Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Okay so lets say Seattle offers Wilson. Now they want you 2 1sts and a player say Pittman or Taylor. Now you make the trade and you have no 1st this year and no 1st for 2023 and 2024 and also had to give up Taylor. Now you have Wilson and who else? If Wilson goes up it will be at least 2 1sts and then..........................

But the thing is...SEA wouldn't really want Taylor (or Pitt), at least not bad enough to take him in lieu of big chunk of draft capital (which is how IND would value them). It doesn't make sense for a team that wants to win a SB to rob Peter to pay Paul.

A rebuilding team like SEA doesn't really need a stud RB who will be due a mega-contract in two years either. He would likely just end up being a great RB on a bad team...and then they would have to pay him or trade him in a year or so. As for Pitt, they already have two really good WRs (and just spent a 2nd round pick on another), so that doesn't really work. 

This is why players rarely get traded for players (especially a great QB), because players have different values to different teams, depending on all types of factors. It's very rare for two teams to value a player the same. So draft capital has become the universal currency that two teams can come to an agreement on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DougDew said:

He was asking who the Colts could offer since we don't have the most premium of premium picks.  Prompting people to actually think instead of wish. 

If Wentz = Goff, DET traded away their star QB to to get a starter in return, because they were a rebuilding team.  If SEA and GB want Wentz in return, then SEA would need to be rebuilding and GB would have to ignore Love on their roster.  Wentz is useless to GB and I doubt that Wentz' so called personality baggage would fly in such an enlightened area as SEA.   He's not a piece in the AR or RW trade argument like Goff was for LAR.

We can go point by point, but the reality is that the Colts have few assets compared to other teams to land a QB.  We have no first round pick and our best young players have expensive new contracts.  Bad timing for a trade. 

If people want to link that reality back to Ballard, then they are having an argument with themselves that maybe they don't like having.

I don’t see Wentz as being useless to GB.  If they rolled with Love next year, I don’t think they’d be the favorites to win the NFC North.  But if they had Carson, I think they would still be viewed as the division favorites.  

Carson is a great 1 year transitional QB.  And if it didn’t work out they could release him with no further cap hit.  So they don’t have to be in rebuild mode but they could quickly pivot to that if they wanted to.  We also have to factor in that Rodgers’ contract is a burden to their cap.  They really don’t have much leverage if he forces his hand.  

Whoever takes him would actually be doing GB a favor (that’s if he forced his way out).  I could see a situation where we might have to include Pittman in the deal (he and Wentz have chemistry) with the idea that we would sign Adams to come to town with Rodgers.

Considering the bind that both teams are in or could be in with their QB situations, I actually think it’s a good trade for both teams.  But that vax situation is the primary obstacle for me.

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But the thing is...SEA wouldn't really want Taylor (or Pitt), at least not bad enough to take him in lieu of big chunk of draft capital (which is how IND would value them). It doesn't make sense for a team that wants to win a SB to rob Peter to pay Paul.

A rebuilding team like SEA doesn't really need a stud RB who will be due a mega-contract in two years either. He would likely just end up being a great RB on a bad team...and then they would have to pay him or trade him in a year or so. As for Pitt, they already have two really good WRs (and just spent a 2nd round pick on another), so that doesn't really work. 

This is why players rarely get traded for players (especially a great QB), because players have different values to different teams, depending on all types of factors. It's very rare for two teams to value a player the same. So draft capital has become the universal currency that two teams can come to an agreement on.

The players that would get traded are the players who have little draft capital value, or a player viewed as a cornerstone that they typically do a sign and trade deal.  Like Ballard did with Defo.

Its likely that the only player that another club would view as a trade and sign is Nelson.  Trade Nelson, and players like Oke, and Willis ( if they fit any needs that SEA might have) plus the draft picks negotiated.  

Pitt could be viewed as a cheap replacement for either DK or Lockett, so they do not have to sign both at times relatively close together.

Agree about JT.  I do not think that other clubs view a RB as an essential piece to their offense like we seem to value the RB.

18 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t see Wentz as being useless to GB.  If they rolled with Love next year, I don’t think they’d be the favorites to win the NFC North.  But if they had Carson, I think they would still be viewed as the division favorites.  

Carson is a great 1 year transitional QB.  And if it didn’t work out they could release him with no further cap hit.  So they don’t have to be in rebuild mode but they could quickly pivot to that if they wanted to.  We also have to factor in that Rodgers’ contract is a burden to their cap.  They really don’t have much leverage if he forces his hand.  

Whoever takes him would actually be doing GB a favor (that’s if he forced his way out).  I could see a situation where we might have to include Pittman in the deal (he and Wentz have chemistry) with the idea that we would sign Adams to come to town with Rodgers.

Considering the bind that both teams are in or could be in with their QB situations, I actually think it’s a good trade for both teams.  But that vax situation is the primary obstacle for me.

Carson would be a one year Qb with a huge cap hit to a team that has its future Qb on the roster.  I think GB would roll with Love and make an assessment on him sooner than later.

Since NFL players lives do not seem to be at risk because of COVID, and there has never been protocols around seasonal flu viruses (in which a contagious wave of said virus could ruin a playoff chance), the COVID vax status thing seems to be following the path of labeling and shunning players, not dissimilar to what was  done to average people back in the 1730s with a Scarlett Letter   Our owner is stuck in tired and old style thinking it seems.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

In the position that he is in, he should be cautious about appearing to take sides, even if he is not.  Giving advice to a camera inherently makes certain assumptions about the audience.  First off, that they need advice from him.

If he's giving advice to someone who brought up a concern about their specific situation, that's different.  But that wouldn't be on a Twitter video.

This is such an incredibly pointless take. Have fun with it.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is such an incredibly pointless take. Have fun with it.

Not much room for substance when the thread and ensuing comments are incredibly pointless.   This is a 13 page thread that I have mostly stayed out of for that reason.  Started by the idea that the owner lets out coded messages or dog whistle fodder that's  insight into what he's thinking. 

It would be nice if the guy just said something both material and straightforward from his perspective as an owner of a team that we all enjoy rather than offering wisdoms about life.  Which probably aren't even right.

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I just dont get it why people are so focused on Wentz. When i look at the landscape it is very ominous for the Colts. They dont have  a franchise qb. They dont have the skills players to make an average qb look above average. They dont have the Dline to go up against the likes of Mahommes, Herbert, Burrow, Allen and even Lamar. Just look at those names and it makes me cringe. The sad part is that they are going to be around for another 10+ plus years. Just look at the Titans. They have some skill players, a good Oline and a crzy Dline. The difference. They have an average qb and the other guy they played is an elite qb who made an elite play to set up the field goal. Sure the Niners have a great Dline and that may get them so far. They mostly constructed that Dline from picking in the top 10, which the Colts have not done. They have invested a ton of 2nd rounders with no real results to show for it. Honestly when I watch the games, I am not sure which way the Colts should go. Part of me is like blow the whole thing up because I truly dont know if you can win in todays game without the guy. No one has done it for a long time. When a defense does win a superbowl with an average qb it is just one year and that team falls back down to earth the next year. It seems you need a franchise qb, skills players, Oline made out of mid round picks and a Dline that can rush the passer. Just my thought

You are right, we have what I would call a foundation of players with which to build upon along with several above average players: Nelson, Taylor on offense and Leonard, Moore and Buckner on defense.  But that is not enough. 

We can win with Wentz if he had a DYNAMIC playmaker at WR which would allow Pittman to be steady eddie - aka we need our Marvin/T.Y. to Pittman being our new Reggie.....is there a Free Agent that we could sign that would be our new Marvin/T.Y. ? 

Defensively the jury is out on Paye and Dayo but I believe Ballard hit a homerun there last draft and they will turn into a good duo on the outside with Buckner and Stewart in the middle. I wouldn't be mad if they added a consistent pass rushing DE and allow Dayo to play the role of Sheard - DE on running downs, slide into Stewarts spot on passing downs. Is there a FA out there that could fill that role for us?

Is there a young veteran OT out there that we could sign to replace Fisher?

Is there a young veteran CB that we could sign to be a starter so one of Rodgers or Rock could slide back to depth?

Would Ballard even use any of our FA money to sign any of those "upgrades"? Remains to be seen. I know when he was in Chicago and Kansas City they drafted well, but, they also spent money on the "right" free agents. Perhaps he will tap into that past to preserve the Colts future?

4 hours ago, Superman said:

This whole "focus on" angle needs to stop. People can spend time and attention on more than one thing, we all do. We have jobs, family, hobbies, etc., and we balance our time and energy between them all. It's a trademark of a well rounded adult human.

The 'he should stop doing x, and focus on y' argument is disingenuous, shallow, and petty. Not just about Irsay. Always.

I love this comment. Absolutely love it. 

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its so revealing on how in the perpetual chicken or the egg situations, your world always puts it back on to Frank.

If we had upgraded talent that weren't just X's, Frank would probably call more non X routes.

Why doesn't Frank let TY run slants, 9s, etc. instead of flat and sideline possession routes? He's still a 4.4s guy.

Why doesn't Frank let Pittman run more slants, 9s, and 50/50s. Wentz was top 10 in deep ball accuracy, and Pitt was near tops in the league in contested catches. We saw how good he was in a few games, but we forgot about it, just like we forgot about sail routes to Mo after the MN game last year.... 

10 hours ago, Shive said:

What work does he need to do? He hired a GM and HC to do all of that work. If he starts to do work, he's meddling, which tends not to go well.

Tons of owners are active, some more than others. And most owners do become more involved when there are bad trends or big dollar decisions. Even Ballard has said he at minimum gives Jim a weekly readout. We also know that Jim is involved in big decision like QB, and other big acquisitions (like Defo). 

Overall, an owner being active isn't meddling. It's his team. It's a business. I've ran businesses for owners, and there's always various levels of involvement. I think your construct of what team management should look like, is probably less reality than you think. And let's not forget, Jim was the team's GM for years. It's fair to point out that he probably wasn't great at it, but he's not some clueless owner (like some) that doesn't know the game.

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

A couple nights ago i watched some of the Titans-KC playoff game from 2018 i think..

Fisher squared up with Harold Landry nicely for the initial contact.

Landry quickly made a counter move and Fisher immediately lost him.

This happened numerous times in just a few series.

Landry ate his lunch.

I saw enough 'healthy Fisher' to definitely NOT want him back. Guess i would have to watch some Bears Leno tape to help me understand Ballards choice. 

To me, Kelly seems to have the body of 35 year old. He knows What to do, he just lacks some of his old power and quickness to get'er done. Do what Belichek would do!

Pretty sure I've watched the same tape. And that was Landry's rook year too.

But yes, there is tons of tape out there showing Fisher on skates pre-injury. 

Add in the injury/recovery on top of that, and it's just something that should give anyone pause.

I watched a decent amount of tape of Leno back when things were going down. Not going to act like he was All-Pro LT in every rep I watched, but he was as good or better than Fisher in most aspects (and was good on bad OL), and he did not have the early availability or recovery concerns that Fisher had. 

Like I've said before, I think Ballard was blinded a bit by familiarity with Fisher. I'm going to bet though that he learned from the situation. We'll see if we re-sign... 

I'm just not sure what's going on with Kelly. Like you said, he knows what to do. Not sure how much the early injury (elbow) impacted him, but he seemed to look a little suspect last year too. He's not bad by any means. Just not himself, not what we expected, and not performing at the level of pay. Pinter performing like a stud sure does make it interesting. I've always really liked Kelly, but didn't care the money we threw at him. Gonna be interesting.

Overall, I think we're going to have to make some "cost" moves given the amount of FAs we have at key positions, the cap situation, etc.. Pinter and Pryor are nice guys to have as depth, but both made strong arguments for larger roles, and would definitely help the cost aspects. 

7 hours ago, gspdx said:

Maybe I missed something.  Did Irsay target this at Wentz?

Ok so 3 days later I finally decided to watch the video.

Irsay told the parable of a man stuck in his house during a flood.

I heard nothing about a qb or a shot at Wentz or anything about vaccinations.

I guess I am agreeing with you 

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I could be missing something but the shot at Wentz was the tweet mentioned in the very first post in this thread where he talks about having to have a QB and offense that can score 30+.  So I believe that’s what people are taking as a shot at Wentz.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:48 AM, Smoke317 said:

I’m sure PFF probably says our pass protection was trash all on their own but I believe they’ll bounce back and perform much better with a QB like Rodgers who can read a defense and diagnose pre snap where he wants to go with the ball ala Rivers.  Also, I’d expect us to commit to bringing in more weapons. Most likely even Adams if Rodgers wanted him.

Also you have to factor in the swap of Wentz & Rodgers salaries on the cap.  Don’t know how much difference they’d have in pay but that difference would be the only added cap increase.  And I’m not saying he’s afraid of Mahomes & Herbert but the AFC South provides a much better opportunity to potentially get home field advantage and just get in the dance.

And I think Rodgers would probably be just fine in the Carmel or Geist areas during the football season.  The vax rant could be a deal breaker for either Irsay or Rodgers.  So that one is hard to reconcile.

Sons a GB fan.  Love Rodgers to the Colts.  But he holds a long time. He’s go a quick release but often takes a lot oF TTT.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, this is moosejaw's stated argument, plain as day. 

As for the rest, mental gymnastics in an effort to pretend that the Colts can't make a deal if they wanted. (Seattle would be rebuilding if they got rid of Russell, btw.) As I said, the Colts would have to sweeten the deal to really compete. And if a team with multiple 2022 firsts (Eagles, Giants, Jets) got involved, the Colts would be outbid. Other than that, they can work a deal for a QB, if they want.

Yes, it would be more difficult because we don't have a 2022 first. (And ultimately I don't think it's in the cards in the first place.) But the idea that I'm responding to -- that the Colts don't have any players to offer in a trade for a QB -- is wrong from the start. The Colts actually do have players to trade, but more importantly, QBs aren't traded for other play

We have JT and Pitt.  Paye possibly Dayo.  Maybe Rock.  Nelson as a short term rental.

Most of the other guys are paid at (like Smith) or above (like Kelly) their value to winning.  Overall, guys performing above their pay are assets and guys performing at their pay are neutral except the occasional QB, DE or LT (especially Bill o Brien).

couple years ago we had the same players on rookie deals performing all pro level Nelson, Leonard and other guys at pro bowl level Smith, that were huge assets in trades, but not nearly as much now.

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I want to believe this.

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Just wondering if their is some Chemistry involved with all these bizzare hypotheticals? Dream ON Dream On...

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Tons of owners are active, some more than others. And most owners do become more involved when there are bad trends or big dollar decisions. Even Ballard has said he at minimum gives Jim a weekly readout. We also know that Jim is involved in big decision like QB, and other big acquisitions (like Defo). 

Overall, an owner being active isn't meddling. It's his team. It's a business. I've ran businesses for owners, and there's always various levels of involvement. I think your construct of what team management should look like, is probably less reality than you think. And let's not forget, Jim was the team's GM for years. It's fair to point out that he probably wasn't great at it, but he's not some clueless owner (like some) that doesn't know the game.

I remember watching the live announcement when Irsay announced Grigson as GM. And with Grigson and Chuck together. Irsay was all puffed up full of himself telling us he would "Mentor them".

It was reported Irsay contacted Detroit on the Richardson deal. And i remember watching live Irsay announcing the signing of Gosder and again he was puffed up how he had made Gos the highest paid RT. Man was he proud of himself. I have zero doubt that most of the questionable roster decisions occuring during Grigson and Chucks first contracts had Irsays meddling all over them. And that is why he signed them back together, out of guilt. Did Irsay mentor Ballard's 1st draft to appease Chuck?

His 'head' is much clearer now than back then, though his decision to hang onto TY for $8M rather than to use that to help sign ?, could have made the difference of his team making this playoffs. Did his going soft hurt the team on the field?

Also, pondering how to reconcile these Ballard years of building a high character roster under Preacher Frank and then Irsay casting doubt on being All-In.

We have lots of work to do, big decisions to make. It has been years of squeaky clean, kumbayaa. lol 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Why doesn't Frank let TY run slants, 9s, etc. instead of flat and sideline possession routes? He's still a 4.4s guy.

Why doesn't Frank let Pittman run more slants, 9s, and 50/50s. Wentz was top 10 in deep ball accuracy, and Pitt was near tops in the league in contested catches. We saw how good he was in a few games, but we forgot about it, just like we forgot about sail routes to Mo after the MN game last year.... 

Did Frank let TY run those routes before this season?  You make it sound like Frank is too dumb to know that TY is fast.

Why does a high success rate mean that more of it should be done?  You keep coming back to this way of thinking with many other subjects too.  A success rate tells us that the decision of when to do something succeeded.  That the decision maker used good judgment about when to use it given the situations.  That's all that it says.  It doesn't say anything about how many other times he should have used it when he didn't.  You keep thinking that a high success rate means that he should have just used those plays more when he didn't. 

For someone who seems to focus on stats, you consistently display less than a working knowledge about how to use them or analyze them.

11 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The parable is about a man, facing danger, relies upon his instinct, gut feeling, intuition, small f faith; and rejects the stranger at his door that has "expert credentials".  That's one interpretation.   The parable has a point.  Its not just an interesting tale.  

11 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

It’s about god sending a man signs for help and he rejects the help. Irsay was relaying it to vaccinations. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I remember watching the live announcement when Irsay announced Grigson as GM. And with Grigson and Chuck together. Irsay was all puffed up full of himself telling us he would "Mentor them".

It was reported Irsay contacted Detroit on the Richardson deal. And i remember watching live Irsay announcing the signing of Gosder and again he was puffed up how he had made Gos the highest paid RT. Man was he proud of himself. I have zero doubt that most of the questionable roster decisions occuring during Grigson and Chucks first contracts had Irsays meddling all over them. And that is why he signed them back together, out of guilt. Did Irsay mentor Ballard's 1st draft to appease Chuck?

His 'head' is much clearer now than back then, though his decision to hang onto TY for $8M rather than to use that to help sign ?, could have made the difference of his team making this playoffs. Did his going soft hurt the team on the field?

Also, pondering how to reconcile these Ballard years of building a high character roster under Preacher Frank and then Irsay casting doubt on being All-In.

We have lots of work to do, big decisions to make. It has been years of squeaky clean, kumbayaa. lol 

I also remember Irsay tweeting about $100M in a suitcase for FAs and about the their FA “pillaging.”

I think it’s very possible there was some serious meddling going on in those first couple of years…or at least he was fairly involved in those decisions and contracts (remember how they would never let FAs leave the building). 

Also, consider the off-field stuff that happened right around and after that time as well. Irsay was battling some serious demons when it came to substance abuse/addiction…and eventually hit rock bottom that resulted in legal issues, a suspension and really bad PR for the team.

I have always thought this was context that seems to get ignored when people bash Grigson and/or blame Grigson for the failures of that era.

If Irsay was doing this stuff with Ballard, I think it would be seen very differently. 

Jim is an interesting owner. He obviously doesn’t follow the old mafia code of never letting people know what you think. 
To me, it’s not the best thing to strategically tip your hand, which can limit you on the trade value of the individual you are cryptically tweeting about. 
I get the disappointment, but a more quiet and less emotionless analysis is required. The Ravens went through similar disappointments , but their brain trust is quietly evaluating things and making the necessary changes. 
I just don’t see how those tweets help the situation  

49 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Jim is an interesting owner. He obviously doesn’t follow the old mafia code of never letting people know what you think. 
To me, it’s not the best thing to strategically tip your hand, which can limit you on the trade value of the individual you are cryptically tweeting about. 
I get the disappointment, but a more quiet and less emotionless analysis is required. The Ravens went through similar disappointments , but their brain trust is quietly evaluating things and making the necessary changes. 
I just don’t see how those tweets help the situation  

I think someone has to be the adult in the room to be "good" at business.  

Adulting often involves reserve, calm, and PR.

That's why the ole Nickster ain't in business. 

Archived