Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[PFF] Kwity Paye with monster 95.2 PFF grade for his play in the game vs the Lions

stitches

13 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hope he stays healthy, and hope he's consistent. I guess 10 sacks and possibly DROY...

Freeney had 13 sacks as a rookie, I am going to out a limb and say Paye matches that if he plays in at least 15 games. Regarding just Indianapolis Colts players = 1984-2020, Freeney to me is the 3rd best player ever in this franchise history. So that is how highly I think of Paye. Peyton, Marv, Freeney, and Reggie are my Mt Rushmore - Just Indy players before Baltimore fans flip out haha . The value Freeney showed me is when he couldn't play in the 2nd half of SB 44. Brees had all day and we still had Mathis. Had Freeney been healthy we waltz with that 2nd SB win. Paye is going to be a great one!

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Ballard strikes again

Hope so. I was banging the drums hard for Paye and when he fell I was thrilled but I was nervous that Ballard would pass .extremely happy that night and happy so far. Can’t wait to see him against better competition 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Freeney had 13 sacks as a rookie, I am going to out a limb and say Paye matches that if he plays in at least 15 games. Regarding just Indianapolis Colts players = 1984-2020, Freeney to me is the 3rd best player ever in this franchise history. So that is how highly I think of Paye. Peyton, Marv, Freeney, and Reggie are my Mt Rushmore - Just Indy players before Baltimore fans flip out haha . The value Freeney showed me is when he couldn't play in the 2nd half of SB 44. Brees had all day and we still had Mathis. Had Freeney been healthy we waltz with that 2nd SB win. Paye is going to be a great one!

I am sure Mr Irsay reads stuff on here. I will add to this, how Bob Sanders isn't in the ROH is mind blowing. He was a huge reason why we won the SB in 2006.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Paye jumps off the screen in this defense, more so than he ever did at Michigan.  He looks like the real deal.  Stops the run, does it all. 

He explained this very well in a bunch of interviews. He says the colts changed his stance plus he is now just rushing instead of reacting. He just has to go right for the QB. He has much more speed then what people thought too.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He explained this very well in a bunch of interviews. He says the colts changed his stance plus he is now just rushing instead of reacting. He just has to go right for the QB. He has much more speed then what people thought too.

Yea he was faster than turay to the QB. Might be a steal at 21. Curious to see how jaelen Phillips does with dolphins

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He one of the humblest people of seen in sports. The man is very special, we landed a Big Q on D.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Look at Buckner and Leonard. Their excited already. Another dog on defense.

Im sorry but this video may just go down in history as the best ever. You have Buckner, Leonard in the back ground getting excited as % invisoning Payes future with this defense. 

*shivers*

6 hours ago, #12. said:

Paye jumps off the screen in this defense, more so than he ever did at Michigan.  He looks like the real deal.  Stops the run, does it all. 

I'm not sure if this is a product of him improving on technique (they talked about this pre-game), or being a starter going against guys trying to make the roster. Likely both.

His Michigan tape was pretty good, but it was mostly just pure power and speed (he's a freak athlete). Now he's got more finesse to his game (outside bend, hands use, general technique, etc). Can't wait to see him go against a legit LT.

Duane Brown, Seattle's LT (who is older 35, but has graded out 85+), has been in a "hold-in", at the facility, just not participating in practice. Supposedly both sides resumed talks this weekend, but Seattle has been reluctant to extend. Wilson's backups have been getting hammered (Geno Smith got a concussion).

Rams game might be the first time Kwity is really tested. Andrew Whitworth is another older LT 39, but one that also grades out very very well (85+).

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Look at Buckner and Leonard. Their excited already. Another dog on defense.

And that was Penei Sewell that he blew past. I have to correct myself here bc it was actually turay on the other side who blew past Sewell.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s so nice to have drafted a pass rusher high enough we aren’t waiting forever for them to develop. We got someone who will make a immediate impact.

It’s not just that we drafted Paye high enough….  Frankly, the rest of the NFL blew it.   They all mis-read what he was and what he was capable of.  

Instead, they focused on five quarterbacks,  five or six receivers, a bunch of lineman and several other spots.   Remember how we all talked about what a strange defensive end class this was?   They all had questions, there was no obvious DE that most teams would feel good about.   That all worked in our favor.    The first DE wasn’t picked until 18 when Phillips went to Miami.  The Colts were scared Paye was going right before us to the Giants with pick 20.   Instead, they took a WR.   

Ballard said on draft day he had a sneaky hunch that Paye might fall to us,  and he did.  Ballard was right.   He should’ve gone much higher….    Nice for the Colts!   :thmup:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not just that we drafted Paye high enough….  Frankly, the rest of the NFL blew it.   They all mis-read what he was and what he was capable of.  

Instead, they focused on five quarterbacks,  five or six receivers, a bunch of lineman and several other spots.   Remember how we all talked about what a strange defensive end class this was?   They all had questions, there was no obvious DE that most teams would feel good about.   That all worked in our favor.    The first DE wasn’t picked until 18 when Phillips went to Miami.  The Colts were scared Paye was going right before us to the Giants with pick 20.   Instead, they took a WR.   

Ballard said on draft day he had a sneaky hunch that Paye might fall to us,  and he did.  Ballard was right.   He should’ve gone much higher….    Nice for the Colts!   :thmup:

Really to early to judge GMs. People always harp on "BPA, PBA, PBA, etc.", but need always factors. And need factored for us too IMO. I agree, it was a strange DE class this year, mostly because of the limited snaps (covid) and stats. It's just so much easier to "measure" the O guys like QBs, RBs, and WR/TEs. There were certainly some guys taken before Paye where I was like WTHeck...

There was a bit run on DEs after we pulled the trigger. 4 of the 5 last 1st rounders were DE. 

One thing for sure though, Paye is the only DE taken in the first couple rounds starting day one.

Just looking at the DEs taken in the first two rounds (plus 1st DE taken in the 3rd)....

1-18 Jaelen Phillips - Dolphins/UM - injured in camp, currently 2nd/3rd string OLB in Miami's 3-4 (runs a ton of 3-3-5 though)

Purely my opinion, but I thought he was a bad fit size wise for the Miami D. Also, given his retired/injury situation in college, higher risk than I would have taken given the other DEs available. I would have thought they would have taken a guy who fit the OLB profile a bit more like Oweh or Ojulari

1-21 Paye - we know the story

1-28 Payton Turner  - Saints / Houston - 3rd string RDE in NO's 4-3

Another guy I did not expect to go in the first 3 or 4 DEs

1-30 Rousseau - Bills / UM - 2nd string LDE in the Bills 4-3

No shame in being after Hughes who grades out well.

1-31 Oweh - Ravens / PSU - 2nd string OLB in Ravens funky 3-4

Right behind Bowser, who grades out pretty well

1-32 Tryon - Bucs / WA - 2nd string OLB in Bucs 3-4

Behind Barret, who grades pretty well

2-50 Ojulari - Giants / UGA - 2nd string OLB in Giants 3-4

Behind a young and improving Oshane Ximines

2-54 - Dayo - we know the story here

2-63 - Boogie Basham - Bills / WF - 3rd string RDE in 4-3

Just to note, Bills took 2 DEs like the Colts

3-69 - Ossai - Bengals / TX - 2nd string RDE in 4-3

Right behind Hendrickson who had 14 sacks last year with the Saints.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Really to early to judge GMs. People always harp on "BPA, PBA, PBA, etc.", but need always factors. And need factored for us too IMO. I agree, it was a strange DE class this year, mostly because of the limited snaps (covid) and stats. It's just so much easier to "measure" the O guys like QBs, RBs, and WR/TEs. There were certainly some guys taken before Paye where I was like WTHeck...

There was a bit run on DEs after we pulled the trigger. 4 of the 5 last 1st rounders were DE. 

One thing for sure though, Paye is the only DE taken in the first couple rounds starting day one.

Just looking at the DEs taken in the first two rounds (plus 1st DE taken in the 3rd)....

1-18 Jaelen Phillips - Dolphins/UM - injured in camp, currently 2nd/3rd string OLB in Miami's 3-4 (runs a ton of 3-3-5 though)

Purely my opinion, but I thought he was a bad fit size wise for the Miami D. Also, given his retired/injury situation in college, higher risk than I would have taken given the other DEs available. I would have thought they would have taken a guy who fit the OLB profile a bit more like Oweh or Ojulari

1-21 Paye - we know the story

1-28 Payton Turner  - Saints / Houston - 3rd string RDE in NO's 4-3

Another guy I did not expect to go in the first 3 or 4 DEs

1-30 Rousseau - Bills / UM - 2nd string LDE in the Bills 4-3

No shame in being after Hughes who grades out well.

1-31 Oweh - Ravens / PSU - 2nd string OLB in Ravens funky 3-4

Right behind Bowser, who grades out pretty well

1-32 Tryon - Bucs / WA - 2nd string OLB in Bucs 3-4

Behind Barret, who grades pretty well

2-50 Ojulari - Giants / UGA - 2nd string OLB in Giants 3-4

Behind a young and improving Oshane Ximines

2-54 - Dayo - we know the story here

2-63 - Boogie Basham - Bills / WF - 3rd string RDE in 4-3

Just to note, Bills took 2 DEs like the Colts

3-69 - Ossai - Bengals / TX - 2nd string RDE in 4-3

Right behind Hendrickson who had 14 sacks last year with the Saints.

You’re right.   It is early to judge.   Didn’t mean to.   I was only trying to convey to the poster that there were so many other variables involved in the Colts getting Paye at 21.    

That a series of events happened to help us.   That we didn’t trade up to get him.   So many things broke our way….  If one of them doesn’t, Paye might be on another team.    But we were good, and we were lucky too.  That’s often how the draft works out.  

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re right.   It is early to judge.   Didn’t mean to.   I was only trying to convey to the poster that there were so many other variables involved in the Colts getting Paye at 21.    

Yup, that's why I pointed out "needs" over BPA. And we all know QBs are always a swing-for-the-fence situation in today's NFL.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That a series of events happened to help us.   That we didn’t trade up to get him.   So many things broke our way….  If one of them doesn’t, Paye might be on another team.    But we were good, and we were lucky too.  That’s often how the draft works out.  

Agreed. And I think we got the best "guy" too, not just the best DE.

I recognize that he's been playing against a lot of depth guys trying to make the roster, but his game/technique just looks different to me then his play at UM. I hope it translates when the regular season starts. Real test for him is likely game 2.

I'm anxious to see him build on his pass rush moves

He has some great potential

I will say one preseason game against a back up LT doesnt make him an all pro......... yet

(Sheeze I am starting to sound like some of the "negative Nellies" on this board :) )

But I am excited to see his development

Not going to lie, at draft season, I was only lukewarm on Kwity. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. I never really liked his tape at michigan. But boy, the rumors of Michigans scheme limiting his play in college are 100% true. Through preseason, his NFL tape looks better than his NCAA tape! lol

Archived