Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everybody agrees that the Colts are lacking weapons.  My question on that front is, what about Nyheim Hines?

Colts are paying him more than they should.  Colts brass are saying they need to get him more involved, but I think doing so at the expense of Jonathan Taylor is a huge mistake.  So how about this, position change for Nyheim Hines?  He super fast and receiving is meant to be his forte, so why not turn him into our version of Tyreek Hill?

Hines is only 1” shorter than Tyreek, but he’s more solid.  Getting the most from your weapons seems to make sense, so convert him to a new position so as to enhance the weapons in the receiving corp.  That way, if Hines is the weapon they think he is, use him as such.  Now all of a sudden, at the same time you’d have Taylor as an uber dangerous running back threat, you’d have Pittman as the big WR target, and you’d have Hines out there too, to really create big play potential mismatches.  Add to the mix a finally healthy (cross fingers) big play dangerous Parris Campbell, or a developing Strachan or Patmon or a big play legit WR1 free agent, and suddenly you have ample weapons for the passing game.  

Heck, bring back Marlon Mack on the cheap as your number one RB backup and then you have even yet another weapon.  It’s not like Mack will attract big bucks in free agency.

I think the Colts are stuck with Wentz for one more year, but make these changes and if Wentz cannot thrive next year with such, then you definitively know you need to go in a different direction at QB thereafter.

Anyway, Colts brass all say Hines was under utilized, so take this asset and change things up. Take advantage of the personnel you have and find ways to utilize them effectively. So Hines is the natural guy to look toward, but it cannot be at the expense of taking Taylor off the field.  Simple!

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No thanks.   I like exposing you over and over and over again.   

There’s no part of you that presents yourself as a legit Colts fan.   Instead you present as someone who delights in annoying the vast majority.  

That’s a troll.   

You disappear when things are going good and magically show up when things are not.  You make bag arguments that show a fundamental lack of understanding of how franchises are run.   And when multiple people explain it to you, you ignore them and start the cycle all over again. 

That’s a troll.  

So, no,  I’ll be responding to you if only to point how just how little you know.   There are some here you can fool.  I’m just not one of them. 

I think @Moosejawcolt's approach has been formed by the years of when people who do not know how franchises are run....which would be you, me, and everybody on the forum......simply said "Trust in Ballard".  It takes a lot of repetitive posts to extinguish the residue of kool aid.

To the extent that there is a notion that GMs know what they are doing simply because they hold the position, he tends to come out when its easier to point out that they don't necessarily know what they are doing simply by holding the position. 

It mostly settles around the idea that valuing interior talent like FSs, Gs, ILBs, and straight ahead running RBs is the way to winning football......and the idea since that's what Ballard has done makes it smarter.....where as now it seems that even the owner might be beginning to publicly come around to the way that @Moosejawcoltunderstands winning football teams.  Skill positions?

Not that the owner would ever throw his GM and HC under the bus for taking the wrong approach.  He'd say that stuff more directly during the presser that announced their firing.

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m sure PFF probably says our pass protection was trash all on their own but I believe they’ll bounce back and perform much better with a QB like Rodgers who can read a defense and diagnose pre snap where he wants to go with the ball ala Rivers.  Also, I’d expect us to commit to bringing in more weapons. Most likely even Adams if Rodgers wanted him.

Also you have to factor in the swap of Wentz & Rodgers salaries on the cap.  Don’t know how much difference they’d have in pay but that difference would be the only added cap increase.  And I’m not saying he’s afraid of Mahomes & Herbert but the AFC South provides a much better opportunity to potentially get home field advantage and just get in the dance.

And I think Rodgers would probably be just fine in the Carmel or Geist areas during the football season.  The vax rant could be a deal breaker for either Irsay or Rodgers.  So that one is hard to reconcile.

A VERY quick, easy look at Spotrac to START making your point from, shows that swapping for AR would give us a 1st year cap hit of $45M.

He couldn't get his team past Garappolo, playing at home. haha!

Chuckle at the AR/Wilson dream.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Irsay needs to put his phone and guitars down, and get to work..... 

What work does he need to do? He hired a GM and HC to do all of that work. If he starts to do work, he's meddling, which tends not to go well.

11 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm sorry covid ain't hindering a pro athlete for two weeks straight. B.S. excuse...

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Numerous athletes have talked about their struggles after having Covid. We're not rehashing this again here, but thank you for your expert medical opinion. 

23 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I think everybody agrees that the Colts are lacking weapons.  My question on that front is, what about Nyheim Hines?

Colts are paying him more than they should.  Colts brass are saying they need to get him more involved, but I think doing so at the expense of Jonathan Taylor is a huge mistake.  So how about this, position change for Nyheim Hines?  He super fast and receiving is meant to be his forte, so why not turn him into our version of Tyreek Hill?

Hines is only 1” shorter than Tyreek, but he’s more solid.  Getting the most from your weapons seems to make sense, so convert him to a new position so as to enhance the weapons in the receiving corp.  That way, if Hines is the weapon they think he is, use him as such.  Now all of a sudden, at the same time you’d have Taylor as an uber dangerous running back threat, you’d have Pittman as the big WR target, and you’d have Hines out there too, to really create big play potential mismatches.  Add to the mix a finally healthy (cross fingers) big play dangerous Parris Campbell, or a developing Strachan or Patmon or a big play legit WR1 free agent, and suddenly you have ample weapons for the passing game.  

Heck, bring back Marlon Mack on the cheap as your number one RB backup and then you have even yet another weapon.  It’s not like Mack will attract big bucks in free agency.

I think the Colts are stuck with Wentz for one more year, but make these changes and if Wentz cannot thrive next year with such, then you definitively know you need to go in a different direction at QB thereafter.

Anyway, Colts brass all say Hines was under utilized, so take this asset and change things up. Take advantage of the personnel you have and find ways to utilize them effectively. So Hines is the natural guy to look toward, but it cannot be at the expense of taking Taylor off the field.  Simple!

Simple. They just want Hines in the passing game, to do at least what he did with Rivers. Hines doesn't have the switch that Hill does.

Pascal was very good with Rivers. 

Reich couldn't get good football 101, getting the quick tosses to our open receivers in the flats, nor throwing well into tight windows in the short to medium range. We will have another year of Reich/Wentz. Oh boy!

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

True. The Colts would still have JT, Pittman, Leonard, DeFo, and an owner dying to spend money. 

I would say Taylor is a playmaker and so is DeFo and even Leornard.  Pittman is not a playmaker but is a nice asset. We need playmakers on the peripheral.  Wentz is to blame and I get it. I  do not like the fact in his presser that Ballard kind of  called out Wentz. Ballard needs to buck up and admit that he has failed miserably in building a Dline. Just think about all the draft picks and nothing to show for it.  Doesn't it bug people that Autry is lighting it up with the Titans? I have little faith in his ability  to build a Dline and I think his drafting and actions in free agency support my lack of faith.

36 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I think if used right Hines could be similar to Samual in San Fran. I’d like to see more of of him and Taylor in the backfield together.  Good stuff always seemed to happen when they lined up like that.  

I don’t think Mack is going to come back here and I don’t think Ballard will be interested in him with all the other holes he has to fill.  He wasn’t even active most of the year and at one point asked for a trade.  

Anything they get from Campbell will be an added bonus at this point.  He’s proven he can’t be counted on as a major part of your offense due to injuries.  

As for the QB spot my gut says they bring back Wentz and bring in an experienced vet to compete with him.  It probably won’t be a name that excites people at all.  However, with all the talk about QB and Irsay seemingly calling out the QB position publicly it wouldn’t shock me if they go in a different direction at QB.  

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I was watching Colin Cowherd today & he & Joy ended the show with an interesting discussion. It was about Aaron Rodgers to the Colts in a trade for Wentz.  He said Carson would make a great 1 year option for the Packers.  He has roots from North Dakota which isn’t too different of a lifestyle than Wisconsin.  Also with the other QB’s in the division (Fields, Cousins, & Goff) the Packers would still most likely be the favorites to win the division next year with Wentz at QB.

Earlier in the show, he addressed the Rodgers to the Broncos option.  And he said it was another possibility but wondered if Rodgers wanted to have to play Mahomes, Herbert, & Carr each 2 times a year and battle through them to win the AFC West? The AFC South is a much more winnable division.  

Lastly, Rodgers said that he’d make his intentions known to the Packers before free agency begins (March date that I can’t recall off the top of my head).  But isn’t that the same date that we would have to make a decision on Carson Wentz & whether we’d be on the hook for 15m guaranteed from him by???  

Now Rodgers vaccination situation gives me pause because I don’t know how Irsay feels about bringing in another unvaccinated QB but Wentz is no Rodgers.  Also, if we execute this trade and don’t have to give up 1st round picks, we’d still be able to draft a QB if Rodgers decided to retire unexpectedly.   I’d also expect us to make a run at Adams to pair with Pittman for Rodgers.  But if the Pack tried to franchise Adams, I think Rodgers would quickly find rhythm with a guy like David Bell (my hope for us to draft with our 2nd round pick) and turn him into his new Adams.

I  make predictions and yes I am wrong on occasion. Some would even say I am always wrong...lol. I just don't get the Wilson and  Rodgers to Indy talk.  We do not have a 1st rounder this year. No GM is going to trade either qb without getting a 1st this year. That GM would be on the hotseat and he  would have to show the owner and the fanbase that the player he traded for Rodgers is performing in 2022. 

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

What work does he need to do? He hired a GM and HC to do all of that work. If he starts to do work, he's meddling, which tends not to go well.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Numerous athletes have talked about their struggles after having Covid. We're not rehashing this again here, but thank you for your expert medical opinion. 

Right he’s already done his “work” he made it known to Ballard and Reich how the Colts finished the year was not acceptable and that they need to fix it.  He literally has guys for that.  Now it’s up to them to do something about it.  People like talk about accountability here a lot.  Well that’s what Irsay’s job is to hold Ballard and Reich accountable and he’s done that by seemingly putting them on notice and sending out another message publicly saying what he wants his team to be.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Right he’s already done his “work” he made it know to Ballard and Reich how the Colts finished the year was not acceptable and that they need to fix it.  He literally has guys for that.  Now it’s up to them to do something about it.  People like talk about accountability here a lot.  Well that’s what Irsay’s job is to hold Ballard and Reich accountable and he’s done that by seemingly put them on notice and sending out another message publicly saying what he wants his team to be.

I have never seen him this upset before, I don't blame him either. This may get interesting.

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I  make predictions and yes I am wrong on occasion. Some would even say I am always wrong...lol. I just don't get the Wilson and  Rodgers to Indy talk.  We do not have a 1st rounder this year. No GM is going to trade either qb without getting a 1st this year. That GM would be on the hotseat and he  would have to show the owner and the fanbase that the player he traded for Rodgers is performing in 2022. 

Why would a QB want to come to Indy when Indy has no players to throw the ball too.  Pitt is nice, but he's not either of DK, Lockett, or Adams.   Unless Rodgers or Wilson is looking to hand the ball off and make the occasional play when needed, I don't see a good fit.

Also, all of the elite QBs play in the AFC.  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Herbert.    Maybe the folks speculating on the Rodgers and Wilson's futures have not looked at the broader landscape yet, but having to go up against those 4 playoff caliber teams, the AFC seems like the harder path to take.

Just now, DougDew said:

Why would a QB want to come to Indy when Indy has no players to throw the ball too.  Pitt is nice, but he's not either of DK, Lockett, or Adams.   Unless Rodgers or Wilson is looking to hand the ball off and make the occasional play when needed, I don't see a good fit.

Also, all of the elite QBs play in the AFC.  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Herbert.    Maybe the folks speculating on their futures have not looked at the broader landscape yet, but having to go up against those 4 playoff caliber teams seems like the harder path to take.

Because we have the best RB in the league. That is the selling point and a great one. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Also, all of the elite QBs play in the AFC.  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Herbert.    Maybe the folks speculating on their futures have not looked at the broader landscape yet, but having to go up against those 4 playoff caliber teams seems like the harder path to take.

I agree,  but Packers and Seahawks may trade them because of the log jam of qbs in the AFC. It would be harder for those 2 to win the superbowl. You trade them to an NFC team and the road is maybe easier.  The front offices of these 2 teams want to maximize their trade value a but they  also do not want it to come back and bite them in the ......

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Fisher was just bad a pass pro.... He's never been great in that area. Plenty of pre-Indy film showing him on skates. So can't blame him on Wentz.

Kelly has taken steps back two years in a row, and that's not on Wentz, anymore it was on Rivers last year.

And the Davenport and Tevi ugly snaps aren't on Wentz either. Both are just bad.

Wentz's cap hit is 28M (15M in DC) in 2022. 

Rodgers cap hit is 46M (26M in DC) in 2022. 

So +18M

Doesn't mean they can't restructure when they extend, but AR aint going to take a pay-cut.... 

I just don't think intra-div QBs are near the factor of OL and pass catching talent... 

If I'm AR... My top choices are 

1. Tampa Bay if Brady retires... Top 5 OL, and FO that's willing to bring back the skill guys.
  2. 49ers if they want to move on from Jimmy. Top 5 OL, good weapons, QB friendly HC/OC.
  3. WFT - top 10 OL, 1000 yard rusher, Terry Mclaurin, and some other nice young pieces. Just add another pass catcher... 
  4. Broncos - 2 good RBs, several nice young weapons. Just need to tweak the OL a bit. 

A couple nights ago i watched some of the Titans-KC playoff game from 2018 i think..

Fisher squared up with Harold Landry nicely for the initial contact.

Landry quickly made a counter move and Fisher immediately lost him.

This happened numerous times in just a few series.

Landry ate his lunch.

I saw enough 'healthy Fisher' to definitely NOT want him back. Guess i would have to watch some Bears Leno tape to help me understand Ballards choice. 

To me, Kelly seems to have the body of 35 year old. He knows What to do, he just lacks some of his old power and quickness to get'er done. Do what Belichek would do!

Let me ask a question of the members on this board. For those so high on Ballard as the GM and the fact that he has assembled a talented roster. Suppose Greenbay and Seattle were willing to trade Wilson and Rodgers. What players do you  think those teams want back in a trade from the Colts? Now think it through carefully!!

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree,  but Packers and Seahawks may trade them because of the log jam of qbs in the AFC. It would be harder for those 2 to win the superbowl. You trade them to an NFC team and the road is maybe easier.  The front offices of these 2 teams want to maximize their trade value a but they  also do not want it to come back and bite them in the ......

Oh i get why the teams want them out of the NFC.  I'm saying that if the QB has any say in where they go, and Rodgers does because he could just retire, I'd think he'd want to stay in the NFC.    Seems like a future standoff brewing, but there are rumors that Rodgers would like Denver.  Not sure that would be a short term winning strategy though.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask a question of the members on this board. For those so high on Ballard as the GM and the fact that he has assembled a talented roster. Suppose Greenbay and Seattle were willing to trade Wilson and Rodgers. What players do you  think those teams want back in a trade from the Colts? Now think it through carefully!!

2023 and 2024 1st round pick + Hines and Kelly - Have to throw in Wentz as well because of the Cap - that should do it for Wilson. If not then I would stick with Wentz. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Oh i get why the teams want them out of the NFC.  I'm saying that if the QB has any say in where they go, and Rodgers does because he could just retire, I'd think he'd want to stay in the NFC.    Seems like a future standoff brewing, but there are rumors that Rodgers would like Denver.  Not sure that would be a short term winning strategy though.

i think it is Denver and have said so and even possibly the Raiders. They have a talented roster. There is no way he is coming to Indy...no way. Nothing hear team wise that would attract him.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2023 and 2024 1st round pick + Hines and Kelly - Have to throw in Wentz as well because of the Cap - that should do it for Wilson. If not then I would stick with Wentz. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is no way a GM is trading for 2023 and 2024 1st rounders. He needs to show the fan base and ownership immediate results as he cannot wait a year for a talent to arrive. The GM making the trade is also going to be thinking of surviving this trade. You don't do that if you wait a year for  your results to bloom.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wilson isn't coming here.  His wife is a singer. Plus like keep saying. 

I was addressing your statement on why would he come here without more skill players on the roster and no 1st rd pick.  I was suggesting on how the Colts could accomplish that.  That should be pretty easy to comprehend.  Not whether he's coming or not.  

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

There is no way a GM is trading for 2023 and 2024 1st rounders. He needs to show the fan base and ownership immediate results as he cannot wait a year for a talent to arrive. The GM making the trade is also going to be thinking of surviving this trade. You don't do that if you wait a year for  your results to bloom.

Wilson is a franchise QB, you don't think he would win with Taylor, Pittman, Nelson, Smith and a D that creates turnovers with Leonard and Defo and Moore. Man you get better by the day haha .

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we had Rodgers or Wilson it would. When Wilson had Lynch he won a SB and should've won 2 with WR's that were MEH.

Their defense was better than their offense. Right now we have one excellent D-lineman, one ex LB, Moore and maybe Rock. Then meh!

Our o-line has big ? marks, TE A Big issue, and WR certainly needs considerable help.  That is the Rosey scenario we are selling.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Their defense was better than their offense. Right now we have one excellent D-lineman, one ex LB, Moore and maybe Rock. Then meh!

Our o-line has big ? marks, TE A Big issue, and WR certainly needs considerable help.  That is the Rosey scenario we are selling.

I get their D was awesome but Lynch is like Taylor, that in itself is a huge selling point. Our D plays bad at times because of the scheme. We still create a lot of TO's.

34 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Simple. They just want Hines in the passing game, to do at least what he did with Rivers. Hines doesn't have the switch that Hill does.

Pascal was very good with Rivers. 

Reich couldn't get good football 101, getting the quick tosses to our open receivers in the flats, nor throwing well into tight windows in the short to medium range. We will have another year of Reich/Wentz. Oh boy!

Reich isnt throwing the football. 

Also, you're arguing for medium/short routes while there's another group of former arguing that the HC was too conservative. Which is it?

Wentz was taking the concepts he likes, that's not on the HC. Rivers was here and threw to the RBs a lot, made Hines $. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wilson is a franchise QB, you don't think he would win with Taylor, Pittman, Nelson, Smith and a D that creates turnovers with Leonard and Defo and Moore. Man you get better by the day haha .

Colts are a 500 team. They are poor in pass blocking. Have no skill players at the wr  and te position. They create turnovers but cannot get off the field on 3rd down and cannot sack the qb. They lost 2 games at the end of the season with their play offs on the line. They lost to a 2-14 team when they got dominated in  every facet of the game. But yes you are right, it is an appealing situation for a franchise qb.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh and you are going to trade picks away to the team that is trading a franchise qb and therefore diminish your ability to get play makers that this team so desperately needs. 

Oh and you are going to trade picks away to the team that is trading a franchise qb and therefore diminish your ability to get play makers that this team so desperately needs. 

A franchise QB can make average WR's look good and Pittman is actually good. We have a RB that is great, I think he is the best, you give any franchise QB that you will win 11 or 12 games easily. 

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Both SEA and GB have salary cap issues.  They would not want Leonard.  They potentially would not want Nelson because they would have to sign him right away.  They would not want Braden Smith.  I cannot think of any good player on defense that doesn't already cost a lot of cap space.  Possibly RYS.

We would have to give up the only two promising players that we have that do something good with the football who do not cost a lot.  Pitt and JT.

Which would immediately cannibalize any chance of success AR or RW would have, and they would nix any trade like that.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get their D was awesome but Lynch is like Taylor, that in itself is a huge selling point. Our D plays bad at times because of the scheme. We still create a lot of TO's.

True, true, and true. And a good QB could look at Rivers success with Frank knowing that his likely stronger arm would help enhance that what Reich could scheme for. 
 And Ballard will be swinging the bat to improve our holes. lol

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A franchise QB can make average WR's look good and Pittman is actually good. We have a RB that is great, I think he is the best, you give any franchise QB that you will win 11 or 12 games easily. 

I agree that a franchise qb such as Wilson and Rodgers could take them to the promised land. My point is that I don't think the talent that Ballard has assembled is that appealing to say a Wilson or Rodgers. Plus they do not have the draft capital.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

True, true, and true. And a good QB could look at Rivers success with Frank knowing that his likely stronger arm would help enhance that what Reich could scheme for. 
 And Ballard will be swinging the bat to improve our holes. lol

Our D has the potential of being great but the scheme is bad. I would blitz Leonard more that is for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree that a franchise qb such as Wilson and Rodgers could take them to the promised land. My point is that I don't think the talent that Ballard has assembled is that appealing to say a Wilson or Rodgers. Plus they do not have the draft capital.

We will see what the Colts do, it will be interesting. I don't hate Wentz and think he is good at times but if we keep him and he goes up against someone like Mahomes or Allen in a playoff situation, I give us very little chance. Yeah we killed Buffalo but regular season is different compared to post season.

We will see what the Colts do, it will be interesting. I don't hate Wentz and think he is good at times but if we keep him and he goes up against someone like Mahomes or Allen in a playoff situation, I give us very little chance. Yeah we killed Buffalo but regular season is different compared to post season.

see that is the error with everyone's thinking around here. It is not about Wentz going up against Mahommes and Allen. It is about the Colts team going up against them. I just dont think they are built in the right manner to take them on right now.

see that is the error with everyone's thinking around here. It is not about Wentz going up against Mahommes and Allen. It is about the Colts team going up against them. I just dont think they are built in the right manner to take them on right now.

Not really an error because you need a QB that can score a lot now days to keep up. Chiefs are going to score 24-30 points most games. Unless you have a D like the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears than you need to outscore them and create turnovers.

Not really an error because you need a QB that can score a lot now days to keep up. Chiefs are going to score 24-30 points most games. Unless you have a D like the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears than you need to outscore them and create turnovers.

case in point Tennesee??

Archived