Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where has Ballard been??

lollygagger8

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A 2021 1st only would mean you’d basically be able to have essentially the same 2020 draft we had and only miss out on Paye.

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also since I know it’ll come up, here’s the Lions GM talking about trying to trade down from 3

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/04/24/detroit-lions-nfl-draft-trade-down-jeff-okudah-bob-quinn/3017054001/

“We had a lot of conversations,” Quinn said in a video conference after Thursday's first round. “We never got a firm offer. No team put anything on the table. Had multiple conversations with multiple teams. They were kind of fishing around and we were open for business as you guys know, and nothing was ever put out in front of us to evaluate.”

And that’s just Detroit.

And Buckner.

There were no notable draft day trades in 2020, probably because of Covid. It seemed like all the teams wanted to hang back and see what was going to happen, and they felt the 2021 draft would be much deeper with players returning for additional seasons. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Giants

https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/giants-dave-gettleman-on-no-4-nfl-draft-pick-were-open-for-business/

“We’re open for business,” Gettleman said Tuesday at the NFL scouting combine. “Whatever we do is gonna be in our best interest.”

By the draft value chart, we could have given up our second and third round picks to move from 13 to 4.  If NYG was in the selling mood, they'd probably accept a value chart deal.

That was the year we had the Jets 2nd...and our own....we took Pitt at 34 with the Jets pick.  We traded up to 41 to get ahead of the Jags to take JT.  We used our third to take Blackmon.

So the trade really would have been (the players we would not have now for Herbert)   Buckner, JT, and Blackmon for Herbert. (and JT would probably be with the Jags).  Plus save the $15M? from extending Defo.

Would you make that trade?    I would. 

But it was also risky considering that Herbert was not considered to have had the best QB resume going in...but I think he nailed the combine IIRC.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sounds like though, the Lions did not want to drop down to being out of Okudah range.  They were looking for a day 2 pick to drop down a few slots.....but not to 13.  Hoping to trade with MIA or LAC who wanted a QB.

Trading down from the No. 3 pick in this year’s draft never was going to be easy for the Detroit Lions, and the fact Quinn wasn’t able to swing a deal to get extra picks and still get his man, Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah, should not be seen as a fail.  It’s not that Quinn’s asking price was too high, or his love for Okudah too deep.  No one else was interested in paying the cost to come up.

The Dolphins felt comfortable they could get Tagovailoa, and hold onto their plethora of draft capital, because of his medical warts, and the Chargers always seemed content to take whichever quarterback Miami did not.

It would have been great if Quinn could have finagled a Day 2 pick out of someone to move down a few spots. The Lions have enough holes on their roster, and there are enough good players left on the board, that an extra pick would have come in handy.

This doesn't seem clear that if Ballard offered pick 13 and next year's first, that DET would take it if they wanted Okudah.

While it was reported that he loved Okudah, a lot of media and Detroit fans did not want Quinn to make that pick at 3. They got blasted for making that pick with people saying they should’ve traded down, the same way Colts fans say they should’ve passed on Buckner and traded up.

Realistically, the Lions were more than a CB away from competing. A drop to 14 may have meant missing on Okudah but if they would’ve gotten a 1st round pick out of it, I’m sure they’re fanbase would’ve understood. 2020 was a bad draft clas overall.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its unclear how far they would have traded.  Seems like they could have been bought for the right price though.

Trading back has its danger,” Gettleman warned. “We’re at four. Let’s say you trade back to eight. There’s only four players we like, what if they’re all gone? Now what are you gonna do? Are you gonna trade back again? You can trade yourself back out of good players, but we’re open.

Gettleman never traded down in his career. That was the big talk leading up to the draft. He was dead set on getting a LT though. Looking at how everyone else drafted after his pick, it stands to reason that he still would’ve gotten one of the tackles though.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

By the draft value chart, we could have given up our second and third round picks to move from 13 to 4 and take Herbert with the NYG pick.

That was the year we had the Jets 2nd...and our own....we took Pitt at 34 with the Jets pick.  We traded up to 41 to get ahead of the Jags to take JT.  We used our third to take Blackmon.

So the trade really would have been (the players we would not have now for Herbert)   Buckner, JT, and Blackmon for Herbert. (and JT would probably be with the Jags).  Plus save the $15M? from extending Defo.

Yeah I’d do that in a heartbeat. JT is great but again, positional value. 

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I’d do that in a heartbeat. JT is great but again, positional value. 

It would have looked more like a traditional rebuild after losing Luck.  Got your franchise QB and a young WR mate.  Rivers bridges us for two years...ends up being only 1.

Probably could have found another DL and RB with the FA money saved from not trading for Buck.

28 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Yeah I'm sure. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm a scientist and a physician. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/heart-problems-after-covid19

Well Doc, we can't really run the experiment over and see if we get different results now can we? 

It's not "science" as if there is some provable case.  There are simply theories of vax effectiveness overall in the pandemic.  It's far from settled what effect the vax campaign actually had globally.  

What kind of risk did Carson Wentz and Darius Leonard run by not getting vaxxed?

I'll answer that for.  

Basically NONE as young men. 

As far as your heart problems article, I know a young woman in her 20s who almost died of myocarditis after her vax.   She was basically in no danger of dying of Covid as young woman. 

I took the vax and so did my wife and sons.

For you to sit there and judge a guy for deciding not to take an unstudied vaccine with dubious effectiveness as a prophylactic which would "help others at risk" even though he had little to no chance of problems with Covid himself seems a bit off. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well Doc, we can't really run the experiment over and see if we get different results now can we? 

It's not "science" as if there is some provable case.  There are simply theories of vax effectiveness overall in the pandemic.  It's far from settled what effect the vax campaign actually had globally.  

What kind of risk did Carson Wentz and Darius Leonard run by not getting vaxxed?

I'll answer that for.  

Basically NONE as young men. 

As far as your heart problems article, I know a young woman in her 20s who almost died of myocarditis after her vax.   She was basically in no danger of dying of Covid as young woman. 

I took the vax and so did my wife and sons.

For you to sit there and judge a guy for deciding not to take an unstudied vaccine with dubious effectiveness as a prophylactic which would "help others at risk" even though he had little to no chance of problems with Covid himself seems a bit off. 

Address him as Clubber from now on Mr Nick (sarcasm) Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

52 minutes ago, DougDew said:

By the draft value chart, we could have given up our second and third round picks to move from 13 to 4.  If NYG was in the selling mood, they'd probably accept a value chart deal.

But it was also risky considering that Herbert was not considered to have had the best QB resume going in...but I think he nailed the combine IIRC.

What has Herbert done in the NFL? We’ve anointed him and he hasn’t done squat 

On 10/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, Dr. T said:

The main reason we fell apart at the end of last season is that the QB and all of the starting OL refused to listen to their owner and get vaxed. Yes, then they all got covid and played like crap for weeks afterward. The anti-vax OL players they kept are still playing like crap. Science confirms that COVID can cause cardiomyopathy in young males. Maybe Kelly, Q and the others that refused to do the right thing for the good of the team have been permanently damaged by the virus because they preferred to listen to conspiracy theories instead of SCIENCE and their owner. 

And Good Lord Son.   Is this completely unfounded tinfoil hat goofball of a theory under your aegis of "science"?

Agenda driven much?

On 10/25/2022 at 8:56 AM, coming on strong said:

Paye also was on pace for 10 sacks before being injured . The team has talent at wr now and pass rush .    

When Paye left that game they just ran to his vacancy.  It was so clear what value he has.   He is a stud!

9 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

What has Herbert done in the NFL? We’ve anointed him and he hasn’t done squat 

Played really well his first 3 years in the NFL. He threw for 5,000 yards and 38 TDs last year. The Chargers have a legitimate franchise QB that can compete with Allen and Mahomes.

Archived