Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

The message it sends is that it's not okay to flame out at the end of the year, and that everyone has to meet a certain standard if they want to remain on the roster. And that's a good message to send.

Irsay didn't say anything wrong, and he didn't say anything out of line. He honestly could have said a lot more, and I'd still be okay with it. Wentz held us back, especially with the season on the line, and there is no praise to be handed out for his play. Doesn't mean the entire collapse is his fault, but no one has said that. Irsay's comment that you need good QBing and offensive play (and defensive play, btw; is he throwing the defense under the bus??) is so fundamental and basic that I'm kind of shocked anyone is even batting an eye at this. QBs ripped up the league this weekend. It's obvious our QBing wasn't good enough. And we're acting like Irsay posted a "QB for sale" sign on Twitter... He just stated the obvious.

If Irsay said 'you have to get a consistent pass rush to win in the playoffs,' would everyone be saying 'oh, our pass rushers need his support, this isn't a good look'? 

I'd say this is a non issue, but I actually think it's a good thing. This team is at a crossroads. The last month has exposed, not only a roster talent deficiency, but also a lack of heart on the team. It needs to be addressed head on.

I wish I could give this post 10 trophy's Spider-Man GIF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard hasn’t done anything. This team is no where closer to contending then they were when he got here.

Basically, Ballard has drafted well in the positions that matter the least, and that has little to no effect in the long run towards us competing for a SB (or even making the playoffs). We have the best RB in the NFL and we win 9 games. That should be proof how important the QB and premium positions are, and how much Ballard has failed to address them.

We have a few elite players and a bunch of solid players, but they aren't at the positions that make a huge difference.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Sorry mods, please merge if this is already posted but did not see it in the irsay all chips are in thread. Irsay says it is clear watching playoffs you need a qb and O who can score 30 plus and a D that can hold the opponent under 30.  The fact he mentions the qb position leads me to believe Wentz is out.

Sort of odd that he tweeted it at 1:20am on Tuesday AM, but it's Irsay so not too out of the ordinary. 

I think people are reading way to much into this.  The folks who want a new Quarterback see it as a condemnation of Wentz.  When you think about it we have a quarterback and an offense that was scoring 30 points a game and a defense that can hold an opponent under 30.  There in lies his frustration.  We should have been in that final 8.  I think that’s all he is saying.   The team collapsed against Jac not just Wentz.  Jmo.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think people are reading way to much into this.  The folks who want a new Quarterback see it as a condemnation of Wentz.  When you think about it we have a quarterback and an offense that was scoring 30 points a game and a defense that can hold an opponent under 30.  There in lies his frustration.  We should have been in that final 8.  I think that’s all he is saying.   The team collapsed against Jac not just Wentz.  Jmo.

Actually for as much crap I give Wentz, our offense was real productive as a whole. That I will admit.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Until you have plan b secured I just think it was a dumb move.

I know that's what you think, you've stated it several times in this thread already. I strongly disagree with you, and I think you're overreacting to an extreme degree.

If Wentz needs to be coddled at every step and can't handle even the mildest challenge, then it's time to move on, Plan B or not. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know that's what you think, you've stated it several times in this thread already. I strongly disagree with you, and I think you're overreacting to an extreme degree.

If Wentz needs to be coddled at every step and can't handle even the mildest challenge, then it's time to move on, Plan B or not. 

I think it goes deeper then just the QB. How does it effect all the players on the team knowing they could be publicly called out.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically, Ballard has drafted well in the positions that matter the least, and that has little to no effect in the long run towards us competing for a SB (or even making the playoffs). We have the best RB in the NFL and we win 9 games. That should be proof how important the QB and premium positions are, and how much Ballard has failed to address them.

We have a few elite players and a bunch of solid players, but they aren't at the positions that make a huge difference.

Plan B is in session, JMO. :thmup:

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The message it sends is that it's not okay to flame out at the end of the year, and that everyone has to meet a certain standard if they want to remain on the roster. And that's a good message to send.

Irsay didn't say anything wrong, and he didn't say anything out of line. He honestly could have said a lot more, and I'd still be okay with it. Wentz held us back, especially with the season on the line, and there is no praise to be handed out for his play. Doesn't mean the entire collapse is his fault, but no one has said that. Irsay's comment that you need good QBing and offensive play (and defensive play, btw; is he throwing the defense under the bus??) is so fundamental and basic that I'm kind of shocked anyone is even batting an eye at this. QBs ripped up the league this weekend. It's obvious our QBing wasn't good enough. And we're acting like Irsay posted a "QB for sale" sign on Twitter... He just stated the obvious.

If Irsay said 'you have to get a consistent pass rush to win in the playoffs,' would everyone be saying 'oh, our pass rushers need his support, this isn't a good look'? 

I'd say this is a non issue, but I actually think it's a good thing. This team is at a crossroads. The last month has exposed, not only a roster talent deficiency, but also a lack of heart on the team. It needs to be addressed head on.

I wasn't saying Wentz should be praised, because there was no praiseworthy play from him the last 2 weeks of the season.  But it was throwing him under the bus, so they must plan on moving on from him.  Also, if the entire team plays like crap, who's fault is that?  The coaches?  Because we know the players CAN play well.  I do agree, we are at a crossroads.  We have some holes to fill, and the team needs a sense of urgency to win.

You can interpret that tweet however you want that fits your agenda, just like alot of things. With all the setbacks this team had this football season there was a lot of good things and bad things we seen. This 22-23 season coming up with be different once the Colts add some weapons but I don't see a change at QB now do i think one is warranted UNLESS something falls in to their lap or Carson gets outplayed in camp.

After what Carson faced in Philly and then the setbacks that started his new chapter here there would be something wrong if Carson didn't have some issues mentally right now  (lack of himself, fan support, doubt ect).  

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think it goes deeper then just the QB. How does it effect all the players on the team knowing they could be publicly called out.

First, Wentz wasn't publicly called out.

Second, the Colts are basically never publicly critical of their own players. That Irsay appears to be turning up the heat just a little (and it's very little, if at all; this is NOT a big deal here) should make it obvious that the standard needs to be met.

And anyone who can't handle that slight increase in temperature should probably find a different job, because there's no NFL team that wouldn't be turning up the temperature after such a disappointing end to the season. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Plan B is in session, JMO. :thmup:

I agree they will do something different. They have too at this point. I don't know if it will be a QB change, making an effort to build around Wentz, fixing the secondary or pass rush, or getting an elite LT, but we need to fill at least one of the premium positions via FA since we don't have a 1st round pick. I realize Ballard has a high hit rate in the draft, but you can't count on it this year without a 1st rounder. At least in 2019 and 2020 we had multiple 2nd round picks when missing our 1st rounder. This year, we just have a compensatory 5th and 6th round extra pick (if sources are correct).

What we do in FA and the draft will determine whether I watch the Colts on TV, or just follow them on gametracker next season. I have never felt like an upcoming season was so hopeless since 2011 when Manning didn't play for us and we had Curtis Painter at QB. Even that got us Andrew Luck though lol.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Second, the Colts are basically never publicly critical of their own players. That Irsay appears to be turning up the heat just a little (and it's very little, if at all; this is NOT a big deal here) should make it obvious that the standard needs to be met.

And anyone who can't handle that slight increase in temperature should probably find a different job, because there's no NFL team that wouldn't be turning up the temperature after such a disappointing end to the season. 

Some people can't Jack Nicholson You Cant Handle The Truth GIF- lmao . You are on fire today, great post after great post. That is what you do though :thmup:

6 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I wasn't saying Wentz should be praised, because there was no praiseworthy play from him the last 2 weeks of the season.  But it was throwing him under the bus, so they must plan on moving on from him.  Also, if the entire team plays like crap, who's fault is that?  The coaches?  Because we know the players CAN play well.  I do agree, we are at a crossroads.  We have some holes to fill, and the team needs a sense of urgency to win.

I don't think he was thrown under the bus. I think this is a simple acknowledgment that the team needs to play better, and that includes Wentz. I don't think it's a signal about their plans in either direction, it was just a stating of the obvious.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

OR, there was every reason to believe Campbell would finally be a talented member of a good passing attack. Darn that injury!

And every reason to believe Pascal & Hines would once again be good again in 2021. And crowd favorite TY still here.

With our top line, and All-Pro RB striking fear in defenses, our passing game, 200 yds per game, was erratic and sub-par. Hmmm!

GEE, who addressed the DE Position with our 1st & 2nd? LMAO

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree they will do something different. They have too at this point. I don't know if it will be a QB change, making an effort to build around Wentz, fixing the secondary or pass rush, or getting an elite LT, but we need to fill at least one of the premium positions via FA since we don't have a 1st round pick. I realize Ballard has a high hit rate in the draft, but you can't count on it this year without a 1st rounder. At least in 2019 and 2020 we had multiple 2nd round picks when missing our 1st rounder. This year, we just have a compensatory 5th and 6th round extra pick (if sources are correct).

What we do in FA and the draft will determine whether I watch the Colts on TV, or just follow them on gametracker next season. I have never felt like an upcoming season was so hopeless since 2011 when Manning didn't play for us and we had Curtis Painter at QB. Even that got us Andrew Luck though lol.

I was disappointed in Wentz but I will say this our D was so disappointing against Jacks that they made me so angry. Angry Homer Simpson GIF by FOX TV

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

OR, there was every reason to believe Campbell would finally be a talented member of a good passing attack. Darn that injury!

And every reason to believe Pascal & Hines would once again be good again in 2021. And crowd favorite TY still here.

With our top line, and All-Pro RB striking fear in defenses, our passing game, 200 yds per game, was erratic and sub-par. Hmmm!

GEE, who addressed the DE Position with our 1st & 2nd? LMAO

Even if Campbell didn't didn't get hurt, he was in his 3rd year and there was no guarantee he'd be good. He'd have to avoid injury AND play well. No guarantee he'd do both.

Pascal has been average at best in his career. No one had any expectations there except for you I believe. He's more of a blocking WR first, which is what he did (though he declined a bit). Hines being underutilized was criminal. However, that was Reich and Wentz's fault. So blame them for not using him properly, that could of been avoided.

Wentz being bad was on Ballard and Reich for trading for him and choosing him as our QB. They made a poor decision and it eventually cost a shot in the playoffs as well as a 1st and 3rd round pick that has a good chance of being a sunk cost now.

We drafted Paye and Dayo yes, but we lost Autry and Houston, and they thrived on other teams. We had a downgrade in production year 1, and we'll have to see what they do in year 2. The mistake there was not keeping either Autry or Houston as a veteran option (especially with Dayo not returning til about midseason).

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It d not a good look to openly say we need a QB. I know he is ticked off and he should be but airing out our needs is not going to help us in negotiations The want is high and we may severely overpay. 

Everyone saw the season, we're not hiding anything. Nothing he's saying affects negotiating. 

When media is listing teams in the hunt for a QB, Indy is up there with Pitts and others. They all saw Wentz. We have to be open and frank with ourselves.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

On fire peyton manning finger guns GIF by Gatorade

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I believe the best move is to roll with Carson one more season, hope he progresses and get him a few more quality weapons at WR and TE, and if he doesn’t get much better, then in the 2023 draft trade up a bit to get one of the prized QB prospects in a good class. KC, Houston, and Buffalo did it when they traded up for Mahomes, Watson, and Allen. You need a top QB to win a Super Bowl in this league. 

I really dont see another realistic option

You need a great QB and high powered offense to win SB's in this era of football. Thats not a secret to anyone including Jim. Unless your the anomaly 49ers who have a devastating pass rush, great all around defense and run game. Even they haven't won a title yet though, just have come close. 

I think Ballard is going to take a swing at the Wilson's and Rodgers of the NFL. Whether or not they come to Indy well...TBD haha im not confident. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I talked to my uncle last night who is a huge Titans fan and he says the same thing about Tannehill.

The Colts, Titans, Vikings, and 49'ers are all the same team. Nearly unbeatable with good QB play.

But all four have 'sometimes good' quarterbacks

Tannehill did some good things this year, but no one's surprised how it turned out

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

There seems to be a lot of rumors or info however you want to perceive it, that this was one of the very reasons things didn't work out in Philly. Wentz couldn't handle the pressure of having Nick Foles, then Hurtz behind him challenging him for the job.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mina Kimes just said Jimmy G is worst QB in the post season, wrong. Tannehill was and his play back that up'd. I think Jimmy G beats that Rams next week, watch and see. 

I'd take that bet.  But I also thought the Pack was a sure thing.

I learned a long time ago that Vegas knows way more than I do.  So the smart thing to do is invest in stock on betting apps like DraftKings, etc.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I believe the best move is to roll with Carson one more season, hope he progresses and get him a few more quality weapons at WR and TE, and if he doesn’t get much better, then in the 2023 draft trade up a bit to get one of the prized QB prospects in a good class. KC, Houston, and Buffalo did it when they traded up for Mahomes, Watson, and Allen. You need a top QB to win a Super Bowl in this league. 

Totally agree with this. There just isn’t a realistic scenario where the Colts don’t roll with Carson Wentz next season. But they CAN upgrade the receiving corps, which, by any reasonable standards, is well below average.

If they have to rebalance the salary structure away from a heavy O-line emphasis, so be it. Pinter looked as good as Kelly this year at a dramatically lower price point. If the cap situation allows this to work, trade Kelly for a pick and start Pinter. But however you do it, the Colts HAVE to find a way to free up some money and go get a difference making receiver or two in free agency. 

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

Come on! They won 9 games and even 2 of them are in their Conference title games. Wentz wasn’t even close to worst QB in the league. Just stop it!

The only team left they beat was SF...and that was in a monsoon where Jimmy G literally couldn't grip the ball. I also don't think SF is suddenly this great team. Their path to the NFFCG is not a normal path. 

But I think the larger point is that somebody doesn't have to think Wentz is the worst QB in the NFL to be the wrong QB for this team...or not good enough for this team. Wentz being the 20th best QB or even the 15th best QB doesn't move the needle, especially when he has a penchant for making the worst plays at the worst time.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'd take that bet.  But I also thought the Pack was a sure thing.

I learned a long time ago that Vegas knows way more than I do.  So the smart thing to do is invest in stock on betting apps like DraftKings, etc.

Rams should blow the doors of them but the 49ers have a great D and a Deebo + a QB that doesn't screw up with the game on the line. 49ers win 20-17.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

There seems to be a lot of rumors or info however you want to perceive it, that this was one of the very reasons things didn't work out in Philly. Wentz couldn't handle the pressure of having Nick Foles, then Hurtz behind him challenging him for the job.

If he can't handle this kind of challenge, or a little bit of competition, then he's not the right guy, and it doesn't matter whether you coddle him or not. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mina Kimes just said Jimmy G is worst QB in the post season, wrong. Tannehill was and his play back that up'd. I think Jimmy G beats that Rams next week, watch and see. 

Worst QB still in the playoffs, probably what she meant.

Archived