Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

2 hours ago, Myles said:

He is not as good as I thought he would be.   Maybe not an upgrade over Wentz.  Hopefully he is just having issues getting in synch with the new players, but Wentz had the same challenge.   I hope he keeps improving and Reich can use him correctly.  

If we had Wentz we would be 0-3, Ryan is definitely an upgrade over Wentz. Rivers was really good here so I can see someone saying Rivers may have been better. I still like Ryan because he is clutch when he has the ball for a game winning drive.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Gigc said:

Love his leadership and grit. He doesn't look like his arm has deteriorated.

One concern. he seemed to miss some obvious blitzs at key times. he's been in the league forever. He should see those.

I remember one up the A gap and another, safety blitz from the slot. no recognition, no checks. I miss Peyton

i thought this too, but I also remember a certain Jeff Saturday pointing out blitzes for Peyton and have yet to see Kelly do the same. 

ryan can’t block for himself and when you see that many free guys rush untouched there is a major communication issue. 

also JT is no Edge when it comes to blitz pickups.

joe reitz mentioned this was a communication break down between QB, RB and the oline. And I can’t help but agree. So it doesn’t simply fall on Matt Ryan. 

1 minute ago, Indy87 said:

i thought this too, but I also remember a certain Jeff Saturday pointing out blitzes for Peyton and have yet to see Kelly do the same. 

ryan can’t block for himself and when you see that many free guys rush untouched there is a major communication issue. 

also JT is no Edge when it comes to blitz pickups.

joe reitz mentioned this was a communication break down between QB, RB and the oline. And I can’t help but agree. So it doesn’t simply fall on Matt Ryan. 

Ryan Kelly has been a huge disappointment. One play he let a guy run right up the middle unblocked, nearly got Matt killed.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we had Wentz we would be 0-3, Ryan is definitely an upgrade over Wentz. Rivers was really good here so I can see someone saying Rivers may have been better. I still like Ryan because he is clutch when he has the ball for a game winning drive.

I think he will be too, but at this time he isn't.  

hopefully he does well against the Titans.  

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yep.    And this thread was about Ryan.

My impression of Ryan was he was no good at all, and then he led us on a long scoring drive to win the game.   

His stats before the last drive were 17 of 27 for 160 yds no picks, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles, one of which was clearly avoidable.  The only TD we had was on a 4 yard drive. 

Terrible play.   Then we matriculated down the field.  Caught a tremendous break and put it in.

I wasn't even aware that KC had let all the time run off the clock while pocketing the TOs, giving themselves only 24 seconds to answer.  Were any of the announcers talking about that?

4.7 yds/attempt on that final drive. Very difficult to score TDs like that. And if not for a game-changing penalty, they are punting from their side of the field.

This was Ryan's best game...and he still managed to have a negative EPA/play (#23 on the week). From an efficiency standpoint, his best performance so far is a top 20-25 QB. With the short TD early (the JB special), his passer rating looked a lot better in this game though.

However, on the season, he's #32 in EPA/play, #31 in DVOA, #31 in passer rating, #31 in ANY/A, #30 in AY/A. Not sure where PFF has him, but his grade is 54. Oh yeah, and he's thrown 4 INTs and had 7 fumbles in 3 games. 

I am bagging too hard on Ryan though...because it's not all his fault. But we can't just ignore it, especially after how the team and local media hyped him up all offseason.

But at this point, my real concern is for the offense overall. It's beginning to look very limited (obviously), including what JT as well. And I am not sure how they can adjust. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think he will be too, but at this time he isn't.  

hopefully he does well against the Titans.  

Right. That's the only logical conclusion at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change. But Wentz was not a bottom 3 QB in the NFL after 3 weeks last year. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Right. That's the only logical conclusion at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change. But Wentz was not a bottom 3 QB in the NFL after 3 weeks last year. 

Until people stop thinking stats is everything than it is tough to have a decent convo with anyone. All I care is if we win. Matt through 3 games = 1-1-1, didn't even lose on opening day and beat KC, Wentz = 0-3 last season. If Matt would've thrown for 400 yards on Sunday but we lose, nobody would care and this forum would be flooded with Troll posts saying we suck and you know it.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we beat the Titans, Jags have me more worried. But 1 game at a time.

Divisional games always come down to the wire. This one will, too. I am looking forward to AP and Woods being more involved. 

Actually, Gus Bradley's stubbornness and politics for not playing Rodgers so far has me worried as to how he will continue on his laurels from the Chiefs game, I hope he keeps the changes he made. I wonder if he will put Blackmon back in again. Removing Cross was a conscious decision. If A J Brown was there, he would be feasting on Moore, I am glad he is gone.

Ngakoue concerns me on run D. Mike Vrabel's teams, we cannot expect the same amount of mistakes that the Chiefs made, they typically play sound football. This is the game where we should do a few max. protect calls and throw deep a few times because the Titans DBs have been known to give up large completions. Again, it is all about the OL. Glad this game is at home to help us sort through our protection calls.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Divisional games always come down to the wire. This one will, too. I am looking forward to AP and Woods being more involved. 

Actually, Gus Bradley's stubbornness and politics for not playing Rodgers so far has me worried as to how he will continue on his laurels from the Chiefs game, I hope he keeps the changes he made. I wonder if he will put Blackmon back in again. Removing Cross was a conscious decision. If A J Brown was there, he would be feasting on Moore, I am glad he is gone.

Ngakoue concerns me on run D. Mike Vrabel's teams, we cannot expect the same amount of mistakes that the Chiefs made, they typically play sound football. This is the game where we should do a few max. protect calls and throw deep a few times because the Titans DBs have been known to give up large completions. Again, it is all about the OL. Glad this game is at home.

We have been one of the best teams against the run, so I can see at least half way maintaining Henry. No AJ Brown is really bad for them. When they lost Landry, that made their D average. We just matchup better with them than we do Jacks now. I think Trevor may be better than Tannehill at this point, still too early to say that but they cleaned our clock in week 2. 

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan Kelly has been a huge disappointment. One play he let a guy run right up the middle unblocked, nearly got Matt killed.

this was probably him expecting JT to pick up that blitz. Again just communication break down. That’s a major problem and a huge reason the offense struggles to move the ball against every defense they have played so far. 

4 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

this was probably him expecting JT to pick up that blitz. Again just communication break down. That’s a major problem and a huge reason the offense struggles to move the ball against every defense they have played so far. 

Good point, I almost brought that up because it is responsibility of a RB to pick blitzes up on some plays. We may need to go 2 TE on some plays for extra blocking. Woods and Granson both seem to be Matt's favorite targets outside of Pittman anyway. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good point, I almost brought that up because it is responsibility of a RB to pick blitzes up on some plays. We may need to go 2 TE on some plays for extra blocking. Woods and Granson both seem to be Matt's favorite targets outside of Pittman anyway. 

i think no Doyle is hurting smith a lot. Also both he and Kelly are worried about Pinter so they aren’t able to just hold their own. Pinter is learning and I heard frank isn’t willing to move Pinter out for some reason. 

24 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

@2006ColtsbesteverSeason 1 Episode 101 GIF by PeacockTV
^^^^^^
this is what it’s like when anyone tells you Matt Ryan isn’t the greatest quarterback ever…

Actually, he has never said Ryan is the greatest quarterback ever. Never.

Facts don't seem to matter to some around here. 

Carry on with the nonsense, I guess.

You have anything to add to the thread or just coming to troll?

On 9/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

So you think averaging almost 4 turnovers a game isn’t a liability?

2.3 turnovers/game(4 ints, 3 fumb lost)

Not that, that is good, but if you're going to come post something calling someone out, at least be factual, or close.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

2.3 turnovers/game(4 ints, 3 fumb lost)

Not that, that is good, but if you're going to come post something calling someone out, at least be factual, or close.

7 fumbles and 4 Ints. Those fumbles also have happened on 3rd and 4th down so even when we do recover them the drive is usually dead. Ryan has had 1 more fumble in 3 games than wentz had all year last year, and we called wentz a turn over liability. If Matt Ryan didn’t have the career in Atlanta that hes had people would be calling for him to be benched. 

43 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

7 fumbles and 4 Ints. Those fumbles also have happened on 3rd and 4th down so even when we do recover them the drive is usually dead. Ryan has had 1 more fumble in 3 games than wentz had all year last year, and we called wentz a turn over liability. If Matt Ryan didn’t have the career in Atlanta that hes had people would be calling for him to be benched. 

Fumbles retained do not count as turnovers.  As much as you would like them to.

Jags fumble retained - 2nd down

1st Texans fumble retained - 2nd down

2nd Texans fumble retained - 2nd down

3rd Texans fumble retained - 1st down - extended drive afterward.

So literally none of the fumbles retained were on 3rd or 4th down....

Do better.

Who called Wentz a turnover liability?

That was probably you to, as you like alternative realities.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also where are all the “See I knew Carson was just the scapegoat” people at? Carson had a horrible game when he played a good team. Carson got way better protection last year than Ryan is getting g currently too.

Games 1 through 3 for Carson i recall our protection being God awful as well. Especially game 1. The difference is Carson has more speed than Ryan to evade pressure.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Actually, he has never said Ryan is the greatest quarterback ever. Never.

Facts don't seem to matter to some around here. 

Carry on with the nonsense, I guess.

You have anything to add to the thread or just coming to troll?

I know it gets very old with a few around here. I have never said Matt Ryan is the GOAT. Some people in here are getting ridiculous and can't even be happy with a win.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also where are all the “See I knew Carson was just the scapegoat” people at? Carson had a horrible game when he played a good team. Carson got way better protection last year than Ryan is getting g currently too.

Why do you think this?  

On 9/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has Ryan ever had a season like this with this crazy amount of turnovers? I cant remember one.

So I think people should look at his career and realize that he is under a tremendous amount of duress and this all is very out of character. 

He brought us back to salvage a tie week one and put us in a position to win. And Sunday he moved the ball thru the air when given time and took us down the field for a winning TD. 

I think he has done about as well as could be expected given the circumstances. 

8 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Has Ryan ever had a season like this with this crazy amount of turnovers? I cant remember one.

So I think people should look at his career and realize that he is under a tremendous amount of duress and this all is very out of character. 

He brought us back to salvage a tie week one and put us in a position to win. And Sunday he moved the ball thru the air when given time and took us down the field for a winning TD. 

I think he has done about as well as could be expected given the circumstances. 

Matt's fumbles are puzzling, I am not sure if that is more on Kelly or on him. I can't ever remember him fumbling so many times. I don't think it has anything to do with Matt's age, so not sure. Could be the new system and sometimes it takes 6 or 7 games to get clicking.

I think it’s very difficult to accurately evaluate Ryan right now. The Oline is just atrocious. However Ryan needs to throw the ball away instead of taking the sacks and fumbling. 

The Kelly-Ryan snap-fumbles can be on either of them, but Ryan has made too many non-snap related fumbles. 

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think it’s very difficult to accurately evaluate Ryan right now. The Oline is just atrocious. However Ryan needs to throw the ball away instead of taking the sacks and fumbling. 

The Kelly-Ryan snap-fumbles can be on either of them, but Ryan has made too many non-snap related fumbles. 

Maybe he overestimated this OL that Ballard sold to him, lol. The highest paid OL is not playing like one and Matt Ryan continues to play surprised, would be my apt description because we all know Kelly, Braden Smith are all capable of more based on the past. The left side has been solid for the most part though. Matt Ryan is caught guessing every now and then "do I trust my OL or not to pick up the blitz or stunt" unless the play called is a quick hitter. However, I don't see different alignments dictated by the QB in the case of a blitz where we pick it up for a passing play or run away from it where you can afford to not block the last guy, that is where Ryan can help out the OL, as much as he might think they may not need it.

That is why I feel Reich should get everyone's feet wet with quick hitters till the OL settles in and the QB feels he can trust it. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Maybe he overestimated this OL that Ballard sold to him, lol. The highest paid OL is not playing like one and Matt Ryan continues to play surprised, would be my apt description because we all know Kelly, Braden Smith are all capable of more based on the past. The left side has been solid for the most part though. Matt Ryan is caught guessing every now and then "do I trust my OL or not to pick up the blitz or stunt" unless the play called is a quick hitter. However, I don't see different alignments dictated by the QB in the case of a blitz where we pick it up for a passing play or run away from it where you can afford to not block the last guy, that is where Ryan can help out the OL, as much as he might think they may not need it.

That is why I feel Reich should get everyone's feet wet with quick hitters till the OL settles in and the QB feels he can trust it. 

Everyone is going to faint but let me say this Matt's fumbling needs to be corrected and he is not picking up the blitz well. Part of the QB's job is picking up the blitz but that is also part of the RB's job and better blocking. Matt still is at fault for part of that being the QB.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everyone is going to faint but let me say this Matt's fumbling needs to be corrected and he is not picking up the blitz well. Part of the QB's job is picking up the blitz but that is also part of the RB's job and better blocking. Matt still is at fault for part of that being the QB.

I remember Peyton saying he would have Addai at his home after he was drafted his rookie year (since Edge was great at picking up blitzes and Peyton got comfortable with not having to worry about it for the longest time). They would go over who would be coming in hot and how to prioritize based on their distance and the numbers blitzing in the gaps.

Yes, the QB has to be instrumental in getting the help he wants from the RB and OL in that area. That is why Peyton was roasted after the Steelers playoff loss when he said "we had protection problems". Terry Bradshaw blasted him by saying "well, it is your job to get the protection you need and make the calls, Peyton". To an extent, both were right. :) 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There's just a strange disconnect going on between him and Ryan. I understand the first couple of games, but by game 3 you'd think they would have worked on getting the snaps down. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There’s definitely some miscommunication going on between QB and Oline. I’m not sure we will get better until this is fixed though.

Defenses have been covering the shallows making short passes and quick hitters a lot more difficult. 
  I don’t see us getting a whole lot done with anything but JT, play action and RB screens until the Oline is fixed. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

There’s definitely some miscommunication going on between QB and Oline. I’m not sure we will get better until this is fixed though.

Defenses have been covering the shallows making short passes and quick hitters a lot more difficult. 
  I don’t see us getting a whole lot done with anything but JT, play action and RB screens until the Oline is fixed. 

Against the Titans, I'd play an extra OL too if necessary to either get JT to the next level or go max. protect for giving time for WRs to get open.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

There's just a strange disconnect going on between him and Ryan. I understand the first couple of games, but by game 3 you'd think they would have worked on getting the snaps down. 

I don't like it either. The way KC kept blitzing us and hitting Matt is real concerning. Now other teams will try it and they should. We need to have more bubble screens and dump offs to Taylor to offset that.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Against the Titans, I'd play an extra OL too if necessary to either get JT to the next level or go max. protect for giving time for WRs to get open.

I would like the 2 TE set with Woods and Granson.

Archived