Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts trade Wentz to Washington for 2 3d round picks

stitches

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If Ballard didn't want him,   why did he trade for him?

guess he put his trust in Reich and actually believed he could get wentz back to mvp form.  How many times have we done things off the whim because we trusted a friend or partner and it turns out we should’ve trusted our gut.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, smittywerb said:

guess he put his trust in Reich and actually believed he could get wentz back to mvp form.  How many times have we done things off the whim because we trusted a friend or partner and it turns out we should’ve trusted our gut.

Never when my job and reputation are on the line

I do NOT want to trade for a QB that can't go all the way. I dont think that Jimmy G looks much different than Carson on a team without Deabo, Kittle, Aiyuk, etc. 

F' it. Roll with Sam. Either you find out if you got a diamond in the rough or we'll have a high pick in '23.  

No more bandaids. I'm sick of it. 

To me it sounds like Jim was done with Wentz probably more than the other two (Frank and Chris) and said screw that get him out of here regardless of how, just do it.

I don't think it would be fair if Carson is labeled a cancer because of this though.

His hero ball and repeated simple mistakes is what got him gone.

Kudos to Ballard for cutting his losses, which is why this would be the 2nd worst trade in the last decade for the Colts behind the Trent Richardson trade with Grigson. 

So, do we give Ballard points for trying like Grigson did with OL and free agents or call a spade like it is?

So many thoughts about this.

1. It's now clear that the Eagles got the better end of the initial Wentz trade. No question about it. Crystal clear.

2. We traded for a QB that struggled in 2020 and helped him have a better 2021, and then got less for him in return. That is a losing trade in the grand scheme of things. I understand there is nuance involved, but taking a step back and looking at it, it looks bad.

3. Once again the Colts are amongst the teams with the highest cap space. How many of you have confidence that Ballard will spend it to acquire impactful FAs? We've seen how this has played out in the past. I understand that Irsay has lit a fire under him, supposedly, so let's see how it goes, but I think we sit on the money and continue to pay some of our own over time.

4. We now have holes at QB, WR, TE, OL, DE, CB, and S.

6 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Don’t waste your time. He knows it all and is never wrong

1 minute ago, NDSU_Guy said:

I really hope we don't get the chance to find out.  Jimmy is not a better QB than Wentz.

Jimmy G, with a run game will take the layups and is deadly in the short and intermediate game. That fits the Reich offense better than the hero ball Wentz played. So, in a nutshell, for Reich's offense, yes, he is a better QB than Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like Jimmy G trade will happen soon. But  where does he land. I don’t like his salary after dumping Wentz and giving up more draft picks.

Well my wife agrees.  He's a pretty man that's for sure 

Pascal with a “* is getting old” tweet.

Honestly that one irks me more than Leonard’s tweet. Like we gave the guy a much more sizable role than I think he would’ve gotten anywhere else. Was constantly praised by Ballard and Reich.

Bet he’s partly just jaded that we’re not making him a priority re-sign.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. It's now clear that the Eagles got the better end of the initial Wentz trade. No question about it. Crystal clear.

2. We traded for a QB that struggled in 2020 and helped him have a better 2021, and then got less for him in return. That is a losing trade in the grand scheme of things. I understand there is nuance involved, but taking a step back and looking at it, it looks bad.

3. Once again the Colts are amongst the teams with the highest cap space. How many of you have confidence that Ballard will spend it to acquire impactful FAs? We've seen how this has played out in the past. I understand that Irsay has lit a fire under him, supposedly, so let's see how it goes, but I think we sit on the money and continue to pay some of our own over time.

spilled milk

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Honestly that one irks me more than Leonard’s tweet. Like we gave the guy a much more sizable role than I think he would’ve gotten anywhere else. Was constantly praised by Ballard and Reich.

Pascal is not good, he can leave. 

1 minute ago, Derakynn said:

Not big on the Jimbo train. Don't really see it as an upgrade from Wentz (mediocre). Rather gamble it out on Ehlinger or a FA TBH. No reason to waste more picks on definitive mediocrity.

If the goal is to draft this year or next Jimmy doesn’t make sense. It makes more sense for Trubisky or Mariota.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well Zach won't be back.      Can't pull a Vendershank and expect to get resigned

8 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

I do NOT want to trade for a QB that can't go all the way. I dont think that Jimmy G looks much different than Carson on a team without Deabo, Kittle, Aiyuk, etc. 

F' it. Roll with Sam. Either you find out if you got a diamond in the rough or we'll have a high pick in '23.  

No more bandaids. I'm sick of it. 

I hope this is what we do.  At this point I’m praying.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

If we go for Jimmy G, we will be having the exact same discussions next year... :facepalm: If we are truly going for Jimmy G, Ballard will never learn and the Colts will continue being mediocre for the foreseeable future. 

Man, I hope it works out if we get him but I just imagine he’ll get hurt again. Especially if we’re dealing with a subpar LT situation again.

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We have a solid punter though!

1 minute ago, stitches said:

If we go for Jimmy G, we will be having the exact same discussions next year... :facepalm: If we are truly going for Jimmy G, Ballard will never learn and the Colts will continue being mediocre for the foreseeable future. 

Well.   He would have the ability to grab a QB in the 23 draft and then trade Jimmy afterwards. Just throwing things at the white board

tumblr_o6tl3pjmXk1vsgbk1o2_500.gifv

Besides not wanting him in general, I also don't like that Jimmy G had shoulder surgery on his throwing side.

Regardless of it's minor or not, that's scary to me if I'm dumping big resources into getting him.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I do think that his compensation isn’t doing to be as much with having that surgery. It sounds like their plan is a vet and draft. I am ok with that as long as thing aren’t giving up a high pick. He only has one year left so it’s a good situation if they draft this year.  But I don’t like his salary.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Jimmy G, with a run game will take the layups and is deadly in the short and intermediate game. That fits the Reich offense better than the hero ball Wentz played. So, in a nutshell, for Reich's offense, yes, he is a better QB than Wentz. 

Opinions vary.  Im not sure you watch much of Jimmy.  Fresh off shoulder surgery with already poor downfield accuracy.  Welcome to predictable losses.  Jimmy is dog water.

Archived