Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

7 hours ago, Superman said:

It was kind of a standout situation, HOF QB becoming available like that. But in Denver's case, all it cost was cap space, which was a no brainer. They didn't have to trade a bunch of picks and/or players to get Manning, just had to sign him.

You are right,  they didn't have to give up picks to get Manning... but Elway built a ridiculous team around him which was unsustainable.  Clearly with the intention of winning a superbowl with a hof qb and then watching the roster get dismantled due to unsustainability in how the team was built.

After losing SB in 2013, he gave Peyton great weapons on O and had a very stacked D in 2014 and 2015.  Team was clearly built to win quick superbowl or 2 and then experience cap hell and rebuild.  He signed Stokley and Welker in 2012-2013 and then in 2014 he resigned Chris Harris Jr. and Brandon Marshall (and others including Andre Caldwell) , signed Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, TJ Ward, Emmanuel Sanders to a team that already had DeMaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Von Miller, CJ Anderson, Julius Thomas etc... they had 11 probowlers I. 2014 but lost to Colts in playoffs.. in 2015, they lost Welker and Thomas but signed Owen Daniels to replace Thomas and retained all other very important players.. they won SB and then Peyton retired and even though they were able to retain a good chunk of players they were only able to go 9-7 (miss playoffs) following year before they really saw the team get dismantled and since they've been 5-11, 6-10, 7-9, 5-11, 7-10 - missing the playoffs and stinking every year. 

Not surprisingly, they're considered a top landing spot for Aaron Rodgers.  I am not sure that will happen, but if it does, we'll likely see the same cycle (ie, Elway builds a powerhouse for a couple years, Rodgers retires and they go back to stinking for 5 + years).

I wasn't just talking about Peyton when I made my original comment, so thanks for pointing that out.. I meant Elway building a short term power house which was ultimately unsustainable in the salary cap Era.. since then, we've seen the Bucs do it, the Rams do it, and we'll likely see that model be repeatedly attempted for a while.. irsay mentioned 2 superbowl wins in next 10 years (maybe he said 20 years? I think 10) .. the way Ballard has been building this team, we're likely to be in the playoff race with adequate qb play with a  chance to get hot and make a playoff run.. we won't be seeing any top 5 overall picks to draft a pretty sure franchise qb, and we also won't be SB favorites.... the question will be, does Irsay want to have that above average team for the next 10 years that has a chance to win SB if they get hot and make a run, but not a SB favorite.. or does he want to build a powerhouse for short term by going after a Rodgers type and then seeing there being a rebuild period for several years.. maybe Ballard can find a way to get a stud qb via trade or fa (or maybe we get lucky and get a steal in draft who turns into franchise qb, doubtful but not impossible) and figure out how to not go thru a rebuild when that guy retires, but I doubt it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived