Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

He is what he has Infront of him. Unfortunately the OL is not giving him any break neither is Frank play calling. Fumbles are horrible and he needs to go down, but I also like the play where he sniffed a blitz and move in shotgun for 1st down. Also Taylor could not get a foot on 1st down but Matty ice did with QB sneak. Again too too early to say anything on him, but I see good and I see bad but some of that bad is also whats infront of him like Jags game where Pierce, Pitman is out so he is dealing with whats infront of him. 

Pinter got knocked on his booty that play and taylor was met by a defender before he could get the first down.We need to do something about pinter

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

CBE is ride or die with Matt Ryan. So when he plays well, it's the only time that matters.

On that GWD, Ryan was 4/5 for 13 yards and then got sacked on 3rd down...before the fluky penalty wiped out 4th and 14 and put them at midfield.

To Ryan's credit, he finished the drive strong. But nobody objective could watch these past 3 games and say he's an above average QB.

He had no time to throw in 1st half at all. For some reason their blitz was killing us. There was 1 play where he had literally 1 second to throw when the safety got him. The heart and soul of the offense is Taylor and he only had 71 yards and no TD's yesterday. Matt didn't have much help.

My impression is the same as it was when they traded for him. He looks like the QB from last year in ATL, with fumbles added in.  And the stats speak for themselves. In a season where QB play has been all over the place, Ryan is still near the bottom in many categories.

Considering how many people called him the "best QB since Luck," I would assume this is not the impression that most expected if we are being honest.

But I also didn't expect the OL to be as bad as last year. And I am not sure if it's going to get better. I feel like there are times where Ryan seems a bit slower to process...and no doubt teams will continue to bring pressure. So we will probably see a lot of dinking and dunking.

Rivers was money at reading the defense and getting ball out quickly, which is why that offense worked so well, even with his lack of mobility and arm strength.

All I know is that they need to figure out how to stop TEN's DL. 4 sacks per game is a level we haven't seen before, even with the terrible 2017 OL.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

My impression is the same as it was when they traded for him. He looks like the QB from last year in ATL, with fumbles added in.  And the stats speak for themselves. In a season where QB play has been all over the place, Ryan is still near the bottom in many categories.

Considering how many people called him the "best QB since Luck," I would assume this is not the impression that most expected if we are being honest.

But I also didn't expect the OL to be as bad as last year. And I am not sure if it's going to get better. I feel like there are times where Ryan seems a bit slower to process...and no doubt teams will continue to bring pressure. So we will probably see a lot of dinking and dunking.

Rivers was money at reading the defense and getting ball out quickly, which is why that offense worked so well, even with his lack of mobility and arm strength.

All I know is that they need to figure out how to stop TEN's DL. 4 sacks per game is a level we haven't seen before, even with the terrible 2017 OL.

He is the best QB we have had since Luck, he is clutch and doesn't do goofy stuff like Wentz did.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had no time to throw in 1st half at all. For some reason their blitz was killing us. There was 1 play where he had literally 1 second to throw when the safety got him. The heart and soul of the offense is Taylor and he only had 71 yards and no TD's yesterday. Matt didn't have much help.

Until they figure out how to get the Oline to be at least average, we're not going to be able to evaluate Matt.  Everyone knew he's not a scrambler (although he's done better than some thought).  So the Oline has to hold up.

Yes, I read his "average time to throw" last week was among highest in the league.  Let's all remember what "average" means and trust our eyes.

One last thing - I don't think the way they're using JT is sustainable.  I know they're trying to soften up the D in order to keep them from teeing off on Matt, but no back is going to be able to take that much punishment and make it through an entire season.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But teams will continue to blitz him until he can exploit it. Heading into this game, he had lowest passer rating in the NFL when under pressure. He has been crumbling under it. And it doesn't help that the OL is bad as well. 

I have a feeling that it's going to be much tougher for JT this season. Opposing defenses didn't respect the passing game last season either, but JT was still able to run all over. It's not all on Ryan, but teams seem to be adjusting. And I think that it could have a major impact on JT's production and impact.

TEN will be a good test for this, as they have been getting gashed on the ground. If they limit JT, then that's very concerning.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But teams will continue to blitz him until he can exploit it. Heading into this game, he had lowest passer rating in the NFL when under pressure. He has been crumbling under it. And it doesn't help that the OL is bad as well. 

I have a feeling that it's going to be much tougher for JT this season. Opposing defenses didn't respect the passing game last season either, but JT was still able to run all over. It's not all on Ryan, but teams seem to be adjusting. And I think that it could have a major impact on JT's production and impact.

TEN will be a good test for this, as they have been getting gashed on the ground. If they limit JT, then that's very concerning.

Next week will be interesting, I think Jacks has a better D though.

Ryan was able to put up 27 of 37 for 222 yards and two touchdowns

Kansas City put Ryan under duress all day long. The Chiefs sacked Ryan five times, forced two fumbles, hit him seven times overall and repeatedly failed to give running back Jonathan Taylor (71 yards on 21 carries) the room he needed to make a play. Making matters worse, the Colts struggled to pick up blitzes, leading to repeated free rushers who blew up plays.

The offensive line has to come together and get rid of the weakest link.

Defense and special teams stepped up, with out that we would have lost.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/09/25/colts-vs-chiefs-indianapolis-shocking-upset/8115937001/

My impressions are if the Oline can get their act together in terms of scheming and blocking properly instead of being forced to help Pinter and leave the A gap WIDE open constantly; Ryan will actually get time to look through all his reads and make better passes. 

Also, if Ryan does have to run or scramble some, dude needs to tuck the ball better. Keeping it out to the side while running is high school stuff. 

But we’ve seen some really good flashes when he’s actually got more than one second from snap to throw. 

Ryan needs to work with the oline and RB this week on audibles and protections. Who’s doing what and when. 

1 minute ago, Bolt Colt said:

Ryan was able to put up 27 of 37 for 222 yards and two touchdowns

Kansas City put Ryan under duress all day long. The Chiefs sacked Ryan five times, forced two fumbles, hit him seven times overall and repeatedly failed to give running back Jonathan Taylor (71 yards on 21 carries) the room he needed to make a play. Making matters worse, the Colts struggled to pick up blitzes, leading to repeated free rushers who blew up plays.

The offensive line has to come together and get rid of the weakest link.

Defense and special teams stepped up, with out that we would have lost.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/09/25/colts-vs-chiefs-indianapolis-shocking-upset/8115937001/

27-37 222 yards, 2 TD's and no INT's while he had very little time to throw, Taylor only 71 yards says a lot about Matt right there. He also was great on that final drive when it counted. Our O.Line has some issues and needs to clean it up.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best QB we have had since Luck, he is clutch and doesn't do goofy stuff like Wentz did.

Rivers was, in just about every way on the field. Even through his first 3 games, he was much better than Ryan has been. And that was before Rivers even started playing well.

As for Wentz, he was actually better last season than Ryan has been AND has been better this season. So we will see where both end up.

But Ryan has 4 INTs and 6 fumbles in three games. That's potentially 3+ TOs/game. They both do plenty of  "goofy stuff." 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Rivers was, in just about every way on the field. Even through his first 3 games, he was much better than Ryan has been. And that was before Rivers even started playing well.

As for Wentz, he was actually better last season than Ryan has been AND has been better this season. So we will see where both end up.

But Ryan has 4 INTs and 6 fumbles in three games. That's potentially 3+ TOs/game. They both do plenty of  "goofy stuff." 

You are basing it on stats and that is fine. I am taking Ryan over both. I guess only time will tell. By the way Rivers was good here IMO by my eye test.

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hes been ok.  Was hoping he would be our answer for 3 years but it will probably be more like 1-2.

If the line protects I could see 9-10 wins, if not the floor is low.

Id be looking for QBs next off season and all in the year after if we dont find one before then 

"Ok" is a fair word. It's certainly not matching the silly hype of this offseason and TC. But it's all a matter of perspective.

If Wentz had Ryan's numbers so far, we would never the hear the end of how awful he is (we still don't from some).

Likewise, if Ryan had Wentz's number so far, people would be talking about him as a top 10 QB.

They should be drafting one this upcoming draft no matter what. It's only been 3 games, but I still just don't see any way the Colts commit to Ryan past next season, when he will be 39.

Ideally, they wouldn't even have to commit to next year, but they already are. So at least use that year for a QB to sit and develop and have a vet like Ryan as a mentor.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are basing it on stats and that is fine. I am taking Ryan over both. I guess only time will tell. By the way Rivers was good here IMO by my eye test.

I am basing it on everything. Team record, offensive performance, individual stats...all will very likely be Rivers by EOS.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

"Ok" is a fair word. It's certainly not matching the silly hype of this offseason and TC. But it's all a matter of perspective.

If Wentz had Ryan's numbers so far, we would never the hear the end of how awful he is (we still don't from some).

Likewise, if Ryan had Wentz's number so far, people would be talking about him as a top 10 QB.

They should be drafting one this upcoming draft no matter what. It's only been 3 games, but I still just don't see any way the Colts commit to Ryan past next season, when he will be 39.

Ideally, they wouldn't even have to commit to next year, but they already are. So at least use that year for a QB to sit and develop and have a vet like Ryan as a mentor.

It is not just about stats, it is about eye test and wins also. We are 1-1-1 this season. Last season we were 0-3 with Wentz. Wentz is 1-2 in Washington right now and had one of the worst games of any QB all year . I could care less if a guy throws for 500 yards, if he makes goofy mistakes in crunch time and loses then that is all that matters.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers was very good, based on what I recollect. But then, the OL was a tad better too, and for a veteran he did get the ball out faster than Ryan for the same apples to apples experience factor to negate OL issues at times (Wentz held it too long and has already been thrown under the bus by Ron Rivera who is feeling the heat). To me, that is the shocking part about Ryan as you would expect a vet to throw it away or get rid of it faster. Even if the OL improves, it is not always going to be perfect, so that part of his game has to quickly adapt. No matter the play call, the QB still pulls the trigger.

Reich's and Ballard's seats depend on Matt Ryan succeeding, so they need to do whatever it takes to get the OL issues resolved and give quick hitters for Matt Ryan more as the season goes on. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Rivers was very good, based on what I recollect. But then, the OL was a tad better too, and for a veteran he did get the ball out faster than Ryan for the same apples to apples experience factor to negate OL issues at times. To me, that is the shocking part about Ryan as you would expect a vet to throw it away or get rid of it faster. Even if the OL improves, it is not always going to be perfect, so that part of his game has to quickly adapt. No matter the play call, the QB still pulls the trigger.

Matt has had his bad moments but it is early in the season. I just trust him more than any QB we had since Luck in crunch time. He has a knack of being able to come from behind and win games. Rivers was a good, and I loved that signing. Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt has had his bad moments but it is early in the season. I just trust him more than any QB we had since Luck in crunch time. He has a knack of being able to come from behind and win games. Rivers was a good, and I loved that signing. Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO.

That blitz from the right side brought SB deja vu with Devonta Freeman not picking up Hightower of the Patriots and Matt Ryan fumbling. That was Matt Ryan in his prime, looks like a few things have not changed. :) 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What about all the childish people that us losing 70-0 over the past few days. I could care less if you think Homer is childish, you must be fun at party's keep the great posts coming and sorry if you have to reach this week to bash the team after a freakin win against KC. KC was arguably the best team in football and some still are not happy. BOOO HOOO.

You thought Ryan looked good then Homie.  OK.  

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You thought Ryan looked good then Homie.  OK.  

This ought to be fun. 

2 posters who like to have the last say in any back and forth - @Nickster and @2006Coltsbestever :) 

I remember the @Nickster @NewColtsFan popcorn show. Another show I also enjoy is @EastStreet and @DougDew when it comes to Frank Reich. haha

All in good jest guys. Without you all, this forum wouldn't be enjoyable. :thmup:

Keep doing what you are doing. Life would be boring if we were all cookie cutter clones of each other. 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This ought to be fun. 

2 posters who like to have the last say in any back and forth - @Nickster and @2006Coltsbestever :) 

I remember the @Nickster @NewColtsFan popcorn show. Another show I also enjoy is @EastStreet and @DougDew when it comes to Frank Reich. haha

All in good jest guys. Without you all, this forum wouldn't be enjoyable. :thmup:

Keep doing what you are doing. Life would be boring if we were all cookie cutter clones of each other. 

Time to pump the wattage up for Homer against Tennessee, we need him at about 1000 pounds at a bench press once down and up, Squat at 1500 once up and down, 3.9 on the 40 run, and Bruce Lee reflexes homer simpson running GIF- I need my pal at full strength next week, we already put one monster to bed in KC, time take care of another. Great to be back Snoop Dogg Dancing GIF by Romy

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

More clutch then hero ball. Matt was in control and understood what he needed to do to win. 

He wasn't forcing on that last drive.  Very methodical.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This ought to be fun. 

Amen brother.  The Homogenized part of the America ain't that interesting. 

I am cool with @Nickster, he is just like many posters in here and rarely see's positive sides. That is ok. That is how the forum is and will always be. I think when the team plays like crap people should be critical of the team, never been a problem with me but if we win, show up and give them praise too is all I ask. At least Nick is here.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am cool with @Nickster, he is just like many posters in here and rarely see's positive sides. That is ok. That is how the forum is and will always be. I think when the team plays like crap people should be critical of the team, never been a problem with me but if we win, show up and give them praise too is all I ask. At least Nick is here.

This game did not feature much positivity out of the offense.   Ryan was just no good until after the Unsportsmanlike.  It's not really an opinion.  It is statistically provable.   The OLINE was garbage and Ryan was garbage until the last drive.  The only TD until then the O produced was on a gifted muffed punt inside the 5.  We didn't sniff the EZ again until the last drive. 

This win was weird.  I was there.  It was loud in the 1st half after the muff. Man the crowd was not into this game in the 2nd half like you'd think.  There are reasons for that. We weren't generating any offense and they were getting into FG range and missing kicks and botching fakes.

Then, we were dead in water, the dude got the Unsportsmans like and Ryan kept making little completions and we ended up in the end zone.  The crowd was like HOLY CRAP!.

Then it was really loud while KC had the ball at the end. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

This game did not feature much positivity out of the offense.   Ryan was just no good until after the Unsportsmanlike.  It's not really an opinion.  It is statistically provable.   The OLINE was garbage and Ryan was garbage until the last drive.  The only TD until then the O produced was on a gifted muffed punt inside the 5.  We didn't sniff the EZ again until the last drive. 

This win was weird.  I was there.  It was loud in the 1st half after the muff. Man the crowd was not into this game in the 2nd half like you'd think.  There are reasons for that. We weren't generating any offense and they were getting into FG range and missing kicks and botching fakes.

Then, we were dead in water, the dude got the Unsportsmans like and Ryan kept making little completions and we ended up in the end zone.  The crowd was like HOLY CRAP!.

Then it was really loud while KC had the ball at the end. 

You went to the game?

Archived