Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fire OC Marcus Brady

Bravo

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, with us speculating as to why fire....right now mid season and on a Tuesday.... I was thinking that maybe he pulled a Grigson, said something or did something that would not wear well. 

He probably told Frank we need to bench kelly and Pryor and got fired lol 

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

First, they cut Blankenship.....scapegoat 1....

Now they fire the OC who isn't even responsible for the in-game play-calling? Scapegoat 2...

The Offensive line went from top 2 to bottom 2 under Strausser, why is he not getting the axe......?

This seems very odd and very much like Reich circling the wagons and saying it isn't me.......lol

It almost seems like Irsay told Ballard to fire someone. Then Ballard told Frank to fire someone. Then Frank said he’d fire the next guy to walk into his office, and here came Brady….

11 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we dont know who actually calls the plays this board just assumes its frank

um, yes we do know, it's come directly from Frank's mouth.  He calls the plays and, according to him, he's never considered giving that up.

Irsay getting destroyed on SM. 

Indy Star even wrote an article about replies... lol..

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/11/01/colts-owner-jim-irsay-announces-coach-firing-and-twitter-reacts/69609835007/

Not suggesting Brady is good, but wreaks.... total scapegoat move... 

And moving Hines after the extension, and all the chatter about using him more...  

Joke look... all over the place... 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I thought the same. Fans here used to complain about Cirianni and other OCs too. 

Since Tom Moore (1998-2009), we've had:

Clyde Christensen (2010-11)

Bruce Arians (2012)

Pep Hamilton (2013-15)

Rob Chudzinski (2016-17)

Nick Sirianni (2018-2020)

Marcus Brady (2021-22)

Frank Reich? 

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Bruce Arians (2012)

Pep Hamilton (2013-15)

Rob Chudzinski (2016-17)

Marcus Brady (2021-22)

Frank Reich? 

Some have said this may signal that the end is near for Reich. It is possible that Brady was a figure head and was expendable. Being an outsider, I had not heard of him before. I know all the other ones you listed there.

By the way, was Reich calling plays when Cirianni was here? 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Some have said this may signal that the end is near for Reich. It is possible that Brady was a figure head and was expendable. Being an outsider, I had not heard of him before. I know all the other ones you listed there.

Always has

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Bruce Arians (2012)

Pep Hamilton (2013-15)

Rob Chudzinski (2016-17)

Marcus Brady (2021-22)

Frank Reich? 

Some of them were departures due to  promotions (Arians and Sirianni), and some were fired/hired due to regime changes (GM/HC changes). 

I think Pep and Marcus were the only firings when the HC and/or GM stayed. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Irsay getting destroyed on SM. 

Indy Star even wrote an article about replies... lol..

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/11/01/colts-owner-jim-irsay-announces-coach-firing-and-twitter-reacts/69609835007/

Not suggesting Brady is good, but wreaks.... total scapegoat move... 

And moving Hines after the extension, and all the chatter about using him more...  

Joke look... all over the place... 

Feedback from the ignorant is just part of it.

Campbell is playing at a high level in the slot. Hines IS NOT running well and he is a lame pass blocker. His replacement is a tank runner and a very effective pass blocker. A solid deal without the draft pick.

We have a horrible record in the first half offensively and are way to predictable. Brady, as SUP said, will probably never get another NFL OC JOB again. 

Cry if you want to ......... Hines got squeezed out and knew he was an albatross so he wanted something different. Good Luck.

We will see what Frank being more hands on game planning looks like.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Some of them were departures due to  promotions (Arians and Sirianni), and some were fired/hired due to regime changes (GM/HC changes). 

I think Pep and Marcus were the only firings when the HC and/or GM stayed. 

That is correct. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Feedback from the ignorant is just part of it.

Campbell is playing at a high level in the slot. Hines IS NOT running well and he is a lame pass blocker. His replacement is a tank runner and a very effective pass blocker. A solid deal without the draft pick.

We have a horrible record in the first half offensively and are way to predictable. Brady, as SUP said, will probably never get another NFL OC JOB again. 

Cry if you want to ......... Hines got squeezed out and knew he was an albatross so he wanted something different. Good Luck.

We will see what Frank being more hands on game planning looks like.

Sorry.. we just extended... with a huge raise... we look dumb... 

I like Moss as a power back, but he was a 3rd or 4th RB for the Bills. And he has injury concerns.

And Buffalo didn't really use him as a blocker. They gave more snaps to the FB (Gullium) than Moss for blocking. 

Regardless, I doubt it is a long term add. Bills would have cut/released Moss with the addition of Hines.

And the draft pick is a 6th, conditional (possibly a 5th).... And we used a 4th to draft him... So taking less, after we extended.. again, we look dumb. Screams to me that we were just to happy to unload him (and his salary).

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The fact is, is that nobody here seems to understand exactly what Marcus Brady actually did relative to what Frank does, yet many seem to know enough to criticize the firing.

He helped design plays and create the game plan but we don't know if his efforts stunk and were not actually used...or if they were fantastic and used a lot.

He probably was the guy who dictated TE/receiver rotations during a game, like Rathman did with the RBs last year.  That's something that Frank would be too busy to do when he's working the play call sheet.

During WAS, Granson seemed to be in on goal line situations instead of Woods...and missed key blocks both times.  And missed key edge blocks when other plays went wide.  So maybe his firing has something to do with not coordinating the right personnel for certain situations.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The fact is, is that nobody here seems to understand exactly what Marcus Brady actually did, yet many seem to know enough to criticize the firing.

He helped design plays and create the game plan but we don't know if any of his efforts stunk and were not actually used...or if they were fantastic and used a lot.

This comment suggests that you seem to understand exactly what he did, enough to applaud the firing. 

All fans have opinions. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

This comment suggests that you seem to understand exactly what he did, enough to applaud the firing. 

All fans have opinions. 

It does?  How is pointing out that nobody explaining what Marcus Brady did suggests that I know what Marcus Brady did?

You asked the question, was he a figure head?  The answer is, nobody really knows (by the measure of reading the comments posted here and on other threads).  Then I speculated, like everybody else is doing. 

14 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Once again Colts fire the wrong guy. Get out the gates to a very very very slow start every year under Frank and according to Irsay is safe. Fire Frank now and Stausser with him. Thats the right move. Frank is the guy who put together this coaching staff. Does this sound familiar. We let Bruce Arians leave for Phoenix and keep Chuck Pagano. Arians was a much better HC. Now We keep Frank and Nick Siriani is undefeated in Philly and The Bears are headed in the right direction. Who in management is making these bone head decisions. Only one person comes to mind in all cases. Jim Irsay. Yes i know Chuck had an illness but in business you do what's best  for your business and keeping Arians was the right decision. We hear I'll do what's best for this team. Really? Chick was never a great coach average at best. Frank is the same as Pagano average. Let John Fox finish this season as interim HC

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Ballard 100 percent needs to own the blame for going into the season with Pryor and Pinter as starters .  A career backup and a back up center 

So he owns it. What does that mean?
 You think he isn't surrounded by a whole staff and coaching staff that contributes there evaluation of personel at seasons end.
 What a joke. You can see the group think in our pre-draft shows. 
He has to have some level of trust from these people to make his final choice.

So really, he is somewhere North of 51% responsble.

25 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So he owns it. What does that mean?
 You think he isn't surrounded by a whole staff and coaching staff that contributes there evaluation of personel at seasons end.
 What a joke. You can see the group think in our pre-draft shows. 
He has to have some level of trust from these people to make his final choice.

So really, he is somewhere North of 51% responsble.

This stuff is just media fodder.  Owning it....its my deal....I'm responsible.  I mean, when you're the top dogs, you can't point out how other people are failing even if they are.

Irsay will make decisions based upon W/L records supplemented with private conversations about football stuff that took place over the years, now, or the remainder of the season.

What these guys say in presser's don't reveal anything.  

Even Holder admitted he really didnt know what MBs role was or how good he was at it.

Thats unusual for him, he likes to give opinions and present them as facts and tell everyone else they are wrong.  does it all the time but here he admitted he really doesnt know much 

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pfft

Watching the quarterback analysis after Sam’s first game I think he’s right. I specifically watched Pryor and D. Kelly for the most part.  They looked okay in the highlights I saw.  Pryor handled some handoffs very well and he got downfield in a couple of plays I saw.  Q did great on quite a few plays run blocking but I remember one terrible bull rush that he couldn’t handle.  I thought the line improved.  We will see what happens this week.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

It does?  How is pointing out that nobody explaining what Marcus Brady did suggests that I know what Marcus Brady did?

You asked the question, was he a figure head?  The answer is, nobody really knows (by the measure of reading the comments posted here and on other threads).  Then I speculated, like everybody else is doing. 

I think Frank has mentioned several times in press conferences and tweets what Brady did.

Brady came up with the game plan.  Then late in the week Frank and Marcus would sit down and Frank would review.

Frank would throw out the plays he didn't like and maybe add some he did like.  

In the end it was Franks game plan as Frank had to approve.

Then on game day, Frank would call the plays.

That was it.

18 hours ago, coming on strong said:

this film break down shows that its the execution not the play calls .   look at the first 3rd down of the game pittman messes up the pick play .    bad execution is killing the offense

It's always execution.  Focusing on the calls is something that fans specialize in.  There are some circumstances of course where calls are truly bad, like taking a shot deep from your endzone when your protections have been poor.  But generally if the players execute the play, if they're good enough vs their opponent on the other side, it will succeed.

Where you get big variance in production is gameplanning, where players who are well prepared for an opponent are seeing what they were told they would see in the game.  When they don't see what they expect to see that leads to things going wrong.  Also other things too of course like great individual plays made by the defense, as there is another team that can make plays too.  But sometimes like with the OL for example you'll see someone need to make a stretch block, which is hard to pull off.  Sometimes that is calculated and they think the player can do it.  Other times the defense is aligning in a way that is designed to blow up that scheme, meaning the DC anticipated it and made the play hard on the lineman.

There is that mini-game, the chess game if you will, and it's a really big part of winning and losing in this league.  Frank obviously felt his OC was not up to snuff and judging from the look of this offense there's a good chance he's right.  It's still his fault too btw.  But once you get there you gotta make the decision and trim the fat.

11 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think Frank has mentioned several times in press conferences and tweets what Brady did.

Brady came up with the game plan.  Then late in the week Frank and Marcus would sit down and Frank would review.

Frank would throw out the plays he didn't like and maybe add some he did like.  

In the end it was Franks game plan as Frank had to approve.

Then on game day, Frank would call the plays.

That was it.

Yeah,  Frank said that.  I don't think he said that was all Brady did in total. 

He also said that Brady works with the receivers during the week while Frank worked with the QBs.  I guess that means Brady worked with the receivers with installing and practicing the specific game plan.  (Reggie would work with developing them as individual players)

After hearing Frank's presser, when it comes to Brady it does get a bit weird at times, similar to Irsay's thumbs up in his termination notice.  Frank goes on about how well a guy who was just fired did his job. lol

Take a lesson from Belichick and in certain situations, like this, say as little as possible.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

After hearing Frank's presser, when it comes to Brady it does get a bit weird at times, similar to Irsay's thumbs up in his termination notice.  Frank goes on about how well a guy who was just fired did his job. lol

Take a lesson from Belichick and in certain situations, like this, say as little as possible.

Something went down.  Maybe just differences in philosophy.

Archived