Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Likes Our RBs [Merge]

CS Colts Fan

just found this on rotoworld..

guess Pagano likes are Backs and has plans to use Brown and Carter.. maybe we don;t need to draft a RB this year.. I hope we don;t we have soo many needs

Delone Carter - RB - Colts

The Indianapolis Star expects new coach Chuck Pagano to endorse a "platoon" attack between Donald Brown and Delone Carter in the backfield.

Pagano is transitioning the offense to a more physical, ground-and-pound approach which suits Carter's running style more than Brown's. Carter was severely outplayed by Brown last season, though, struggling with fumbles and failing to show elusiveness. We anticipate steering clear of the Colts backfield by the time fantasy drafts roll around this summer.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with adequate blocking, DB could excel in the new system. If space is remotely available, Donald will make the best out of it. I think they also need to stick to using Delone Carter primarily as a short yardage back. I remember someone within the organization (can't remember if it was Polian or someone else) mentioning he was going to be used as a short yardage back, but they deviated from what they said and used him in many situations. Unfortunately he started to fumble the ball. I would say use a combination of DB, Darren Evans as primary backs then Delone Carter for short yardage situations 2nd - 3rd and short.

I also look forward to seeing Darren Evans in action again this preseason. Hopefully he lights it up. If Delone proves he can hold onto the ball, then perhaps he could be used as an all purpose back.

just found this on rotoworld..

guess Pagano likes are Backs and has plans to use Brown and Carter.. maybe we don;t need to draft a RB this year.. I hope we don;t we have soo many needs

Delone Carter - RB - Colts

The Indianapolis Star expects new coach Chuck Pagano to endorse a "platoon" attack between Donald Brown and Delone Carter in the backfield.

Pagano is transitioning the offense to a more physical, ground-and-pound approach which suits Carter's running style more than Brown's. Carter was severely outplayed by Brown last season, though, struggling with fumbles and failing to show elusiveness. We anticipate steering clear of the Colts backfield by the time fantasy drafts roll around this summer.

The Grammar Police will get you every time!

grammar-po-po-65111563541.png

That's classic...although DB did rank 5th overall in the league for RB run blocking last year. NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/april/the-case-for-donald-brown.html

I feel like I've been defending DB way too much on this board this week, but hey, while he was pretty bad his first two years, he had a really nice year last year by pretty much all measurable statistics. I really think he is capable of being a solid starting RB...not great, but solid, which is really all a team needs in today's NFL (assuming the #1 pick will be utilized as the team's best offensive asset and the staff doesn't actually fall into the dated run the ball, stop the run mantra that Pagano's been dropping).

He says Dallas if you listen closely

I always thought it was Donald, but your right, it sounded just as much like Dallas as Donald. With the way Dallas got blew up on that play, it could have been. Although, the real pressure came off of Johnson's man...what a putrid display of blocking all around.

For a bust, he played pretty good last year with some terrible QBs and a questionable line.

He only seemed to do good because he never did anything. He has played in 40 games with only 10 above 50 yards, 3 above 75, and 2 above 100 yards. He isn't consistent. With his "better year" He only had a 3.8 ypc, minus his Titans game. Which was only a broken play day.

And this is why donald couldn't stay on the field. Addai was a much much better blocking back in pass defense...in fact Joseph's best attribute was his blocking...but Donald has never picked up that skill yet and if he doesn't he won't be getting a new contract. I could see Luck get squashed pretty easily if he doesn't learn the pocket presence that Peyton had. Funny vid lol.

And this is why donald couldn't stay on the field. Addai was a much much better blocking back in pass defense...in fact Joseph's best attribute was his blocking...but Donald has never picked up that skill yet and if he doesn't he won't be getting a new contract. I could see Luck get squashed pretty easily if he doesn't learn the pocket presence that Peyton had. Funny vid lol.

This just simply isn't true...see my post above. Objective statistics say he was the 5th best pass blocking back last year. It took him until last year to figure it out, but if top 5 isn't picking it up, then I don't know what is. I'm not in love with DB,nor do I think he will ever be great, but I get tired of people bashing him based off of his first couple of years in the league and ignoring last year.

I love Donald as a runner. I just haven't seen the same out of him as a pass blocker. I will agree he got better last year but I am not ready yet to say he is a top 5 pass blocking back just because of that statistic. This year will be the year if he wants to be our feature back....else he will get replaced next year and forever be a change of pace. Please don't get me wrong. I think he is very servicable.

He only seemed to do good because he never did anything. He has played in 40 games with only 10 above 50 yards, 3 above 75, and 2 above 100 yards. He isn't consistent. With his "better year" He only had a 3.8 ypc, minus his Titans game. Which was only a broken play day.

Check your math, his average would be 4.1 subtracting the titans game (his best game). Besides, subtracting a players best game is a terribly lousy argument. You can skew anyones stats in your favor by subtracting selected games.

I don't see how anyone who watched DB last year could deny he played well.

Check your math, his average would be 4.1 subtracting the titans game (his best game). Even though subtracting a players best game is a terribly lousy argument. You can skew anyones stats in your favor by subtracting selected games.

I don't see how anyone who watched DB last year could deny he played well.

Att Yds Y/A TD
8---38- 4.75 0
5---35-- 7--- 1
9-- 47- 5.22-0
10- 33- 3.3- 1
16--70 4.38- 0
14--53-3.79--0
14--80-5.71--1
14--41-2.93--1
9---28--3.11--0
16-161-10.06-1
11--35--3.18--0
8----24--3------0
134-645-4.81-5

When our offense started to click he didn't improve with them. Painter was just so terrible it looked like Donald was doing something.

assuming the #1 pick will be utilized as the team's best offensive asset and the staff doesn't actually fall into the dated run the ball, stop the run mantra that Pagano's been dropping).

the " run the ball and stop the run" mantra is not nearly as dated as many people think. Having success running the ball was just as important to the Stanford offense as Luck was.

the " run the ball and stop the run" mantra is not nearly as dated as many people think. Having success running the ball was just as important to the Stanford offense as Luck was.

They also didn't win their bowl game, and watching it made me cringe because they took the ball out of Luck's hands by running it in key situations and settling for (missed) field goals. While a team has to be able to run, elite QB play wins championships in today's NFL. Just ask the Broncos, Texans, and 49ers who were the top 3 rushing teams last year and all lost in the playoffs with average to poor QB play...

Att Yds Y/A TD
8---38- 4.75 0
5---35-- 7--- 1
9-- 47- 5.22-0
10- 33- 3.3- 1
16--70 4.38- 0
14--53-3.79--0
14--80-5.71--1
14--41-2.93--1
9---28--3.11--0
16-161-10.06-1
11--35--3.18--0
8----24--3------0
134-645-4.81-5

When our offense started to click he didn't improve with them. Painter was just so terrible it looked like Donald was doing something.

Painter's (along with the other QB's) play was terrible, which makes DBs 4.8 ypc that much more impressive. I'm not saying DB is an All-Pro, but if he continues to improve on last year, he's far from a bust. It hasn't been exactly easy for any RB to run in Indy for years.

Att Yds Y/A TD
8---38- 4.75 0
5---35-- 7--- 1
9-- 47- 5.22-0
10- 33- 3.3- 1
16--70 4.38- 0
14--53-3.79--0
14--80-5.71--1
14--41-2.93--1
9---28--3.11--0
16-161-10.06-1
11--35--3.18--0
8----24--3------0
134-645-4.81-5

Most of the "clicking" was when they were playing from behind and defenses were playing it safe...hence, they were throwing not running the ball. If you take a look, DO and Painter had pretty much the same stat lines. Neither one was any good...

Most of the "clicking" was when they were playing from behind and defenses were playing it safe...hence, they were throwing not running the ball. If you take a look, DO and Painter had pretty much the same stat lines. Neither one was any good...

That is not true. If you project the stats for a 16 game season based on what they had Curtis would have had 0-16 record, 264 comp, 486 att, 54.3%, 3,082 yards, 12 TDs, and 18 int. Dan O would have had 6.4-9.6 record, 390.4 comp, 617.6 att, 63.2%, 3843.2 yards, 19.2 TD, and 12.8 int.

Dan played a much better than Curtis.

Painter's (along with the other QB's) play was terrible, which makes DBs 4.8 ypc that much more impressive. I'm not saying DB is an All-Pro, but if he continues to improve on last year, he's far from a bust. It hasn't been exactly easy for any RB to run in Indy for years.

I think he is too inconsistent to assume he is going to improve.

Don't know his dislikes.. hoping that we don't have to use a pick on a RB...I think next years draft has better options and I like Sam I Am like Stewart.. ..

I am looking forward to the new line and look.. we have needed a better blocking OLine for years.. I don't think our backs are bad.. time will tell... I think/hope we will all be pleased with what we see in them this year.

Smonroe.. yea I can take the slams/greasing it's all in fun

southwest1 yea I had a good chuckle..

That is not true. If you project the stats for a 16 game season based on what they had Curtis would have had 0-16 record, 264 comp, 486 att, 54.3%, 3,082 yards, 12 TDs, and 18 int. Dan O would have had 6.4-9.6 record, 390.4 comp, 617.6 att, 63.2%, 3843.2 yards, 19.2 TD, and 12.8 int.

Dan played a much better than Curtis.

I don't think projecting out is a very good way to look at the data. You cannot just assume that DO or CP would or would not have played the exact same over the course of an entire season. You also left out the fact that DO had 7 fumbles...not sure what that projects to over the course of the entire season, but suffice it to say a ton of turnovers. We can agree to disagree on projecting, but I would tend to follow what Dunlevy says here as a better assessment of their play: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111885-afc-south-advanced-stat-of-the-week-indianapolis-colts. NY/A is an excellent way to evaluate QB play and both were similarly terrible.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, April 5, 2012 - Masked profanity
Hidden by 21isSuperman, April 5, 2012 - Masked profanity

Donald Brown is not a good running back If we cut him hed be another teams camp fodder if that

Some people make a living with their bull%, others just post it on forums.

Upcoming season will be his chance to show which side of the debate is correct.

Yes. Because it generally takes 4 years for a RB to develop.

Of course not all RBs have "the man, the myth, the legend" Joe Addai in front of him.

The king of the label "best blocking back" or more commonly known as, not a good RB, so we just say he can block....

They also didn't win their bowl game, and watching it made me cringe because they took the ball out of Luck's hands by running it in key situations and settling for (missed) field goals. While a team has to be able to run, elite QB play wins championships in today's NFL. Just ask the Broncos, Texans, and 49ers who were the top 3 rushing teams last year and all lost in the playoffs with average to poor QB play...

No they didn't win their bowl game, but it did get them ranked in the top 5 in the nation and got them into the bowl game. Also, you can't tell me that elite QB play is what won the national championship for Alabama. Both LSU and Alabama were built around running the ball and playing great defense and that formula got both teams into the national championship.

And the Broncos, Texans and 49ers are all examples of top teams that had great success last year despite not having an elite QB. It was Tebow's first chance getting to be the starter with Denver, Alex Smith's first year in Harbaugh's offense and the Texans still made a good playoff run despite going into the playoffs with their rookie 3rd string 5th round draft pick QB. No, I don't think Tebow would have ever led the Broncos to a championship but that's just my opinion. We'll never know what would have happened if he'd been retained and they continued to develop him. I think that San Fran could definitely make it to a championship and even win one with Alex Smith as the QB considering the way the team is built, especially as they add more and better WR's to the mix. The Texans definitely have the potential to get to and win a SB with the team they've built and I wouldn't call Schaub "elite". I could also use the example of the Jets making it to 2 consecutive AFC championship games. They didn't get there because of the elite QB play of Mark Sanchez. Now, yes it is definitely possible for average or below-average QB play to keep a team out of the big game, but teams have made it there before and will again without having to have elite QB play. It's all about how the team is built.

So, no the idea of "running the ball and stopping the run" definitely is not archaic or out-dated. If that's not your preferred style of football then that's fine. Everyone has their preferences, but to say that formula no longer works is simply not correct.