Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Much Do You trust Ballard with This teams future?

Defjamz26

Do You Trust Ballard   

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Ballard to Draft the QB of the future for the Colts?

• Yes, I think he can get it right
    • No, I think he’ll blow it
    • No, I think he’ll just keep patching the position and never spend premium draft capital on one
  2. 2. Do You Trust Ballard to Hire the right Head Coach if Reich is Let Go?

• Yes, I think he can find a legitimate upgrade
    • No, he’ll just hire someone else in the same mold as Reich

Given that there is a lot of talk about the future of the Colts, I wanted to see what the thoughts were on if people felt Ballard is the guy to lead the Colts into the future. There are two very important areas that usually make or break a football team that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later. That’s HC and long term QB. They definitely need to be upgraded, but with what we’ve seen this season (and I guess the past 5 seasons) from Ballard, do we even trust him to make the right picks?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't figured him out.  He drafted more boundary players and dynamic players the past two drafts, which is good. 

But that may only have been because we are pretty full at the interior positions.

I don't know if he is the guy to find a more "modern" coach.

10 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

The CAP allocations are at the wrong positions. It's a boat taking on water.

Yes.  That is the biggest problem.  The cap is going up and the old QB will be rolling off, so the boat could right itself...but...it will be a couple more years.....again.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  That is the biggest problem.  The cap is going up and the old QB will be rolling off, so the boat could right itself...but...it will be a couple more years.....again.

All very true. The core players. however, will also be a couple of years older. Many may be in decline by that time. There is a case to be made to shred it and go get your QB for the next 8-10 years - whatever it takes.  

15 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

All very true. The core players. however, will also be a couple of years older. Many may be in decline by that time. There is a case to be made to shred it and go get your QB for the next 8-10 years - whatever it takes.  

Yeah I know.  The problem with our core players is that they are not that consequential to the success of the team.  So if they decline, will we notice?

Just now, Maniac53 said:

Irsay is a sucker!!! C'mon now!!!

I think Irsay is a great owner, that is not asleep at the wheel. He did chew the FO out at the end of the season. I don’t think he’s meddles to much and let’s the GM be the GM.

If, the Colts don’t turn it around quickly, he’s going fire folks. It’s that simple. 

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Irsay is a great owner, that is not asleep at the wheel. He did chew the FO out at the end of the season. I don’t think he’s meddles to much and let’s the GM be the GM.

If, the Colts don’t turn it around quickly, he’s going fire folks. It’s that simple. 

He takes to long at  making that turn...

Just now, Maniac53 said:

DITCH!!!

I think Ballard may have finally backed himself into a corner and will have no choice but to draft a QB. When that QB struggles like most young QBs do, then he may lose his job bc time has ran out. Ive said from the get go not trading up to have his choice of Herbert or Tua was a huge mistake.  Going the veteran QB route has historically not worked.  Yes I understand there are exceptions but we are obviously not it. 

Team management severely overestimated how good we were back then. We can be competitive with a veteran QB but we won’t sniff a SB.  Finding a franchise QB in the draft should have been the #1 priority.

Instead they have bungled the most inportant position:

Signed Jacoby to a needless extension

Signed Phillip Rivers who was ok 

Traded for Wentz

Traded for Matt Ryan

Restructured Ryan’s contract guaranteeing him next year. 

That’s three moves with minimal results. I think Ryan will improve and salvage the season somewhat. Still, I don’t trust Ballard to successfully pick another QB. 

The philosophy is not necessarily wrong. The question to me is WHY is the NFL’s most expensive line failing to produce. It’s something other than talent. If the line we’re producing, I feel strongly that people would marvel that Matty Ice is back!

I don’t know what it is, you don’t know what it is, but there is obviously something happening with this meal that has nothing to do with the groceries. 

1 minute ago, Maniac53 said:

Well, he fired Grigson after back to back 8-8 seasons, and after his 5th season as GM. 

If, the Colts fail to make the playoffs, a very good possibility at the moment. And Irsay retains Ballard,  it would be hard to argue your comment. 

I can’t see the justification in keeping him after 2022, without a deep run, which is highly unlikely. 

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

he is to patient  that is his flaw .  its good to be patient but not over patient  , it takes a good balance he held onto grigson to long and chuck which ruined lucks career .    he did the same thing with polians son  who was taking over and not as good as his father by 2010 the colts were in cap trouble with aging players with no replacements and his picks were missing .

Just now, coming on strong said:

he is to patient  that is his flaw .  its good to be patient but not over patient  , it takes a good balance he held onto grigson to long and chuck which ruined lucks career .    he did the same thing with polians son  who was taking over and not as good as his father by 2010 the colts were in cap trouble with aging players with no replacements and his picks were missing .

Most GMs get roughly 5ish years to make their organization a contender. More than enough time, to turn a franchise in playoff caliber team. The turn over with GMs is frequent and most never get a second chance. There are a few, like Polian. 

27 minutes ago, lester said:

The question to me is WHY is the NFL’s most expensive line failing to produce.

I'll speculate:

1).  Nelson and Smith came into this league having been 3 or 4 year starters at major college programs.  They both did well as rookies.  It could be that they were closer to their prime at a younger age than what is typical, and that as new players are added to the NFL each year, their talent level isn't as impressive as the rise in the talent of the competition.  They are getting caught up to.

2).  Defenses have figured out to attack the LOS.  The oline is under duress instead of having...at any time...the defense back on its heels.  That speaks to talent on the rest of the offense, scheme, coaching, Frank, Marcus Brady, and generally the rest of the offense besides the oline not being able to find the answers to get the defenses to back off to normal play.   DCs figured it out last season and it continues this season.

14 minutes ago, lester said:

The philosophy is not necessarily wrong. The question to me is WHY is the NFL’s most expensive line failing to produce. It’s something other than talent. If the line we’re producing, I feel strongly that people would marvel that Matty Ice is back!

I don’t know what it is, you don’t know what it is, but there is obviously something happening with this meal that has nothing to do with the groceries. 

I feel like his philosophy is solid except with how he has handled the QB position. The first thing Ballard ever said that put me off was when they asked him about drafting a QB. His response was “I’m not just taking one to take one because as soon as that kid doesn’t play good you guys (the media) are going to be on my back and my job will be on the line”.

It almost seemed as if he was saying he’d rather just not try than to try and fail. And honestly that’s a loser’s mentality. I get not reaching on a QB but he’s taken no shots at trying to get a franchise QB and this is what year 4 post Luck retirement? He said if he failed his job would be on the line. Sure he hasn’t drafted a QB bust but the team is still falling short of expectations.

Ballard is not a risk taker and doesn’t seem to have killer instincts. We have needed a LT for 2 years now and his only solutions have been bringing in a washed up Fisher, signing Matt Pryor (terrible decision), and drafting Raiman in the 3rd round. 

I don’t get the philosophy. You don’t want to “reach” on a QB because you don’t want the backlash and consequences if he fails, but you don’t want to spend picks to get premium QB in a trade. And then if you’re never bad enough to be within striking range to draft the top QBs, and you don’t like trading up because you’re a pick hoarder, how exactly are you supposed to get a QB of the future?

I don't trust Ballard on acquiring a elite QB which is a hard task for any GM, especially because I don't think we'll be bad enough to be in position to get one AND doubt  he spends the resources to move up to draft him. 

I seriously doubt the next HC will be a Top HC. The colts history suggests our next HC won't be anything special. Dungy.was good but nothing great, imo. The previous Top HC in colts history was Don Shula in the Baltimore days which was 6 Decades ago!!!

But despite the odds of replacing Reich with a hc that's a significant upgrade, I would love to see him go asap lol. Same for Ballard even though I doubt the next Polian will replace him. 

HC hire - it's both a Owner and GM responsibility. Reich wasn't in 1st round, and was hired in round 2, after missed others. .... So likely 5+ rank lol...

HC issue... on Ballard???? huh... nah

Who likely pushed for JB, Rivers, and Wentz???.... uh... likely Reich.

And the owner... guarantee you, he gets involved in QB decisions....

53 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

HC hire - it's both a Owner and GM responsibility. Reich wasn't in 1st round, and was hired in round 2, after missed others. .... So likely 5+ rank lol...

HC issue... on Ballard???? huh... nah

Who likely pushed for JB, Rivers, and Wentz???.... uh... likely Reich.

And the owner... guarantee you, he gets involved in QB decisions....

Ballard loops Irsay in on everything but the coaching hire is on him. He interviews the candidates, and the final decision is his to make. 

I doubt Irsay gets involved in the QB decision. You think Jim is watching Will Levi’s tape lol? 

Also Ballard was the big Brissett fanboy, not Reich.

Yes I think he will get it right because he is very good talent evaluator so as a talent evaluator for the team he will do awesome job, but as a GM I dont think so.

No, I dont think since his first choice was McDaniel and then Reich I would like to rather have Defensive minded coach unlike Mr. Pagano but more like Dungy. 

Do I trust Ballard to draft the QB of the future?

No. There has been too much that has gone wrong. 

Do I trust Ballard to make the next HC hire if Reich is let go? 

No. 

In some situations it can work out to keep your GM and fire your HC but I don't think that's the case here. 

I feel the current Colts situation is a lot more like the Girgson/Pagano one. Maybe not all of the same issues but the same sort of debate is setting in where it's who is more at fault and who should potentially go.

There is enough blame to be shared between both Ballard and Reich that I don't trust either going forward from what we have seen. I think if you let Reich go and keep Ballard it's sending the message that we just need to change things from a coaching standpoint. I don't agree with that. Jim is involved in the HC hire too but from a GM standpoint I want a fresh start.

Overall I don't trust Ballard as the GM.

• He emphasized how important the locker room is. It's why he mostly stays away from expensive free agents, brought in Brian Decker, drafts guys with specific character traits, etc. Well, the way this team ended last season and started this season makes me think there are some serious issues in the locker room. I am speculating but to me it's a red flag. 
  • He initially improved the offensive line but it was a problem last year and is again this year. This is supposed to be the strength of the team. Besides that it would be a major issue no matter who your QB is or what weapons he has to throw too. Coaching can be questioned but Matt Pryor at LT? Pinter should be at C and not G. They lost depth in the offseason too. 
  • The defensive line is supposed to be another strong unit on this team and it never has been outside of run defense. Coaching and schemes can be questioned here but talent is an issue too. 1st round picks used on Buckner and Paye and plenty of day 2 picks on others. A lot of investments that haven't came close to paying dividends. 
  • His handling of WR and TE. I thought some sort of veteran should have been brought in but outside of Pittman Ballard decided to rely on a bunch of unproven guys. They talk about having Superbowl aspirations but these two positions don't look like they can get it done. Sure he drafted Pierce and Woods but you can't realistically expect those guys to improve that group in year 1. Certainly not for a team supposed to contend. 
  • The top of this roster is not good enough and they lack stability at key positions. 

There are some good things that Ballard has done but there isn't enough here to make me believe in him to continue on as the GM. Worst the areas that he values the most and poured countless resources into are not good enough. At some point results matter.

6 years in and what do we have? A team 2 weeks into the season with a coach who people are speculating if he will get fired during the season. 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard loops Irsay in on everything but the coaching hire is on him. He interviews the candidates, and the final decision is his to make. 

I doubt Irsay gets involved in the QB decision. You think Jim is watching Will Levi’s tape lol? 

Disagree. 

We know Irsay was heavily involved with letting Peyton go, and drafting Luck. 

Most owners get involved in big things. HC, QB, etc.. are 2 of 3 biggest things. 

Don't forget Irsay was GM... We have no clue what happens in the FO.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So do I stop liking a coach and GM cause you bring up some stats? 

No I don't, I want rid of both by end of season. Depending how season goes. If we win Division I want rid of Ballard, If we dont win Division I want rid of both. That is probably the be best scenario for me.

I don't think Frank is the issue think it is a combo....

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of differing opinions on that one. Who wanted JB, who didn’t. I know there was no need to extend him, and JB had zero leverage. He couldn’t hold out. They should’ve let him play out his final year of the rookie contract and assess at the end of the season.

The FO boasted it would take a lot to trade away JB, when there was supposed interest from various teams for high draft choices. lol 

When they finally realized, JB wasn’t a-starter/franchise QB, he became a “great locker room guy.” lol In other words, they screwed up. 

The JB era made somebody in FO, look foolish. End of story on that one. 

3 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

what was irsay thinking when he hired ballard

Chris Ballard was the number one most wanted GM candidate the year he was hired.    He had a great reputation from his time in Chicago.   He had a great reputation from his time in Kansas City.   He was highly in demand.  

Irsay hired the best GM candidate on the market.   That’s what he was thinking.   This wasn’t a well kept secret.   How is it that you don’t know this? 

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard was high on Brissett and NOT Reich?    Where did you get this from?   Frank was the one who said several times that JB was a top-20 quarterback.   I suspect both were high on him. 

I always thought we should have gone after one of Tua, Herbert or Fields. Would have been expensive but we could have done something.  We wasted picks on Carson and maybe Matt now anyway 

To be fair Fields hasnt been good, I'm an Alabama fan that did believe in Tua and Herbert has been even better than I expected

Who knows if Chris will ever hit on a young QB?  My short term optimism is fading fast 

Archived