Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jags Get A New HC

King Colt

Urban Meyer tries his hand at the NFL. Good luck You will need it.

© Provided by The Spun ohio state head coach urban meyer after his final game

According to multiple reports, the three-time national title-winning college football coach and the Jacksonville Jaguars are finalizing a deal. Meyer will be the next head coach of the AFC South franchise, according to multiple reports.

Meyer, 56, retired from college football after the 2018 season, turning over the Ohio State program to Ryan Day.

Now, he heads to the NFL level. Will Meyer be successful at the professional level? We’ve seen some notable college football greats try and fail at the NFL level. Others, like Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll, experienced major success.

What’s to expect of Urban Meyer in the NFL? Here’s how the NFL world is reacting to the news.

26 minutes ago, King Colt said:

According to multiple reports, the three-time national title-winning college football coach and the Jacksonville Jaguars are finalizing a deal. Meyer will be the next head coach of the AFC South franchise, according to multiple reports.

Meyer, 56, retired from college football after the 2018 season, turning over the Ohio State program to Ryan Day.

Now, he heads to the NFL level. Will Meyer be successful at the professional level? We’ve seen some notable college football greats try and fail at the NFL level. Others, like Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll, experienced major success.

What’s to expect of Urban Meyer in the NFL? Here’s how the NFL world is reacting to the news.

Where is the link to the article?

The biggest question with Urban (whether its an NFL job or another college job) is how long he stays? The endings to his time at Florida and Ohio State were...strange.

Also, i'm even more interested to see who they hire as the GM. We know the GM-coach relationship is so important but bringing in Urban to coach with his resume means he will have a lot more influence on the organization compared to most coaches. 

This could work out really well but also has the potential to be disaster.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Jags are going to shock the world and take Fields, whether that's at #1 or #2?

Might make Jets trade up to #1 to get Lawrence?

I would love it if they take Fields. Fields isn’t bad, don’t get me wrong, but watch OSU’s games against IU or Bama; Fields can be stopped, and he’ll have a harder time adjusting to the NFL I think.

I think the Jags are closer to competing than the Jets, so it would work for the Jets if they could get a plug-and-play guy like Lawrence

37 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I would love it if they take Fields. Fields isn’t bad, don’t get me wrong, but watch OSU’s games against IU or Bama; Fields can be stopped, and he’ll have a harder time adjusting to the NFL I think.

I think the Jags are closer to competing than the Jets, so it would work for the Jets if they could get a plug-and-play guy like Lawrence

Im right there with you. Fields looked really bad in the NW game as well, I watched all 3 of those games.

I think Fields has a decent chance of busting and would love it if the Jags elected to make this move.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I think Jags are going to shock the world and take Fields, whether that's at #1 or #2?

Might make Jets trade up to #1 to get Lawrence?

Every year we think it'll happen, how often does that #2 ever leap the #1?

Khan would overrule him I bet.

Skipping the consensus #1? Woof, that would take massive coconuts

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I did see a tweet today he is in love with Lawrence.

Who doesn't?

I have seen multiple articles that bring up this possibility today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/urban-planner-does-meyers-arrival-with-jaguars-open-the-door-at-all-for-justin-fields-at-1-201638004.html

Urban Meyer had been part of the Fox Sports pre- and postgame shows for the Clemson-Ohio State CFP semifinal game on New Year’s Day, and by that point reports of his interest in the Jacksonville Jaguars’ head-coaching vacancy were hitting a rolling boil.

On one sideline was Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, the overwhelming favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL draft. On the other: Ohio State’s Justin Fields, coached by Meyer’s protege, Ryan Day, at a program Meyer reshaped into one of the sport’s unquestioned titans.

Oh, to crack inside Meyer’s head that night as he sat and watched Fields outplay Lawrence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/4166324001

ESPN analysts Dan Orlovsky, Keyshawn Johnson and Marcus Spears debated Thursday on NFL Live whether the Jacksonville Jaguars' hiring of former Ohio State Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer - which became official Thursday night - changes the likelihood that the team will select Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence with the top overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft instead of Buckeyes QB Justin Fields.

The 2nd article goes deeper into their debate.

Does it happen? Who knows but I think it is possible. Ryan Day connection is pretty big too.

57 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The only question is will he be patient enough to see them turn the corner. If Lawrence is what people project him to be, it could work out well for them, but it's not going to be awesome next year. 

If they get the right coaches in place they can turn things around pretty quick. They will have a lot of offensive pieces in place. They also have some good young defensive pieces. The cupboard isn’t bare down there. They have cap space and draft capital.

12 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

With Trevor Lawrence in tow. Intriguing. He'll be tested but wouldn't surprise me to see him raise them to at least .500. The AFC South will be a beast next year.

Colts need to strap up.

With urban, part of me wonders if theyll do the most Jags thing ever, select Fields over Trevor

I'm not sure about this one. Pete Carroll of course has had some success, and there's been some good coaches to cross over, but there's also been quite a few college coaches who have flamed out in the NFL as their message and style gets old with the players and administration fast. 

Success stories:

-Jimmy Johnson

-Pete Carroll

-Paul Brown

-Bill Walsh

-Tom Coughlin

-Dennis Green

The Bad:

-Lou Holtz

-Bobby Petrino

-Steve Spurrier

-Nick Saban

-Butch Davis

-Dennis Erickson

-Mike Riley

-Chip Kelly

John Harbaugh could probably fit into both lists depending on the context. I'm missing a lot more I know. 

17 hours ago, ar7 said:

The biggest question with Urban (whether its an NFL job or another college job) is how long he stays? The endings to his time at Florida and Ohio State were...strange.

Also, i'm even more interested to see who they hire as the GM. We know the GM-coach relationship is so important but bringing in Urban to coach with his resume means he will have a lot more influence on the organization compared to most coaches. 

This could work out really well but also has the potential to be disaster.

My feeling is this is more like the Gruden and Obrien situation. Meyers is gonna be the coach GM. Why else would they hire him first. Hes gonna get to make all the calls. Will be interesting to see how this works.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

My feeling is this is more like the Gruden and Obrien situation. Meyers is gonna be the coach GM. Why else would they hire him first. Hes gonna get to make all the calls. Will be interesting to see how this works.

There is a good foundation. DJ Chark is a baller reciever to help out Lawrence. They would be smart to build up that Oline now. 

I've always liked Meyer and actually hoped Irsay would have acquired him the last couple HC openings we had. He's been a winner at every college team he's coached. And with Lawrence & Meyer,  they may be the team to beat in our division for a number of years. 

Hopefully, we can get a elite QB too AND the Jags somehow continue being the Jags.  Lol

On 1/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, King Colt said:

I think  the AFC South is in trouble. I think Meyers was an excellent hire 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:36 AM, RollerColt said:

I'm not sure about this one. Pete Carroll of course has had some success, and there's been some good coaches to cross over, but there's also been quite a few college coaches who have flamed out in the NFL as their message and style gets old with the players and administration fast. 

Success stories:

-Jimmy Johnson

-Pete Carroll

-Paul Brown

-Bill Walsh

-Tom Coughlin

-Dennis Green

The Bad:

-Lou Holtz

-Bobby Petrino

-Steve Spurrier

-Nick Saban

-Butch Davis

-Dennis Erickson

-Mike Riley

-Chip Kelly

John Harbaugh could probably fit into both lists depending on the context. I'm missing a lot more I know. 

Switzer. It seems it is either boom or bust. I feel Meyera will b like Jimmy

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He will quit in 2 years

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He will quit in 2 years

Lets chat in 2 years. Every where he has coached, he has won.  I have  listened to him in interviews and I come away super impressed. Comes across as a leader of men and knows what he is doing. I think he will mesh well with pro players.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lets chat in 2 years. Every where he has coached, he has won.  I have  listened to him in interviews and I come away super impressed. Comes across as a leader of men and knows what he is doing. I think he will mesh well with pro players.

He also quits every where he has coached

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't, not with that organization even with Trevor Lawrence. I guess we will find out next year.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:37 AM, crazycolt1 said:

5 seconds of hearing Dakich's voice is insufferable to me. 

How this narcissistic * has a job in broadcasting is beyond me. 

I like that station but if I’m listening at work it gets changed at noon because of him and back on at 3 for jmv 

Archived