Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

22 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Understood.  But that was what was being discussed, after all.  It's not like we're talking about trading for Watson or Rodgers or even Carr here.  The comment was made that a trade of Leonard for Wentz "wasn't nearly as crazy as (we'd) all think" and this was in response to a suggestion out of Philly for this trade.

And you've made your case, and well, but it's still broadly speaking not crazy, because what Ballard and Reich think matters the most out of all the dynamics here for one and the trade value doesn't have to square four corners to have some benefit. The Colts have lot's of guys coming up that are going to need paid and they're not pass rushers, QB's, LT's, DB's- positions of high value. We're inside out on the design of the roster right now is the macro point in my opinon.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

How many Darius Leonards are you going to find in the 2nd round?

Again, I wouldn't have a problem talking about these kinds of players (or players like Roquan Smith for the Bears) if we were talking about a legit top-10 QB.  But Wentz isn't that.  He had one great year and one or so OK years.

But it's almost like a guy trying to sell a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has been badly wrecked and underwent lots of repairs....as if it's a lightly-used late-model Porsche that has barely even been exposed to rainy weather.

I get that Philly wants to get as much out of him as they can.  He's going to cost them a big chunk of cap even if they trade him.  And they know that an unusually high number of teams are in the QB market this year.  But they already showed their hand with him:  they benched him.  You can't buff out those dents.

FWIW, Fred Warner was picked in the 3rd round of the same draft as Leonard, and a number of legit NFL analysts regard him as currently the best LB in the league (so it would be at least hypothetically possible to replace Leonard)

but personally I wouldn't include Leonard in a trade, at least not for a question mark like Wentz

I think--ironically enough--that ALL THREE (Colts, Eagles, Bears) are in bad positions for somewhat different reasons. Not sure at this point that any of them will be able, at least in the short term, to work themselves out of those positions.

Leonard isn't untouchable, but there are only 2 players I would consider moving him for.

Mahomes

Josh Allen

That's it, and that's not happening.

I would think real hard about Trevor Lawrence though, only issue is we would have to play the Maniac twice a year.

I'm not trading him to move up in the draft on what would essentially be a gamble. A dice roll.

6 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

FWIW, Fred Warner was picked in the 3rd round of the same draft as Leonard, and a number of legit NFL analysts regard him as currently the best LB in the league

OK.  But this isn't an exact science.  There have always been and will always be guys who turn out better, or worse, than their consensus draft stock would suggest.  I'm sure if there was a redraft of the 2018 draft, both of those guys would be taken higher than they were.  But, of course, redrafts are fantasy exercises.

Point is:  we caught the right fish with that cast.  There's no guarantee we'd catch another fish like him with the next cast -- and even less likelihood with it being in the 2nd round rather than the 1st.

Anyway, point is:  it would be nuts to give up Leonard for Wentz.

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Point is:  we caught the right fish with that cast.  There's no guarantee we'd catch another fish like him with the next cast -- and even less likelihood with it being in the 2nd round rather than the 1st.

the rock yes GIF

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

OK.  But this isn't an exact science.  There have always been and will always be guys who turn out better, or worse, than their consensus draft stock would suggest.  I'm sure if there was a redraft of the 2018 draft, both of those guys would be taken higher than they were.  But, of course, redrafts are fantasy exercises.

Anyway, point is:  it would be nuts to give up Leonard for Wentz.

which is pretty much what I said: I'd be reluctant to trade Leonard period and I'd be dead set against doing it for Wentz (who I don't really want much anyway)

Personally I just don't see any promising QB options for the Colts at this point so, if we're going to roll the dice and hope, I'd just as soon do it with one of the UFAs, and save core players like Leonard AND save draft capital

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Leonard isn't untouchable, but there are only 2 players I would consider moving him for.

Mahomes

Josh Allen

That's it, and that's not happening.

I would think real hard about Trevor Lawrence though, only issue is we would have to play the Maniac twice a year.

I'm not trading him to move up in the draft on what would essentially be a gamble. A dice roll.

I would had Watson to that list

I think all of these leaks are Wentz’ agent and the Eagles trying to get the Colts to jump in and/or up their bid.  Ballard should kill the noise and force them (bears & eagles) to just get a deal done by rescinding our offer and instead strictly inquiring about Foles & the 6th pick only from each.  Tell them to take up the Wentz talk with the Broncos.  They can have our 3rd for him or we’ll take him and we can swap 2nd’s.  Besides that it’s a hard pass.  

We can get Trubisky (a similarly rated QB this past season) for cheaper.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Ballard told them something similar and that’s why the Broncos are now the 3rd mystery team...  Don’t fall for the banana in the tail pipe Ballard.  And despite the commercial last night, don’t overpay for a lemon because Frank tells you he can make lemonade out of it...

Yall are killing me with the Trubisky nonsense. Have you noticed there aint a team anywhere trying to pick that man up? But yet you keep comparing him to Wentz. Hell is anybody even treating Trubisky equal to Jimmy G at this point? Man aint nobody talking about picking up no damn Trubisky. There i said it!

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Yall are killing me with the Trubisky nonsense. Have you noticed there aint a team anywhere trying to pick that man up? But yet you keep comparing him to Wentz. Hell is anybody even treating Trubisky equal to Jimmy G at this point? Man aint nobody talking about picking up no damn Trubisky. There i said it!

Since he is a FA he can’t be talked about by the teams 

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

The kid looks like a deer in highlights most of the time....when I've seen him play.

I don’t know if this was posted or not.  It says Ballard and Pace have remained disciplined. If that’s the case and offers are close you would think he would choose the colts. 20th and 21st pick aren’t that different.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/02/eagles-are-close-to-trading-carson-wentz-bears-colts-expected-to-be-final-contenders-source-says.html

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know if this was posted or not.  It says Ballard and Pace have remained disciplined. If that’s the case and offers are close you would think he would choose the colts. 20th and 21st pick aren’t that different.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/02/eagles-are-close-to-trading-carson-wentz-bears-colts-expected-to-be-final-contenders-source-says.html

I feel like Eagles are just playing hardball 

Let's say the Wentz trade falls through and he stays with the Eagles 

Ballard now knows in order to get a QB he potentially wants he would have to jump the Bears who like us have been actively looking. 

excited genius GIF

1 minute ago, craigerb said:

Not of Leonard's caliber.

There's no way that you know that 

Archived