Pagano Likes Our RBs [Merge]

CS Colts Fan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, April 6, 2012 - Questioning anothers fanhood
Hidden by Coltssouth, April 6, 2012 - Questioning anothers fanhood

I thought about going there, but I refrained.

lol 2010 B.L.

There should be no issue with either of those 3 comments. It should be common knowledge that Costanzo was the 1st round draft pick last year. Well common knowledge for fans of the Indianapolis Colts, or draft geeks, or to some fans in general.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, April 6, 2012 - Questioning anothers fanhood
Hidden by Coltssouth, April 6, 2012 - Questioning anothers fanhood

There should be no issue with either of those 3 comments. It should be common knowledge that Costanzo was the 1st round draft pick last year. Well common knowledge for fans of the Indianapolis Colts, or draft geeks, or to some fans in general.

Common knowledge to Colts fans before the later half of this year.....when it became obvious where one unnamed Stanford QB would be spending his NFL career.

Now I just went there.

This thread has been cleaned and is going to be re-opened.

It is never cool to question anothers fanhood. We all became Colts fans for one reason or another. It is not important why. What is important is that the Colts are our team and regardless of how you became a fan we all have that in common.

Lets try to keep it on topic please.

That should be common knowledge.

I'll give you a dollar if you get some more ink for your "pen" :P lol

ps. For anyone wondering, I'm referring to his light font. When asked about it he said it was running out of ink. Just wanted to clarify in case someone may misinterpret my comment. :D lol

just found this on rotoworld..

guess Pagano likes are Backs and has plans to use Brown and Carter.. maybe we don;t need to draft a RB this year.. I hope we don;t we have soo many needs

Delone Carter - RB - Colts

The Indianapolis Star expects new coach Chuck Pagano to endorse a "platoon" attack between Donald Brown and Delone Carter in the backfield.

Pagano is transitioning the offense to a more physical, ground-and-pound approach which suits Carter's running style more than Brown's. Carter was severely outplayed by Brown last season, though, struggling with fumbles and failing to show elusiveness. We anticipate steering clear of the Colts backfield by the time fantasy drafts roll around this summer.

I dont like to hear 'ground and pound' because I think that's disco-era thinking...

...We play in perfect conditions....We need to attack through the air like we have...

We won a lot of game sbecause we play high speed attack football indoors...

the rules of the game beg you to throw the ball...

I love Donald Brown but I dont want him to carry the ball 25-30 times a game

No they didn't win their bowl game, but it did get them ranked in the top 5 in the nation and got them into the bowl game. Also, you can't tell me that elite QB play is what won the national championship for Alabama. Both LSU and Alabama were built around running the ball and playing great defense and that formula got both teams into the national championship.

And the Broncos, Texans and 49ers are all examples of top teams that had great success last year despite not having an elite QB. It was Tebow's first chance getting to be the starter with Denver, Alex Smith's first year in Harbaugh's offense and the Texans still made a good playoff run despite going into the playoffs with their rookie 3rd string 5th round draft pick QB. No, I don't think Tebow would have ever led the Broncos to a championship but that's just my opinion. We'll never know what would have happened if he'd been retained and they continued to develop him. I think that San Fran could definitely make it to a championship and even win one with Alex Smith as the QB considering the way the team is built, especially as they add more and better WR's to the mix. The Texans definitely have the potential to get to and win a SB with the team they've built and I wouldn't call Schaub "elite". I could also use the example of the Jets making it to 2 consecutive AFC championship games. They didn't get there because of the elite QB play of Mark Sanchez. Now, yes it is definitely possible for average or below-average QB play to keep a team out of the big game, but teams have made it there before and will again without having to have elite QB play. It's all about how the team is built.

So, no the idea of "running the ball and stopping the run" definitely is not archaic or out-dated. If that's not your preferred style of football then that's fine. Everyone has their preferences, but to say that formula no longer works is simply not correct.

Your point is well taken, and maybe my point didn't come across well...I do believe teams need to run and stop the run to win. However, passing has always been the crucial, and is now an even more, aspect of winning. If Shaub were healthy this year, I believe the Texans would have won it all, or at least made the SB, b/c they had a complete team...the drop off from Shaub to the 3rd sting QB was noticeable. There is a big difference between being competitive and/or winning games by running the ball (ask the rest of the AFC South) and winning a SB. From 2009 to 2011, Chris Johnson (8-8 record), Arian Foster (6-10 record), and MJD (5-11 record) led the league in rushing and none of their teams made the playoffs because of poor QB play (Titans and Jags) or poor pass defense (Texans). The AFC South started running to control the clock and beat Manning while the Colts kept focusing on passing and stopping the pass (say what you want about Meeks/Dungy D but it was stout against the pass; Coyer, not stout against much after 09), and we witnessed the results for the last decade.

There is no set stagety that works evertywhere but Indy is not Chicago

In Indianapolis....you just cant run the ball 50 times and win....

the conditions to pass are too good...

Playing in Chicago on the lakefrint on a bad field in bad weater..yoiu bette be bale to run the ball in December.

In Indy, you better be able to throw the ball on ANYONE because ANYONE can throw on you indoors..

SF was shelled by New Orleans in the playoffs...last year....outdoors

Eli threw for 300 outdoors in the rain...

Play those games indoors and its not close..SF gets crushed

NYG, NE and NOLA were pass first teams..

That's the way the whole league is going and ts why Indy won so much in the last decade.

You dont want to over-think the obvious here

There is no set stagety that works evertywhere but Indy is not Chicago

In Indianapolis....you just cant run the ball 50 times and win....

the conditions to pass are too good...

Playing in Chicago on the lakefrint on a bad field in bad weater..yoiu bette be bale to run the ball in December.

In Indy, you better be able to throw the ball on ANYONE because ANYONE can throw on you indoors..

SF was shelled by New Orleans in the playoffs...last year....outdoors

Eli threw for 300 outdoors in the rain...

Play those games indoors and its not close..SF gets crushed

NYG, NE and NOLA were pass first teams..

That's the way the whole league is going and ts why Indy won so much in the last decade.

You dont want to over-think the obvious here

Yeah that's all well and good if we get lucky and wind up with all home games in December AND clinch home field throughout the playoffs. If we don't, then that high-powered passing offense could get shut down in the snowy winters in New England, PIttsburgh etc. Also, let's not forget that our first superbowl win came in a year when they finally were able to both run the ball and stop the run. The run D really kicked it up a few notches in the playoffs and were holding teams to 65 yards or less on the ground. And one could argue that Dominic Rhodes was the MVP of that SB, possibly even the entire playoff run. So yeah, you have to be able to pass but it's just as important (some might even say moreso) to be able to run the ball.

Good. DB averaged more YPC then MJD and Ray Rice last year. We just had a group of incompetent coaches that for some reason believed that it was easy to play "Peyton ball". I still wonder what went through their minds. "Well Peyton could do it so im sure Painter can! I mean how hard can it be? You only have to read the D and get rid of the ball in 3.1 seconds or your getting sacked." :slaphead: . We had a RB getting 4+ ypc for the first time in years and we decided to give him the ball 10 times a game, while collins, Painter and Danny O would throw 3 times for 3 incompletes.

We have added another piece to the Oline, (satele). Still need a guard in my mind if we want a real solid Oline. Reitz can be replaced as well, but not this year. So I say we grab a guard in the draft and see what we got at RB. If they cant make it work then we can add RB to the massive list of needs, but not this year.

I dont like to hear 'ground and pound' because I think that's disco-era thinking...

...We play in perfect conditions....We need to attack through the air like we have...

We won a lot of game sbecause we play high speed attack football indoors...

the rules of the game beg you to throw the ball...

I love Donald Brown but I dont want him to carry the ball 25-30 times a game

Not every game, but you do want the option to be able to. Have a RB that CAN run it 25 times a game with a Oline that can dominate the LOS. Whether it be because of the weather or Luck goes down, is struggling or whatever the case may be. Its good to have that running game that can run it for 180 yards if need be, especially with a rookie QB.

We just need balance. Running the ball 25 times opens up the field so much for the qb it makes it almost unfair. If you have to commit 7 and 8 in the box all game long..even Tim Tebow throws for 300 yards. We need that running game to give Luck a chance to be successful because he has a lot to learn. We all know a running game is a rookie qbs BEST friend. Ask Sanchez, Rothlisburger, Ryan, Flacco, Dalton, Newton. Then ask someone like Mccoy or Bradford what happens when their running game goes south. Anyways, I am fine running the ball a lot next year. As long as we are still moving the ball. Luck isn't going to come in and light it up for 5000 yards. I would be surprised if he throws for 4000. I just want us to keep him healthy and let him learn and win some games.

We just need balance. Running the ball 25 times opens up the field so much for the qb it makes it almost unfair. If you have to commit 7 and 8 in the box all game long..even Tim Tebow throws for 300 yards. We need that running game to give Luck a chance to be successful because he has a lot to learn. We all know a running game is a rookie qbs BEST friend. Ask Sanchez, Rothlisburger, Ryan, Flacco, Dalton, Newton. Then ask someone like Mccoy or Bradford what happens when their running game goes south. Anyways, I am fine running the ball a lot next year. As long as we are still moving the ball. Luck isn't going to come in and light it up for 5000 yards. I would be surprised if he throws for 4000. I just want us to keep him healthy and let him learn and win some games.

This.

I think our running game will surprise next year. Donald Brown showed promise last year and excelled behind a FB which is what Grigson will be implemented next year. If we get lucky enough to get Fleener next year, you could see some "Stanford" type plays where we line up in a I formation and play fake and hit Fleener down the seam.

wow Donald Brown had a higher ypc than MJD and Ray Rice last year so what? Teams dont gameplan to stop Donald Brown. Look at all the 8 9 man fronts MJD saw last season. Brown will never be in the class of either.

Your like a clone of myself

Donald Brown is going to be pretty productive in my personal opinion. He hasn't been used a lot in the past 3 years, but we've seen flashes of what he can do. He ran Ray Lewis over and I have proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTxBwiDz1o at 2:43 of this video watch his run. Donald has great ability and we'll get to see more of what he can do next season. I hope our offensive line can block so we can unlock his potential.

The Indianapolis Star expects new coach Chuck Pagano to endorse a "platoon" attack between Donald Brown and Delone Carter in the backfield.

Pagano is transitioning the offense to a more physical, ground-and-pound approach which suits Carter's running style more than Brown's. Carter was severely outplayed by Brown last season, though, struggling with fumbles and failing to show elusiveness. We anticipate steering clear of the Colts backfield by the time fantasy drafts roll around this summer.

Just pulled off of Rotoworld,

I don't going run heavy will do much, but if you read my article I wrote, I definitely endorse the 2 back attack. It could definitely get our running game going.

I guess he saw that it worked in Baltimore, so he'll try it here.

usually after a qb is taken the next pick is a offensive playmaker so the colts will take hill,fleener,dwayne allen with that 2nd pick. rb is a need but not as much as te and cb.

RB is not a need and irsay has stressed defense this year so the pick will be on defense unless a a steal at the skills position drops to them.

I do like Cyrus Gray as a change of pace RB with our round 4 pick and I put him in my draft contest list :). To me, he compares to Jahvid Best and would be a good asset in the return game too plus is an excellent pass catcher.

RB is not a need and irsay has stressed defense this year so the pick will be on defense unless a a steal at the skills position drops to them.

If Irsay is going to be doing the drafting, we are in for alot of trouble as Colts fans.. He was a TERRIBLE gm when his dad was alive

Why are people posting these things as if they are the coach saying them? I have seen a couple of other threads. This is just rotoworld looking at the roster and who has been cut and who has not and speculating about what might happen. It has nothing to do with Pagano.

wow Donald Brown had a higher ypc than MJD and Ray Rice last year so what? Teams dont gameplan to stop Donald Brown. Look at all the 8 9 man fronts MJD saw last season. Brown will never be in the class of either.

I agree that Brown will not be in the Class of Rice and MJD but it's not like defenses had to focus on stopping the Colts passing game last year.

Donald Brown is going to be pretty productive in my personal opinion. He hasn't been used a lot in the past 3 years, but we've seen flashes of what he can do. He ran Ray Lewis over and I have proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTxBwiDz1o at 2:43 of this video watch his run. Donald has great ability and we'll get to see more of what he can do next season. I hope our offensive line can block so we can unlock his potential.

haha ...I hope you were being sarcastic because my grandma can run over a defender if his back is facing you (2:45 mark in video)...I hope Brown keeps getting better and justifies our #1 pick on him, but he still has a lot to prove in my opinion.

That's one thing I hope Luck learns to do as well. If a player messes up, let him know!! It might take Luck a couple years to develop that leadership ability, but I think it's critical to admit your own mistakes and let you teammates know and learn from their mistakes.