Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyle

JediXMan

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I want them to retire because it allows us to move ok and actually upgrade. Then if pascal goes too that 3 spots we can get better at.

I agree - a young TE that is a pass catcher and re-signing Cox to fill Doyle's role would be more dynamic.

Losing Pascal's blocking would suck, but a receiver that has some wiggle to him to get open would be great.

Losing TY but replacing him with a bigger, stronger deep threat would be nice. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ebron had 13 TD. Reich has made it known How much he loves having that kind of TE. We haven’t had that since Ebron. Why do you think Reich was excited about Granson. Even Ballard said they still need to find that TE.

Ebron had 13 TDs because Luck ran the offense and we had Wayne and Hilton to take pressure off the TEs...don't let FR steal ALs or PRs thunder. Good coaches find ways to make mediocre talent took better but Frank fails unless he has superb talent. When he had on good year in Philly he had the best TE room in football with great WRs to always keep things open.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, gspdx said:

I get the idea but...

• Will Nelson agree to trade friendly deal?  I can't say I know exactly what that means, but if Nelson doesn't get the deal he wants he just plays out the year.  Then what?
  • Why would SF even want Wentz?
  • SF is already poised to move on from Garoppolo.  There is a reason for that.  I actually like the guy but is he really worth all of this?  Can he take us to a Superbowl?  If not I don't see the point.
  • Do you think SF is willing to move to their new, young, QB without having Kittle as a great option in the passing game?

I understand lots of people are looking for ways to upgrade/improve but this just doesn't seem realistic.  Plus I feel like any move to get another middle of the pack QB is not worth it.  Now if SF goes deep into the playoffs and Jimmy looks good that could change the story, but then it will also change his value.

Jimmy G is light years ahead of Wentz. Carson is a brainless tool who tries to hard... he can't make layups because he doesn't see the lane to get to the hoop. He's stuck behind the 3 point line for life...

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree - a young TE that is a pass catcher and re-signing Cox to fill Doyle's role would be more dynamic.

Losing Pascal's blocking would suck, but a receiver that has some wiggle to him to get open would be great.

Losing TY but replacing him with a bigger, stronger deep threat would be nice. 

I agree about Pascals blocking if the price is right I'd bring him back. But I think he will want more than his worth for being solid for us with an avg WR room. TY should be gone. I don't like the idea of keeping Doyle if he is thinking retirement. 

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Jimmy G is light years ahead of Wentz. Carson is a brainless tool who tries to hard... he can't make layups because he doesn't see the lane to get to the hoop. He's stuck behind the 3 point line for life...

Light years huh?  Well - your opinion.  I don't see light years.  Better - yes.  But if Jimmy G was a franchise QB why would SF have already drafted his replacement?  Brainless tool?  I guess being one of 32 starting NFL QBs doesn't qualify for being a little bit smart.  Lots of drama here with little substance.

And your post about the trade idea seems way off, but you didn't respond to that. 

18 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Light years huh?  Well - your opinion.  I don't see light years.  Better - yes.  But if Jimmy G was a franchise QB why would SF have already drafted his replacement?  Brainless tool?  I guess being one of 32 starting NFL QBs doesn't qualify for being a little bit smart.  Lots of drama here with little substance.

And your post about the trade idea seems way off, but you didn't respond to that. 

Wentz is the most careless starter there is especially for being in the league 7 seasons now and still can't audible correctly, check down, or throw a ball away. I rather have JB again over CW. He doesn't handle pressure and critism well either. I promise he will only regress as he is questioned. He is weak minded...

I’m not really all in on Moe.  I know he has developed nicely but to resign him to a deal paying him 7m or so as being suggested seems rich to me.  There is nothing to suggest that Reich really values him.  Good blocker but our receivers were weak this year and he didn’t get as many targets as I thought he would get.  I’m thinking if Doyle retires then we go out and sign one of the better FA tight ends and let Moe go too.  Keep Granson and draft another TE.  Maybe even sign a FB to replace Mack if we want a good athletic blocker to fill Moe’s blocking role. 

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Doyle has been one of my favorite players. He was rather important for us this past year...even though the season was a big disappointment.

I thought he played much better than any of our other TEs

If he does not retire, I will be happy!

O'doyle rules... he has been a silent solid stud over the years. But if he is thinking retirement his hearts not in it anymore, CW2 killed his spirit...

7 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Stats will disagree with your opinion. Carson had less int and only 3 more sacks with more passing attempts and 1 more game.  

Screenshot_20220121-220049_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

Stats will disagree with your opinion. Carson had less int and only 3 more sacks with more passing attempts and 1 more game.  

Screenshot_20220121-220049_Chrome.jpg

Once again Wents lucked out with how many of his INTs were dropped by defenders. He also fumbled a lot some not his fault but some because he recklessly tried to make a play instead of going down or throwing it away...Garappolo plays in the toughest Division in football with some of the best secondaries...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, richard pallo said:

I’m not really all in on Moe.  I know he has developed nicely but to resign him to a deal paying him 7m or so as being suggested seems rich to me.  There is nothing to suggest that Reich really values him.  Good blocker but our receivers were weak this year and he didn’t get as many targets as I thought he would get.  I’m thinking if Doyle retires then we go out and sign one of the better FA tight ends and let Moe go too.  Keep Granson and draft another TE.  Maybe even sign a FB to replace Mack if we want a good athletic blocker to fill Moe’s blocking role. 

I certainly think its time for Doyle to go.  Definitely think we need to add a more Ebron like tight end.

Im okay with bringing Mo Cox back but I felt like he didnt win that many one on one matchups when 

we tried to hit him up this year. Instead he would get blanketed.  I didn't think his year was all that great. 

If we can bring a young athletic tight end in with a similar size and skill set as Ebron(better blocker though) and match him up with Granson and Mo Cox I think that would be a very solid get. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:16 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Respectfully

BOTH of these QBs are middle of the pack players.... 

Wentz has ONE receiving weapon, 30th ranked pass blocking group, and a defense that gives up games in Q4

Jimmy G has better weapons and a line that blocks better

Wentz, with the SF defense, and ONE additional weapon wins at least 3 more games, and maybe ONE playoff game

We would have won the Balt game, Raiders game, TB, Rams, AND the 2nd Titans game........

Wentz is NOT Manning, Brady, or Farve

But.....

Block better than 30th for the guy

Give him a full camp

Give him at least ONE additional weapon

Get a DE that can actually rush the passer

This team wins 12 games and a 18th ranked QB now is ranked 12.... which is good enough in my book until a franchise QB comes in range (Maybe next year)

On 1/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Once again Wents lucked out with how many of his INTs were dropped by defenders. He also fumbled a lot some not his fault but some because he recklessly tried to make a play instead of going down or throwing it away...Garappolo plays in the toughest Division in football with some of the best secondaries...

I get the frustration...

But Jimmy G, is in the same "ball park" as value as Wentz (Its close) Different styles..... for SURE

.... but neither is the long term answer at QB

We ALREADY have a flawed, NON franchise QB, WHY give up ANYTHING to get ANOTHER flawed non-franchise QB?

There is a REASON why Jimmy G, is now looking to be on his THIRD team

We just brought the average looking girl to the prom... paid for the nice corsage, 

Why leave her for another average looking girl at the SAME prom????????

Why not see if the "hot girl" will go with you to the prom NEXT YEAR

(Hopefully she has a good personality :) )

43 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully

BOTH of these QBs are middle of the pack players.... 

Wentz has ONE receiving weapon, 30th ranked pass blocking group, and a defense that gives up games in Q4

Jimmy G has better weapons and a line that blocks better

Wentz, with the SF defense, and ONE additional weapon wins at least 3 more games, and maybe ONE playoff game

We would have won the Balt game, Raiders game, TB, Rams, AND the 2nd Titans game........

Wentz is NOT Manning, Brady, or Farve

But.....

Block better than 30th for the guy

Give him a full camp

Give him at least ONE additional weapon

Get a DE that can actually rush the passer

This team wins 12 games and a 18th ranked QB now is ranked 12.... which is good enough in my book until a franchise QB comes in range (Maybe next year)

This is very optimistic but there’s still two major tendencies that’s he’s refusing to improve on. 1) He’s refusal to know when a play is over and either take the sack or throw it away. 2). He’s refusal to take the check down and short passes when it’s there. Hines suffered the most this season while he thrived with Rivers. 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We would if we actually had a stud.  MAC is just who he is. He has hit his ceiling. He just isn’t going to be more then he is. 

implying that Doyle isn't a stud?  Dude is great.  He's not great at any one thing, but being solid at everything rounds up to greatness anyway.  It's just a pity there's been turmoil on the team for the later part of his career.

42 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Why not see if the "hot girl" will go with you to the prom NEXT YEAR

(Hopefully she has a good personality :) )

Poor analogy. :D

The average looking girl has faced more diversity, is usually far more interesting, and is not full of herself. The hot one looks good hanging on your arm. That's about it. But....I get your intent. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:27 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Tom Brady was QB he would probably make Mo look like Gronk and Pittman look like Evans lmao  especially with Taylor at RB, sounds funny but I wouldn't doubt it. Mo is very athletic and Pittman has good potential.

Straight line speed is not "athletic" in my football terms. Mo is anything but athletic. I watch him attempt to redirect on a short route ala Kelsey, and he is ABYSIMAL. 
 One thing that separates the good from the medioce is football IQ.

Mo is... doing the best he can.

17 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

This is very optimistic but there’s still two major tendencies that’s he’s refusing to improve on. 1) He’s refusal to know when a play is over and either take the sack or throw it away. 2). He’s refusal to take the check down and short passes when it’s there. Hines suffered the most this season while he thrived with Rivers. 

I dont disagree, 

Wentz needs a LOT of work

Hopefully he works on some of these things in the offseason

I hope that he fixes them.... AND...... we build the team around him

The QB in 2023 WILL NEED THESE weapons (Whomever that QB is)

On 1/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Wentz is the most careless starter there is especially for being in the league 7 seasons now and still can't audible correctly, check down, or throw a ball away. I rather have JB again over CW. He doesn't handle pressure and critism well either. I promise he will only regress as he is questioned. He is weak minded...

Nonsense.   Good lord

On 2/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, jvan1973 said:

Nonsense.   Good lord

Went really didn't do that much better than Brissett, you know.  and quite frankly Wentz had more veteran talent around him, especially at WR.

Personally I'd like to take a flier on Garoppolo, even if it means eating money on Wentz.  What we got out of Wentz was not adequate this year.  He took the easiest QB job in the entire league, with Jonathan Taylor doing most of the heavy lifting all year, and still managed to not make the playoffs.  He had the season gift wrapped and still didn't get it done.  We shoulda been at least a wild card team.

Granted he looked better on the whole than he did the prior year in Philly, but he had everything he needed to thrive and turned in a mediocre result.  We can do better.  aAnd if we're going to get to the next level we NEED to.  This was a huge lost opportunity as our boys start to get expensive.  We need to be making runs this year, not patting ourselves on the back for advancing a QB from terrible to below average.  If we don't start to see better results in the next 2 years Irsay's probably going to blow it up.  Time for Ballard to stop getting cute and trying to outsmart himself and start actually competing at a high level

13 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Went really didn't do that much better than Brissett, you know.  and quite frankly Wentz had more veteran talent around him, especially at WR.

Personally I'd like to take a flier on Garoppolo, even if it means eating money on Wentz.  What we got out of Wentz was not adequate this year.  He took the easiest QB job in the entire league, with Jonathan Taylor doing most of the heavy lifting all year, and still managed to not make the playoffs.  He had the season gift wrapped and still didn't get it done.  We shoulda been at least a wild card team.

Granted he looked better on the whole than he did the prior year in Philly, but he had everything he needed to thrive and turned in a mediocre result.  We can do better.  aAnd if we're going to get to the next level we NEED to.  This was a huge lost opportunity as our boys start to get expensive.  We need to be making runs this year, not patting ourselves on the back for advancing a QB from terrible to below average.  If we don't start to see better results in the next 2 years Irsay's probably going to blow it up.  Time for Ballard to stop getting cute and trying to outsmart himself and start actually competing at a high level

I don’t know if this team is in position to take a flier. I disagree he had everything he needed too.

Interesting how after the season ended,  Ballard thought both Doyle and TYH would decide in roughly 7-10 days.  That was early to mid-January.   Now, here we are in mid-February and….   Nothing. 

Now that the SB is over and the off-season is in full swing, I’d guess we could have a decision soon.   Not much of a guess really,  as we’re running out of time….   

On 1/21/2022 at 3:05 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I want them to retire because it allows us to move ok and actually upgrade. Then if pascal goes too that 3 spots we can get better at.

Ballard : I like our Wr room. 
pascal doesn’t start on no other team in nfl but colts 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting how after the season ended,  Ballard thought both Doyle and TYH would decide in roughly 7-10 days.  That was early to mid-January.   Now, here we are in mid-February and….   Nothing. 

Now that the SB is over and the off-season is in full swing, I’d guess we could have a decision soon.   Not much of a guess really,  as we’re running out of time….   

No news is good news??? Does that mean we assume they want to come back? Is the ball in their court or Ballard's court now as to what to do? Has Ballard done another press conference with any questions about their statuses since then?

I like MAC, but it seems like every time you think he’s going to emerge, he suffers a nagging injury setback.  

I like and respect Doyle, but I hope he retires, for I feel like if he returns, the TE unit is being held back.  It needs to evolve, get better.  I don’t feel like his return creates a needed upgrade to the position group.

I think the WR group remains the bigger issue in need of upgrading, though.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

billy-madison-adam-sandler.gif

Idc what anyone says, Doyle has been a stud since he's been here. 

If he retires, I wish him nothing but the best! 

He’s been an overachiever and an every man’s man. Kudos to Doyle! But he is not and never has been a real game changing playmaker. More of a reliable plodder.  The TE group needs an upgrade.

3 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Ballard : I like our Wr room. 
pascal doesn’t start on no other team in nfl but colts 

Ballard likes our WR room?  Seriously.  What is he smoking?  Cowherd called our WR room bottom 10.  My guess he is not alone in thinking that.  We as fans know he's right.  Yet Ballard likes our WR room.  It's a statement like that that really makes you wonder about his ability to evaluate receivers.  Good grief! 

27 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

Are you serious. Jacoby only threw 18 touchdowns to 6 int. To Wentz 27 touchdowns to 7 int.  Jacoby also had a lower completion percentage .Thats funny

Jimmy Garbage has the exact same issues as Wentz  but you want to lose even more picks for no upgrade? 

If they do go for Jimmy that tells me they want the QB who will take the "lay ups" so to speak. They might feel that's the upgrade they need coupled with the fact that he has won a lot of games and playoff games too.  It shouldn't take a lot of picks to get Jimmy compared to Rodgers or Wilson.  Who knows it could just be a player and a mid round pick. 

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If they do go for Jimmy that tells me they want the QB who will take the "lay ups" so to speak. They might feel that's the upgrade they need coupled with the fact that he has won a lot of games and playoff games too.  It shouldn't take a lot of picks to get Jimmy compared to Rodgers or Wilson.  Who knows it could just be a player and a mid round pick. 

That's just change for the sake of change.    Which would get Ballard sent packing.  Not going to happen 

11 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

That's just change for the sake of change.    Which would get Ballard sent packing.  Not going to happen 

Ballard would not think of it that way.  You would but he wouldn’t.  He wouldn’t do it unless he viewed it as an upgrade and convinced Irsay it was as well.  Not saying it will but it could happen.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's kind of weird we haven't heard anything from Doyle and TY still... they were supposed to take a couple weeks and decide, but it's been over a month now. I wonder if we should be reading anything into it... 

Yep.  Luck is coming back!!!!!  Let the rumors begin.  LOL.  

Archived