Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

So we have a couple of games with Matt Ryan and honestly it's hard to grade Matt. I still think he can play. The arm is not dead by any means and I think he can still make throws when he gets protection, but unfortunately that's the issue.

Pros

Leadership is unquestioned. You can see he wants to wins and has all the intangibles you want in your QB. He's fiery and shows he cares even if it means getting into the face of teammates.

The accuracy is still there. Puts the ball where it needs to be especially with guys like Alec and Jelani who don't get a lot of separation so you need to place the ball on a certain spot to give them a chance to make a play.

Cons

Turnovers are a problem. He's fumbled 6 times already and I understand the line isn't doing him any favors, but just go down and protect the ball.

Can't carry the team. Which is fine, he's not supposed to. Taylor is the offense, but when that's not working and the game is on Matt's shoulders, I'm not confident especially when he's pressured.

Still early, but that's what I've seen so far.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Him and this offense are still figuring things out.  I think once it comes together fans are going to see and agree with why the Colts wanted a QB like him over Wentz.

Agreed, but none of that matters if the oline continues to allow pressure. Kelly and Braden are spending too much time trying to help Pinter and that's causing issues for themselves.

It's difficult to evaluate him so far. The chiefs game was really the only game so far in season we were "supposed" to win. We never win openers or in Jacksonville. His fumbling made it more difficult to get the desired outcome but he made up for it in the last drive.

I think he'll need to play better for the colts to be competitive.

I'm hoping it's just all the newness of everything. Same place for 15 years and now he's the new guy.

He's definitely still accurate when everything works out (route run correctly, line holding for a few seconds). Hopefully we get more consistent play from him soon.

Just now, IinD said:

I'm hoping it's just all the newness of everything. Same place for 15 years and now he's the new guy.

He's definitely still accurate when everything works out (route run correctly, line holding for a few seconds). Hopefully we get more consistent play from him soon.

Look at Wilson and the Broncos.  He’s having the same problems in terms of the offense struggling.  It’s a thing.  These guys didn’t just forget how to play football.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So we have a couple of games with Matt Ryan and honestly it's hard to grade Matt. I still think he can play. The arm is not dead by any means and I think he can still make throws when he gets protection, but unfortunately that's the issue.

Pros

Leadership is unquestioned. You can see he wants to wins and has all the intangibles you want in your QB. He's fiery and shows he cares even if it means getting into the face of teammates.

The accuracy is still there. Puts the ball where it needs to be especially with guys like Alec and Jelani who don't get a lot of separation so you need to place the ball on a certain spot to give them a chance to make a play.

Cons

Turnovers are a problem. He's fumbled 6 times already and I understand the line isn't doing him any favors, but just go down and protect the ball.

Can't carry the team. Which is fine, he's not supposed to. Taylor is the offense, but when that's not working and the game is on Matt's shoulders, I'm not confident especially when he's pressured.

Game WAS on the line.  Not sure what you are saying here.  He just needs protection.  He’s not gonna win games with his mobility.  But he’s called Marty Ice for a reason!  That was a great last drive when it counted!!

Ryan is going to be just fine...he is still adjusting to playing with these guys.

It's the rest of this sorry bunch that is the problem...weak O-line play, poor receiver play, poor TE play (Mo and Granson)...Woods seems like he has turned the corner, at least he hangs on to the ball...but we need more than one TE...too bad Drew Ogletree got hurt, he would have replaced one of the other TEs sooner or later.

(I am not a fan of Mo or Granson)

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Look at Wilson and the Broncos.  He’s having the same problems in terms of the offense struggling.  It’s a thing.  These guys didn’t just forget how to play football.

Yeah man, that's what I'm hoping/thinking. Today the D looked like what we thought when we picked up Ngak/Gilmore/Faycson, last week we looked like an 0-17 team... Lol.

He's definitely not fully to blame like some want to make it look. Oline absolutely has some blame. As long as he's not washed, I don't see why he can't improve and get it going.

After watching what Wentz today, I am glad we have Matty. I will be like the handful of posters we have in here that are negative, Wentz sucks a big bag and Matty is King now Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons- man this week is going to be so much fun. I love this because nobody can say crap about us now. Oh I haven't seen 6 posters that are normally here, I won't name you because I am a good guy. Typical.

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Game WAS on the line.  Not sure what you are saying here.  He just needs protection.  He’s not gonna win games with his mobility.  But he’s called Marty Ice for a reason!  That was a great last drive when it counted!!

And that was great, but I'm saying that's not what's he here for. He's not here to play hero ball. Also if Chris Jones kept his mouth shut, who knows what happens after that sack.

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Pros

Cons

Undecided 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After watching what Wentz today, I am glad we have Matty. I will be like the handful of posters we have in here that are negative, Wentz sucks a big bag and Matty is King now Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons- man this week is going to be so much fun. I love this because nobody can say crap about us now. Oh I haven't seen 6 posters that are normally here, I won't name you because I am a good guy. Typical.

do it jewish GIF

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

i may be one of those. so happy for the win but my concern since preseason is still there with the Oline. question: how did LT do today I did see some of the replays with Pinter being pushed back and overpowered and a rush sack strip from the RT side

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Colts need to get AP and Woods, their rookie draft picks going and scheme throws where Matt Ryan can shine better with quick hitters.

Bingo.  I was saying during the game: where are all the slants?  Those bare Campbell's best routes.  He's supposed to be a monster YAC receiver.  Why not scheme him some balls?  I don't get it?

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets keep in mind, Wentz went to a worse team than the Colts are, no matter who says otherwise and I’m confident with our overall talent level. 

9 sacks for Wentz and another game shutout in first half. When you go down 0-22 vs Lions and 0-24 vs Eagles in the first half, you know that’s a BAD team and an OL worse than ours is playing. Not sure why folks even felt Washington would look better. Ron Rivera is gone if this keeps up. 

Right now it still looks like a lateral move but as time goes on, Matt Ryan’s experience will shine through, that’s my hope. I’m still unsure.

1 minute ago, ruf said:

i may be one of those. so happy for the win but my concern since preseason is still there with the Oline. question: how did LT do today I did see some of the replays with Pinter being pushed back and overpowered and a rush sack strip from the RT side

You are not one of them, they know who they are but I don't want to start a conflict in here. I just notice how a handful disappear after a win but when we lose they are posting until 2am in the morn :thmup:

He's a good QB, but he's also a QB that needs time in the pocket to make things happen. Our OL doesn't seem to be able to provide that atm, and that makes things difficult to evaluate. 

He'll probably improve over the season as the OL situation hopefully improves and he gets more time in the offense.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are not one of them, they know who they are but I don't want to start a conflict in here. I just notice how a handful disappear after a win but when we lose they are posting until 2am in the morn :thmup:

lol  maybe die hard fans. i know i get upset especially with a loss to the jags

I think hes been barely average to below average so far but its not all on him. Weve barely even sniffed the end zone in any of our contests and hes been a turn over machine. With that being said theres been injuries, communication problems and i believe adjustment, execution and scheme issues related to the group as a whole not being in sync with one another. I think he can be effective for us if we do more short and intermediate high percentage throws like we saw in the 2nd half and do less stuff where hes standing back there long enough for the rush to get home. I dont think a lot of deep passing is going to be his strong suit. Still have to test deep at times of course.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think hes been barely average to below average so far but its not all on him. Weve barely even sniffed the end zone in any of our contests and hes been a turn over machine. With that being said theres been injuries, communication problems and i believe adjustment, execution and scheme issues related to the group as a whole not being in sync with one another. I think he can be effective for us if we do more short and intermediate high percentage throws like we saw in the 2nd half and do less stuff where hes standing back there long enough for the rush to get home. I dont think a lot of deep passing is going to be his strong suit. Still have to test deep at times of course.

You can't be average and beat a team like KC. This win today puts him at above average, that last drive was great. Just except it and Wentz is 1-2 lmao .

The turnovers are worrying. You can’t beat anyone fumbling the ball that much. Hard to evaluate him fully because of how awful the OL has been though. I like his steady style of play where he takes what the defense gives him. It’s a huge upgrade over Wentz’s volatile and erratic play. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Ryan is perfect for this team.  The OL is holding him back big time.  I blame most of the fumbles on the OL not doing their job.  We know he can’t outrun them.  Fix the OL and everything changes for the better.  

Ryan normally is good at picking up the blitz but KC brought the heat today. He had very little time to throw on at least 7 or 8 plays I seen. I am talking 1 or 2 seconds.

He is what he has Infront of him. Unfortunately the OL is not giving him any break neither is Frank play calling. Fumbles are horrible and he needs to go down, but I also like the play where he sniffed a blitz and move in shotgun for 1st down. Also Taylor could not get a foot on 1st down but Matty ice did with QB sneak. Again too too early to say anything on him, but I see good and I see bad but some of that bad is also whats infront of him like Jags game where Pierce, Pitman is out so he is dealing with whats infront of him. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can't be average and beat a team like KC. This win today puts him at above average, that last drive was great. Just except it and Wentz is 1-2 lmao .

He really didnt do much to say he beat KC. Certainly the majority of the credit goes to the D. Hes come up with some things at certain places but there been a lot of bad. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You thought his overall play in this game was above avg? There were plenty of points in this game where we only had 100 something yards of total offense. And i dont think KC is a defensive juggernaut.

Archived