Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Much Do You trust Ballard with This teams future?

Defjamz26

Do You Trust Ballard   

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Ballard to Draft the QB of the future for the Colts?

• Yes, I think he can get it right
    • No, I think he’ll blow it
    • No, I think he’ll just keep patching the position and never spend premium draft capital on one
  2. 2. Do You Trust Ballard to Hire the right Head Coach if Reich is Let Go?

• Yes, I think he can find a legitimate upgrade
    • No, he’ll just hire someone else in the same mold as Reich

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Our foundation (built through the draft) is at best C-
  Is this what Irsay was expecting?   

Man you've really changed you tune quickly.  That's what several of us have been saying for a while now. 

I totally agree with C-.  A little less than average. 

And when you have a team with all this money tied up in comparitively less important postions and a 37 YO QB, it's going to make it that much  harder to become more than average. 

Plus our floor is still likely 7 or 8 wins which puts you mid range 1st pick. 

21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

9CAC5915-8B9A-4830-9863-9F3F0AE6C8C9.jpeg

came here to talk about this exactly. As a GM he should know the odds of being early in round one. When we had 13th pick he said himself the talent at QB wasn’t great and didn’t even try to make a move. I worry if we ever reach that early again he will just ignore QB again. Chris  “It’s not just about one guy” Ballard. 

My before season rankings, I had Ballard at #10 = GM's which is spot on, Reich at #14 = Coaching, Matt at #10 = QB's, basically #11 factoring in Watson. No homerism there, all pretty reasonable actually. QB's like Carr and Dak have not been better than Matt, Tannehill hasn't either. Matt so far isn't 10 or 11 but give it time. He still at least didn't lose on opening day.

Listened to the Locked on Colts podcast, and one thing they talked about with Ballard is his reluctance to change his strategy. His draft strategy is predictable. They said that if you look at the WRs and DEs he drafts, they’re all basically the same players. He keeps drafting the same types of players and it’s not working, and he hasn’t changed his approach yet. A lot of what we’ve discussed here. He’s great at finding talent but the priority of that talent and where that talent is on the roster, isn’t really where it should be. 

They also mentioned that he’s not a risk taker, and that has back fired the most. He has completely refused to draft a young QB in the 1st round, has never moved up in the 1st round of the draft, hasn’t tried trading for any Star players besides Buckner, and hasn’t gone after any legitimate FAs for the positions he wasn’t able to fix in the draft.

The more I hear, the more I’m on board with moving on from him and Reich. Ballard seems stuck in his ways. The best quote I heard was “you have to hit on the premium positions in the draft, and when you don’t, you have to use FA to supplement that”. And Ballard does neither. Great talent evaluator, but not a team builder.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Listened to the Locked on Colts podcast, and one thing they talked about with Ballard is his reluctance to change his strategy. His draft strategy is predictable. They said that if you look at the WRs and DEs he drafts, they’re all basically the same players. He keeps drafting the same types of players and it’s not working, and he hasn’t changed his approach yet. A lot of what we’ve discussed here. He’s great at finding talent but the priority of that talent and where that talent is on the roster, isn’t really where it should be. 

They also mentioned that he’s not a risk taker, and that has back fired the most. He has completely refused to draft a young QB in the 1st round, has never moved up in the 1st round of the draft, hasn’t tried trading for any Star players besides Buckner, and hasn’t gone after any legitimate FAs for the positions he wasn’t able to fix in the draft.

The more I hear, the more I’m on board with moving on from him and Reich. Ballard seems stuck in his ways. The best quote I heard was “you have to hit on the premium positions in the draft, and when you don’t, you have to use FA to supplement that”. And Ballard does neither. Great talent evaluator, but not a team builder.

All been said here, by the wiser of the bunch. 

12 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

just herbert is pretty good im sure the giants who took a tackle at 4 would of moved back for two first and second so they could finish rebuilding .  buckner is good but a QB has a greater impact on games

Not only that but having the QB of the future also makes it A LOT easier to land big time FAs. 

Just now, stitches said:

Yep, but that only matters if you are willing to give competitive offers to big time FAs and Ballard hasn't been so far...

While I generally agree we’ve seen before starplayers being willing to do discount deals for a chance at a ring.

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

just herbert is pretty good im sure the giants who took a tackle at 4 would of moved back for two first and second so they could finish rebuilding .  buckner is good but a QB has a greater impact on games

To go from 27 to 10 to get Mahomes the Chiefs gave up the 27th pick in 2017, a 2017 3rd, and a 2018 first…to move up 17 spots. Lions and Giants were both rebuilding and I doubt they were smitten with Okudah and Thomas. To go from 13 to 3 would have been doable. 13 to 2 would have been pricy.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

To go from 27 to 10 to get Mahomes the Chiefs gave up the 27th pick in 2017, a 2017 3rd, and a 2018 first…to move up 17 spots. Lions and Giants were both rebuilding and I doubt they were smitten with Okudah and Thomas. To go from 13 to 3 would have been doable. 13 to 2 would have been pricy.

Trading up to 10 is way different than trading up into the top 4. The colts got a first and 3 seconds to drop down 3 spots. Going from 14 to 3 or 4 requires someone willing to drop down 11 spots. They are going to be asking for WAY more than what the Colts got. Way more.

Those 2 teams probably didnt want to miss out on the upper tier talent in the draft, which would be gone at that point, and asked for a haul. 

We have no way to know whether or not they had discussions. 

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

We have no way to know whether or not they had discussions. 

IIRC didn’t the Lions GM say they were open for business that year? No one called though because the top 5 teams picking were all content. Jeff Okudah hasn’t even been good either.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard loops Irsay in on everything but the coaching hire is on him. He interviews the candidates, and the final decision is his to make. 

I doubt Irsay gets involved in the QB decision. You think Jim is watching Will Levi’s tape lol? 

Irsay was very involved in the Reich hire. Reich was here for 6 years up to 2011 and Irsay was very vocal about him when he was hired.

Also Ballard was the big Brissett fanboy, not Reich.

How did you come to this conclusion? Neither had much choice when Luck retired.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:04 AM, MasterLunatic said:

Has everyone lost their minds? Ballard doesn't know how to build a team? Pfff.  7 pro bowlers last year. He has a good team, what he doesn't have is someone in charge that can bring the best out of that team.  The Colts have been plagued with slow starts, injuries and players not playing up to their potential.  All this points to bad coaching.  I think Frank would probably be fine as offensive coordinator.  I think that being the head coach is too much for him and he has lost focus on his play scheming.  I can't say I recall him having ever been a main coach before.  Didn't he just do QB coach and play calling in Philly?

He didn't even do play calling in Philly. Don't think he did play calling ever to my knowledge. He was horrible in the beginning and hasn't improved.

I noticed this year especially over another year is RAs scores seem to be huge with him.

Kinda why I think if he was GM during Polians Era we would've never traded Faulk. Grabbed Leaf, never drafted Wayne, Freeney or Mathis. Remember Polian inherited Harrison and Glenn. Bratske would've remained our RDE.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, Maniac53 said:

So do I stop liking a coach and GM cause you bring up some stats? 

No I don't, I want rid of both by end of season. Depending how season goes. If we win Division I want rid of Ballard, If we dont win Division I want rid of both. That is probably the be best scenario for me.

I don't think Frank is the issue think it is a combo....

Sure let's get him 10 years for the re build why not keep going keep going

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

People keep bringing Herbert up. Chargers weren't trading that 6th pick, we were picking 13th. #1 - We don't know what the Giants would've done, #2 - nobody knew how good Herbert would be. You have hindsight now so it is easy. 

In hindsight, we should have took Josh Allen at #6 instead of Nelson in the 2018 draft, see how easy that is. Oh wait, we still had Andrew Luck so we made the right pick.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People keep bringing Herbert up. Chargers weren't trading that 6th pick, we were picking 13th. #1 - We don't know what the Giants would've done, #2 - nobody knew how good Herbert would be. You have hindsight now so it is easy. 

In hindsight, we should have took Josh Allen at #6 instead of Nelson in the 2018 draft, see how easy that is. Oh wait, we still had Andrew Luck so we made the right pick.

i just rather have a gm that tries to trade up and takes a risk worst case colts get a top draft pick when the QB fails .   after watching manning and luck for so long it makes me sick watching band aid QBS and being to good to tank while being to bad to make a run in the playoffs .      i honestly rather tank a year or two to get 15 good years and relive my childhood watching a elite QB put on a clinic every year .

10 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i just rather have a gm that tries to trade up and takes a risk worst case colts get a top draft pick when the QB fails .   after watching manning and luck for so long it makes me sick watching band aid QBS and being to good to tank while being to bad to make a run in the playoffs .      i honestly rather tank a year or two to get 15 good years and relive my childhood watching a elite QB put on a clinic every year .

Arch Manning 2026 The Simpsons Homer GIF by Creative Courage- Homer for president of the Colts.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

IIRC didn’t the Lions GM say they were open for business that year? No one called though because the top 5 teams picking were all content. Jeff Okudah hasn’t even been good either.

Well they didnt know that on draft day because they didnt get to watch him for 3 years and then decide whether he was good or not. He was the consensus number 1 corner in the draft that year by virtually everybody. Sometimes guys dont work out. 

I dont understand how you go from stressing the importance of premium players at premier positions like LT and CB to scoffing at the idea that those teams coveted the guys they deemed the top players at those positions on draft day.

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yep. At least that is what they said.

“We had a lot of conversations,” Quinn said in a video conference after Thursday's first round. “We never got a firm offer. No team put anything on the table. Had multiple conversations with multiple teams. They were kind of fishing around and we were open for business as you guys know, and nothing was ever put out in front of us to evaluate.”

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Can someone refresh my memory....why did we give up on Wentz so early? He has looked fantastic so far this year. 

He has? He just lost to the Lions and we weren't winning a SB with him anyway. Matt may not be the answer either but Wentz sure as hell wasn't after that crap he pulled last year. Commanders will be lucky to finish above .500. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has? He just lost to the Lions and we weren't winning a SB with him anyway. Matt may not be the answer either but Wentz sure as hell wasn't after that crap he pulled last year. Commanders will be lucky to finish above .500. 

Ummm...don't look now but the Lions are pretty good. Who did CW beat?...oh yeah...the Jags. Hmmmmm

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Can someone refresh my memory....why did we give up on Wentz so early? He has looked fantastic so far this year. 

He’s got 3 INTs (one being a pick 6) in 2 games and he’s played the Jaguars (I’ll bet you can’t name a DB on that team) and the Lions.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, Goatface Killah said:

We are gonna wait 8-10 years anyways, just like we did with Manning.

You wanna fire him and start from scratch. How long you think that is gonna take?

I would rather give Ballard 4 more years and a new coach. Absolutely. Let the man learn and get better at his job. Gice the team a better HC and a new voice. Keep your 3 1st team all pros in their prime and add to that. 

And maybe see how the season plays out.

The Chris Ballard 10-year rebuilding plan! This is a strategy the rest of the NFL will definitely be stealing! 

13 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Say what you want but I would say there is a 0% chance Ballard gets fired anytime soon so have fun whining about it everyday for the foreseeable future.

Really? If they go 6-10 or worse and look like they have personnel weaknesses all over the offense and defense, you think there's a 0% chance he gets fired at the end of the season?

On 9/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Over 300 yards in two games and has what 7 TD. He has looked pretty derm good. Yes we would of been ahead of the game giving him a second year after everything that happened lady yesr. But Irsay had to take his personal issues out on him and made them trade him. I bet if you ask Ballard and Reich they both would of given him a second year. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Over 300 yards in two games and has what 7 TD. He has looked pretty derm good. Yes we would of been ahead of the game giving him a second year after everything that happened lady yesr. But Irsay had to take his personal issues out on him and made them trade him. I bet if you ask Ballard and Reich they both would of given him a second year. 

He has looked good but we weren't winning anything big with him. So we gambled with Matt, will Matt be the answer? Maybe, maybe not but I am not ready to give up on the season after 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Really? If they go 6-10 or worse and look like they have personnel weaknesses all over the offense and defense, you think there's a 0% chance he gets fired at the end of the season?

Irsay loves the guy and knows he is actually pretty good at his job, as does the rest of the league. 

Its wierd but the only place you hear people complain about the talent on the Colts, which is his job, is Colts fans who want better receivers lol

I also think the Colts will win more than 6 games.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

Irsay loves the guy and knows he is actually pretty good at his job, as does the rest of the league. 

Its wierd but the only place you hear people complain about the talent on the Colts, which is his job, is Colts fans who want better receivers lol

I also think the Colts will win more than 6 games.

Even we lose today I still think we will win the division. We will beat Tennessee next week, that I feel real confident about with the game being here.

Archived