Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

CBE is ride or die with Matt Ryan. So when he plays well, it's the only time that matters.

On that GWD, Ryan was 4/5 for 13 yards and then got sacked on 3rd down...before the fluky penalty wiped out 4th and 14 and put them at midfield.

To Ryan's credit, he finished the drive strong. But nobody objective could watch these past 3 games and say he's an above average QB.

CBE is my guy so i know how he is about Matt. I dont get too deep into any argument with him on that subject. Lol

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You went to the game?

Yep.    And this thread was about Ryan.

My impression of Ryan was he was no good at all, and then he led us on a long scoring drive to win the game.   

His stats before the last drive were 17 of 27 for 160 yds no picks, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles, one of which was clearly avoidable.  The only TD we had was on a 4 yard drive. 

Terrible play.   Then we matriculated down the field.  Caught a tremendous break and put it in.

I wasn't even aware that KC had let all the time run off the clock while pocketing the TOs, giving themselves only 24 seconds to answer.  Were any of the announcers talking about that?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

CBE is my guy so i know how he is about Matt. I dont get too deep into any argument with him on that subject. Lol

I think Matt is good but I do realize it takes a full team effort and our defense to win as well. Taylor is our best player. I just think Matt is better than Wentz so many think I think Matt is the GOAT lol. He needs help and yesterday the Chiefs blitz was killing him. I loved that last drive though :thmup:. I wonder what Jones said to the old man, because he played like a mad man after that penalty.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Matt is good but I do realize it takes a full team effort and our defense to win as well. Taylor is our best player. I just think Matt is better than Wentz so many think I think Matt is the GOAT lol. He needs help and yesterday the Chiefs blitz was killing him. I loved that last drive though :thmup:. I wonder what Jones said to the old man, because he played like a mad man after that penalty.

From my view we adjusted and went to more precision passing and playaction. Helped him out a lot.

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

My impression of Ryan was he was no good at all, and then he led us on a long scoring drive to win the game.   

His stats before the last drive were 17 of 27 for 160 yds no picks, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles, one of which was clearly avoidable.  The only TD we had was on a 4 yard drive. 

Terrible play.   Then we matriculated down the field.  Caught a tremendous break and put it in.

I wasn't even aware that KC had let all the time run off the clock while pocketing the TOs, giving themselves only 24 seconds to answer.  Were any of the announcers talking about that?

Matt Ryan just kept running the clock, Romo didn't say anything about KC, he was like Matt is playing this perfectly. I agree with most of what you said but there was that last drive so you do what you usually do, don't count the good stuff. Many in here do the same thing so no bigge.

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I do think the KC Chiefs were cocky and arrogant about how they perceived the Colts. Instead of playing their percentages, they did not take the touchbacks and tried to get it to the 20 and got stymied inside their 10-15, what, about 3 times? This is not their Dad's Polian era Colts special teams, our special teams is actually very good with both KR and PR coverage teams. If they did not realize that, it is their fault. Blankenship would not have made that 50 yarder, good call on the Colts with McLaughlin. 

So, over the course of the game, it showed. Maybe it was their arrogance that they thought "hey, 13 seconds was enough vs the Bills to go down the field to kick a game tying FG...". But then, that was at KC, with Tyreek Hill, different set of circumstances.

Just saying, they looked past the Colts with the Bucs on the schedule and we made them pay showing what we were capable of at home. They are going to get crushed by the Bucs. How are they even favored vs the Bucs? That should be easy money, IMO.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

From my view we adjusted and went to more precision passing and playaction. Helped him out a lot.

Yep, hope it carries into the next game. You go up on the Titans and play good run D, the Titans will be in trouble with Henry less of a factor.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just respect the guy because he is a Hall of Famer, over 60,000 yards passing, a League MVP, and went to a SB. His leadership is priceless, what is wrong with being a fan of someone that has been good for the game? I also think we can win the division with him unlike Wentz.

There is nothing wrong with being a fan of him but give credit where it is due, the Defense won the game yesterday. Matt Ryan hasn’t been very good for us yet. He had a good career in the past and was good for Atlanta but he has not done anything for us yet. Matt Ryan is a liability when it comes to ball protection, 7 fumbles and 4 interceptions in 3 games is not great or even average quarterback play. Had Carson or Jacoby played like this their first 3 games people will want there heads on a stick. I hope he can turn it around but from what I have seen so far our new starting quarterback streak will probably continue next season.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is not just about stats, it is about eye test and wins also. We are 1-1-1 this season. Last season we were 0-3 with Wentz. Wentz is 1-2 in Washington right now and had one of the worst games of any QB all year . I could care less if a guy throws for 500 yards, if he makes goofy mistakes in crunch time and loses then that is all that matters.

But CBE, you have constantly brought up Ryan's career passing yardage and TDs. You aren't the only one.

So stats aren't the only thing, but most people use them. And it's how we measure individual QB performance.

If the Colts had played HOU in those first 3 games last season, they would have the same number of wins. And let's not act like Wentz wasn't completely hobbled against TEN. But wins are a team stat anyhow.

Your Ryan bias has me defending Wentz haha. 

4 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

There is nothing wrong with being a fan of him but give credit where it is due, the Defense won the game yesterday. Matt Ryan hasn’t been very good for us yet. He had a good career in the past and was good for Atlanta but he has not done anything for us yet. Matt Ryan is a liability when it comes to ball protection, 7 fumbles and 4 interceptions in 3 games is not great or even average quarterback play. Had Carson or Jacoby played like this their first 3 games people will want there heads on a stick. I hope he can turn it around but from what I have seen so far our new starting quarterback streak will probably continue next season.

Matt Ryan did lead us on a game winning drive yesterday against arguably the best team in football, so I would not say things like "hasn't been very good for us yet", "is a liability", that is a bit too much. If you hate the guy that is cool lmao . You should change your name IMO if you think the way you do. JMO. 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But CBE, you have constantly brought up Ryan's career passing yardage and TDs. You aren't the only one.

So stats aren't the only thing, but most people use them. And it's how we measure individual QB performance.

If the Colts had played HOU in those first 3 games last season, they would have the same number of wins. And let's not act like Wentz wasn't completely hobbled against TEN. But wins are a team stat anyhow.

Your Ryan bias has me defending Wentz haha. 

I have been on record saying Rivers was good, I even defended Wentz at times last year. I just think Ryan is better. 

57 minutes ago, Nickster said:

This game did not feature much positivity out of the offense.   Ryan was just no good until after the Unsportsmanlike.  It's not really an opinion.  It is statistically provable.   The OLINE was garbage and Ryan was garbage until the last drive.  The only TD until then the O produced was on a gifted muffed punt inside the 5.  We didn't sniff the EZ again until the last drive. 

This win was weird.  I was there.  It was loud in the 1st half after the muff. Man the crowd was not into this game in the 2nd half like you'd think.  There are reasons for that. We weren't generating any offense and they were getting into FG range and missing kicks and botching fakes.

Then, we were dead in water, the dude got the Unsportsmans like and Ryan kept making little completions and we ended up in the end zone.  The crowd was like HOLY CRAP!.

Then it was really loud while KC had the ball at the end. 

This season has been weird so far, across the league.

I can imagine the crowd was out of it. On that last drive, Ryan was 4/5 for 13 yards before getting sacked to make it 4th and 14. Looked like the end of the game.

Instead, they suddenly get a game-changing post-play penalty that put them at the 50-yard line with a fresh set of downs.

I am glad they won though. I will be much happier if they beat TEN. But it still feels like this is headed for something similar to 2019 or 2021.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This season has been weird so far, across the league.

I can imagine the crowd was out of it. On that last drive, Ryan was 4/5 for 13 yards before getting sacked to make it 4th and 14. Looked like the end of the game.

Instead, they suddenly get a game-changing post-play penalty that put them at the 50-yard line with a fresh set of downs.

I am glad they won though. I will be much happier if they beat TEN. But it still feels like this is headed for something similar to 2019 or 2021.

I wasn't there like Nick but the crowd erupted when Woods caught that ball. I watch it and the fans seem into to me. It was probably 25% Chiefs fans, 75% Colts fans but Chiefs fans travel well. When I used to go to game like Pats in 2009 and Cowboys in 1999 it was usually 75/25, those fans travel well. We even had Peyton then.

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan did lead us on a game winning drive yesterday against arguably the best team in football, so I would not say things like "hasn't been very good for us yet", "is a liability", that is a bit too much. If you hate the guy that is cool lmao . You should change your name IMO if you think the way you do. JMO. 

So you think averaging almost 4 turnovers a game isn’t a liability? You think those numbers are good? I don’t “hate the guy” but when he plays bad I will notice he’s playing bad and when/if he plays good I’ll say he’s playing good but I’m not going to show him this blind loyalty that you seem to have for him. As for my profile name I will continue to have it as long as he is the quarterback and I’m sure next year I’ll change it for the next quarterback we get. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan just kept running the clock, Romo didn't say anything about KC, he was like Matt is playing this perfectly. I agree with most of what you said but there was that last drive so you do what you usually do, don't count the good stuff. Many in here do the same thing so no bigge.

I think part of your issue Bestie is that you post so much you forget what you are talking about.

The thread is impression of Ryan.  I said meh.  He was terrible, then he led one TD drive for which the team was bailed out of a punt.  It was a good drive.  But he was largely responsible for us being so poor offensivley.  Look I don't like our OLINE.  Do you want me to bag on them rather than your son Matt Ryan? 

There was a reason that our Only TD until that last drive was on a 4 yard drive for the last two games. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I mean...he led a drive from basically midfield to score a TD after the initial attempt ended with him taking a sack to make it 4th and 14.

It was the only drive they had that was even more than 50 yards.

After 3 weeks with Matt Ryan at QB, this is arguably the least efficient (see worst) offense in the NFL.

Now that's not all on Ryan because the OL has been bad. But he's the QB. And if he gets credit for the GWD, he gets blame for the state of the offense.

Wentz was a liability, but he had 1 LESS fumble and only 3 MORE INTs in 13 MORE games last year. Ryan is on pace for nearly 40 fumbles and 23 INTs. I don't think he will get near those, but Ryan's definitely been a liability so far.

image.png.55ed5603a6c5999a9d744f79a2140407.png

The offensive line isn’t doing him any favors, but even still, it has not been what I had hoped for. I know he wasn’t going to come in and win MVP, but I was hoping for better than we’ve seen. 

To me, 99% of our problems circle back to the rube under the headset. Until that problem is taken care of nothing else works as well as it should. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

This ought to be fun. 

2 posters who like to have the last say in any back and forth - @Nickster and @2006Coltsbestever :) 

I remember the @Nickster @NewColtsFan popcorn show. Another show I also enjoy is @EastStreet and @DougDew when it comes to Frank Reich. haha

All in good jest guys. Without you all, this forum wouldn't be enjoyable. :thmup:

Keep doing what you are doing. Life would be boring if we were all cookie cutter clones of each other. 

And to be clear, I do not defend Frank Reich.  It just looks that way when I reject the idea that he is the main problem.  He can't be, because HCs aren't really that different from each other..

QB, LT, Flanker, Edge......

I need to see more.  He has things about him like leadership and accuracy that are very intriguing. Yet the offense isnt doing much and he turns the ball over and takes a lot of sacks.  Compared to Jacoby he is an upgrade, Rivers a downgrade and Wentz its a wash.  I do think 3 games is a small sample size and expect him to find his groove and perform better as the season goes along.  

Love his leadership and grit. He doesn't look like his arm has deteriorated.

One concern. he seemed to miss some obvious blitzs at key times. he's been in the league forever. He should see those.

I remember one up the A gap and another, safety blitz from the slot. no recognition, no checks. I miss Peyton

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

Taylor's numbers stunk also.

He is not as good as I thought he would be.   Maybe not an upgrade over Wentz.  Hopefully he is just having issues getting in synch with the new players, but Wentz had the same challenge.   I hope he keeps improving and Reich can use him correctly.  

Aside from the sloppy fumbles and the ill advised lofted INT vs the Jags on our first drive, Ryan has not been our problem, at all.

I am confident he will clean up the fumbles, and once he has had more time to gel with the O-line and they sort out the communication issues and get protections setup properly so we dont constantly have free runners coming in at him, he will start to produce like we all expected him to. He wont be MVP caliber, but he will be putting the ball where it should be and taking what the defenses give us. Enough to make opposing D's respect the passing game, and opening it up for Taylor a bit more too.

Give it time people, it is already getting better compared to week 1 and 2.

18 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think part of your issue Bestie is that you post so much you forget what you are talking about.

The thread is impression of Ryan.  I said meh.  He was terrible, then he led one TD drive for which the team was bailed out of a punt.  It was a good drive.  But he was largely responsible for us being so poor offensivley.  Look I don't like our OLINE.  Do you want me to bag on them rather than your son Matt Ryan? 

There was a reason that our Only TD until that last drive was on a 4 yard drive for the last two games. 

"your son Matt Ryan" good one Skip. That even had me laughing. Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Archived