Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offense: Re-sign OR Let Walk, and Team Needs (Poll and Chat)

EastStreet

Re-sign/Let Walk, Team Needs  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Offense UFAs: Choose Re-Sign or Let Walk for each UFA (listed in 2021 salary order)

• LT Fisher (UFA, 8.4M in 2021) - Re-sign
    • LT Fisher (UFA, 8.4M in 2021) - Let Walk
    • WR Hilton (UFA, 8.0M) - Re-sign
    • WR Hilton (UFA, 8.0M) - Let Walk
    • RG Glowinski (UFA, 5.4M) - Re-sign
    • RG Glowinski (UFA, 5.4M) - Let Walk
    • TE Alie-Cox (UFA, 3.3M) - Resign
    • TE Alie-Cox (UFA, 3.3M) - Let Walk
    • WR Pascal (UFA, 3.3M) - Re-sign
    • WR Pascal (UFA, 3.3M) - Let Walk
    • OT Tevi (UFA, 2.5M) - Re-sign
    • OT Tevi (UFA, 2.5M) - Let Walk
    • RB Mack (UFA, 2.0M) - Re-sign
    • RB Mack (UFA, 2.0M) - Let Walk
    • OT Davenport (UFA, 1.1M) - Re-sign
    • OT Davenport (UFA, 1.1M) - Let Walk
    • OG Reed (UFA, 1.1M) - Re-sign
    • OG Reed (UFA, 1.1M) - Let Walk
    • OT Pryor (UFA, 0.6M) - Re-sign
    • OT Pryor (UFA, 0.6M) - Let Walk
  2. 2. #1 Need On Offense (purposefully leaving QB out lol)

3. 3. #2 Need On Offense (purposefully leaving QB out lol)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/2022 at 09:49 AM

Lot's of chatter in a million different threads over who to keep, who to let walk, and what are needs are... 

Wanted to get a better sense of what folks are thinking.

Question #1: Pick either "Resign" or "Let Walk" for each offensive UFA

Note - if you want to resign or let walk based on conditions, please post for discussion.

Example - I'd resign TY, but only for 4-5M..... 

Question #2: Pick the #1 offensive team need

Question #3: Pick the #2 offensive team need

I will do one for the defense tomorrow, or may knock it out quickly tonight. 

NOTE: I purposefully left QB out of mix (team needs), as I don't wish this to be a QB centric thread. Not saying you can't mention QB as it relates to, for example, the need to improve LT or WR (so we get better QB play).... but please no discussion on QB as being a position of need itself. I will ask the mods to clean up if the thread starts down the QB rabbit hole. If you want to have a QB centric team need thread or poll.... feel free to create one yourself... There's been plenty already lol... 

My breakout.

I'm at 5 and 5.... 

• Re-sign
    • Hilton - with a max 4, maybe 5M price tag. 
    • Pascal - try to keep him as a depth WR if he'll stay for 3M. Not as a starter.
    • Glow - 5 or 6M max. He had arguably a career year, and was much better than Reed down the stretch
    • Alie-Cox - He needs a bigger role, and needs to get more use on levels 2 and 3. Won't matter what TE we bring in if only allow them to run the same old possession routes over and over again.
    • Pryor - was super cheap. Likely will still be cheap, but no super cheap. Give him a shot at LT, or keep him as a swing T. Heck, he graded very well at RT, LT, and G.... 
  • Let Walk
    • Fisher - just can't have a blind side on skates
    • Tevi - was bad
    • Mack - needs a fresh start
    • Davenport - was bad
    • Reed - I prefer Glow, but I'd keep Reed if cheap, or if Glow goes somewhere else.

PS - Dulin is a FA, but he'll be brought back easy (he's restricted)

• Re-sign

Reed - It's either him or Glow and I think Reed played better

Alie-Cox - Our TE room is awful, letting him go makes no sense, he needs to be schemed better

Pryor - He's an excellent backup and did well when he started

Fisher - Another year off injury and I don't see how they're going to do much better without opening the bank or drafting high

• Let Walk

Tevi - Terrible

Davenport - Terrible
Hilton - Unless he's coming back for cheap, you can't give him $7m+ for low production

Glow - I can't justify paying a backup guard 5-6 million

Mack - as good as gone anyways

Pascal - he's nothing more than a WR4

I voted walk to everyone except Glowinski, Reed, Pryor, Mo Alli Cox. With the exception of maybe re-signing Hilton and/or Pascal to very and I mean very team friendly deals.

Only because our WR group is so thin, and I don't believe Colts are a hot destination for prized free agent receivers. Ballard will have to overpay, which I don't think is in his dna lol. Hoping he can hit in the draft on a WR. I voted LT #1 need, WR #2. There is another position I think is above both of those as a need that I won't mention in this thread though lol. 

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:
  • Re-sign

Reed - It's either him or Glow and I think Reed played better

Alie-Cox - Our TE room is awful, letting him go makes no sense, he needs to be schemed better

Pryor - He's an excellent backup and did well when he started

Fisher - Another year off injury and I don't see how they're going to do much better without opening the bank or drafting high

• Let Walk

Tevi - Terrible

Davenport - Terrible
Hilton - Unless he's coming back for cheap, you can't give him $7m+ for low production

Glow - I can't justify paying a backup guard 5-6 million

Mack - as good as gone anyways

Pascal - he's nothing more than a WR4

TE - Agree on Mo, but I think use/scheme is worse than the TE room talent. Not saying we have elite TE talent, just that they'd be better if used differently....  Feels like Reich only wants to allow HB/TE hybrids like Burton and Granson in the seam and in crossers. Not a lot of L2 or 3 routes as early reads either. 

G - Reed was actually given a chance to start over Glow. They gave him reps at RG and he even started over Glow mid season, but just wasn't as good Glow. I think the competition lit a fire under Glow, who arguably had a career best year. Would love to keep both. But if I have to choose at or near the same price, I'll take Glow every time.

Also, to the bolded above.... Glow didn't play like a "backup"... He graded out in the 70s, and was the 21st best graded guard in the NFL. Being there's 32 teams that have 2 starting Gs each, being 21st out of 64 means he's top 3rd... That's good, not backup. 

T - Pryor graded out better, and looked easily better when he replaced Fisher late in the season at LT. Fisher has never really been consistently good in pass pro, and we need consistent. Ballard's comments on LT in his end of year presser makes me think even more that we'll move on from Fisher. My hope is we draft an early LT, and resign Pryor to compete for the spot. I'd bet a decent amount Fisher wants more than 8M this year, and frankly I don't think he's worth more, or even that (8) given his age and pass pro.

19 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I voted walk to everyone except Glowinski, Reed, Pryor, Mo Alli Cox. With the exception of maybe re-signing Hilton and/or Pascal to very and I mean very team friendly deals.

Only because our WR group is so thin, and I don't believe Colts are a hot destination for prized free agent receivers. Ballard will have to overpay, which I don't think is in his dna lol. Hoping he can hit in the draft on a WR. I voted LT #1 need, WR #2. There is another position I think is above both of those as a need that I won't mention in this thread though lol. 

I really like the WR draft class. Seemed very deep at Z/Slot types, so high quality should still be there in rounds 2 and 3. 

I definitely want to use one of our first 2 picks on a WR.

I also think we have more talent than we think. IMO, Dulin should have got slot reps and routes (slants, crossers, etc) instead of clear outs, rubs, and possession stuff. I think one of Patmon and Strachan will be solid, but just need PT for growth. I think TY was used very poorly. 

What I'd hate most though, is if we draft a Z/slot type guy with speed, and then we limit him to flat and shallow sideline passes like we did with TY.

I also think between Campbell, Coutee, Dulin, and TY, one of those guys can be productive if given complimentary routes. 

I’m dumping Fisher conditionally. I need to know we can at least make a lateral move at the position, taking a step back isn’t going to cut it for me. That said, however, I’m not willing to offer him much over what we paid last year. 

Unless TY is willing to stay here for about half of what he made last year (he isn’t) there’s just no upside in it for us. That horse has left the barn. I think he hangs it up anyways. 

I’d try to keep Glow, but the numbers do need to be reasonable. 

Mo is worth bringing back. We just need Frank to figure out what to do with him. 

I’m out on Pascal. I know part of his problem this season wasn’t all on him, but trying to shoehorn him as a staple of the offense is negligible at best at this point. 

Tevi… lol moving on. 

Mack has been gone for several months now. Dude spent a whole year on the shelf behind “break in case of emergency” glass. 

Let Davenport go. JAG. 

Definitely try to keep Pryor and Reed. They’re solid depth at worst, and they should be quite cap-friendly to keep around. 

I feel like our biggest need is LT. Fisher was rotten more often than not over there last year. We don’t need an elite guy over there, we just need one who can hold their own more often than not. 

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Also, to the bolded above.... Glow didn't play like a "backup"... He graded out in the 70s, and was the 21st best graded guard in the NFL. Being there's 32 teams that have 2 starting Gs each, being 21st out of 64 means he's top 3rd... That's good, not backup. 

Oh I agree, he's a starter for sure

Picking Reed over him and having him start at RG is why I said I wouldn't want to pay Glow to be a backup

Just now, tvturner said:

Oh I agree, he's a starter for sure

Picking Reed over him and having him start at RG is why I said I wouldn't want to pay Glow to be a backup

Reed would have to be significantly cheaper than Glow for me to pick Reed. 

Reed won't be near as cheap as he was last season, now that he graded decent.

It'll be interesting. If Reed were younger (he's 30), I might take the chance.

Fisher.... definitely gotta shop around and bring back only if it's a Wentz type situation (best we can do for now).

How did the Villanueva guy (former Pittsburgh) end up doing this season?? Just curious as he was an option last year but some thought getting old, slipping.

Hilton- he's definitely been poorly used in this offense. If Frank stays OC then let walk.

Glow, keep.

Mo should be our 2022 Marcus Pollard.

Pascal in a perfect world isn't a starter.

Tevi... That's you being funny 

Poor Mack. I liked him.

Davenport.. You being funny again

Reed hopefully comes back.

Pryor balled out honestly, he was a nice addition.

It's hard to know, when we don't know what they would want to stay and what the alternatives are... For example Fisher might be the best we can do, if others don't want to come to the Colts... Or what type of salary TY would want? If he's OK with a paycut I wouldn't mind keeping him around... So I just assumed best case scenario for what I want - we actually are able to convince better OT to come and TY wants to come back on smaller deal.

On the biggest needs - I think TE is out biggest need and position where we have least talent going forward. Yes we need WR, yes we need LT, but we do have bodies and options we can throw in there. We don't really have TE especially if Doyle retires. Granson didn't impress, MAC has been stuck in mud for years and IMO it's time for us to give up on the hopes that a jump is coming... He is what he is... a solid TE, who ideally is part of the rotation rather than main piece. We need passcatching TE real badly IMO.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My breakout.

I'm at 5 and 5.... 

• Re-sign
    • Pascal - try to keep him as a depth WR if he'll stay for 3M. Not as a starter.
    • Glow - 5 or 6M max. He had arguably a career year, and was much better than Reed down the stretch
    • Alie-Cox - He needs a bigger role, and needs to get more use on levels 2 and 3. Won't matter what TE we bring in if only allow them to run the same old possession routes over and over again.
    • Pryor - was super cheap. Likely will still be cheap, but no super cheap. Give him a shot at LT, or keep him as a swing T. Heck, he graded very well at RT, LT, and G.... 
  • Let Walk
    • Tevi - was bad
    • Davenport - was bad
    • Reed - I prefer Glow, but I'd keep Reed if cheap, or if Glow goes somewhere else.

Sorry I replied, don’t know how to undo that. 

Resign:

Pryor and Fisher- Let them battle it out for who will start and the other can be the swing tackle. 

Reed - If Glow wants a raise, and he honestly should, you sign Reed to a cheaper contract and he and Pinter can battle it out for the RG spot.  We have got to take advantage of a good bench player on a rookie contract. 

Rhodes - I think we need depth at CB.  Will he be ok with staying at a slight discount and competing for a starting spot?  He battled injuries this year but if it appears he can get back to staying on the field I say resign him. No idea his injury history so this is a shot in the dark.  

Bubble:

MAC - I think he is a solid player.  He doesn’t wow much but he doesn’t ever stink it up.  I know there is an argument stats call for him to be used differently.  Guess Ballard needs to make a decision if that will happen.  I think another team will offer him a large contract and it’s too much for how he is used here. A lot probably depends on what happens with Doyle. 

Hilton- How long does he want to play?  He isn’t worth 8-10mil but if he will take that down to 3.5-4ish, I say get him on the roster.  My issue is he takes snaps from young players that need playing time to finish their development. I know he is misused a lot but I don’t think he has much left. Not sure why he hasn’t been moved to the slot to try and extend his career.  Veterans can typically work the middle of the field better and find the gaps in the defense. 

Pascal - I have no clue here. He seems to stay on the field but doesn’t make plays. I say he and the Colts should look around the league and see if there is a better option.  If not maybe both sides agree to keep it going. 

Sooner or later you gotta turn it over to players on rookie contracts. We saw it at DE, LB and backup QB last year. What position groups this year? I guess a lot is riding on if Dulin, Campbell, Patmon or Strachan will take the next step. We need two of them to make the jump to starter or prominent role player. 

Which is easier? Get a college prospect highly rated in pass protection to improve his run blocking, or a college prospect highly rated in run blocking to improve his pass protection.

If it is the first one, I would take a chance on Zion Nelson of Miami in Round 2 and build on his run blocking. Colts should be doing their due diligence on all left tackle prospects in the Senior Bowl, IMO.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My breakout.

I'm at 5 and 5.... 

• Re-sign
  • Let Walk
    • Tevi - was bad
    • Davenport - was bad

Definitely wouldn't waste another roster spot on TY. We have 2 young guys that need playing time, Campbell, and either a FA or draft pick will be added.
 Glow played fairly well most of the time but is very replaceable, cheaper. 
 Fisher is below par and definitely shouldn't be back.
 Mo-Allie will never be a seam running TE, he just isn't quick enough. He should be replaced. A good FA TE should be added, but i do not believe a good one would come here because of Wentz. It would take a lot of $$$.
The same with a good WR.
 Pascal has proven that he is a solid player, but he would be making a mistake being stuck with Wentz as his QB. Somebody will want him.

Pryor and Reed will be offered a deal here.

Re-sign:

• Glow - Reed could probably replace him, but I'd rather keep Reed as a back-up (even if he will be an expensive back-up), because of Nelsons lingering back issues.
  • Cox - I'm not entirely sold on him. Think he has missed a few catches in key situations, but he's a competent blocker and he hasn't been used enough in the passing game.
  • Pascal - An experienced 4th or 5th WR who knows our system.
  • Reed - Need him for when Nelson gets injured (yes, WHEN).
  • Pryor - I'd like to give him a shot at the LT position, but I still recognize the need for an experienced LT (that's not Fisher, Tevi or Davenport).

Let walk:

• Fisher - The mans been good for all of one season in pass protection. Why do people expect him to be good or better AFTER an achilles injury? Ballard's biggest miss as a our GM.
  • Hilton - He's just too expensive for what he does. I know Reich hasn't used him right in the offense, but I just feel like he's done.
  • Tevi - Just no.
  • Mack - If he can still play give him a chance elsewhere. Paying him just to sit him is a waste of money.
  • Davenport - Just no.

LT - Biggest need of the off season, but we will probably re-sign Fisher for too much money.

TE - With Doyle possibly retiring and us needing another offensive weapon, I feel like we can kill two birds with one stone here - get a good replacement for Doyle's blocking and get a new playmaker.

Thanks for the thread......AND keeping QB talk out of it.

I chose to not resign everybody except Fisher, Pryor, Glow, and Reed.  Not that some of the other guys are not decent players (MAC and TY), but upgrading at their positions will mean that there is not really a spot for them.

LT:   (1st need) We need a long term answer at LT.   There is no reason to think that either Pryor or a draft pick will be that answer.  I'm all for allowing Prior and Fisher to compete to see who is the most stable option for this season....but drafting a young LT is a priority, IMO.   (This could be a totally different strategy than what Ballard might have depending upon how they view Fisher and Pryor.....they may think that one of them can be the answer, so they don't draft a LT)

Z:  (2nd need) Even if TY has something in the tank, we need an upgrade.  In Frank's offense, the Z seem to be more of a part-time player than the X, and I think that Ballard drafted Pitt at 37 for that reason, and will draft a Z lower than 37 for the same reason (not as talented as the X...more of a role player).  I'm not opposed to signing TY for one year as insurance against not finding the Z....but we will know during the FA period or the draft if we need to sign TY (over the summer) to play Z one more year.  I think we find the new Z before the summer.  (and Ballard/Frank might think that its PC).  I think we need two WRs, one to start at Z, and another WR to replace Pascal and as insurance against PC not performing.

TE:  (3rd need) Granson was drafted to get the downfield TE snaps, but we still need an all around TE....chain mover and blocker....that Doyle used to fill (is he retiring?).  I think we sign Ertz as an immediate TE, but he is also older.  Ballard should draft a younger guy to finally take over the Doyle role.  Its a good draft for these TEs so he should be able to get good talent at lower rounds in this draft than if he waited until next year.  I don't think that MAC is vital.  He should be an over the summer signing as a stop gap like TY if the Colts don't find the future Doyle in the draft. 

I think its a pretty good TE draft, so we pick 2 to upgrade over Doyle AND MAC when we have the opportunity, and sign Ertz to play immediately.

G:  Sign Glow and Reed for obvious reasons.  They are good players and hopefully should not be real expensive...but two of them at market prices might be too much for our cap to handle.  Signing one is a priority, both not so much unless there are thoughts of moving Nelson, which I doubt there is.

Before the draft:

Fisher:  Yes, need insurance

Pryor:  Yes, as a backup swing tackle

Reed:  Yes

Glow: Yes

After the draft, if needed as stop gaps:

TY:

MAC: (might be signed by another team......comp pick....yippie!)

Pascal:  Frankly, his hands are not reliable and that simply can't be the case with any WR on the roster. Elevate Pat or Strauchan, or both...higher ceilings.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Which is easier? Get a college prospect highly rated in pass protection to improve his run blocking, or a college prospect highly rated in run blocking to improve his pass protection.

If it is the first one, I would take a chance on Zion Nelson of Miami in Round 2 and build on his run blocking. Colts should be doing their due diligence on all left tackle prospects in the Senior Bowl, IMO.

There are better LT prospects in this draft than last, IMO.  Many more tall and long players who can project to LT.  Last year, there were a lot of good college LTs that were actually NFL G/Ts and RTs.

I think the LTs this draft are not quite as developed as they were last draft, which is why I voted to resign Fisher for one year....if we can.

WR

I am operating under the assumption that TY was going to retire, along with Doyle. And I am guessing they let Pascal walk as well.

That leaves two WR spots to fill. I think Strachan will get a shot at replacing Pascal. And they will look to FA or the draft to replace TY. Would love to get a slot WR as well, but Reich likes to utilize different pass catchers there, so that probably won't happen. 

TE

This is a huge need. If they bring back MAC, that will make it a bit easier. But I think they will look to bring in at least 1 FA TE from what is a pretty deep FA group. I don't really see Ertz as that guy though. Need to try to get a big younger and find someone that could give you 2-3 years. 

G

Bringing back Reed seems like a good move at G. It's also a pretty deep FA group at G this year. Just sayin...

OT

Pryor also seems like a good bet to be back. Not sure what they can do at LT. Could see Fisher come back at a reduced rate for a couple of seasons to bridge to draft pick they try to develop by then. The FA market is basically Armstead (whom the Colts can't afford) and some older stop gaps. 

32 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That leaves two WR spots to fill. I think Strachan will get a shot at replacing Pascal. And they will look to FA or the draft to replace TY. Would love to get a slot WR as well, but Reich likes to utilize different pass catchers there, so that probably won't happen. 

There is also the issue if PC can be relied upon.  No TY, an upgrade from Pascal, and PC possibly needing replaced leaves potentially 3 out of 5 roster spots needing new players.  That's Strauchan and two more spots.

32 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

TE

This is a huge need. If they bring back MAC, that will make it a bit easier. But I think they will look to bring in at least 1 FA TE from what is a pretty deep FA group. I don't really see Ertz as that guy though. Need to try to get a big younger and find someone that could give you 2-3 years. 

In reading some of the TE write-ups, it was correctly said that a receiver gets open in the NFL by making crisp cuts at the top of his route without having to slow down first, not necessarily by having foot speed. 

I don't know if MAC does that well.  He might be getting open because he's schemed open, which is why he isn't targeted that much.  If its a deep TE class, that may be a good time to double up on quality in, say, the 3rd and 5th round, and sign Ertz as a stop gap by using some of the money you'd spend on MAC.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is also the issue if PC can be relied upon.  No TY, an upgrade from Pascal, and PC possibly needing replaced leaves potentially 3 out of 5 roster spots needing new players.  That's Strauchan and two more spots.

In reading some of the TE write-ups, it was correctly said that a receiver gets open in the NFL by making crisp cuts at the top of his route without having to slow down first, not necessarily by having foot speed. 

I don't know if MAC does that well.  He might be getting open because he's schemed open, which is why he isn't targeted that much.  If its a deep TE class, that may be a good time to double up on quality in, say, the 3rd and 5th round, and sign Ertz as a stop gap by using some of the money you'd spend on MAC.

The problem with letting MAC walk is that he is the best blocking TE they have (assuming Doyle retires). It's difficult to trust just any FA TE to come in and block at the level they want for this offense. Maybe Reich knows Ertz can do that, but I think MAC will be back as the TE2, with Granson still developing another year.

But perhaps they would go big with a guy like Schultz.

I did this based on who I’d like to see kept I don’t know if the math works that they can keep all these guys:

Glow, Reed, Pryor, and, Mo.

I said Mo because I expect Doyle to retire and I don’t think you want to be replacing your top two tight ends with no proven depth on the roster.

I am on the fence with Pascal I said let him walk but if they bring him back at a decent number and reduced role in the offense I wouldn’t mind,  

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Lot's of chatter in a million different threads over who to keep, who to let walk, and what are needs are... 

Wanted to get a better sense of what folks are thinking.

Question #1: Pick either "Resign" or "Let Walk" for each offensive UFA

Note - if you want to resign or let walk based on conditions, please post for discussion.

Example - I'd resign TY, but only for 4-5M..... 

Question #2: Pick the #1 offensive team need

Question #3: Pick the #2 offensive team need

I will do one for the defense tomorrow, or may knock it out quickly tonight. 

NOTE: I purposefully left QB out of mix (team needs), as I don't wish this to be a QB centric thread. Not saying you can't mention QB as it relates to, for example, the need to improve LT or WR (so we get better QB play).... but please no discussion on QB as being a position of need itself. I will ask the mods to clean up if the thread starts down the QB rabbit hole. If you want to have a QB centric team need thread or poll.... feel free to create one yourself... There's been plenty already lol... 

we heckin need a TE or Carson wont ever get better 

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

The problem with letting MAC walk is that he is the best blocking TE they have (assuming Doyle retires). It's difficult to trust just any FA TE to come in and block at the level they want for this offense. Maybe Reich knows Ertz can do that, but I think MAC will be back as the TE2, with Granson still developing another year.

But perhaps they would go big with a guy like Schultz.

That's fine.  He is a good blocker.  I would not make it a priority since good blockers can be found.  He's a good receiving option when your team doesn't have many receiving options.  Once that problem is cured, MAC doesn't move the needle as far as a priority, IMO.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

The eye test for me is how quickly a TE catches the ball, turns and tucks it, and lays out a plan to move. When I see Mac do this, he looks like he is in slow mo. I love him btw, but he is definitely not quick twitch. 

Bringing back Pryor would be #1 on my list. He was excellent at RT.  He was decent at LT and filled in at G one game. He’s an excellent insurance piece.  Reed would be #2. 

Some of these players aren’t really walk or sign choices. They’re let them test the market and see what their value is first. I would say most of them fall into that category. Guys like Tevi, Davenport, Mack are obvious choices to walk. The rest mostly fall into test the market. 

MAC is a decent #2 TE but there’s quite a few good TE’s on the market and in the draft. 

The WR room needs an upgrade and there’s a good group in the draft and some upgrades on the FA market. I would consider TY in the $3-4 million range but most likely moving on. 

There’s some good LT options in the draft and Im in favor of signing Armstead. That’s why Prior is my priority.  He’s my fallback to give me depth for injury and to look at other options. The Colts can see what Fisher’s value is as well as the rest of the market. I voted move on from Fisher but I can see a reason for him to come back. 

Glow falls into that camp for me too.  I’m certainly not giving a raise or much in length for a contract. 

Keep Reed and Pryor. Fisher at the right price, which is less than he got in 2021.

Everyone else can go. If TY wants to come back on a really modest deal, I'm open to it, but we still need a new, capable WR. And we need new TEs. Glow can stay on a really modest deal, but we need to bring in new talent on the OL also. 

I was a big fan of the Chris Reed signing since Day 1 and always believed he came here to take Glow spot once Glow left for a bigger contract. Reed had a breakout year with Carolina and didnt get any big offers so dont think this season moves his needle. Now Reed played better at LG then RG and is more comfortable there but with Q obviously barring injury right will be his side. Let Fisher walk and resign Pryor at a low number (He wont garner too much interest and have to believe he appreciates the trade that got him here). Trade kelly even for a 4 or 5 and start Pinter...you now only have two right paid OL in Smith and Q and can use money save on a top DE edge rusher, WR and Free Safety....draft to fortify the O line depth back up.....

I definitely think we need a outside wr and a vertical TE. 

I think it's ok to bring Pascal back(modest deal) because no way I'm bringing TY back and can't depend on Campbell being healthy. So I would add another wr besides my top talent one.

I'd bring Mack back because I still think he's a #1 type of runner and probably be a lot better than anyone else brought in for rb2....and I doubt he'll cost much.

I really don't know about Fischer but Ballard needs to get the LT position right regardless of cost/resources.

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for the thread......AND keeping QB talk out of it.

you are welcome

I chose to not resign everybody except Fisher, Pryor, Glow, and Reed.  Not that some of the other guys are not decent players (MAC and TY), but upgrading at their positions will mean that there is not really a spot for them.

LT:   (1st need) We need a long term answer at LT.   There is no reason to think that either Pryor or a draft pick will be that answer.  I'm all for allowing Prior and Fisher to compete to see who is the most stable option for this season....but drafting a young LT is a priority, IMO.   (This could be a totally different strategy than what Ballard might have depending upon how they view Fisher and Pryor.....they may think that one of them can be the answer, so they don't draft a LT)

To the bolded. There actually is reason. Not saying Pryor is elite, but there's certainly adequate reason to believe he's a better option that Fisher, who you chose to resign. #1, when Pryor replaced Fisher late season, we had noticeably better pass pro there. It wasn't even close. And Pryor graded well all year, regardless of where he played (LT, RT, G). #2, the tape on Fisher this year in pass pro was plain bad. And it's been below average most of his career. He had one year I'd call good, but even then still had tape showing him get abused by several bull and outside speed rushes. 

Overall, Fisher will want 10+M and multiple years. IIRC, PFF valuated him at 3 years, and 15+M per.... I'm just not paying that for what we saw this year, and not paying it for what we say every year except 2020. He's just not that good. I'll keep Pryor, and draft a rook to battle it out. Perhaps sign a short term vet FA at a moderate price. Just no way I'm locking Fisher into multiple years at 15 or more... 

Z:  (2nd need) Even if TY has something in the tank, we need an upgrade.  In Frank's offense, the Z seem to be more of a part-time player than the X, and I think that Ballard drafted Pitt at 37 for that reason, and will draft a Z lower than 37 for the same reason (not as talented as the X...more of a role player).  I'm not opposed to signing TY for one year as insurance against not finding the Z....but we will know during the FA period or the draft if we need to sign TY (over the summer) to play Z one more year.  I think we find the new Z before the summer.  (and Ballard/Frank might think that its PC).  I think we need two WRs, one to start at Z, and another WR to replace Pascal and as insurance against PC not performing.

Both Z and slot usage (and routes) have been "whack" for the last 3 years. 

So many options... good and deep draft class at Z/slot. FAs. Guys already on the roster and PS.

I could see a bunch of scenarios playing out. 

TE:  (3rd need) Granson was drafted to get the downfield TE snaps, but we still need an all around TE....chain mover and blocker....that Doyle used to fill (is he retiring?).  I think we sign Ertz as an immediate TE, but he is also older.  Ballard should draft a younger guy to finally take over the Doyle role.  Its a good draft for these TEs so he should be able to get good talent at lower rounds in this draft than if he waited until next year.  I don't think that MAC is vital.  He should be an over the summer signing as a stop gap like TY if the Colts don't find the future Doyle in the draft. 

I disagree. Granson was a downfield guy in college, but he got Trey Burton routes this year, which were not down field. 

I don't have high hopes Granson. Doesn't really have the speed or size to excel deep either. 

Like Z and Slot, TE usage (and routes) have been whack...

I think its a pretty good TE draft, so we pick 2 to upgrade over Doyle AND MAC when we have the opportunity, and sign Ertz to play immediately.

I'm very comfortable saying this won't happen lol..

G:  Sign Glow and Reed for obvious reasons.  They are good players and hopefully should not be real expensive...but two of them at market prices might be too much for our cap to handle.  Signing one is a priority, both not so much unless there are thoughts of moving Nelson, which I doubt there is.

Before the draft:

Fisher:  Yes, need insurance

Pryor:  Yes, as a backup swing tackle

Reed:  Yes

Glow: Yes

After the draft, if needed as stop gaps:

TY:

MAC: (might be signed by another team......comp pick....yippie!)

Pascal:  Frankly, his hands are not reliable and that simply can't be the case with any WR on the roster. Elevate Pat or Strauchan, or both...higher ceilings.  

Reed was much better on the L, than R. Not sure it's something he can improve at age 30ish.

Would love to keep both Glow and Reed, but I'm just not comfortable with Reed counted on to be the long term replacement at RG. Our success rate (over average) at runs over RG (64%) this year was easily our best success rate on the OL.... 

Archived