Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor named AFC Offensive Player of the Month

Indyfan4life

Taylor 2nd in total yardage in the league but 6th in Attempts and he has 5.4 YPC which is tied with Chubb for the best among RB over 100 carries. Logic dictates that those attempts should be going way up with the yardage and YPC but we will see lol.

25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Taylor 2nd in total yardage in the league but 6th in Attempts and he has 5.4 YPC which is tied with Chubb for the best among RB over 100 carries. Logic dictates that those attempts should be going way up with the yardage and YPC but we will see lol.

26 total carries in two games vs TN.... 13 per game.... 

We don't need to run him into the dirt like TN has been running Henry that last few years, but there's a very wide gap between Henry's use and JT's use... 

And to not use any other backs last week besides Hines running it once. 

There's just zero logic in running it less than 24% of O plays. That's well below the lowest NFL run/pass mix ratio... 

Just now, EastStreet said:

We don't need to run him into the dirt like TN has been running Henry that last few years, but there's a very wide gap between Henry's use and JT's use... 

There's just zero logic in running it less than 24% of O plays. That's well below the lowest NFL run/pass mix ratio... 

So true, I dont think anyone is saying he should be par with Henry but 98 less rushes then Henry through the the same amount of games is a very large gap.

13 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

So true, I dont think anyone is saying he should be par with Henry but 98 less rushes then Henry through the the same amount of games is a very large gap.

I'm not even all that mad at JT's total carries (for the year), but our total RB carries in general or ratio in a few games is just crazy low. 

I don't want to hear that the ratio is not important. What is important is when the team (Ballard) comes out and says we'll be a top physical running team, and then throws it 75% of the time in a game that our running game is working well.... is just mind blowing.

JT is #2 in total yards, and #2 in AVG (min 100 carries)

Our team is #12 in both YPG and total yards, and #7 in AVG yards per carry.

No reason we shouldn't be top 5 in both team ranks. Zero.

Those numbers at minimum beg for more carries for JT in a typical game situation, and RBs in general.

Not sure why we had so many active RBs last week when we only ran two a combined 17 times. 

I'd also add, that had he had more carries in just both TN games, good chance he would have made the all PFF team at least as #2.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

No it doesn't. Logic says that he has achieved the best ypc in the NFL by having the 6th most total attempts. 

The question that those stats don't come close to answering is, would his ypc go down if he had more attempts, stay the same, or go up?

Since Chubb also has the best ypc, does your logic mean that Cleveland should be giving him even more attempts, or is Cleveland's mix and usage about right? 

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Actually it means  NO SUCH THING!
  YOU have ZERO knowledge how his body is doing come Mon-Tues.
  They do.
    How many carries can he handle over a season. 20 per game x 17 games = 340.  Because he is Special, i think they want him here and healthy for SB runs we may be ready for over the next 4 years. That being said, 340 carries is probably a few to many carries a season. 275 carries is enough nowadays considering the Giant size, muscle pound athletes they get hit by and fallen on.
 So SORRY, they are not dumb enough to over run him during the TEAM's learning, getting experience together season.

Get him in the deciding game or the playoffs then it is Do or Die!

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No it doesn't. Logic says that he has achieved the best ypc in the NFL by having the 6th most total attempts. 

The question that those stats don't come close to answering is, would his ypc go down if he had more attempts, stay the same, or go up?

Since Chubb also has the best ypc, does your logic mean that Cleveland should be giving him even more attempts, or is Cleveland's mix and usage about right? 

Fair point. A lot of unknowns. Situations are situational. All I know is Wentz is a wildcard and you would think they might lean on Taylor a little bit more given Wentz's capacity to make boneheaded plays.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Fair point. A lot of unknowns. Situations are situational. All I know is Wentz is a wildcard and you would think they might lean on Taylor a little bit more given Wentz's capacity to make boneheaded plays.

Yes, on that we agree. 

My concern is that the NYJ will stack the run...take away what we do best.....and challenge Pascal, Dulin, and Cox to make plays.  I'm not sure if that's what TEN was doing (Wentz apparently was checking out of run plays), but it seems logical they did.

In the NFL, its tough to run if the opponent is preparing for it every play.  Even the Jets can keep our oline from dominating if they really want to, and our oline has not been dominating anyway. 

Be aggressive at the LOS, double Pitt, then force Wentz to mesh with Pascal, Dulin, and Cox.  

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So you mean to say that maybe if offenses had a pretty good idea that we were going to send JT 2 out of 3 times that he might be keyed on and it his ypc might go down?  Really.  Hmmm.  

Old school football baby.  Ground and pound. 

I guess we should just quit throwing to Taylor in the flat right.  Just run and run and run.  

Old school, Woody Hayes smashmouth.  

I don't think anyone is advocating for us to unhealthily run the ball. People just want us to run the ball a little more than we are now. Like another 5-10 carries. Doesn't matter if they all go to Taylor. or get split between our other overpaid rbs. 

56 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

This annoys me more considering we barely used him in crunch time last game smh.

Frank has a bad habit of taking Taylor out when it’s big downs or series. I love Hines but he is not Taylor. Taylor should only come out when he need a breather. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

tbh if running him

into the ground is what it takes to win we can only think about the here and now. 

3 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

tbh if running him

into the ground is what it takes to win we can only think about the here and now. 

We don't need to run him into the ground to win. We just need to run him more than we do in certain games and situations. And not just JT, just in general in terms of RBs and rushing. 

But, what we've heard heard from Ballard, and what we've seen him do, just doesn't jive with what we are seeing from scheme and game planning....

• What Ballard has done and said
    • Said (paraphrasing) we're going to be one of the top rushing teams in the league. "Top" to me says minimum top 10 in attempts and total rushing yards if not top 5, and it means a balanced ratio of at least around 55/45ish of plays.
    • Before Mack got hurt, we were looking to upgrade our already good running game. That tells me two things
      • We wanted to improve our already top 10 status
      • We were willing to jettison a 1000 yard RB (Mack) in his prime, suggesting we were treating the RB position as fungible. And if fungible, might as well maximize attempts.

But what we've seen so far this year calls some of the words and actions into question. It's similar to what Reich did with the Chargers (fired for poor balance) with Rivers. 

At the end of the day, along with the above, there was much said by Ballard and Reich that Wentz needed to understand that it's a team effort, and he needed to understand he didn't need to be the guy that won games. Yet that's exactly what we've asked him to do in games when it wasn't close to necessary... 

For the stat junkies found some interesting things with people throwing out the 1955 Woody Hayes gameplan with Taylor.  

Against our 3 toughest opponents SEA with Wilson, LAR and BALT,  Jonathon Taylor was not the best running back in ypc on the OUR OWN TEAM.

V. SEA he had 3.3 ypc on 17 carries while Hines had 3.8 on 9 carries  

SO AFTER SEATTLE DOES THE GAMEPLAN SCREAM RUN Taylor?  Well not really 3.3 sucks.

v. LAR the next game JT had 3.4 ypc on 15 carries and Hines/Mack had 3.5 ypc on 6  not really much difference but not a clear indicator that Taylor should run the ball more.   

Next two games v. TN and MIA JT has 6.4 yds on 26 carries.  Now going into the TN game, JT was actually in 3rd place ON OUR OWN TEAM in ypc.  Couple nice games v. Tn and MIA But OK the smashmouth crowd clamors for JT and he lays an egg rushing v. Balt.

v. Balt  JT 3.5 ypc on 15 carries and Hines/Ward have  whopping 7.2 ypc on 9

Does the evidence through Balt REALLY indicate running the damn ball with Taylor?

If you think so I just disagree. 

V. Houston Taylor goes off with 10.4 ypc on 14 carries in blowout with an 83 yarder.  OK fine.  But even the posters who claim stats the most recognized that JT was a bottom feeder running last year.  

Nice game v. SF in the rain.  5.9 yds on 18 carries.  Great.  Eli Mitchell had the exact same average for SF that night.  But great.   I thought he looked good.

Now the 1980s 3yds and a cloud of dust crowd is all up in arms in game we were doing fine in against a nice team through 3Qs.  JT had a slightly above average 4.4 ypc on 16 totes.  Hines only had one carry for 2 yds last week. 

Look I think we need to get him the ball in the flats when we can because he's explosive in the open field.  I have been arguing that he isn't great at getting into the open field and the stats last year DEFINITELY back that up.  He was one of the very worst qualifying RBs in making people miss and breaking tackles by advanced metrics and the vast proponderence of his yards rushing were against poor teams at the end of the the season. 

And I think he is going to get more carries v NYJ.  BUT.  there is not actually much actual statistical evidence that he is making it obvious that he is commanding more rushes.  

There just isn't other than overall yardage without any context or nuance.  

Now my eyes tell me he looked good in the Q1 v. TN.  Couple of nice patient cutbacks.  Encouraging.

27 minutes ago, Nickster said:

For the stat junkies found some interesting things with people throwing out the 1955 Woody Hayes gameplan with Taylor.  

Against our 3 toughest opponents SEA with Wilson, LAR and BALT,  Jonathon Taylor was not the best running back in ypc on the OUR OWN TEAM.

V. SEA he had 3.3 ypc on 17 carries while Hines had 3.8 on 9 carries  

SO AFTER SEATTLE DOES THE GAMEPLAN SCREAM RUN Taylor?  Well not really 3.3 sucks.

v. LAR the next game JT had 3.4 ypc on 15 carries and Hines/Mack had 3.5 ypc on 6  not really much difference but not a clear indicator that Taylor should run the ball more.   

Next two games v. TN and MIA JT has 6.4 yds on 26 carries.  Now going into the TN game, JT was actually in 3rd place ON OUR OWN TEAM in ypc.  Couple nice games v. Tn and MIA But OK the smashmouth crowd clamors for JT and he lays an egg rushing v. Balt.

v. Balt  JT 3.5 ypc on 15 carries and Hines/Ward have  whopping 7.2 ypc on 9

Does the evidence through Balt REALLY indicate running the damn ball with Taylor?

If you think so I just disagree. 

V. Houston Taylor goes off with 10.4 ypc on 14 carries in blowout with an 83 yarder.  OK fine.  But even the posters who claim stats the most recognized that JT was a bottom feeder running last year.  

Nice game v. SF in the rain.  5.9 yds on 18 carries.  Great.  Eli Mitchell had the exact same average for SF that night.  But great.   I thought he looked good.

Now the 1980s 3yds and a cloud of dust crowd is all up in arms in game we were doing fine in against a nice team through 3Qs.  JT had a slightly above average 4.4 ypc on 16 totes.  Hines only had one carry for 2 yds last week. 

Look I think we need to get him the ball in the flats when we can because he's explosive in the open field.  I have been arguing that he isn't great at getting into the open field and the stats last year DEFINITELY back that up.  He was one of the very worst qualifying RBs in making people miss and breaking tackles by advanced metrics and the vast proponderence of his yards rushing were against poor teams at the end of the the season. 

And I think he is going to get more carries v NYJ.  BUT.  there is not actually much actual statistical evidence that he is making it obvious that he is commanding more rushes.  

There just isn't other than overall yardage without any context or nuance.  

Now my eyes tell me he looked good in the Q1 v. TN.  Couple of nice patient cutbacks.  Encouraging.

The oline has progressively gotten healthier in the same time span. Which should be considered. 

29 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The oline has progressively gotten healthier in the same time span. Which should be considered. 

But that wouldn't explain why he was 3rd on his own team at that point would it?  

16 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It just came to me.  You know what we need?  Another argument over run/pass ratio, number of attempts, and whether Frank Reich even knows what he's doing.  Yeah, that'll work.

Just what the doctor ordered. 

37 minutes ago, Nickster said:

But that wouldn't explain why he was 3rd on his own team at that point would it?  

And we haven't seen much of Hines or Mack to also get a fair comparison. I think it's worth riding Taylor at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I'm just thinking if we try hard enough, we could get all of the threads combined under the Reich Complaints Mega-Thread, and have only a single thread for the whole message boards.  Pretty cool, eh?

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm just thinking if we try hard enough, we could get all of the threads combined under the Reich Complaints Mega-Thread, and have only a single thread for the whole message boards.  Pretty cool, eh?

Might eclipse that whopper thread from years ago

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

And we haven't seen much of Hines or Mack to also get a fair comparison. I think it's worth riding Taylor at this point in time. 

That may be true but I don’t think the evidence from actual game stats for the last two years makes this hypothesis clear.

When JB was QB most in here complained because we weren't pass happy, most complained last year that Rivers couldn't throw deep and they missed the Luck days. Now we have a QB that does it (throws deep which many wanted last year) and people still complain wanting us to run the ball more. Can't have it both ways. 

Having said that Taylor should at least get around 16-18 carries a game, that will keep him fresh throughout the whole game. We throw a lot of short passes to him as well which is like a carry and it gets him in the open where he bursts. You just can't factor in his runs, factor in how much he is being used. We are using him like SF did Roger Craig back in the day which isn't a bad thing. In his day Craig was a top 10 back in the league when he played in his prime and SF threw all the time.

Archived