone who can do it (why couldn't he, the guy has been in FB for 45 years...I think he understands 22 X's and O's on the field better than most), then he stays.  And they'll find an OC for synergy with the new approach and maybe add some fresh ideas.  JMO.

Strausser must have pictures. I just cannot recall such a freefall for a once formidable unit. The OL has been the eye of the storm all season long. From the benching of Ryan, to the nonexistent run game with a premier RB, to the drive killing penalties. The only explanation that would make any sense is if Strausser had been in disagreement with Brady the whole time on blocking schemes and assignments. I guess we will find out. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah this is troubling for sure

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My opinion is based on instinct at this point, since I don't really know the duties of Frank or Brady during the week.

Disagree a bit on the "not firing Frank" part. 

I think firing Brady is taking the brake off and making Frank totally responsible for the offense --- it's revival or continued struggles. 

If it still falls apart, then Frank could be the next on the chopping block. Don't know how Irsay feels about Ballard at this point.

He, I think, made a huge mistake in letting Glowinski, Chris Reed and Fisher all go in the offseason. The ONE thing Mr. Ballard has preached is building the lines -- and the line is the one thing that has totally come off the rails this year...

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just connecting some dots...with some huge gaps that are in between, admittedly. 

I think they are going away from that traditional pocket passer offense, which is really what they had going back to Luck, (remember, the other QB was going to be pocket passer Winston if not Ryan) or else they just would have promoted Foles over Ryan.  The Sam moves signals a change in their approach, IMO...or at least testing those waters for the rest of the season.  I think they simply saw Brady as being not as helpful towards that, for whatever reason.  

They are modernizing the O.  If Reich is on board with this and seen as someone who can do it (why couldn't he, the guy has been in FB for 45 years), then he stays.  And they'll find an OC for synergy with the new approach and maybe add some fresh ideas.  JMO.

great opinion

3 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Strausser must have pictures. I just cannot recall such a freefall for a once formidable unit. The OL has been the eye of the storm all season long. From the benching of Ryan, to the nonexistent run game with a premier RB, to the drive killing penalties. The only explanation that would make any sense is if Strausser had been in disagreement with Brady the whole time on blocking schemes and assignments. I guess we will find out. 

It could be possible they think the play design and scheming Brady was doing was causing the oline to play that bad. Just a thought don’t know if that is even a possibility.

I seem to remember Frank contesting a face mask non-call and getting the play into Ryan a bit late.  The play he called turned into a pick 6.  Now Frank is taking on even more responsibilities.  If he did that poorly calling plays and arguing calls with the ref, how well do you think he'll do when he has to talk to his QB and offense after each drive as well as handle game time situations when the D is on the field?

I don't see things ending up well for Sam or the Colts in general.

4 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

nelson must really be having issues with his back

3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I seem to remember Frank contesting a face mask non-call and getting the play into Ryan a bit late.  The play he called turned into a pick 6.  Now Frank is taking on even more responsibilities.  If he did that poorly calling plays and arguing calls with the ref, how well do you think he'll do when he has to talk to his QB and offense after each drive as well as handle game time situations when the D is on the field?

I don't see things ending up well for Sam or the Colts in general.

That was more on Ryan. Ryan is a 15 year vet. He had several options. He could of audibles out of the play. Could of even of called a time out himself. Also could of just thrown ball away or spoked it.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They are modernizing the O.  If Reich is on board with this and seen as someone who can do it (why couldn't he, the guy has been in FB for 45 years), then he stays and they'll find an OC for synergy with the new approach and maybe have some fresh ideas.  JMO.

IMO if they're going to modernize the offense, that effort needs to be spearheaded by someone other than Reich. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That was more on Ryan. Ryan is a 15 year vet. He had several options. He could of audibles out of the play. Could of even of called a time out himself. Also could of just thrown ball away or spoked it.

...and that is a reasonable response to that issue.  I still hold on the other issue I raise.  I don't see him able to do it all during a game when his workload has increased all the more and his attention is going to be split more.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

...and that is a reasonable response to that issue.  I still hold on the other issue I raise.  I don't see him able to do it all during a game when his workload has increased all the more and his attention is going to be split more.

Exactly. He already struggles with his duties, and now he has more. 

8 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Disagree a bit on the "not firing Frank" part. 

I think firing Brady is taking the brake off and making Frank totally responsible for the offense --- it's revival or continued struggles. 

If it still falls apart, then Frank could be the next on the chopping block. 

Could work that way, certainly.

To your point, Irsay drove the Sam bus over Ryan.  So maybe he's done with the pocket passer offense in 2022 and beyond and thinks Frank can't adjust.  That's possible.

We have had pocket passing QBs ever since Reich/Ballard got here.   Although they drafted and like Sam, who is not.  

We'll see if they are allowed to adjust or if Reich is considered a perpetual out of touch dinosaur.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

IMO if they're going to modernize the offense, that effort needs to be spearheaded by someone other than Reich. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Exactly. He already struggles with his duties, and now he has more. 

17 minutes ago, Gigc said:

If it still falls apart, then Frank could be the next on the chopping block.

So said another way, this is Irsay's way of tanking this year without really tanking.  By making the HC he is losing confidence in struggle more.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It could be possible they think the play design and scheming Brady was doing was causing the oline to play that bad. Just a thought don’t know if that is even a possibility.

Yeah, hard to tell. The clearly thought he was part of the dysfunction to hand him his walking papers mid-season. I would need some convincing that Strausser should not be standing next to Brady at the Train Station.

Good stuff on this podcast. Charlie thinks Irsay apologized for forcing Wentz out and Ryan move he has told Reich don’t worry about your job and starting Sam just do the best you can and we will figure it out after the season.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/whos-got-next-with-wish-tvs-charlie-clifford/id1508442475?i=1000584645376

Archived