Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Q has allowed 3 sacks in 3 seasons...

Dogg63

Equal to his number of ALL PRO accolades (3).

Two of these (Fletcher Cox, Jadaveon Clowney) were within his first 4 games as a rookie, and the last (Harold Landry) was in his second season. He didn't give up any sacks his third season.

And here's the video of all of Nelson's sacks given up over the past 3 years...

Game two we will bear witness to the irresistible force paradox.  What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object or as I think of it Aaron Donald vs Quenton Nelson, possibly creating a second Big Bang in the universe.

1 minute ago, Farns01 said:

Game two we will bear witness to the irresistible force paradox.  What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object or as I think of it Aaron Donald vs Quenton Nelson, possibly creating a second Big Bang in the universe.

Honestly really excited about that matchup. I think Seattle has some big tackles too. Gonna be fun watching Q and Kelly move them. 

31 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

He's living up to the hype. Did anyone seriously doubt he would be a perennial All-Pro when he was drafted?

Yes, there were several, mostly those who wanted Bradley Chubb at number 3

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bradley Chubb would b far more important to this defense than an all pro guard. It's positional value

At the time, it was more important to fix the O-line and protect Luck.   Also, the trade back from 3 to 6 proved to net a much more valuable haul than Chubb would have given them at 3.  

No. 6 overall (2018): LG Quenton Nelson

No. 37 overall (2018): RT Braden Smith

No. 52 overall (2018): DE Kemoko Turay

No. 169 overall (2018): RB Jordan Wilkins

No. 34 overall (2019): CB Rock Ya-Sin

24 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Can’t wait to see Donald vs Q, but Donald is so ungodly talented I wouldn’t be surprised if even Q gets some help.

Im sure the Rams will try to put Donald on the opposite side away from Q! Theyd be smart to do so!

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bradley Chubb would b far more important to this defense than an all pro guard. It's positional value

Usually yes. But for me, Chubb isn’t good enough.

Give me the Pro Bowl, All Pro, on his path to the HOF, line transforming player over what Chubb is.

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Perhaps positional values are outdated. Think about the Oline and the Dline as the foundation of a house. Why would you skimp on the foundation to spend big money on the framing, the siding, the roof and the flooring? If one of those things fails you replace it. If the foundation fails you have to replace all of it or just junk the whole thing and rebuild. Perhaps it is QBs, RBs, Wrs, corners and safeties who are vastly overpaid in relationship to their true value? We ruined what was supposed to be a HoF QB because our foundation was weak and I have seen that happen over and over again.

22 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Perhaps positional values are outdated. Think about the Oline and the Dline as the foundation of a house. Why would you skimp on the foundation to spend big money on the framing, the siding, the roof and the flooring? If one of those things fails you replace it. If the foundation fails you have to replace all of it or just junk the whole thing and rebuild. Perhaps it is QBs, RBs, Wrs, corners and safeties who are vastly overpaid in relationship to their true value? We ruined what was supposed to be a HoF QB because our foundation was weak and I have seen that happen over and over again.

Agreed!

Recent Example: All the position talent in the world didn't help KC in the SB. With mediocre OL play, that high-powered offensive juggernaut devolved into a keystone cops episode.

Games are won and lost at the line-of-scrimmage. Always have been, always will be...

3 hours ago, Douzer said:

Agreed!

Recent Example: All the position talent in the world didn't help KC in the SB. With mediocre OL play, that high-powered offensive juggernaut devolved into a keystone cops episode.

Games are won and lost at the line-of-scrimmage. Always have been, always will be...

I think using KC as an example is not really correct. They lost 2 starting Oline players a week before the big game. I don't think to many teams could over come losing 2 starting players and hope to win. By that I mean 2 starting  corners......so on and so on.

15 hours ago, Myles said:

At the time, it was more important to fix the O-line and protect Luck.   Also, the trade back from 3 to 6 proved to net a much more valuable haul than Chubb would have given them at 3.  

No. 6 overall (2018): LG Quenton Nelson

No. 37 overall (2018): RT Braden Smith

No. 52 overall (2018): DE Kemoko Turay

No. 169 overall (2018): RB Jordan Wilkins

No. 34 overall (2019): CB Rock Ya-Sin

I agree.....I was thinking more if Colts were stuck at 3. I would have taken Cubb over Nelson.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would have taken Chubb if he did not blow his knee out. I would rather have a young all pro Dend over an all pro guard. 

Chubb wasn't all-pro material, in most cases I would agree with you. For example if I had to choose between Freeney or Nelson in their prime, I would take Freeney. Chubb isn't Freeney. Chubb was good before the injury but Nelson is arguably the best O.Lineman in football. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chubb wasn't all-pro material, in most cases I would agree with you. For example if I had to choose between Freeney or Nelson in their prime, I would take Freeney. Chubb isn't Freeney. Chubb was good before the injury but Nelson is arguably the best O.Lineman in football. 

He started in all 16 games in 2018 and recorded 60 combined tackles (41 solo), 12 sacks, two forced fumbles, and one pass deflection. That's as a rookie

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He started in all 16 games in 2018 and recorded 60 combined tackles (41 solo), 12 sacks, two forced fumbles, and one pass deflection. That's as a rookie

Impressive no doubt and he has made 1 Probowl but Nelson is a 3 time all-pro. Chubb is good but Nelson is a beast.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Impressive no doubt and he has made 1 Probowl but Nelson is a 3 time all-pro. Chubb is good but Nelson is a beast.

Not disagreeing. I was saying Chubb pre injury.  Would u take an all pro guard or say a Dend that was putting up say 15 sacks a year?The Colts know the value of a Dend. Ballard keeps pouring resources into that position. 

Why are we even talking about who we should have taken? To be honest, the conversation is pointless. Q is the best player at this position, Chubb is not.

Also, they were trying to save an Andrew Luck that was literally falling apart. It is so funny how people can say something like this, but with the same breath, would blast Chris Ballard and his entire character & manhood if he didn't fixt he Oline. 

@Moosejawcolt

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not disagreeing. I was saying Chubb pre injury.  Would u take an all pro guard or say a Dend that was putting up say 15 sacks a year?The Colts know the value of a Dend. Ballard keeps pouring resources into that position. 

I would take an all-pro DE like a Freeney of course. We are not sure if Chubb was on his way to be that though. Chubb is good but Nelson may end up being in the top 5 O.Lineman of all-time, that is how great he is. Freeney IMO will make the Hall of Fame 1 day.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why are we even talking about who we should have taken? To be honest, the conversation is pointless. Q is the best player at this position, Chubb is not.

Also, they were trying to save an Andrew Luck that was literally falling apart. It is so funny how people can say something like this, but with the same breath, would blast Chris Ballard and his entire character & manhood if he didn't fixt he Oline. 

@Moosejawcolt

That is the thing, you can't always look at position value because there are outliers like Nelson. Of course DE is more valuable than OG but if there is an outlier like a Larry Allen or Nelson it isn't. At the time we selected Nelson we needed a major upgrade to the O.Line and to protect Luck. Had we picked 3rd, I still would've took Nelson. I just seen him as being great, one of those outliers coming out of the draft.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, SteelDragon said:

He's living up to the hype. Did anyone seriously doubt he would be a perennial All-Pro when he was drafted?

Wouldn't say people didn't think he wouldn't live up to the hype, but about 70% of the board did not like that pick (or at least 70% of the posts were negative).  

6 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Wouldn't say people didn't think he wouldn't live up to the hype, but about 70% of the board did not like that pick (or at least 70% of the posts were negative).  

I would honestly say more like 80% in here were saying taking an OG at #6 would be a mistake (I wasn't one of them) and most wanted Chubb. Having said that it worked out beautifully :thmup:.

6 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I think it was 70% of the posts but not 70% of the people.  

Personally, I would have been fine with taking him at 3.  Ballard did great by turning it into extra picks and still getting him.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chubb had an amazing rookie year. His injury undermines this discussion, but we don't know what Chubb's first three years might have been if he had been healthy.

As for Nelson, I personally thought that we had a rare chance to draft a potentially game changing edge rusher at #3, and that we could improve the OL without spending a premium pick on a non premium position. Doesn't mean that anyone thought Nelson wouldn't be great, in fact, he was obviously the safest player to pick in that draft, and I said as much at the time.

Archived