Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Facyson vs. Rodgers

Mr.Debonair

Anybody have any answer here, outside of maybe familiarity with Gus system.

I have yet to see him do anything to warrant the play time he gets.

On top of his horrific play today.

Rodgers isnt perfect but I don’t understand the amount time Facyson gets on the field

Rodgers has been getting more PT each week and Facyson was benched in the 2nd half for Rodgers. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully, that means Rodgers will keep the role over Facyson going forward.

I'd rather see Dallis Flowers and Tony Brown on the field before Facyson, at this point.

14 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Rodgers has been getting more PT each week and Facyson was benched in the 2nd half for Rodgers. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully, that means Rodgers will keep the role over Facyson going forward.

I'd rather see Dallis Flowers and Tony Brown on the field before Facyson, at this point.

Facyson was in there up to the last drive because he had some costly mistakes.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Facyson was in there up to the last drive because he had some costly mistakes.

I didn't see him much at all (and I was looking). Rodgers definitely took over for him in 2nd half. I assume Facyson may have still seen a few snaps as 4th man.

6 hours ago, bestQBever said:

The answer is size. Gus wants a brandon browner like player at the #2 corner spot. Having said that, Rodgers is just way better than Facyson.

That part is understandable. But Rodgers is the better player regardless of size. If he wants a CB with size he should take that up with Ballard. 

28 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

This is where losing rock hurts the most . He was our best corner last year . If there was a way to get yannick without giving up rock the defense would be in great shape 

Gilly > Rock... I'd argue Rodgers > Rock...

The loss of Rock is not the issue. The continued reliance and unwavering belief in Facyson is the problem.

Facyson bad tackling angles and effort almost drove me crazy last game. A great example was against the Titans this year Facyson took a horrible angle against Henry and he busted a huge gain. Later in the same game Rodgers was in the same scenario and he took the right angle and stopped for no gain. Rodgers plays with more effort and has more potential imo so play him over Facyson already.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Facyson bad tackling angles and effort almost drove me crazy last game. A great example was against the Titans this year Facyson took a horrible angle against Henry and he busted a huge gain. Later in the same game Rodgers was in the same scenario and he took the right angle and stopped for no gain. Rodgers plays with more effort and has more potential imo so play him over Facyson already.

I hope Gus doesn't play Facyson way too much, won't be easy to dig out of a hole in TN vs a team that likes to ride Henry with a lead. 

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

The loss of Rock is not the issue. The continued reliance and unwavering belief in Facyson is the problem.

at least rock was a superb tackler. 

11 minutes ago, Pat Curtis said:

Rodgers reminds me of a little taller Jason David.  Straight ball hawk but slight in the frame.  100% effort regardless of size.

Facyson.....has the measurables....plays like Tim Jennings.  Can't cover.....won't tackle.

Facyson is flat out bad. The only reason he is on this roster is Gus Bradley.  There is nothing positive about his play. Actually would be surprised if he plays at all this sunday. 

9 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Rock has a 66.1 PFF score this year, 69.9 last year.

He has played decent

Gilly - 73.8

Rodgers - 82.3

Facyson - 59.1( been steadily dropping week by week)

Rock is playing a little better than Facyson.

The real question should be Rodgers vs Moore.

On RYS... Rock was never really a CB1 type for us. Rhodes was brought in to be CB1. So it's really Gilly vs Rhodes. And Gilly is an obvious upgrade. 

So I'd say... (2022 vs 2021)

CB1 - Gilmore > Rhodes

CB2 - RYS > Facyson 

But Rodgers is easily better than Facyson. But Rodgers' make-up screams NB

Worst CB in passer rating allowed, Moore. 

Worst CB in TDs allowed, Moore.

The only DB that is worse in both, is Blackmon.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

He has played decent

Gilly - 73.8

Rodgers - 82.3

Thanks for posting these.    My only note is that assuming yesterdays game was as bad as everyone thinks it was, I believe Facyson had a score roughly in the mid-60’s.    All things considered, not too terrible.  

Again, I didn’t see yesterdays game.    The consensus appears near unanimous, that Facyson was indeed terrible.   I’d guess that Gus (and Frank) make the expected change this week and start Rodgers. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for posting these.    My only note is that assuming yesterdays game was as bad as everyone thinks it was, I believe Facyson had a score roughly in the mid-60’s.    All things considered, not too terrible.  

Again, I didn’t see yesterdays game.    The consensus appears near unanimous, that Facyson was indeed terrible.   I’d guess that Gus (and Frank) make the expected change this week and start Rodgers. 

Lat week running season total

Facyson - 65.4 #40

Facyson had score in mid 60's as a running total last week. It has dropped by 6pts. Which now has him at #67. So yeah it was a bad week. 27 other corners past him on season rankings.

Not sure of weekly grade but it had to be well below 59, I would have to think, for his overall to drop 6pts.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

He has played decent

Gilly - 73.8

Rodgers - 82.3

In coverage facyon is not bad he is solid . It’s the run and screen game that is killing us . That is where rock shined . Rock was a very physical tackler and would blow up screen plays .  Losing two very physical secondary players in Willis and rock made us vulnerable to screens and outside runs .

So far every time he’s in he has been a liability. I have yet to see him do anything good for our defense, and when replaced by Rodgers, the defense does better as a unit. 

so how many examples does Gus need before he just stops with this? 

1 hour ago, Indy87 said:

So far every time he’s in he has been a liability. I have yet to see him do anything good for our defense, and when replaced by Rodgers, the defense does better as a unit. 

so how many examples does Gus need before he just stops with this? 

Give Me More GIF by StickerGiant

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

On RYS... Rock was never really a CB1 type for us. Rhodes was brought in to be CB1. So it's really Gilly vs Rhodes. And Gilly is an obvious upgrade. 

CB1 - Gilmore > Rhodes

CB2 - RYS > Facyson 

You mentioned Blackmon.  It was a major boost to this Defense when he went down.  I don't know if I'd say the other guys are that good at FS in 3, but they are competent.   JB was a terrible, incompetent FS in this system.  

Personnel has often baffled me with this regime.  The Facyson/Rodgers thing seems to follow in the same vein.  It's almost like management doesn't trust the film.  They are in denial it seems at times. 

Same thing IMO with Taylor.  Taylor should not be in the game on obvious passing games.  His pass pro is horrendous and his route running is very clunky.  He's not got the lateral quickness to be a good, short route guy.  We have a UDFA last week take 10 catches and pick up blitzes all day long.  It should be obvious when you watch film that Taylor is a bad option in 3rd and long.    Hopefully, Taylor's injury will be another blessing in disguise for the squad and Jackson or anyone else really will be used on passing downs. 

Maybe we need need Facyson to get injured if we are going to continue to not believe what our eyes see on tape. 

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

CB1 - Gilmore > Rhodes

CB2 - RYS > Facyson 

Agree. The solution seems pretty simple if the goal is to get Rodgers on the field.

Curious to see what they do with Blackmon if he's ready to come back. Thomas has outplayed him (even if you take away the freebie INT). 

Not that different from the Rodgers/Facyson scenario.

Rodgers played most of the 2H of the Jags game. Looks to me that the coaches are aware of poor play. The most flagrant issue is Facyson in trying to tackle Derrick Henry.  In the first game, in the DH touchdown you could see Facyson not protect the edge and just let DH an open lane to the endzone. That was depressing to watch. This next game is a heavy dosage of DH. I think we will be better prepared to stop the run. Without Treylon Burk and Gilmore on Woods, I think it is up to Kenny to stop Whiteside. If that happens then Tannehill will crumble. 

This is how it works in the NFL.  Guys are brought here by the GM for a reason, or are signed to contracts reflecting a certain status.

Facyson was part of a trade negotiation, so Ballard pined a value on him based upon Gus' input.  Yes, Gus is probably playing favorites...but....you also have to give your initial plan enough time to season.  Even if Rodgers outplays Facyson, Gus and the FO has to give him enough time to make the plan succeed.  That plan was part of the reason he was brought here.

Same thing with Pryor.  Same thing with Hines.  Coaches make recommendation to GMs, and GMs execute contracts that reflect everybody's intentions.  It takes a while to turn that big ship in another direction and start to play people that were supposed to be below "your guys" on the depth chart.

In the world of million dollar contracts and using capital for trades...no...not everybody has an equal chance to compete for the starting spot no matter what the GM proclaims.  Some guys will have to lose it, and lose it quite obviously before a move is made.

Archived