Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Dan Sileo is a fraud who throws % at the wall and hopes something sticks then deletes his reports that didn't happen/proved false. He doesn't have any sources. Don't fall for his nonsense. Even if that trade happens he would have guessed it by sheer luck, not because of any inside knowledge.

34 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I think that situation is about to get UGLY. This seems like Easterby drawing a line in the sand. And not just with Watson. He’s sending a message about how the Texans will handle business under his watch. Being that it involves Watson just gives him a chance to show off how deep his power reaches and that no one, no matter how talented, is bigger than his vision of the Texans. 

And Easterby is one of those fanatical types that is just waiting for a player to take a public stance against him so he can play the victim and put all the heat on said player. He’ll spin himself off as the good-natured spiritual leader who wants everyone to be on board and that he’s willing to go the distance to keep them there, but the truth seems to be a whole lot darker than that. 

What is going on in Houston right now will someday be worthy of one hell of a 30 for 30.

There wasn't ever any bad word spoken about Watson by any member of HOU staff.  No indications at all that he wasn't wanted.

There is absolutely no heat on Watson that was not created by his own words.

The problem with HOU is that you have the GM trying to be a powerful GM, and a QB who is also trying to be a powerful GM. 

I don't see where Watson wouldn't ever be viewed as the aggressor that was playing outside of his swim lanes.  Unless he has a media posse to set the tone of the chatter. 

Also, the SB just devalued what he brings to the field.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we get Wentz or Darnold you better believe the plan is for them to be our QB for multiple years.  Ballard will then move to fill in a couple of missing pieces in FA and then the draft.  The quicker we can secure their veteran of choice the better.  Then he can concentrate on FA, the draft and extending a few of our own.  

I agree. If Ballard decides Wentz, Darnold, Mariotta, or Brissett is the man, we need to have a clear answer that they are the person for multiple years (unless something happens - injury, etc.). I get that he doesn't think QB as the #1 main important person on the team but it has to be a damn good player at least.

2 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Just listened to a Philly area podcast guy...he thinks the Colts are going to trade Darius Leonard for Wentz, straight up.....I stopped watching 5 minutes ago, and haven't stopped laughing at the moronic level of that thought.

Lol. Darius is untouchable. Pro bowl players and players with any kind of play making ability are untouchable. Okereke is a jag. He hadn’t really shown any play making ability so he can be replaced.

3 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Just listened to a Philly area podcast guy...he thinks the Colts are going to trade Darius Leonard for Wentz, straight up.....I stopped watching 5 minutes ago, and haven't stopped laughing at the moronic level of that thought.

Oh God, I severely hope not. lol

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard isn’t trading any of his all pros or anyone with playmaking ability. The defense runs through Leonard and Moore. Those are two important pieces to making the defense work.

The defense runs through BUCKNER, Leonard and Moore.   Fixed it for you.   :hat:

46 minutes ago, joecolts said:

Ballard's job isn't in jeopardy in the least.  He's proven he is one of the top GM's in football with every aspect of the job and in all decisions he's made.  He's in no way on the hot seat

No kidding.  What a stupid move it would be to fire Chris Ballard.

If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see other owners reach out to him by lunchtime and offer to fire whoever their GM is if he'd come there.  He is, by many accounts, one of those most respected GMs in the league.

He's still a pretty young guy.  I hope he's a Colt for, literally, decades to come.

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not over the moon in love with that idea, but it's not nearly as crazy as you'd all think. 

Not from the Eagles' perspective, anyway.

This can't be repeated enough:  Carson Wentz is a quarterback with a 4-year/$128M contract, with $108M guaranteed, who just spent the last 4.5 weeks of this past season -- his last before the contract kicks in -- on the bench...behind a 2nd-round rookie who didn't exactly set the world on fire in relief.  And he wants out.

He's a problem for Philly.  An expensive problem for them.

The thought of trading an All-Pro (and more!) for a pricy guy off their bench is absurd.

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

This can't be repeated enough:  Carson Wentz is a quarterback with a 4-year/$128M contract, with $108M guaranteed, who just spent the last 4.5 weeks of this past season -- his last before the contract kicks in -- on the bench...behind a 2nd-round rookie who didn't exactly set the world on fire in relief.  And he wants out.

The thought of trading an All-Pro (and more!) for a pricy guy off their bench is absurd.

The only way it works is if you draft another rangy ILB at pick 54, then you have the cheap contract for 4 years instead of overpaying Leonard.  Let Philly do that.  

That's the thing, there are always potential replacements coming up through the draft every year.

Only works if Wentz plays well though.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Mariotta wouldn't be a bad short term fix.  Problem is he's under contract and raiders would want a pick.

Fitzmagic would be a far better option.  A UFA.

Well, I'm not enthralled with either one of them.  But, honestly, I think the difference between those two is negligible enough that I'd for sure favor the UFA.  We've got other needs to fill.

But, let's be honest, there aren't any great options here.  There are a range of options that are fairly predictable (but not very good), or simply unpredictable.  And that's how it goes in the NFL if you aren't one of the 6 or 7 teams blessed with a bona fide franchise QB.

36 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I'm a lifelong homer and optimist, but I'd be the first guy camped out at the Indy offices with a neon colored 'Fire Ballard' sign if that happened.. Lol

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The only way it works is if you draft another rangy ILB at pick 54, then you have the cheap contract for 4 years instead of overpaying Leonard.  Let Philly do that.  

That's the thing, there are always potential replacements coming up through the draft every year.

Only works if Wentz plays well though.

How many Darius Leonards are you going to find in the 2nd round?

Again, I wouldn't have a problem talking about these kinds of players (or players like Roquan Smith for the Bears) if we were talking about a legit top-10 QB.  But Wentz isn't that.  He had one great year and one or so OK years.

But it's almost like a guy trying to sell a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has been badly wrecked and underwent lots of repairs....as if it's a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has barely even been exposed to rainy weather.

I get that Philly wants to get as much out of him as they can.  He's going to cost them a big chunk of cap even if they trade him.  And they know that an unusually high number of teams are in the QB market this year.  But they already showed their hand with him:  they benched him.  You can't buff out those dents.

19 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

From our perspective? You're getting out of having to pay a guy who's going to want to be paid like a premier player in Leonard, getting a guy who's in a position of far greater need in Wentz, who's going to need paid too.

Take the emotions out of it, and if it is what both sides think, it's a franchise QB for top tier LB. If you need the QB, it's not even kind of crazy. It's just dependent on what you think of Wentz. I'm not nearly that into him, but if Ballard and Reich are confident it's a matter of circumstance and minor adjustment and he's rolling again- that's not a terribly hard move.

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

How many Darius Leonards are you going to find in the 2nd round?

Again, I wouldn't have a problem talking about these kinds of players (or players like Roquan Smith for the Bears) if we were talking about a legit top-10 QB.  But Wentz isn't that.  He had one great year and one or so OK years.

But it's almost like a guy trying to sell a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has been badly wrecked and required lots of repairs....as if it's a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has barely even endured rainy weather.

I get that Philly wants to get as much out of him as they can.  He's going to cost them a big chunk of cap even if they trade him.  And they know that an unusually high number of teams are in the QB market this year.  But they already showed their hand with him:  they benched him.  You can't buff out those dents.

IDK.  If there is one this year, then the trade would be okay.  Not advocating it, just saying that its not something that's off the table.

If Wentz plays like Mac Jones, what's the difference in trading Leonard and drafting another Leonard at 21, or keeping Leonard and drafting Jones at 21.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

From our perspective? You're getting out of having to pay a guy who's going to want to be paid like a premier player in Leonard, getting a guy who's in a position of far greater need in Wentz, who's going to need paid too.

Take the emotions out of it, and if it is what both sides think, it's a franchise QB for top tier QB. If you need the QB, it's not even kind of crazy. It's just dependent on what you think of Wentz. I'm not nearly that into him, but if Ballard and Reich are confident it's a matter of circumstance and minor adjustment and he's rolling again- that's not a terribly hard move.

Well, you're not going to compete for Super Bowls if your tendency is to avoid high-dollar players, no matter how much they mean to your team.

And the problem with giving up this much for Carson Wentz isn't demonstrated by what I think of him, what you think of him, or even what Ballard & Reich think of him.  The problem is demonstrated by what his current team thinks of him.  They inked him to a $128M contract not all that long ago.  And he gets benched...by the very coach he stood by during a SB victory?  They want rid of him.  They need rid of him.  He's a cheaper player to whoever else gets him.

Let's stop acting like we are, or should be, the more motivated party.  Yeah, we need a QB.  But it doesn't have to be him.  If the Eagles are going to require somebody to overpay for him, let it be the Bears.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm not advocating trading Leonard for Wentz but I also wouldn't say he's untouchable 

I dont think he is either, it might be tough for us to pay Darius. Trading him for a good Qb wouldnt be out of the question for me.

Lots of important holes to fill plus a will linebacker thats going to want to reset the market

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm not advocating trading Leonard for Wentz but I also wouldn't say he's untouchable 

Well, almost nobody is untouchable -- except maybe the rare guy like Mahomes.  I would've thought Watson fell into that category -- and he probably should.  But the Texans have stepped on their own hoses there.

I get that Darius Leonard isn't untouchable as far as trades go.  But for:

- a benched QB...

- who hasn't played great since coming back from injury...

- who was the 31st rated QB in the league this past season...

- and who comes with a big pricetag?

That would make zero sense.  What other benched quarterbacks would we trade our star LB for?  Goff?  Darnold?

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, almost nobody is untouchable -- except maybe the rare guy like Mahomes.  I would've thought Watson fell into that category -- and he probably should.  But the Texans have stepped on their own hoses there.

I get that Darius Leonard isn't untouchable as far as trades go.  But for:

- a benched QB...

- who hasn't played great since coming back from injury...

- who was the 31st rated QB in the league this past season...

- and who comes with a big pricetag?

That would make zero sense.  What other benched quarterbacks would we trade our star LB for?  Goff?  Darnold?

I said I wouldn't do it for Wentz

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I said I wouldn't do it for Wentz

Understood.  But that was what was being discussed, after all.  It's not like we're talking about trading for Watson or Rodgers or even Carr here.  The comment was made that a trade of Leonard for Wentz "wasn't nearly as crazy as (we'd) all think" and this was in response to a suggestion out of Philly for this trade.

23 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm a lifelong homer and optimist, but I'd be the first guy camped out at the Indy offices with a neon colored 'Fire Ballard' sign if that happened.. Lol

Hi, my name is Homer and I'm and Optometrist and I hope you make the sign BIG so we all can SEE it. 

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

Trading Leonard in lieu of draft capital in a draft trade up is one thing...trading him for Wentz is a completely different thing. 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Old video sorry if posted

Would be perfect for Colts

Potentially take 2 teams out of drafting QBs

49ers getting Darnold 

Patriots getting Garrapolo 

Jones drops to Colts

parks and recreation please GIF

Video posted 24 hours ago is now "old".  Ah, the modern world.

All I'd say to that is that I'm kinda with Kyle Shanahan on Darnold....which maybe sounds a bit nuts with as down as I am on Wentz.  Maybe it's because I feel like Darnold's poor performances are more about his team than his abilities?  Wentz has shown more than Darnold has.  But I think we can trace back his regression to the injury.

As for Jones, I hope we get a vet and use the 1st rounder on an edge rusher, a CB, or an LT.

30 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

In my opinion I think he is untouchable. It seems like all the Colts do is talk about the culture and the locker room,  trading somebody like Darius would practically destroy that. You literally could not ask anymore from him. Trading him would send a terrible message to that locker room. 

You don’t trade a multiple time all pro (arguably already the best linebacker in Colts history) for a train wreck of a QB like Wentz.  That’s madness. Now if you said you’d include Leonard in a deal for their 1st round #6 pick then you’re making some sense.  That puts you high enough to move up to either 2nd (Jets) or 3rd (Dolphins) to get Fields or Wilson.  

My guess is that Philly with the +30m Wentz dead cap hit this season are gonna need cheap players.  I’d let them move Wentz elsewhere. Then I’d be talking about giving them our 1st, a 3rd, & 3 or 4 of Okereke, Rock, Wilkins, Campbell and/or Eason.  Eason & Hurts could make for a very interesting QB competition for them.  That’s a lot of young cheap talent that could contribute for them immediately. 

Archived