Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts trade Wentz to Washington for 2 3d round picks

stitches

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If he beats the colts it won’t be funny.

Oh, we're cheering for Wentz to be successful.  Ideal scenario - we get up big and give Wentz the Josh Johnson treatment.  We make him look like a star, so he keeps the starting job for another month.  

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That's what I was thinking with the move up of 5 slots. 

Within striking range of the lower 1st.  The WASH third, which is a high third, and the WASH 2nd could get us into the bottom of the first.

Carson Strong would probably be there. or others.  Get the 5th year option. 

Sign Mariota.

They apparently love Pickett according to PFF

I want Strong badly

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Because we’re going to expend yet more resources to replace him with somebody who probably won’t be any better (and may well be worse)….and those resources are needed to address other deficiencies.

It would’ve made more sense to use this off-season to address those needs, give him one more year, and if his play doesn’t improve then use the high 1R draft pick we’ll have next year (with a better QB class, by most projections) to take a swing at a rookie.

They may just sign a vet FA.  Maybe wait and see what the plan is

Ballard has said he is looking at near future and long time future for the QB.   He usually tells you what he is thinking.   So I am thinking a stop gap and putting resources into next yrs draft.

I know it will * a bunch of people off but I think he needs to trade for future picks.    Build them up and use them to trade up for a QB next yr.  Yea Darius will have to twit another message that says 6 yrs but Oh Well 

Just now, sb41champs said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/carson-wentz-trade-commanders-acquire-colts-qb

We got a lot more in this deal than I was afraid we would get.  Time for the Colts to put together an aggressive package to acquire QB Derek Carr and work on a long-term contract for him.

Keeping my fingers crossed !!

Makes you wonder since they created all this cap space now that might be in the works.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t completely rule that out.  He knows Franks system and the Colts were high on him.  I don’t think it will happen but if they are looking at stop gap or a guy to start until a rookie is ready they could very well bring Jacoby back.

They were so high on Brissett that they let him walk to Miami for $7.5M.

They only said they were high on him when they were hoping to sucker somebody into trading him for a 1st.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hoping the Colts can get an early 2023 2nd from Washington to make up for the loss of the 1st this year. 

If Washington is that bad, Wentz won't play 70% of the snaps.  We want a scenario like the Colts pulled off this season - mediocrity, 70% of the snaps and a collapse at the end.  

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We do have some picks to offer now if we want to move into the first for a rookie. As long as we don’t turn around and waste them on Jimmy.

my opinion, but at least Jimmy is a starter in this league...  From what most "experts" are saying about this year's draft class, there may not be any long term starters... now if this were next year's draft, i'd be all for it.... but i think Jimmy is better than any QB in the draft, this year

14 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard: Hey Philip we want you to return

Rivers: My wife is pregnant 

Ballard: Happy Excuse Me GIF

Ballard: Hasn't stopped you from playing before... In fact... 1 kid per year... You say "my wife is pregnant", I hear "I need 1 more year in the league" :P 

Strictly speaking from a skill perspective the only QB worth trading for that would make us SB contenders is Watson. For more than one reason thats not happening. 

Thats why i dont think the Volts should trade for a QB. Pick up a guy like Mariota. Go spend some of that cap space and fill some holes. A proven pass rusher and a solid corner could take this defense to the next level. Im nit a cap guru but you could potentially go after help at WR or TE too. 2023 is when you swing for the fence at a franchsie qb. That rookie will walk in to a team that is ready to win. 

Lets see if the Carr thing happens. Id be okay with Garropolo, Mariota or Winston but Ballard did say no more band aids. Outside of Carr everything else is a band aid or carries a decent amount of risk so lets see if they get him and sign him to that long term deal.

Just now, krunk said:

Lets see if the Carr thing happens. Id be okay with Garropolo, Mariota or Winston but Ballard did say no more band aids. Outside of Carr everything else is a band aid or carries a decent amount of risk so lets see if they get him and sign him to that long term deal.

Rumor is Washington tried for Carr but the Raiders were not budging so they moved to Wentz... :dunno:

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

They have no plan. This is all about Irsay. I doubt we find a QB with a 4 to 1 TD to interception rate. We will be 3rd or last in the AFC South.

Yeah.  Chris Ballard really seems like the type to make moves with no plan whatsoever.....a real cowboy, that guy.

This could be really good or really bad.  The Colts picked up two draft choices and move up in the second and have the highest cap space in NFL.  If the Colts get Bridgewater, Trubisky, or Winston type guys, we are toast.  I would prefer trading for Minshew cheap or Nick Foles for a year.  And then sign some WRs, TE, and pass rusher.  Maybe draft a guy like Carson Strong in 2nd.

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

They also are taking his full salary, and  this is the best part.  That said, this is pretty poor  and a major CB blunder.  this next year is a punt ...

We give up a first round and 2nd round choice and get 2 - 3rd round choices a back and another year missing the playoffs... plus more salary cap space for CB to sit on....  great deal

47 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Our front office is full of clowns. All these Wentz haters are going to be hitting themselves next year. 

Yup I agree, if it’s not manning or luck colts fan don’t want them.. think any other qb will do any better with the weapons we have? No I don’t blame wentz for not having a better yea because our offense was trash trash pass blocking no LT no Wr help besides a #2 wr. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Rumor is Washington tried for Carr but the Raiders were not budging so they moved to Wentz... :dunno:

Why would Josh trade Carr, only to then leave himself with a QB problem to solve?  Makes no sense to trade Carr.

27 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think it would be a let down if they got rid of all of Wentz salaries and got a extra draft pick just to waste it on Jimmy. Your not really gaining anything. 

You might be right.  Please though, explain to me all of the reasons Jimmy is t the way to go.  Assuming he comes back healthy from surgery.  As I said, you are probably right, I just would love to hear you explain why, I have honestly never really watched him and don't know much about his game, definitely not enough to form an opinion....so I'm all ears when someone has a better informed opinion.

Just now, DougDew said:

Why would Josh trade Carr, only to then leave himself with a QB problem to solve?  Makes no sense to trade Carr.

Yeah, also... another rumor is - Patriots were trying to trade for Carr hard after losing Brady, so it might indeed be true that McDaniels is very high on Carr. 

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So you were pleased with Tolzein, Brissett , Phillips and Wentz? Giddee up cowboy!

Who cares what i'm "pleased" with?  

You said "they have no plan".

You are wrong.....they do have a plan.  You just don't know what it is.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

a 1st and a 3rd with getting 2 3rds back is not a bad price to test out a potential starting qb.   I'm not going to knock ballard down for this one.

I was feeling differently until I read your post and I like your perspective better than mine. I agree with you, great post!

Archived