Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr. Irsay

cdgacoltsfan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with cdacoltsfan

I am a big fan and defender of Mr Irsay in general but this is approaching character assassination.   I may be wrong but Wenz hasn't said anything bad since the move as far as I have run across. Many Colts players didn't reach their potential or bust and never heard Irsay keep on like he has with Wentz.

Players take note and this may cause cultural issues with team or potential future good players.  

Hope this isn't a Bobby Knight type end of the road melt down starting

Stay classy Sir!

12 minutes ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

Agree with cdacoltsfan

I am a big fan and defender of Mr Irsay in general but this is approaching character assassination.   I may be wrong but Wenz hasn't said anything bad since the move as far as I have run across. Many Colts players didn't reach their potential or bust and never heard Irsay keep on like he has with Wentz.

Players take note and this may cause cultural issues with team or potential future good players.  

Stay classy Sir!

The defense gave up several 4th quarter leads in crunch time. Wentz was not the only problem.

Agree with you guys (as an owner, you’ve got to watch what you say in public) , but Wentz was inconsistent.
  Maybe because he would look so good at times and at other times…..wth??

I never felt he would lead us to a championship. He zeroed in on Pittman when there were receivers that were wide open. Did the same thing in Philly with Wentz. 
    I can understand why Irsay was frustrated.

I’m admittedly not a huge Irsay fan.  He’s trashing someone else’s player who has acted with restraint and class .  I think Irsay is too much of a meddler and the franchise would be better off without him.  He’s a very childish person IMO.  Apparently his dad a was a total *, and that is hard to deal with.  I wish he’s shut up, sign the checks, and keep buying those cool guitars and manuscripts.

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I like Him and respect him but he needs to dial it back a bit. His constant droning on about his displeasure with Carson Wentz is embarrassing himself and the organization. Just thank Carson for his service ...it didn't work out. Let it go and move on. 

100 percent, CDGA!   Even 1000 percent!

Take the high road and move on.   Bite your tongue.   Simply say it’s too bad it didn’t work out when CW was here and wish him the best where he is now with the exception of one week.    Be classy and stay classy. 

I’m all for unfiltered honesty from people inside the building.  But only as it applies to the Colts. And Carson Wentz is no longer a Colt.

It’s understandable that he might make one passing comment about it.  But to keep harping on about it is just classless.  Jim Irsay is usually better than that, IMO.

I think Irsay is too passionate at times. I love Irsay and his genuine desire to win, but there was a lot more going on last year than Carson.

Instead of focusing on the negatives like the Jacksonville game, I choose to focus on the positives, like the Christmas miracle Wentz gave us in AZ. Irsay should move on too.

26 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m all for unfiltered honesty from people inside the building.  But only as it applies to the Colts. And Carson Wentz is no longer a Colt.

It’s understandable that he might make one passing comment about it.  But to keep harping on about it is just classless.  Jim Irsay is usually better than that, IMO.

I think it comes from a place of frustration, especially at how the season ended. I genuinely believe that the biggest Colts fan in the world is Jim Irsay. However, Wentz was not the only reason we collapsed in the home stretch last year, that is something everyone in the Colts organization must accept responsibility for.

Carson had his issues, but at the end of the day it’s a team game, and Irsay should focus on our upcoming season, not a game from over 6 months ago.

4 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

He’s not saying anything there that a large number of posters here didn’t say.  I’ll give Wentz credit he’s handled this very well however, the reasons the Colts gave up on him after one year are mostly to do with on the field performance not how he handles being criticized.  

My issue here isn't even necessarily why Jim keeps going after Wentz. It's why Jim doesn't blame Ballard and Reich more about this situation. Wentz didn't force his way into Indy. Ballard and Reich wanted him and traded for him. They are the duo who made the (wrong) decision to bring Wentz on the team and let him be our QB for a year and waste a 1st round draft pick. Why isn't Irsay mad at them? 

It's like being the owner of a Fortune 500 company, and the GM or person doing interviews does a poor job of either doing a background check on someone or interviewing someone properly. The person hired makes the company look terrible in some way (bringing national attention to it), and drives stocks down 25% (just as a hypothetical), because of said reason (be imaginative). 

Does the owner of the Fortune 500 company get more mad at the person who did this, or the people who were responsible for bringing him in that caused his company to look bad? This is the closest example to an actual football team I can give, and I'm guessing in that example, the person (hypothetically) who did that interview and hired the person who made that company look terrible would be fired on the spot.

All I'm saying is, Wentz didn't hire himself. Yes, he was bad, but Ballard and Reich brought him in. If Irsay is mad at anyone, it should be those two. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My issue here isn't even necessarily why Jim keeps going after Wentz. It's why Jim doesn't blame Ballard and Reich more about this situation. Wentz didn't force his way into Indy. Ballard and Reich wanted him and traded for him. They are the duo who made the (wrong) decision to bring Wentz on the team and let him be our QB for a year and waste a 1st round draft pick. Why isn't Irsay mad at them? 

It's like being the owner of a Fortune 500 company, and the GM or person doing interviews does a poor job of either doing a background check on someone or interviewing someone properly. The person hired makes the company look terrible in some way (bringing national attention to it), and drives stocks down 25% (just as a hypothetical), because of said reason (be imaginative). 

Does the owner of the Fortune 500 company get more mad at the person who did this, or the people who were responsible for bringing him in that caused his company to look bad? This is the closest example to an actual football team I can give, and I'm guessing in that example, the person (hypothetically) who did that interview and hired the person who made that company look terrible would be fired on the spot.

All I'm saying is, Wentz didn't hire himself. Yes, he was bad, but Ballard and Reich brought him in. If Irsay is mad at anyone, it should be those two. 

Very valid. But mind you, Irsay was and is likely still scorching mad at them. Don’t forget after the Jags game, he called them in for a very long meeting that very night. I’m sure that wasn’t a party

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

I’m admittedly not a huge Irsay fan.  He’s trashing someone else’s player who has acted with restraint and class .  I think Irsay is too much of a meddler and the franchise would be better off without him.  He’s a very childish person IMO.  Apparently his dad a was a total *, and that is hard to deal with.  I wish he’s shut up, sign the checks, and keep buying those cool guitars and manuscripts.

The team was a bottom feeding laughingstock before Jim took over.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It’s really, really hard to get a good QB in the NFL.

Even drafting one high is far from a guarantee.  The list of highly drafted QB busts is long.  And once a team gets a good one, they hang onto him like dear life.  So it’s even harder to get one through trade or FA - unless you’re willing to mortgage the farm like the Rams did.

Losing our franchise QB the way we did, with a solid team already built around him, was devastating.  I do not blame Ballard or Reich for that situation or the difficulty in landing a good QB since then.  Taking a swing with Wentz was probably the best option at that time.

Even the Commanders went and did the same after he flamed out here.  What does that tell you?

58 minutes ago, Myles said:

Time to shut your mouth about Wentz Jim.  

Yeah the main reason that The Colts have had success is that the franchise had the good fortune to have the two easiest and obvious decisions perhaps in NFL history.

Every GM ever would have drafted Manning and Luck.  There is an argument to be made that the franchise underachieved with those two all time talents.  

not that interested in debating this topic, frankly it’s boring.

the best owners hire good management, let them do their jobs, sign checks,  and keep their mouths shut.  Jimmy fails at at least 2 of these IMO.

just shut up about Carson Wentz.  He’s with Washington now.

if Wentz does improve that team from where it was and I think it’s likely moving on from Heinicke, Jim’s gonna look real stupid.  

jim is very very childish.  He’s a very cringeworthy dude.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah the main reason that The Colts have had success is that the franchise had the good fortune to have the two easiest and obvious decisions perhaps in NFL history.

Every GM ever would have drafted Manning and Luck.  There is an argument to be made that the franchise underachieved with those two all time talents.  

not that interested in debating this topic, frankly it’s boring.

the best owners hire good management, let them do their jobs, sign checks,  and keep their mouths shut.  Jimmy fails at at least 2 of these IMO.

just shut up about Carson Wentz.  He’s with Washington now.

if Wentz does improve that team from where it was and I think it’s likely moving on from Heinicke, Jim’s gonna look real stupid.  

jim is very very childish. 

This matter aside, I love having Jim Irsay as the owner of my favorite team.  I can’t think of too many of the current owners I’d rather have - but I can easily think of plenty I’d rather not have.

27 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It’s really, really hard to get a good QB in the NFL.

Even drafting one high is far from a guarantee.  The list of highly drafted QB busts is long.  And once a team gets a good one, they hang onto him like dear life.  So it’s even harder to get one through trade or FA - unless you’re willing to mortgage the farm like the Rams did.

Losing our franchise QB the way we did, with a solid team already built around him, was devastating.  I do not blame Ballard or Reich for that situation or the difficulty in landing a good QB since then.  Taking a swing with Wentz was probably the best option at that time.

Even the Commanders went and did the same after he flamed out here.  What does that tell you?

This is irrelevant to why Irsay is mad at Wentz and not as much at Ballard and Reich.

As far as your post goes. It's very arguable that Wentz was probably the best option. For the cost? Maybe. In reality, even before the trade and before hindsight, he may of been the worst option besides the Wentz/Reich prior chemistry and being cheaper. Stafford has and always will be a much superior option to Wentz, there was also Fields and Mac Jones who were obtainable through the draft (I can say this because the Bears traded up from 20 to get Fields at 11 and we had the 21st pick). That's 1 option who was better, and two young guys that are possible franchise QBs. 

I don't technically blame Reich and Ballard for Brissett starting in 2019 and Wentz in 2021. Brissett there was no choice, and Wentz was younger than 30 at the time, so he had longevity if he worked out. The dumb decisions were Rivers (at most he was playing two years), and Matt Ryan (he's already 37 before playing a down for us). These two decisions are just delaying us getting a franchise QB through the draft (which Ballard has admitted he fears losing his job if he misses on drafting one).

The bottom line is Irsays anger is misplaced. Unless Wentz deceived Irsay or lied to him about something, then it was Ballard and Reich who wanted him on the team and misjudged how good he was.

People complaining about Jim Irsay are comical. He is one of the best owners in football and his passion for winning is priceless. Maybe he is still mad at the way the season ended last year. He is the owner of the team, he can complain about any player he wants too as he is the one paying them 10, 20, 30 Mill a year, etc..

Since he has been owner = 1998, we have been to 4 AFC Title Games - 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB's - 2006/2009, and we have won a SB - 2006. If people don't like him complaining or what he says, I have a suggestion, Tune him out and ignore him.

What he said isn’t bad at all. Irsay paid the guy $25m+ so has every right to say his former employee caused a lot of problems. This is all speculation, I think there were issues going on behind the scenes. To me it looks like Wentz may have been  insubordinate in what he was told to do. As a boss, whenever myself or other supervisors act like this about an employee it’s typically bc the buttheads would not listen. There is obviously an extreme animosity between Irsay and Wentz and it’s there for a reason. If Irsay wants to be open that Wentz cost the Colts a good season, I can respect it.  I’m thankful for him being open and not spewing coach speak like it is 99.9% of the time

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People complaining about Jim Irsay are comical. He is one of the best owners in football and his passion for winning is priceless. Maybe he is still mad at the way the season ended last year. He is the owner of the team, he can complain about any player he wants too as he is the one paying them 10, 20, 30 Mill a year, etc..

Since he has been owner = 1998, we have been to 4 AFC Title Games - 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB's - 2006/2009, and we have won a SB - 2006. If people don't like him complaining or what he says, I have a suggestion, Tune him out and ignore him.

@Nicksteris the only one laughing, I got 3 LIKES and a laugh because my post was dead on, if some don't like it, oh well. Irsay can criticize whoever he wants as the owner of the team that has played for him especially paying them millions of dollars. Anyone in here own a company? If you own a company you know who is a good worker and a bad one and can say what you want. You own the company and want it ran right, not hard to comprehend. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Nicksteris the only one laughing, I got 3 LIKES and a laugh because my post was dead on, if some don't like it, oh well. Irsay can criticize whoever he wants as the owner of the team that has played for him especially paying them millions of dollars. Anyone in here own a company? If you own a company you know who is a good worker and a bad one and can say what you want. You own the company and want it ran right, not hard to comprehend. 

Grownsed adz man counting likes lol.  

social media GIF by RealityTVGIFs

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Grownsed adz man counting likes lol.  

social media GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Twist things however you want, I don't count LIKES but brought that post up just to show you many agree with me and you are laughing. I just think when it comes to me you like to stir doo doo up for no reason, go ahead if that is makes your day. Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

17 hours ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

Agree with cdacoltsfan

Stay classy Sir!

Yeah, he may need to shut up but he is the owner. It is his billion dollar toy so he has the right. U have to remember, Irsay gave up a lot to get this guy. I think a lot happened that we don't know about. I believe Carson must have really screwed Irsay over with something. This trade came with a lot of promise. I think Carson shook his head yes to a lot of things  before the season began and what they wanted  him to do on Sunday's. I truly believe the not vaxing was a big issue. I think an even bigger issue is that Frank sat down with him numerous times and said we just need this from u. As evidenced by his play on Sundays, Carson did his own thing. U have to remember if Carson would played like Frank wanted him, they could have made some noise. The NFL season is torture. As an owner, and Irsay is a very knowledgeable  one, I might not let it go. Millions are invested over 17 games and Irsay feels that if this guy just plays within the system and we make the  play offs and who knows what happens next. I truly believe that Irsay has an intense dislike for Wentz. It just really comes across that Carson was this incredibly stubborn player who put his interests above those of team. I am not talking bout vexing cause that is a personal decision.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

What he said isn’t bad at all. Irsay paid the guy $25m+ so has every right to say his former employee caused a lot of problems. This is all speculation, I think there were issues going on behind the scenes. To me it looks like Wentz may have been  insubordinate in what he was told to do. As a boss, whenever myself or other supervisors act like this about an employee it’s typically bc the buttheads would not listen. There is obviously an extreme animosity between Irsay and Wentz and it’s there for a reason. If Irsay wants to be open that Wentz cost the Colts a good season, I can respect it.  I’m thankful for him being open and not spewing coach speak like it is 99.9% of the time

I think this will all play out again in Washington. I have a feeling that there will be a general mutiny before end of season to get rid of Wentz. He seems to lack accountability big time. I get the not to throw mud but he hasn't really defended himself. Maybe because he can't.

19 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I like Him and respect him but he needs to dial it back a bit. His constant droning on about his displeasure with Carson Wentz is embarrassing himself and the organization. Just thank Carson for his service ...it didn't work out. Let it go and move on. 

I concur.

While his enthusiasm and belief in his team are inspiring - he needs to keep from airing his expectations.  Start small and then build on the progress.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

21 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Agreed

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

If he does he became a different human being. It’s was obvious all year Wentz was not the guy. It aired on tv every week and you could see he just isn’t a good dude.

Jim Irsay > Carson Wentz > @Nickster

So I guess you are saying that Frank really did not know Wentz very well. Frank is the one that convinced Ballard and Irsay to trade for Wentz and that we just had to have him. He is supposed to be a man of faith just like Frank.

25 minutes ago, BigO said:

So I guess you are saying that Frank really did not know Wentz very well. Frank is the one that convinced Ballard and Irsay to trade for Wentz and that we just had to have him. He is supposed to be a man of faith just like Frank.

Frank, had left Philly went they broke Nick

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Twist things however you want, I don't count LIKES but brought that post up just to show you many agree with me and you are laughing. I just think when it comes to me you like to stir doo doo up for no reason, go ahead if that is makes your day. Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Man you comment on just about every topic and I agree with a few of your idea but disagree with most of them.  You also seem to feel like you are some sort of regulator of the way people should think about everything Colts football and the way people should communicate about Colts football.

if you want to talk ball I’m down with that.  If you don’t I’m down with that too.  If you want to be sheriff of what I say I’m not going to accept your authority.

you generally start commenting on my posts rather than the opposite.  I am not a huge Irsay fan.  What is that to you?  Yeah say something about 15 year old SB appearances when we had the best QB in history at the time.  I find that to be more coincidental than causal personally.  Apparently, you don’t.  That’s what’s funny to me. 

then you count likes.  Did you notice that there are several posters that agreed with me about Irsay.  I’ve personally never been impressed with what I’ve seen from Jim Irsay in anything.  So what?

if you don’t like my opinions or style, I have a suggestion .  Don’t respond to them .  You laughed at my first post in this thread.  And I just looked.  I got three likes lol,for it.

and dude you are just hard to ignore on this board.  You are everywhere all the time and then you are upset because I laughed at one,if you’re ur posts.

51 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Man you comment on just about every topic and I agree with a few of your idea but disagree with most of them.  You also seem to feel like you are some sort of regulator of the way people should think about everything Colts football and the way people should communicate about Colts football.

if you want to talk ball I’m down with that.  If you don’t I’m down with that too.  If you want to be sheriff of what I say I’m not going to accept your authority.

you generally start commenting on my posts rather than the opposite.  I am not a huge Irsay fan.  What is that to you?  Yeah say something about 15 year old SB appearances when we had the best QB in history at the time.  I find that to be more coincidental than causal personally.  Apparently, you don’t.  That’s what’s funny to me. 

then you count likes.  Did you notice that there are several posters that agreed with me about Irsay.  I’ve personally never been impressed with what I’ve seen from Jim Irsay in anything.  So what?

if you don’t like my opinions or style, I have a suggestion .  Don’t respond to them .  You laughed at my first post in this thread.  And I just looked.  I got three likes lol,for it.

and dude you are just hard to ignore on this board.  You are everywhere all the time and then you are upset because I laughed at one,if you’re ur posts.

I’m totally with you on your stance with irsay. I will never forget how he cut Peyton, gutted our super bowl ready roster, fired Caldwell and polian, and then finds him self getting picked up for a dui all in one summer. I remember thinking this should not be a guy making any serious decisions. When it comes to wentz I guess it easier for irsay to pick a scapegoat that doesn’t agree with him politically then to actually look into the the real issues on this team.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

For what it’s worth…..

The Colts we’re the winningest franchise in the NFL from 2000 to 2009, and the 4th winningest franchise from 2000 thru 2021.  That all happened on Irsay’s watch.  He hired Polian and Ballard.   

Irsay may be a deeply flawed human being, but that shouldn’t stop knowledgeable fans from giving him credit.   That we’ve had so much success for so long is not a coincidence.  Give the man his due.  

Typically, blame for bad franchises goes to the owner.   Seems fair that credit should go to good franchises to their owner as well. 

Archived