Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

Didn't we have a stretch of like 8 consecutive games last season where we did score over 30 a game? After the 0-3 start we were one of the highest if not the highest scoring team in the league over the next 10 weeks. Those last four games the coaches and players must not have been on the same page. Could have been distracted by all those hbo cameras in the building(nice move nfl!!) But, really, Mr. Irsay needs to stay off twitter, I've been saying this for so many years now, I've lost track.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

My entire issue with getting Rodgers is what is the plan after him. What if he only plays a year then you don’t a first to go get his successor. 

Yea but isn't the point of the league to win SB's? If we won the SB who cares if he retires and we suck again the next year. Thats the risk you have to be willing to take. He is going to retire or go to Denver probably anyways.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s best to crash a year for the long term success of the team.

Do you actually understand the implications team wide that will be horribly affected by this notion? Seriously? 

Imagine yourself speaking to a group of individuals who have followed you through pain, suffering, and tough mental challenge. You are now telling them to do the opposite of what you have been asking, to benefit the team next year....who will be quite different next year because many will lose their jobs for following your new advice. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Do you actually understand the implications team wide that will be horribly affected by this notion? Seriously? 

Imagine yourself speaking to a group of individuals who have followed you through pain, suffering, and tough mental challenge. You are now telling them to do the opposite of what you have been asking, to benefit the team next year. Who will be quite different next year because many will lose their jobs for following your new advice. 

I never said it would be on purpose.  That poster is right. You had Jacoby build up the team around him and look to draft for a QB.

17 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

More scary than funny...at least for other NFC teams. If they somehow won a SB with Jimmy G and then hand over the reins to a healthy and improved Lance...with his upside...yikes. But I think it's going to be more of a Kap/Alex Smith scenario with Lance taking over next year.

Either way, if SF is right about Lance, they could own the NFC. It will just be NFCW teams playing each other every year.

Who knows what Lance is honestly. How many times have we seen top 5 drafted quarterback stink it up and be out of the league in no time. I think playing an injured Jimmy G over him all season has to say something. Who knows though. We will find out next season.

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea but isn't the point of the league to win SB's? If we won the SB who cares if he retires and we suck again the next year. Thats the risk you have to be willing to take. He is going to retire or go to Denver probably anyways.

What SB has Rodgers won in ten years. Could be a first round exit like GB did this year.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I have heard a lot of people say it and I am starting to agree getting a bridge vet QB when you need a QB only keeps you in mediocrity. It’s best to crash a year for the long term success of the team. Jacoby was getting paid 20 million. Could of stuck with him and went for a QB in the draft.

Stop stop stop.    BOB is that you?

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Imagine yourself speaking to a group of individuals who have followed you through pain, suffering, and tough mental challenge. You are now telling them to do the opposite of what you have been asking, to benefit the team next year....who will be quite different next year because many will lose their jobs for following your new advice. 

It's interesting to see someone argue that the owner shouldn't be critical of the QB in a tweet because it's bad for the rest of the team, then proceed to suggest the team should tank.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thetes nothing mind boggling here.   On his year end presser, Ballard literally says the words….

”This is a passing league”.

The Colts didn’t just learn this this past weekend.    And we had an offense that was scoring 30+ a game for a big chunk of the season.   It disappeared the last two weeks for reasons that are not yet explained.   We couldn’t pass block, we couldn’t run block, we couldn’t do much if anything.   Was there a Covid issue?   No one is saying yes or no.  
Ee didn’t become a run first offense because we wanted to, we became run first because we had to.   But that doesn’t mean Wentz is out.   People here famously over-react to tweets.   We won’t move on from CE, unless we can get someone better.   This is easier said than done.  

Our offense was poor the last 4 weeks 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's interesting to see someone argue that the owner shouldn't be critical of the QB in a tweet because it's bad for the rest of the team, then proceed to suggest the team should tank.

It wouldn’t be tanking. You would build up team around Jacoby one more year then target a QB in the draft.

I dont know that they have much choice but rolling with Wentz for the '22 season and see what happens.

Guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow aren't magically going to become options to the Colts.....especially with their lack of a 1st Rd pick.  Sure, they could make a push for Rogers....but dont know Irsay wants another non-vaxxed QB or keep to going with a 1-2 year stop gap at QB.

The best option is to go all out to find some decent WR/TE talent to help him out.  He's not great and is generally average at best but the lack of WR talent doesn't do him any favors.  If he had guys like Marvin, Reggie or prime TY to throw he'd hopefully have more success.

Wentz will never be great, but as they are likely stuck with him for now....draft, sign or trade for some offensive weapons for him.

Irsay should be setting an example here. Problem is, there is still no accountability. What happened to close our season was unacceptable and should not be excused. From anybody in the fam. The embarrassment and sting will linger no doubt. Complete failure by the whole organization. Dude trusted his people, and look what he got in return. I do not envy the position that the brass are in this offseason, and honestly, I have lost faith in them. As for Wentz, unfortunately he is not the answer. We need a QB that can elevate the play of the team. How do you make Reich account for that decision? Or is just better luck next time? Those two are tied together so if one goes, does the other?

I absolutely LOVE this! @Supermanis absolutely right that he's saying exactly what needs to be said. I'm so confused by people defending players being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game from criticism from the person who's paying them that money for them not meeting minimum expectations and their price tag. 

This is not just about Wentz. He even included the defense in the whole tweet thing. But Wentz definitely should be one of the people that takes note of this, because there won't be many owners in the league willing to give him anywhere close to that money he's getting with us going forward if he keeps playing the way he played for us and the last year in Philly. 

A message needed to be sent and it has been sent by the exact person who needed to send it. I LOVE IT! Irsay might have learned his lesson from last time and is putting pressure early rather than too late when his 100+ million dollars investment burned into ashes because of people on this team doing their jobs at a sub standard level. 

I'm flabbergasted that people are rushing to defend those players after that % show of an ending of the season. 

Do your job, or you're out. Full support from me here! 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I absolutely LOVE this! @Supermanis absolutely right that he's saying exactly what needs to be said. I'm so confused by people defending players being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game from criticism from the person who's paying them that money for them not meeting minimum expectations and their price tag. 

This is not just about Wentz. He even included the defense in the whole tweet thing. But Wentz definitely should be one of the people that takes note of this, because there won't be many owners in the league willing to give him anywhere close to that money he's getting with us going forward if he keeps playing the way he played for us and the last year in Philly. 

A message needed to be sent and it has been sent by the exact person who needed to send it. I LOVE IT! Irsay might have learned his lesson from last time and is putting pressure early rather than too late when his 100+ million dollars investment burned into ashes because of people on this team doing their jobs at a sub standard level. 

I'm flabbergasted that people are rushing to defend those players after that % show of an ending of the season. 

Do your job, or you're out. Full support from me here! 

YEP!!    So its pretty clear what he meant by All Chips Are In.   and people can stop trying to read between the lines LOL

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is becoming a big turnoff. He needs to stop trashing Carson. It’s not a good look.

The NFL is a business first and foremost. When things like feelings, faith, political correctness, etc. clash with reality, reality always wins. Irsay is speaking from the standpoint of a businessman, which is what one would expect of an NFL owner. Him tweeting that you need a QB and offense that can score 30 points is what it is: A statement of truth.

23 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I never said it would be on purpose.  That poster is right. You had Jacoby build up the team around him and look to draft for a QB.

And this is one of the worst draft classes of QBs in nearly 10 years.   And the FA class might be even worse.    And of course you know this because it’s been discussed here for the last 5-6 months. 

So what you now want flies in the face of all logic and common sense.   But if we wait you’ll have a new position in roughly 15 minutes.   We can practically set our watches by how quickly you’ll change your mind.   You read something new, you hear something new and suddenly you have a new position!   Ignoring my posts urging you to stop is only hurting you, not helping.  

46 minutes ago, Superman said:

I changed my tone on the direction of this team after the last month, especially watching us collapse, and then seeing the other QBs in the AFC duke it out this weekend. Hasn't everyone? Why would his comments months ago about multiple SB wins stand in opposition to his latest comments?

So there's two things. First, the QB play isn't good enough, the offensive production isn't good enough, the defense isn't good enough. Irsay implied all those things in his post, and he was correct in every instance.

Second, the way we folded exposed a crack in the armor somewhere. Acting like 'culture is great, we have good guys and we'll be fine' would be a mistake. The culture might not be flawed, but something is, and they better turn up the pressure now to find out where the crack lies so they can give an honest effort toward fixing it.

Another thing, great culture doesn't win games by itself. It might help you get through adversity over the course of a season, it might help you avoid self inflicted troubles, etc. But at the end of the day, you have to have the needed talent across the roster. Especially at QB, and that includes mental toughness.

Irsay could have given the basic, diplomatic answer, and I would have shrugged it off as inconsequential. His tone over the last two-plus weeks (and really, he's made the standard clear for a long time; his comments before the season about winning the opener were a bit of a heat check as well) makes it clear that the standard will be held high, and the team better be ready to compete. And everyone in the building -- whoever you are, whatever your role is -- needs to meet that standard. 

And that increased intensity -- and it's a mild increase, at best; he's not cursing out his QB, coach, or GM -- is needed right now. If the QB especially isn't mentally tough enough to handle that intensity, we need to know as soon as possible.

This organization isn't lacking toughness, including Wentz.

Our challenges are intellectual.

The Weight is squarely on Frank and his ability to get more out of Wentz's decision making. And can Frank succeed with Eberfluss's passive D?

And Ballard. Lewis, Turay, Banogu, Campbell.  NO Production. 

The $8M, that i believe Irsay himself spent bringing back TY, might have helped to bring the player we needed to make the playoffs. 

Loud Words !!!!!  Loud Words !!!!  Such a strange statement. 

Rodgers lead offense this season 26.5 PPG

Wilson lead offense this season 23.2 PPG

Jimmy G lead offense this season 25.1 PPG

Carr lead offense this season 22.0 PPG

Wentz lead offense this season 26.5 PPG 

Only 2 teams in the NFL averaged over 30 PPG that was teh Cowboys and the Bucs both at home for championship weekend. 

Rams scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Bengals scored 460 PTS and 27.1 PPG

Colts scored 451 PTS and 26.5 PPG  

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think it goes deeper then just the QB. How does it effect all the players on the team knowing they could be publicly called out.

Hopefully it makes them not play like complete * against 2 win teams. That would be a good start. For ALL OF THEM. Not just Wentz. All the all-pros that were getting dominated - the OL full of pro bowlers, the pro bowler Kenny Moore who allowed something like 150 yards against one of the worst offenses in the league, the pass-rushers who couldn't get any sort of pressure against one of the worst OL units in the league, the QB being paid 100M, the GM and coach who are "accountable" but don't change anything of substance year after year. They better get their heads straight and better know that this type of performance is  not acceptable. 

Irsay is setting himself up for failure making all these grand statements. When only small things happen fans are going to be mad.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rodgers is a top 10 QB of all-time, you know how great he is haha . Yeah he has only 1 SB but only 12 QB's have won 2. It took Peyton forever to get #2.

You going to actually respond to my post about him playing that long. There is no guarantee he plays for 3 more years.

Jim Irsay has always wore his emotions on his sleeve. He's not just an owner, he's a fan, possibly the biggest fan, of the Colts. He lives and dies with the team. 

I guess we can sit here all week and go back and forth on arguing what he should be doing, but at this point we should all realize that this is who Jim is. It's not going to change. He's going to tweet, he's going to do pressers, he's always going to be outspoken. 

For those who can't stand him, It might be time for some to find a new team to cheer for honestly... I'm not sure what the fuss is, and why we're going around in circles for now 5 pages... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Hopefully it makes them not play like complete * against 2 win teams. That would be a good start. For ALL OF THEM. Not just Wentz. All the all-pros that were getting dominated - the OL full of pro bowlers, the pro bowler Kenny Moore who allowed something like 150 yards against one of the worst offenses in the league, the pass-rushers who couldn't get any sort of pressure against one of the worst OL units in the league, the QB being paid 100M, the GM and coach who are "accountable" but don't change anything of substance year after year. They better get their heads straight and better know that this type of performance is  not acceptable. 

I get it. I just think accountability should be done behind closed doors not on Twitter.

Just now, stitches said:

The QB is not getting $100m.   The guaranteed money ends after this season.  Who is going to pay him that kind if money ever again?   He’s got to improve this year or else he’ll be in a different financial world.  

And by different I mean much worse. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay is setting himself up for failure making all these grand statements. When only small things happen fans are going to be mad.

You going to actually respond to my post about him playing that long. There is no guarantee he plays for 3 more years.

If he signs a 3 year contract here he will play it out, why wouldn't he?

Just now, buccolts said:

I have a headache, and it's still January.

me too Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And this is one of the worst draft classes of QBs in nearly 10 years.   And the FA class might be even worse.    And of course you know this because it’s been discussed here for the last 5-6 months. 

So what you now want flies in the face of all logic and common sense.   But if we wait you’ll have a new position in roughly 15 minutes.   We can practically set our watches by how quickly you’ll change your mind.   You read something new, you hear something new and suddenly you have a new position!   Ignoring my posts urging you to stop is only hurting you, not helping.  

6 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Imagine if she had 2 accounts??  She could argue with herself.  LOL

Hey take it easy on her she loves the team

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very valid, and the losses were NOT ALL on Wentz

It was a team loss......  they werent even competitive 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he signs a 3 year contract here he will play it out, why wouldn't he?

He is 38. Things can change at any time. What if year one doesn’t go as planned. What If he hates it here. He is a little bit of a diva. You never know with him. I could be talked into Wilson because he has a little more time here. If we sign Rodgers what’s the plan as a successor? We just going to wing it again when he rehires. Probably because of the draft picks Wr have to give up. This team has so many holes it also hurts is not having these picks to improve the team. Why not be patient and build around Wentz until the right guy comes along in the draft.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The QB is not getting $100m.   The guaranteed money ends after this season.  Who is going to pay him that kind if money ever again?   He’s got to improve this year or else he’ll be in a different financial world.  

And by different I mean much worse. 

He better not be... if he's playing like this. I don't mind us paying tons of money to a QB, but when we do we should have some expectations about his performance.

Archived