Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is 38. Things can change at any time. What if year one doesn’t go as planned. What If he hates it here. He is a little bit of a diva. You never know with him. I could be talked into Wilson because he has a little more time here. If we sign Rodgers what’s the plan as a successor? We just going to wing it again when he rehires. Probably because of the draft picks Wr have to give up. This team has so many holes it also hurts is not having these picks to improve the team. Why not be patient and build around Wentz until the right guy comes along in the draft.

He wants that 2nd ring, who wouldn't? 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

This organization isn't lacking toughness, including Wentz.

Our challenges are intellectual.

The Weight is squarely on Frank and his ability to get more out of Wentz's decision making. And can Frank succeed with Eberfluss's passive D?

And Ballard. Lewis, Turay, Banogu, Campbell.  NO Production. 

The $8M, that i believe Irsay himself spent bringing back TY, might have helped to bring the player we needed to make the playoffs. 

You seem to have it figured out already. Good for you. 

Meanwhile, I think the decision makers are completing an exhaustive review of the situation to figure out what they have, and what they need. 

And here's what Reich said about "toughness" when he was hired:

Here's just a working definition that we can work with; that we together can work with, that toughness is this: it's a relentless drive to get better every day. And it's an obsession to finish. ... I'm looking for tough players, I'm looking for tough coaches; I just want to see who's trying to get better every day. ... There is no room for complacency — there is no room for coasting. We know that can't happen in this business. And so that's what we're going to be about.

By that definition, this team absolutely lacks toughness, because they had an opportunity to finish, and blew it. And that's not just Wentz, but he certainly was right in the middle of the meltdown.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You seem to have it figured out already. Good for you. 

Meanwhile, I think the decision makers are completing an exhaustive review of the situation to figure out what they have, and what they need. 

And here's what Reich said about "toughness" when he was hired:

By that definition, this team absolutely lacks toughness, because they had an opportunity to finish, and blew it. And that's not just Wentz, but he certainly was right in the middle of the meltdown.

Lombardi quality comments right there.  Agreed

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is becoming a big turnoff. He needs to stop trashing Carson. It’s not a good look.

Hes angry. And has every right to be. When you pay someone 20+ million a 1st and 3rd rounder and you play like you are worth 1 million, You should expect the owner to say something. You dont keep fans in the stadium playing like that. 

I was hoping Carsons issues were all Philly driven. But I think he is whatvhe has always been. And if he gets another shot and turns it around next year then I will eat crow. But. As of right now something has to be said or done. Its absolutely ridiculous.

I wrote about this in another thread.  The last two games will not be easily forgotten.  Wentz is gone and you know what, Reich might not be far behind him.  You absolutely don't double down after such a epic collapse unless your name Andrew luck even then you should be concerned. QB IS the most important position on the team. If you had or have doubts on if your QB is all in, then don't let the door hit you in the * on your way out.  This is Jim, and to be honest it should be most of us. How many pro bowlers did we have this year. I will help you Seven.  Ballard may have said early on that we were still a year or two out from really competing but don't tell Jim that. Yes maybe he lets his fandom get involved a little to much but as he gets older I see him being even more demanding of his gm and not putting up with B.s. Patience is not going get it done here and I absolutely agree with it. We had a team who by all measures was not going to 6 games this year.  Then we suddenly become one of the most feared teams in the league.  How does that happen ? Well it does and that's why you should expect to have success every year.  Sorry rant over but irsays tweet seems to have solidified everything I have been saying.

34 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Loud Words !!!!!  Loud Words !!!!  Such a strange statement. 

Rodgers lead offense this season 26.5 PPG

Wilson lead offense this season 23.2 PPG

Jimmy G lead offense this season 25.1 PPG

Carr lead offense this season 22.0 PPG

Wentz lead offense this season 26.5 PPG 

Only 2 teams in the NFL averaged over 30 PPG that was teh Cowboys and the Bucs both at home for championship weekend. 

Rams scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Bengals scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Colts scored 451 PTS and 26.5 PPG  

Um Taylor??? He had almost as many touchdowns as Wentz had. Those numbers are highly inflated because of him. 

38 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Loud Words !!!!!  Loud Words !!!!  Such a strange statement. 

Rodgers lead offense this season 26.5 PPG

Wilson lead offense this season 23.2 PPG

Jimmy G lead offense this season 25.1 PPG

Carr lead offense this season 22.0 PPG

Wentz lead offense this season 26.5 PPG 

Only 2 teams in the NFL averaged over 30 PPG that was teh Cowboys and the Bucs both at home for championship weekend. 

Rams scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Bengals scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Colts scored 451 PTS and 26.5 PPG  

And we didn’t make the playoffs because Wentz was trash the last 2 games. He was terrible when we had to rely on him this year

4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

He's angry.

The person he is angry the most at is himself. He moved from Peyton, fine. He got a very good, once-in-a-lifetime replacement, but then proceeded to bungle that solid opportunity.

He bought into comments about how Peyton didn't win enough SBs, and how the Star Wars numbers are less than rings, etc. Basically he got spoiled by having greatness around. Now he's waking up again and the dragon is roaring. That's good.

It means he will do whatever it takes to get a QB. And frankly, the odds high that even his best efforts there won't be enough. There are many teams with smart people in their building who also need QBs desperately.

My guess is they stick with Wentz another season. They need to load up on difference makers on offense and bolster the pass rush. Maybe there's a young, overlooked QB in this so-called weak class. Maybe. Either way, I think the Colts are going to be a passing team moving forward. They'll build that way at least, and i suspect many fans will not like it.

If nothing else, you can run like the 49ers but you have to be able to be dynamic in the passing game too.  They have Kittle and Deebo.  Irsay's * because not only does he need more weapons but he's not sold on the QB too.

4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

He's angry.

The person he is angry the most at is himself. He moved from Peyton, fine. He got a very good, once-in-a-lifetime replacement, but then proceeded to bungle that solid opportunity.

He bought into comments about how Peyton didn't win enough SBs, and how the Star Wars numbers are less than rings, etc. Basically he got spoiled by having greatness around. Now he's waking up again and the dragon is roaring. That's good.

It means he will do whatever it takes to get a QB. And frankly, the odds high that even his best efforts there won't be enough. There are many teams with smart people in their building who also need QBs desperately.

My guess is they stick with Wentz another season. They need to load up on difference makers on offense and bolster the pass rush. Maybe there's a young, overlooked QB in this so-called weak class. Maybe. Either way, I think the Colts are going to be a passing team moving forward. They'll build that way at least, and i suspect many fans will not like it.

Need to stop calling QBs "once in a lifetime" and "generational talent" 

Manning had Brady in his same era.... Not to mention other great qbs.Rivers, Etc....  Luck was not long after Rogers, same class as Wilson, same era as Watson, not long before Mahomes, Allen, etc.... 

Are elite qbs rare?  Absolutely.  Are they on e in a lifetime, or generational?  They aren't even "once in a decade".

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he signs a 3 year contract here he will play it out, why wouldn't he?

I can not believe this was written by someone who went through the Luck era. There's more of a chance Rodgers wouldn't play it out because he knows Irsay will let him keep the money!

I do find it curious that he mentioned the QB position specifically given the circumstances. Maybe it’s a coincidence that he singled out the one position that literally the entire world knows is holding us back, but the same message could have still been made (with less effort required to boot,) by just saying “offense” and “defense”. 

Irsay is as much a fan as he is an owner. He saw the Wentz situation play out in Philly, and he formed his own opinion on it, whatever it is. But he rarely meddles. He trusts the guys he hires. When frank stood on the table for Wentz and talked Ballard on board, even if he had his own reservations about it, Irsay trusted his guys to make chicken salad. 

If Irsay was less bullish on Wentz coming in then this season didn’t do much to change that. We’ve seen that everyone who had reservations coming in has even stronger reservations now. It’s not at all out of the question that Irsay resides in that camp, and that he’s not at all jazzed by the prospect of another year, and would even make a move in the right situation. 

And maybe, just maybe, a tweet like this is a subtle (see: non-tampering) way to let some of the QBs who may or may not be moving this off-season know that Indy, a place that by all accounts remains a QB away from being ready to rock, is a potential landing spot regardless of last spring’s trade. 

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I can not believe this was written by someone who went through the Luck era. There's more of a chance Rodgers wouldn't play it out because he knows Irsay will let him keep the money!

Luck quit because he is a quitter. Rodgers is not. Luck made his millions and got out of a job he never really loved. He quit on himself, family, team and his fans. 

I loved Luck but I just have to call it what it is.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mina Kimes just said Jimmy G is worst QB in the post season, wrong. Tannehill was and his play back that up'd. I think Jimmy G beats that Rams next week, watch and see. 

All Jimmy G did was get knocked around.  Did you watch the game?  

Personally, I think Irsay wants Wilson. He’s got a great reputation, he’s sponsor-friendly, and he’s good people. He’d be here for the last  5-8 prime years of his career, so he’d solve the issue at QB. 

On top of that he would give Irsay one last great chance run as an owner. I think Irsay wants to win now because he doesn’t intend to do this for another 20 years. He doesn’t want to be Al Davis. I think he wants to see his daughters run the show before his time is up, and I feel like he’s given himself a 10ish year timeframe before he really hands it off to them. 

Wilson is the complete package that Irsay could use to make that one last run that would rival the Manning run in terms of opportunity and excitement. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rodgers is a top 10 QB of all-time, you know how great he is haha . Yeah he has only 1 SB but only 12 QB's have won 2. It took Peyton forever to get #2.

The thing is it took Peyton leaving the Colts to get 2 rings. As soon as he left, he was in the SB in 2/4 years. 

Perhaps the Colts could be that team for Rodgers. It would be amazing to go from this current situation to making a couple of SBs by 2026.

31 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Manning had Brady in his same era.... Not to mention other great qbs.Rivers, Etc....  Luck was not long after Rogers, same class as Wilson, same era as Watson, not long before Mahomes, Allen, etc.... 

Are elite qbs rare?  Absolutely.  Are they on e in a lifetime, or generational?  They aren't even "once in a decade".

It's a manner of speech. I get your point though, these good QBs are showing up. The true game changers like Manning and Mahomes are still the unicorns.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

That is bad. It reeks of a QB that cannot handle pressure whatsoever and is only suited to be a front runner, as long as his D holds the other team to less than 20 points. Outside the Jets game where Eberflus played prevent D, was there any single score game that mattered that we won where the opposition scored more than 20? We ALMOST did vs the Ravens, and who knows, if we did win that, our mindset and season outlook might have been different from that point onwards.

For all the number crunching and analytics, this one number should have scared us from investing in Wentz. You get only so many chances and this year will be Wentz's last chance for a starter QB job in the NFL for him to showcase if he can truly improve considerably.

44 minutes ago, Blindside said:

I wrote about this in another thread.  The last two games will not be easily forgotten.  Wentz is gone and you know what, Reich might not be far behind him.  You absolutely don't double down after such a epic collapse unless your name Andrew luck even then you should be concerned. QB IS the most important position on the team. If you had or have doubts on if your QB is all in, then don't let the door hit you in the * on your way out.  This is Jim, and to be honest it should be most of us. How many pro bowlers did we have this year. I will help you Seven.  Ballard may have said early on that we were still a year or two out from really competing but don't tell Jim that. Yes maybe he lets his fandom get involved a little to much but as he gets older I see him being even more demanding of his gm and not putting up with B.s. Patience is not going get it done here and I absolutely agree with it. We had a team who by all measures was not going to 6 games this year.  Then we suddenly become one of the most feared teams in the league.  How does that happen ? Well it does and that's why you should expect to have success every year.  Sorry rant over but irsays tweet seems to have solidified everything I have been saying.

I love the  all the qb talk as it deflects from the fact that this Oline  blew it in the last 2 games and their rating in pass protection was abysmall through out the year. The D line is horrible and does not generate pressure. Is the qb play suspect?  Yes it is, but we have an over priced Oline, an average at best D line and no real skill players. Take a look at the remaining teams and they have lots of skills players, good  D lines and 3 of the 4 have franchise qbs. The Niners have been able to win because they have an absolute beast of a Dline, great Oline and running game and out of this world TE and play making WR. 

35 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I do find it curious that he mentioned the QB position specifically given the circumstances. Maybe it’s a coincidence that he singled out the one position that literally the entire world knows is holding us back, but the same message could have still been made (with less effort required to boot,) by just saying “offense” and “defense”. 

Irsay is as much a fan as he is an owner. He saw the Wentz situation play out in Philly, and he formed his own opinion on it, whatever it is. But he rarely meddles. He trusts the guys he hires. When frank stood on the table for Wentz and talked Ballard on board, even if he had his own reservations about it, Irsay trusted his guys to make chicken salad. 

If Irsay was less bullish on Wentz coming in then this season didn’t do much to change that. We’ve seen that everyone who had reservations coming in has even stronger reservations now. It’s not at all out of the question that Irsay resides in that camp, and that he’s not at all jazzed by the prospect of another year, and would even make a move in the right situation. 

And maybe, just maybe, a tweet like this is a subtle (see: non-tampering) way to let some of the QBs who may or may not be moving this off-season know that Indy, a place that by all accounts remains a QB away from being ready to rock, is a potential landing spot regardless of last spring’s trade. 

It's not curious because it's the one position that's the most important. Buffalo don't play the way they did without Allen, ditto KC. Ditto Cincy. Avoiding mentioning the QB and just speaking about the offense as a whole would be a vacant comment. The QB drives the engine. No use beating around that bush.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Winners just win, it's about wins and losses and you know it being the great knowledgeable poster you are. I would take Jimmy G over Tannehill or Wentz if I have good D and RB like Taylor. I would trust him more.

You must have not watched the game v. GB.  Jimmy G had a negative effect on his teams chance of winning.  He was horrible.  Absolutely horrible. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I actually agree with this.

Another way to say it is that Aaron Rogers carried a team that was without it's 2 best defenders for most of the year and it's all world LT.  

Watch what happens to that team if ARodg leaves.  They will be in the running for the #1pick. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Peyton never won with a great RB, Brees never won with a great RB, Brady never won with a great RB, yes Deuce, Addai, Dominic, Kevin Faulk were good RBs but the one great RB Edge that Peyton worked with, we never went to a SB with him. I don't think that truly matters. The OL is what matters.

Corey Dillon was great.  But I don't disagree with your point about the RB position.

1 hour ago, SchlicterSZN said:

generational qb is news media buzz

Archived