Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

He has his moments, some good and others very bad - sometimes he calls a good play but it's poorly executed, other times he gets outsmarted by the guys on the other sideline but it's my opinion that he would be a better Head Coach if he would just hand off the playcalling duties to the OC, and focus on the strategy & performance of the entire team.

He's no doubt a better HC than OC. He's not the HC I would've picked - a bit too soft; I'm in favor of kicking * and taking names when players don't earn their paychecks. The players seem to love him, even if some are starting to call out the coaching.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are in trouble with Matt as the QB if we don't get this blocking together.  He's not that great of a QB when playing under consistent pressure.  Im glad to see guys like Jelani Woods and Alec Pierce getting in the mix to help give him more targets than Michael Pittman.  We've got to do more to design plays that accentuate Campbells skill set and get him more targets.  I think Matt has some feel for Dulin and that needs to continue to grow.  I'd still like to see us use Patmon more because he's faster than Strachan.  We've tried Strachan a couple times but to me he still has problems getting open over the course of a game and I don't think he's that fast. 

My lineup would be Pittman, Pierce, Campbell, Dulin, Patmon, and probably Coutee.  I think that's a nice size and speed mix.  I'd probably look at playing Jelani Woods in the starting lineup from now on with sprinkles of Granson. 

On 9/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Solid84 said:

I want us to use our best weapon - JT. We had 499 attempts last year. JT had 332 of those. By week 8, just over half way through the season, he had 121 of his total carries (36.4%). Like I said, Frank had to be told to RTDB to actually do it. That's my point. Did he get more attempts LATER in the season? Yes he did. AFTER Frank got his head out of his *.

Back to my original point:

Do we use JT this year? Yes, and thank # for that! Do we use him in any way other than as a RB up the middle and a dump off target? Nope...

Problem is because that's all we do and because our Oline is horrible at both pass protection and run blocking we're getting nothing done. Opposing defenses are covering the shallows and the middle of the field - JT's running lanes.

We need more RB screens and Jet sweeps. Punish the blitzing and the condensed defensive scheme. We don't because Frank is Franking.

RB passes work well with JT.  He just needs to get the ball in his hands in space, until our O-Line looks better.  

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He's no doubt a better HC than OC. He's not the HC I would've picked - a bit too soft; I'm in favor of kicking * and taking names when players don't earn their paychecks. The players seem to love him, even if some are starting to call out the coaching.

Maybe I missed it?    Who called out the coaching?     

Just now, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

I thought it wasn’t a bad game for Ryan honestly. I still think he is a liability. He’s been trash all season and he was trash at times today but for the most part he wasn’t as bad is I thought he was.  I mean @2006Coltsbestever and @w87rare still going to be angry that I’m not calling him a hall of fame quarterback.

Not mad at all, we lost today. I do think he is a Hall of Fame QB though, he will get in because of his numbers and MVP. He made a SB too. Yeah maybe we will end up 8-8-1 or whatever, I will admit I was wrong, I have no problem with that.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not mad at all, we lost today. I do think he is a Hall of Fame QB though, he will get in because of his numbers and MVP. He made a SB too. Yeah maybe we will end up 8-8-1 or whatever, I will admit I was wrong, I have no problem with that.

I have to say, I was looking forward to dancing on your grave a little more lol but I was impressed at times today as well he actually gave me some hope for him yet.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, w87r said:

Actually, he has never said Ryan is the greatest quarterback ever. Never.

Facts don't seem to matter to some around here. 

Carry on with the nonsense, I guess.

You have anything to add to the thread or just coming to troll?

On 9/27/2022 at 10:21 PM, w87r said:

2.3 turnovers/game(4 ints, 3 fumb lost)

Not that, that is good, but if you're going to come post something calling someone out, at least be factual, or close.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, w87r said:

Fumbles retained do not count as turnovers.  As much as you would like them to.

Jags fumble retained - 2nd down

1st Texans fumble retained - 2nd down

2nd Texans fumble retained - 2nd down

3rd Texans fumble retained - 1st down - extended drive afterward.

So literally none of the fumbles retained were on 3rd or 4th down....

Do better.

Who called Wentz a turnover liability?

That was probably you to, as you like alternative realities.

Where did I say I was mad about you not calling him a HOF QB?

I called out your post of lacking facts. A lot of mistruths. 

You know, kinda like "me being mad about you not calling him HOF QB". Never happened, just another alternate reality post from you. Who cares if you don't think he is a HOF QB, not me.

Quit calling people out, quit lying in your post and leave my name out of your mouth.

29 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

I thought it wasn’t a bad game for Ryan honestly. I still think he is a liability. He’s been trash all season and he was trash at times today but for the most part he wasn’t as bad is I thought he was.  I mean @2006Coltsbestever and @w87rare still going to be angry that I’m not calling him a hall of fame quarterback.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Where did I say I was mad about you not calling him a HOF QB?

I called out your post of lacking facts. A lot of mistruths. 

You know, kinda like "me being mad about you not calling him HOF QB". Never happened, just another alternate reality post from you. Who cares if you don't think he is a HOF QB, not me.

Quit calling people out, quit lying in your post and leave my name out of your mouth.

Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

1 minute ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

Nice, deflection from the truth when getting smacked in the face with it again.

Always stay you. Trolling and going around forum posting fiction. Respectful.

Glad I only have to see your nonsense here. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Nice, deflection from the truth when getting smacked in the face with it again.

Always stay you. Trolling and going around forum posting fiction. Respectful.

Glad I only have to see your nonsense here. 

Trolling!?!?!? How dare you!!! 
How Dare You Greta GIF

any-who you never you never called him hall of fame, I was trying to exaggerate and joke with you so maybe we could burry this hatchet and move on, but instead you over react and get your panties in wad. There is no use In arguing with people like you who will always need the last word. You must be my ex-wife!

Ooc GIF

On 10/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Solid84 said:

My brother in law is a Titans fan. I remember when Vrable was avaialbeand I wanted the Colts to sign him 

24 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

any-who you never you never called him hall of fame,

No, I said, I never got mad because you didn't think he was a HOF QB.

I think Matt Ryan will probably most likely be in the HOF. Do I care if you don't? No.

24 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

I was trying to exaggerate and joke with you so maybe we could burry this hatchet and move on,

You try to exaggerate(you're very good at, by the way) and joke with me, while doing the thing that got the "hatchet" there in the first place? 

Go a different route please.

There is no hatchet to bury, I try not to hold grudges, to old for that. Just an internet forum.

I just don't like people calling people out, while not even being right.

I hate when people say I told you so, or I was right.

Tell me when you're wrong, that earns a lot more respect in my book.(everyone, not just you).

Don't deflect with more untruths and less than funny gifs

The hatchet is buried on my end, unless you try and call me out on something that isn't true. Post all the mistruths you want(not really), just leave me out of them.(really).

When you bring in a veteran qb, he should be able to feel pressure and protect the ball or throw it away. I would also expect him to be able to read the defensive sets and check into a more effective play. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you are turning the ball over as much as he has. I expected a lot more from him!!

people talk about the coach’s play calling, but I can’t believe a veteran qb doesn’t have the freedom to change the play bases on the defense that’s lined up.

take away the turnovers and the colts are probably 3-1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:07 PM, Coltzman said:

I'm not sold on Ryan. Honestly, I'm grateful for the unsportsmanlike conduct call that kept our last drive going, but I feel like the QB has underperformed in every game ... even today. Happy that we won, but we need to draft a YOUNG QB.

Suck for Stroud.....  :worms:

matt ryan isnt put in a good situation with how bad the offensive line or wrs are this year .   even with that being said he is who i thought he was a garbage time stat padding QB .   plays bad against the texans waits until were down by a lot then comes to life when the defense relaxes a bit .    same thing against the titans and he fumbles way to much and it hurts the team .    i never thought he was anything special even with the falcons he is like eli manning without the playoff success .     a guy just outside the top ten or just inside it who is good enough to be a franchise guy but nothing special .

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Hines disagrees with you.  

Hines has no room to talk.

He needs to look at the man in the mirror.

He had 1 rush yesterday for 0 yards and 2 receptions for 3 yards.

How is that Ryan's fault ?

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

it seems like to me he is faulting ballard not ryan .    having a new QB every year leads to growing pains in the first couple games which costs the colts wins early in the season .     get a QB and have him in the system for 3 years is better for the team .   that is why i wanted wentz to stay even though he is not a great QB just average .   i think him and ryan are around the same caliber of QB right now but having wentz in the system for 2 years would of been better for the team

27 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I don’t think I would call that Hines fault, though. It’s reich. It always has been. His plans to use Hines, and his actual usage of him are both equally wretched. 

One of his receptions was just a swing route back to the LOS that was covered the whole way (and shouldn’t have even been thrown, in fact,) and he had to be the 3rd or 4th read because it was clear it was just a dummy route he was running out there. 

Hines point is fair. It’s hard to have this kind of turnover at the QB position this many years in a row. 

But I’m not entirely sure we’re done riding that roller coaster, either. 

The % rolls downhill. As long as frank is perched atop the hill and allowed to do what he does…

However…

Lets be hypothetical for a moment. Let’s say Ryan had sustained a season-ending injury yesterday, or this Thursday night…

Is anyone comfortable with running it back with him in 2023? 

Even removing the hypothetical aspect from that scenario, at this point I’ve seen enough that I don’t think it’s a real good idea. Maybe I’ll change my mind if he rounds out into incredible form, but guys his age usually don’t do that, and definitely not at this stage of the game…

He looks shell shocked out there. Don't know what Ballard/Reich told him about the OL but this is the last thing he was expecting coming here. Add in the awful playcalling, Vets not playing to their contracts and you have this % show we are currently seeing.

This Is Fine GIF

Man.. where the hell is Parris Campbell? HOW are we not targeting him? How is he not getting end-arounds? How are we just not even attempting to scheme him up with how bad this offense is? This is his first healthy stretch it seems, but we're not even trying to see how he could help our offense? 

Archived