Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where has Ballard been??

lollygagger8

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You folks are hilarious! Ballard is still considered (within the industry) as one of the best GM's in the NFL - though he is not without his faults, but in the current situation it is easy for me to see what's going on! The lion's share of the blame goes to the guy who states that they were unprepared and outcoached. Why would you look any farther than those statements?

The team has come out flat every week since week 16 of last year against the Raiders, for example:

Week 16 (Loss): 10 Points in the second quarter

Week 17 (Loss): 3 points in the second quarter

Week 1 (Tie): 3 points in the first quarter

Week 2 (Loss): 0 points for the ENTIRE game

Week 3 (Win): 7 points in the first quarter and 3 in the second quarter

Week 4 (Loss): 10 points in the second quarter

Week 5 (Win): 3 points in the second quarter

Week 6 (Win): 13 points in the second quarter

Week 7 (Loss): 0 points in the first half

Last 9 Games: 3-5-1

Reich has lost this team. They no longer respond to his voice as a leader.

1st Quarter: 10 points in 9 games = 1.11 points per quarter

2nd Quarter: 42 Points in 9 games = 4.67 points per quarter

Frank Reich is one of those coaches that is better at just being the OC and not the Head Coach imho......

Reich is the Colts head coach because Ballard bungled trying to hire the great Josh McDaniel of all people. With Reich now in his fifth season in Indianapolis, how is it that Ballard isn't fully responsible for him currently being the head coach? 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MPStack said:

And the team is in win now mode.

THAT is our BIGGEST problem

We need to make better decisions at key positions, vs. shoehorning old QBs into the system, in an attempt to win THIS YEAR

The answer is young QBs to develop.....  

Do you remember how BAD Peyton Manning was his first year??

We may   WILL need to work with a kid, and lose some games along the way......

Until we decide that a long term QB is the priority..... we will have this problem

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I'm feeling weird with all of this today. It's the same feeling I had in 2015. Things are starting to change. Are they going to change for the better? 

It’s going to get worse before it gets better and I’m okay with that.

Starting Sam, spells changes on the horizon. 

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

THAT is our BIGGEST problem

We need to make better decisions at key positions, vs. shoehorning old QBs into the system, in an attempt to win THIS YEAR

The answer is young QBs to develop.....  

Do you remember how BAD Peyton Manning was his first year??

We may   WILL need to work with a kid, and lose some games along the way......

Until we decide that a long term QB is the priority..... we will have this problem

Everything you stated, I’ve been saying the past three years or more. 

Thank U GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think Ballard will be given a shot by Irsay to draft a QB (assuming Elhinger doesn't work out). That would constitute as Ballard's last chance.   

The question is will Ballard actually draft a QB in the first round? He’s avoided doing it like a plague, and basically admitted openly that he’s scared to do it.

Knowing how Ballard operates, he’s more likely to say that he likes what he has in house and just say that Sam will get better and Rainman is the future at LT and stay put. He’ll trade down out the first for a bunch of extra picks and draft a CB, another pass rusher, a project guard, and use the rest of his picks on depth guys who won’t even make the final 53. That’s what history tells us Ballard will do.

And if that’s how Jim feels he should just fire him as opposed to demanding he draft a QB in the first round. Giving Ballard high draft picks is like giving a homeless person a 100 dollar bill.

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It’s going to get worse before it gets better and I’m okay with that.

Starting Sam, spells changes on the horizon. 

I think Irsay has previously thought that the team was a QB and a few fill-in FAs away.  His mind will probably change by the end of the season if it hasn't already.

Just now, DougDew said:

I think Irsay has previously thought that the team was a QB and a few fill-in FAs away.  His mind will probably change by the end of the season if it hasn't already.

Sounds like he’s temporarily taken over the GM duties. A good sign for the future.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sounds like he’s temporarily taken over the GM duties. A good sign for the future.

I'll still wager that it comes down to the math like any other season.  He fired Bill Tobin and Bill Polian after 3-13 records.  He fired RG at 8-8 but that was a personality issue too.

I think if we win only 4 to 6 games he cleans house.  If Frank coaches a 6th round pick QB to a 8/9 record, I see him keeping the regime but telling Ballard this time he needs to get a young QB through the draft if Sam isn't the guy. (He'll still be seen as a backup even if he balls out, IMO)

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'll still wager that it comes down to the math like any other season.  He fired Bill Tobin and Bill Polian after 3-13 records.  He fired RG at 8-8 but that was a personality issue too.

I think if we win only 4 to 6 games he cleans house.  If Frank coaches a 6th round pick QB to a 8/9 record, I see him keeping the regime but telling Ballard this time he needs to get a young QB through the draft if Sam isn't the guy. (He'll still be seen as a backup even if he balls out, IMO)

I think you need new leadership for the locker room. 

Players have been richly rewarded and are underperforming. The locker room is lost. 

What is Irsay telling the players by retaining Ballard, but he has to draft a QB No matter what or else.

That’s pretty weak. If, I was Ballard, I’d come to work everyday with my head down. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Players have been richly rewarded and are underperforming. The locker room is lost. 

What is Irsay telling the players by retaining Ballard, but he has to draft a QB No matter what or else.

That’s pretty weak. If, I was Ballard, I’d come to work everyday with my head down. 

The answer is Ballard and Reich.................  Gotta go

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

You folks are hilarious! Ballard is still considered (within the industry) as one of the best GM's in the NFL

Not sure that statement is true.  I have no idea how people within the industry view Ballard these days and I am not sure anything we would find would be the real truth of how people feel.

I wouldn't be surprised if people in the industry are questioning his approach to the QB and LT situation.

I just feel like both guys are to blame here.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

So, now the owner is actually the GM. 

Irsay: Chris get a QB or else, because this is your last chance.

Ballard: Yes Sir. I know I’m on a thin lease, but it was Grigson, Frank and Andrew’s fault.

I really don't wanna see Ballard draft a QB. I have a stupid gut feeling that he'll feel like he can trade back and still get his guy and we'll end up munching on the leftovers.

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not sure that statement is true.  I have no idea how people within the industry view Ballard these days and I am not sure anything we would find would be the real truth of how people feel.

I wouldn't be surprised if people in the industry are questioning his approach to the QB and LT situation.

I just feel like both guys are to blame here.

What was Grigson after his first year? Executive of the year!

36 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Irsay has already broken that ground last year with the Wentz comments early on...and even carving out a roster spot for TY when maybe other players were wondering if he deserved it.  IMO, you could see the attitude of the team change last year as they felt pressure when they struggled...as if the owner was watching closely and taking notes.  Then Irsay is the leader for a QB change and is berating his FO.  Why would anybody listen to a coach about their stability or livelihood if they expect the owner to wade in.   

I agree.  It probably needs a change.  But then Irsay needs to keep his mouth shut, IMO. 

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's not on the way out.  He's made some mistakes, like not finding suitable long term replacements at LT, knowing Castanzo verbally was nearing retirement, missing on several DL, and I'm still out on whether he's addressed the WR position, although Alec Pierce seems to be coming along nicely and will be a good longer term answer, apparently economically wasting JT's best years cuz we probably don't sign him to a second contract.  Then of course there's the QB assembly line recycling older QBs.  

But I think Reich is not the QB whisperer we once thought of him before he arrived.  And I think he's more of the problem we're running into.  He abandons the run WAAY to early.  His challenges are often just throwing the red flag at critical moments hoping for the best wihtout any regard to how bad the challenge looks on film.  It feels like no matter how we look one week, we come out completely flat the next and look just unprepared and outcoached.

Luck retiring obviously kicked off the QB circus.  He got average at best production out of JB which that was probably all you could really expect, but by the time opponents figured out he rarely ever threw downfield, they started lining up in the box and JB still wouldn't push up the field and we finished the season like 2-7 or something and missed the playoffs.  Rivers was are best start to the season under Frank and while Rivers couldn't throw the ball nearly as far as he had in the past, he was still able to challenge coverage and we got put out by an up and coming Bills team in a close game.  Bummer, but that was the most acceptable season in the Ballard/Reich era after Luck.  Wentz and Ryan were obviously not getting it done.  But the slow starts have been a staple except the Rivers year.  Putting us in a massive hole to start the season off.  That's coaching.  

You can blame it on "oh new QB every year."  And part of that is true, but for 1 or 2 games games, maybe.  You cant start the season behind the 8 ball and go 1-4 like under Wentz or 1-2-1 under Ryan and say, "eh a couple of plays go our way and its a winning record.  Particularly after we've proven we can start off 5-2 (I think, under both JB and Rivers).  No, coming out unprepared is the bigger culprit and that's a Frank Reich problem.

You lead off by saying Ballards not on his way out then go on to list all the reason why he should be. Forgot to add he dished out 40 Mil to positions that are not considered premium in todays NFL, G and LB. Throw in another 20 Mil to a C and RT. Then you have the highest paid oline in the league with no LT.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

As far as losing the locker room.  Irsay meddled with the locker room chemistry when he divided the players over vax.  Then when they actually got Covid and it became an issues in week 16, they naturally point fingers or wonder what the owner is going to do about it.  Its a huge distraction.  Then he gets into the middle of it again by demanding his Qb, the guy who he targeted his vax comments at during the season, be removed from the team. 

The main reason we fell apart at the end of last season is that the QB and all of the starting OL refused to listen to their owner and get vaxed. Yes, then they all got covid and played like crap for weeks afterward. The anti-vax OL players they kept are still playing like crap. Science confirms that COVID can cause cardiomyopathy in young males. Maybe Kelly, Q and the others that refused to do the right thing for the good of the team have been permanently damaged by the virus because they preferred to listen to conspiracy theories instead of SCIENCE and their owner. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

You folks are hilarious! Ballard is still considered (within the industry) as one of the best GM's in the NFL - though he is not without his faults, but in the current situation it is easy for me to see what's going on! The lion's share of the blame goes to the guy who states that they were unprepared and outcoached. Why would you look any farther than those statements?

The team has come out flat every week since week 16 of last year against the Raiders, for example:

Frank Reich is one of those coaches that is better at just being the OC and not the Head Coach imho......

Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

20 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

The main reason we fell apart at the end of last season is that the QB and all of the starting OL refused to listen to their owner and get vaxed. Yes, then they all got covid and played like crap for weeks afterward. The anti-vax OL players they kept are still playing like crap. Science confirms that COVID can cause cardiomyopathy in young males. Maybe Kelly, Q and the others that refused to do the right thing for the good of the team have been permanently damaged by the virus because they preferred to listen to conspiracy theories instead of SCIENCE and their owner. 

I think when the owner takes sides against the field captain on any issue, both the Qb and the the messengers in the middle of the organization...the coaches...lose their power because people just defer to the owner's message.   It creates a pressure point that interferes with function any time the situation gets important.  JMO.

41 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I really don't wanna see Ballard draft a QB. I have a stupid gut feeling that he'll feel like he can trade back and still get his guy and we'll end up munching on the leftovers.

What college quarterback has excellent measurables, but his ho-hum college stats and productivity make him an under the radar guy? Maybe he gets picked for the East-West All-Star Game and looks good in practice. Not one of the obvious picks, but one that Ballard and his scouts feel great about. A pick that will show that their scouting is better than the consensus picks that are based on more obvious achievements during a college career.    

18 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

What college quarterback has excellent measurables, but his ho-hum college stats and productivity make him an under the radar guy? Maybe he gets picked for the East-West All-Star Game and looks good in practice. Not one of the obvious picks, but one that Ballard and his scouts feel great about. A pick that will show that their scouting is better than the consensus picks that are based on more obvious achievements during a college career.    

In general not many great Qb's are selected outside the top 10 even less the farther you go back in the first. The fall off is around 14 where the multitude of great QBs sit and where Jim Kelly sits. After that the statistical average for hitting on a QB drops tremendously.

As we sit here today, scouts have a lot more to work with so it's harder for guys to fall through those cracks and sneak into the latter half of the first.

My fear is that Ballard being will be stingy with his picks and not want to give up the draft capital to go and get the sure fire pick. Instead I can see him sitting back and not be aggressive enough to go get the future of the franchise. Given this is all speculation of course and Ballard may react differently and be aggressive. I just have my doubts based on his track record.

Well at least frank taking his jabs at Ballard.. He said the Colts Failed Ryan.. He said they Failed to protect him and deliver what they promised him. 

And word is Irsay behind SamE. being elevated from #3 to #2 and now to starter and benching Ryan. Ballard now has a HC taking jabs at his roster and a owner who is meddling and calling roster changes.......so much for him being so arrogant and the smartest man in the room. 

I hope his days are numbered as well as Frank's.

34 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

In general not many great Qb's are selected outside the top 10 even less the farther you go back in the first. The fall off is around 14 where the multitude of great QBs sit and where Jim Kelly sits. After that the statistical average for hitting on a QB drops tremendously.

Yep.  That's where they live.  The top 15 or 20.  

33 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

My fear is that Ballard being will be stingy with his picks and not want to give up the draft capital to go and get the sure fire pick. Instead I can see him sitting back and not be aggressive enough to go get the future of the franchise. Given this is all speculation of course and Ballard may react differently and be aggressive. I just have my doubts based on his track record.

Not sure Ballard will be the GM when the draft comes. Regardless who the GM is, Ballard or someone else, Irsay will be making the pick, and I strongly think he will make sure the colts will be in position to draft a potential franchise QB, regardless of the resources needed.

Lol frank does nothing with the talent given to him..we can call Ballard out on some of his mistakes but his drafts have helped out when we’ve actually HAD the picks bows he’s trying to get us back to that point in terms of the draft..frank on the other hand can’t win the first 4 or 3 games of the season always says he’s out coached he’s just very bland and vanilla 

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I strongly think he will make sure the colts will be in position to draft a potential franchise QB, regardless of the resources needed.

Can you elaborate more? Sounds like tanking or do you mean trade up whatever the cost?

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's kind of disturbing how little Chris Ballard has been available/talking to the media. 

Over the years as GM, he's been on a lot of talk shows, done lots of pressers, and this year (and last) he's been a ghost. 

He's also pretty much left Frank out on his own with this whole QB change. 

Cowards hide

Frank is right that the Colts did not deliver Ryan what they promised.  But this is the NFL and you cannot count on perfect protections, so the promise was poorly made. 

This is also why Ryan was available, because the Falcons knew he was a liability the moment a defense throws off his timing.  And it proved out over his time with us, where the moment he was forced to move off his spot the pass play was done.

Irsay, for all his meddling, made the right call from two separate perspectives.  The first being that Frank is too nice and would never have benched Ryan on his own.  The second being pocket awareness is needed by the QB right now and the best QB on the roster in terms of pocket awareness is Ehlinger.  That happens to be his best asset.

So what will be interesting is if Ehlinger plays well.  And if/when that happens it calls into question whether Frank is the right guy for this team.  Because a coach has to have a style in the way he runs a team and makes decisions that jives with the owner.

Re: Ballard I expect he's been busy affixing Jim's drinks with the little umbrellas that bring smiles and good cheer to his office.  He is as good as done at this point.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think you have this backwards.   He’s better at being the HC than he is the OC.  

You might be the only person who thinks otherwise? 

Just now, FuedinHatfield said:

This is not the greatest year to be in the QB market either. I feel it's going to take more capital this year than most to leapfrog to get to where you want to be in that regard. 

Stroud, Young, Hooker, Levis....and I like Jaren Hall (BYU) as a shorter modern day dual threat QB...like Zach Wilson from BYU.  I think Levid and Hall can be had w/o a trade up.   Not sure where Hooker's going to land. 

There may be three QBs that don't require much capital to trade up a few slots.

Stroud will be the first pick off the board, and the Panthers or Lions will be tanking for him, LOL.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stroud, Young, Hooker, Levis....and I like Jaren Hall (BYU) as a shorter modern day dual threat QB...like Zach Wilson from BYU.  I think Levid and Hall can be had w/o a trade up.   Not sure where Hooker's going to land. 

Stroud will be the first pick off the board, and the Panthers or Lions will be tanking for him, LOL.

I'm from Kentucky and watch the Wildcats regularly. Levis is legit and I believe that's our most realistic option. Which isn't a bad thing. Levis is really throwing to 5 star recruits like Stroud and Young. He is also is using subpar talent against guys he's going to see on the next level and still doing very well. I may be biased but I really hope he's the pick.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not sure Ballard will be the GM when the draft comes. Regardless who the GM is, Ballard or someone else, Irsay will be making the pick, and I strongly think he will make sure the colts will be in position to draft a potential franchise QB, regardless of the resources needed.

This year is a less than stellar year as far as prospects go. Stroud will go at 1 and Young a close second at 2. Will Levis from Kentucky is the most viable as the 3rd rated right now. He has a 1-2 round grade per WalterFootball but he's rising quick. I almost certain he will go within top 10 and possibly top 5. After him no QB grades above a late first through third.

It's going to take some serious capital this year to move up. But if we're serious and can find the right dance partner who knows. 

10 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I'm from Kentucky and watch the Wildcats regularly. Levis is legit and I believe that's our most realistic option. Which isn't a bad thing. Levis is really throwing to 5 star recruits like Stroud and Young. He is also is using subpar talent against guys he's going to see on the next level and still doing very well. I may be biased but I really hope he's the pick.

This year is a less than stellar year as far as prospects go. Stroud will go at 1 and Young a close second at 2. Will Levis from Kentucky is the most viable as the 3rd rated right now. He has a 1-2 round grade per WalterFootball but he's rising quick. I almost certain he will go within top 10 and possibly top 5. After him no QB grades above a late first through third.

It's going to take some serious capital this year to move up. But if we're serious and can find the right dance partner who knows. 

Huh it’s a great QB class

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What’s nice about Hooker is his age. Maybe more mature and more ready. But scouts may look at that as a negative. Will be 25 in Jan I think.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Texans tanking for Stroud  lol. This division could get harder if Lawrence ever improve.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The question is will Ballard actually draft a QB in the first round? He’s avoided doing it like a plague, and basically admitted openly that he’s scared to do it.

I completely disagree with this take, just because he hasn’t picked a QB doesn’t mean he is avoiding or scared to pick one. Maybe it’s because he hasn’t like any of the QBs in reach. I mean aside from the year we had Luck and didn’t need a QB, look at the drafts. Yeah you have the number 1s like Burrow who we couldn’t of gotten even if we offered 4 1st rounders but aside from that none have really amounted to anything. 

2019: Daniel Jones 6th, Haskins 15th, Drew Lock 42nd. Colts: first pick 26th traded for two 2nds rounders. QB Brissett

2020: Tua 5th, Herbert 6th, Love 26th, Hurts 53rd. Colts first pick 13th traded for Buckner. QB Rivers

2021: Wilson 2nd, Fields 11th, Jones 15th, Trask 64th. Colts first pick 21st Paye, QB Wentz

2022: Pickett 20th. Colts first pick traded for Wentz. 

Best chance was 2020 but they had just acquired Rivers and needed DL in a bad way. 

Archived