Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts trade Wentz to Washington for 2 3d round picks

stitches

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Classic!

You we’re freaking out that we might have to release him and get nothing plus eat $15 mill. 

None of that happened.  

We are getting TWO 3’s and the 2nd one becomes a 2 if Wentz takes 70 percent of the snaps.  Plus they are eating all the money!

AND YOU'RE STILL NOT HAPPY!?!?!?!?! 

You and stud muffin should get a room... and lock the other one out of it...:lol:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Tyrod isn't even the best available out of all the middle road QBs, he's really at the bottom if you ask me.  Minshew Mariota Tribusky Winston are all better.

Minshew's not a free agent.  We would have to make Philly even richer.

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Tyrod isn't even the best available out of all the middle road QBs, he's really at the bottom if you ask me.  Minshew Mariota Tribusky Winston are all better.

You're missing the whole anytime Tyrod has been picked up and a QB drafted at the same time that QB has gone on to do well. Herbert, Josh Allen and Mills isnt looking terrible.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It says they were hoping to convince another team needing a QB they liked him.  Actions speak louder than words - especially in this business.

And their action was that they coughed up draft picks to trade for a QB that had been benched, happy to let Brissett walk for a 1 year low-dollar contract…which he went on to prove was still more than he was worth.

If they valued him that high they liked him.  I would agree they didn’t see him as a long term answer which is why they brought in Rivers and then Wentz but they still liked him.  He left last year to try to find a spot where he could compete for a starting job.  That wasn’t going to happen here with Wentz and with the Colts limited cap space last year they weren’t going to invest that money in a backup.  If they didn’t like him they would have traded him for anything they could have gotten.  

Now the situation has changed.  Could I see the Colts turning to a guy they liked to be a bridge guy?  Yes.  Do I think it’s what they will do?  Probably not.  Is it what I want them to do?  No.  I am just saying it could be an option and while it’s probably the most likely one I wouldn’t just dismiss it.

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

You're missing the whole anytime Tyrod has been picked up and a QB drafted at the same time that QB has gone on to do well. Herbert, Josh Allen and Mills isnt looking terrible.

oh you mean as a tutor. my bad fish i misunderstood

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Classic!

You we’re freaking out that we might have to release him and get nothing plus eat $15 mill. 

None of that happened.  

We are getting TWO 3’s and the 2nd one becomes a 2 if Wentz takes 70 percent of the snaps.  Plus they are eating all the money!

AND YOU'RE STILL NOT HAPPY!?!?!?!?! 

Give it a minute 

Dang this is what came out of eagles too.

As for the Colts, the issues with Wentz stretched back to before the season began, one source said, and over the course of the year, some grew frustrated at what they deemed a lack of leadership, a resistance to hard coaching and a reckless style of play, which had a role in several close losses this 

25 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Donr replace Wentz salary with Jimmy and give up more picks. Then you didn’t gain anything in the trade.

This makes me sad.

I'm sorry I don't quite follow, are you saying we should or should not replace Wentz's salary with acquiring Jimmy G?

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Damn 

The quarterback, who learned he was on shaky ground with the organization over the last month, reached out to Irsay in hopes of setting up a meeting to “clear the air,” a source said. But Irsay declined the meeting.

Sounds like Irsay made up his mind about Wentz and may have given marching orders to  Ballard and Reich.

The front office was obviously out on Wentz, but this trade still leaves me with a 'meh' feeling.

After Wentz' horrible 2020 season we gave up a 3rd and a 1st and took on his contract.

Wentz' 2021 was much better and we get a 3rd and a 2nd (at best) and the Commanders take on his contract.

Who ever leaked this to Mort REALLY screwed us over...

Also, I get $70m is a lot of cap space, but we still have to re-sign/replace A LOT of free agents. People who think star players will be lined up and signed one after the other are really kidding themselves. We will sign Q to a big contract and we still need quality at LT, WR, TE, DE, CB and FS.

I hope we sign Mariota or Trubisky and maybe draft a QB if Ballard can get the one he likes without spending future draft capital.

30 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yup. And the wise thing for Ballard to do would be to let that happen. Jimmy G is no Matt Stafford, you don't overpay for that, you don't mortgage your future for that.

That source ( Colts Coverage) doesn't strike me as a reliable one.  Ian Rappaport saying Colts are in the mix for him.  

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wow. This Keefer article is eye opening.

The Colts will certainly look to upgrade, via free agency or the draft, limited as their options might be. But, according to one source, don’t rule out Ehlinger getting a chance at the starting job.

YES HOOK EM

SB MVP BABY WOOHOO 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yes because if you rid yourself of Wentz salary and just replace it and give up more picks you didn’t gain anything. We 

Ah gotcha. Yup I agree. 

There's a sentiment that Chris Ballard is miserly and won't spend in FA and i don't agree with it. He is chintzy with his money, yes....but he'll also gladly overpay for top quality. Is Jimmy G top quality? He's better than Carson but he's not the kind you overpay for especially at that position. And with the market Jimmy G will have, the Colts will not offer what others (who don't care about efficiency) will. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yup, totally nailed it. The tea leaves were easy to read on this, and i think it's 100% the right decision.

Agree. Once Rodgers went back to GB and Wilson to DEN, I had a feeling it would happen very soon.

And just as I thought, they were able to offload his entire cap hit, which means there will still be substantial cap savings no matter which vet FA QB they sign. 

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That source ( Colts Coverage) doesn't strike me as a reliable one.  Ian Rappaport saying Colts are in the mix for him.  

In the mix = they will make an offer.

We were in the mix for Stafford. The price is what will drive this and Ballard won't overpay unless Jim Irsay has fallen in love with that QB which could be but Jimmy knows what great QB'ing is, and Garappolo is good not great so read that as you may. I doubt they get him.

Archived