Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

badgley vs blankenship

carmelcolt

So since joining the Colts Bagdley is 7/7 on FG(not sure what longest is) and 19/19 PAT. So when Blankenship is healthy what do the colts do? I've like the specs but  would cringe when he lined up for long ones. I've heard part of Micheal Badgley's issue was accuracy. So far so good, maybe the colts had him change something that helped in that area. I guess this is a good problem to have.

55 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

So since joining the Colts Bagdley is 7/7 on FG(not sure what longest is) and 19/19 PAT. So when Blankenship is healthy what do the colts do? I've like the specs but  would cringe when he lined up for long ones. I've heard part of Micheal Badgley's issue was accuracy. So far so good, maybe the colts had him change something that helped in that area. I guess this is a good problem to have.

Actually Badgley has always been accurate that has never been the issue so any report other is off base. He is a perfect  35 of 35 on fg 39 and under for his career. His issue is leg strength, of fgs 40 and over he is 24 of 38.......he is 2 of 2 with Indy both 42 yards though so club is well aware of where he struggles and smartly has kept him out of those situations.

He is in the zone...run with him until he shows reason not too. At some point he might be forced into situation to try a longer fg and that is where we see if his confidence and stroke has improved.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

We dont ask Blankenship to do much more either, they both have similar range issues

Granted there's in-game decisions (So take with a grain of salt or more if you like) but in 5 games we had Blankenship kick it 7 times over 40, compared to Badgley's 2 kicks over 40 in 5 games.

32 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Granted there's in-game decisions (So take with a grain of salt or more if you like) but in 5 games we had Blankenship kick it 7 times over 40, compared to Badgley's 2 kicks over 40 in 5 games.

So would you trade in someone who is perfect on extra points and under 40 for someone who might hit the odd 40+?

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

So would you trade in someone who is perfect on extra points and under 40 for someone who might hit the odd 40+?

Career wise Blankenship is more accurate and has the better upside for distance. 

Personally I would choose Blankenship, if the reason why we’re not kicking over 40 is because the coaches are not confident in Badgley over that distance. There’s a reason why Badgley has jumped around the league a lot and Blankenship did win his camp battle. I think you have to have a kicker that has a chance of making a 50 yard field goal. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Career wise Blankenship is more accurate and has the better upside for distance. 

Personally I would choose Blankenship, if the reason why we’re not kicking over 40 is because the coaches are not confident in Badgley over that distance. There’s a reason why Badgley has jumped around the league a lot and Blankenship did win his camp battle. I think you have to have a kicker that has a chance of making a 50 yard field goal. 

I see what you’re saying. Blankenship has earned his right to be our kicker. Won the battle like you said in camp. However the same can be said about Blankenship’s distance. We don’t trust him beyond 40 as well. It will be interesting to see moving forward. 

59 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I see what you’re saying. Blankenship has earned his right to be our kicker. Won the battle like you said in camp. However the same can be said about Blankenship’s distance. We don’t trust him beyond 40 as well. It will be interesting to see moving forward. 

I think that’s just fans with the over 40. In reality last year he struggled with over 50 only making 1 of 3 but from 40-49 he only missed 2 (9 for 11) which as a rookie I’m okay with. 

This year outside of the Baltimore game where he really shouldn’t of been kicking with his injury. He missed only 1 51 yard field goal. Which I believe was the kick that he was short due to slipping or something can’t exactly remember. His long has been 48 this year and 53 last year. 

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Wow lol. That says all we need to know. Blankenship is more than likely gone. If he was the future, he would be our starting kicker no matter how well Bagley did.

it’s too bad I like Blankenship. It’s part of the business though

5 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Interesting question. Why can’t we have both though.

9 hours ago, Colts.sb41 said:

Call me a homer but I am personally rooting for Blankenship. I was hoping for a long career with the colts. His only downfall is leg strength and he had definitely improved since last year. I’m hoping it’s his job to lose because I don’t think he will.

In Badgley's case though he came into the league a Colt, we signed him when he was not drafted in 2018, he was a perfect 5 of 5 in our preseason that year. We cut him and stayed with A.V. The Chargers signed him the following month and he started for them for 3 years. Badgley is back where his career started.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:06 PM, IrsaysArmy said:

Wow lol. That says all we need to know. Blankenship is more than likely gone. If he was the future, he would be our starting kicker no matter how well Bagley did.

To me that says "Rod could kick if absolutely necessary, but he's not 100%. Since Badgley is kicking well, there's no need to rush Rod back until he's 100%"

Players losing their jobs due to injury can be a huge morale hit in the locker room and it's not the kind of move I see us making considering Badgley doesn't really give us anything more than Rod. We'd be taking a morale hit (and risk players not reporting injuries due to fear of losing their starting jobs) for what amounts to a lateral move at K.

42 minutes ago, Shive said:

To me that says "Rod could kick if absolutely necessary, but he's not 100%. Since Badgley is kicking well, there's no need to rush Rod back until he's 100%"

Players losing their jobs due to injury can be a huge morale hit in the locker room and it's not the kind of move I see us making considering Badgley doesn't really give us anything more than Rod. We'd be taking a morale hit (and risk players not reporting injuries due to fear of losing their starting jobs) for what amounts to a lateral move at K.

I don't think most people in the locker room care... especially at the kicker position. Badgley is a very likable guy & he has proven he can make kicks. 

Injuries are part of the game. Tom Brady never becomes Tom Brady unless Bledsoe gets injured. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

He shouldn't have been kicking in the game then. I would have rather went for it than risk it with an injured kicker 

He just made a FG prior to the one that was blocked. Even injured after making one, you would expect him to make a 37 yarder, it just got blocked. The 2nd one it was either a 47 yard kick or a 30 yard pass to the endzone to end regulation so there again I see why we kicked it. He barely missed it, it was just wide.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

With the Buffalo game coming up and their always being wind makes you wonder if they also want to see how Badgely kick in the wind there. Might be another reason they aren’t activating Hot Rod yet. He did miss one that wasn’t very long in the WR.

TBH I am a little worried about Badgely kicking field goals in Buffalo.  Not so much the extra points.  But this time of year the wind could be a factor in Buffalo.  It can be brutal coming off Lake Erie.  I understand sticking with him so we shall see and keep our fingers crossed.

Archived