Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Ben Not Playing - Limits Colts playoff hopes?

Mitch Connors

17 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Steelers can lean on run game and defense. Rudolph can just play small ball and move the sticks.

That's a formula to put up about 3 points against the Browns right now. You see those 30-ish yards the Steelers ground game piled up Sunday?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30606557/miami-dolphins-coach-brian-flores-defends-decision-stick-tua-tagovailoa-starting-qb

Miami Coach Brian Flores announced Tua as the starter shortly after the last game, but suggested using Ryan Fitzpatrick kinda like a "closer" is used in MLB. I would imagine that although Tagovailoa will start the game, the rookie will probably be on a very short leash.

So weird. The locker room must be onboard with this...but I can't believe you wouldn't go with the grizzled vet here...who is obviously a boost for the passing game.

Sort of reminds me of when Warner was near the end of his career.

8 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Slim to none playoff hopes getting slimmer.  Also, if you read between the lines as far as what Sean McDermmot is saying, they are obviously sitting players.  Colts will have 7 months to think about how they blew this season.  5 of 6 years now with no playoffs.  :( 

Buffalo may or may not be resting players, but I'm sure they'll what they have to in order to win the game, as will Pittsburgh. It’s been ¼ century since their last playoff win, some of their current players hadn’t even been born yet and I’m positive they’ll make sure they secure the AFC’s 2nd seed, and get at least 2 home postseason games as long as they win the 1st one.

The last thing they’ll want is to slack off and lose while Pittsburgh sells out to beat Cleveland, then the Bills have to go to Heinz Field for the 2nd playoff game vice making the Steelers come to them.

9 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Buffalo may or may not be resting players, but I'm sure they'll what they have to in order to win the game, as will Pittsburgh. It’s been ¼ century since their last playoff win, some of their current players hadn’t even been born yet and I’m positive they’ll make sure they secure the AFC’s 2nd seed, and get at least 2 home postseason games as long as they win the 1st one.

The last thing they’ll want is to slack off and lose while Pittsburgh sells out to beat Cleveland, then the Bills have to go to Heinz Field for the 2nd playoff game vice making the Steelers come to them.

I've been lurking on the bills messageboard and they are all in on locking up the 2 seed so they don't have to travel until they go to arrowhead for the afc championship game.

So there is a huge difference between the 2 and 3 seed

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

So weird. The locker room must be onboard with this...but I can't believe you wouldn't go with the grizzled vet here...who is obviously a boost for the passing game.

Sort of reminds me of when Warner near the end of his career.

There’s something to be said for “dancing with who brung ya”. I recall 20 years ago when the Bills were quarterbacked by Doug Flutie for most of the season, but Wade Phillips thought it would be a good idea to replace him with Rob Johnson for their Wild Card matchup at Tennessee, causing strife in their locker room and poetic justice when they fell victim to the famed “Music City Miracle” in the closing seconds.

Buoyed by the improbable victory, the Titans won 2 more playoff games and advanced to Superbowl XXXIV, where they came up “1 yard short” against the Rams.

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Slim to none playoff hopes getting slimmer.  Also, if you read between the lines as far as what Sean McDermmot is saying, they are obviously sitting players.  Colts will have 7 months to think about how they blew this season.  5 of 6 years now with no playoffs.  :( 

What has McDermott said ? I've seen nothing but the betting line seems to support something less than an all out commitment to win that game.

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What has McDermott said ? I've seen nothing but the betting line seems to support something less than an all out commitment to win that game.

Really depends how Browns-Steelers game goes. If it’s a close game Bills continue to play their starters. If Browns blow out the Steelers Bills will probably pull starters in the second half. 

49 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He said he's not going to announce anything publicly. If he was going to play at full strength, there's no reason to hide that fact. So does he think it's a strategic advantage? Sounds like he's bluffing playing at full strength

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

He said a few weeks ago he wants to play for a winner and he is sounding serious. He lashed out against his team after the loss last week and that is a sign. Time will tell.

That was not at all my interpretation of his rant. At least the one I saw was not directed at team mates. I believe he was simply answering a reporters question about playing this week or not with nothing on the line. 

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I hope your right...

On 12/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, chad72 said:

Yep, in 2020, NFL Homefield advantage does not exist:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/11/home-field-advantage-is-lie/

It is actually gradually disappearing:

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/football/2020/nfl-home-field-advantage-1234617561/

As of December 2, 2020:

With roughly half of NFL teams playing in empty stadiums and the other half allowing fans at minimal capacities, home teams are 90-85-1 this year: the lowest home winning percentage since 1972.

I am sure the data analytics folks are using this to guide decisions too.

I think the lack of fans leads to this disappearance... especially prior to December (or before Dec 2).   

Buffalo, even without fans, is a very tough place to play in January/February due to the absolutely brutal weather they experience.  Their QB, Josh Allen, played collegiately at 7,220 feet in Laramie, WY which is the most difficult weather of any D1 stadium come winter time and he's very well-suited to play in the cold/snow common to Buffalo in the depths of winter.  Homefield advantage for them would be huge just due to the climatic conditions -- they also just got approval to allow fans (albeit limited numbers) to games in the playoffs which they weren't allowed to do all year.  

Buffalo wants to win, no doubt about it, as if they go in as the #2 seed, they will get 1 guaranteed home game and a 2nd if they win the opening round of the playoffs.  

10 hours ago, coltsva said:

Let's hope the Bills have a big lead and bringing in the closer is a moot point.

I’d be surprised if Fitz is as affective against the Bills as he was against LV.  Buffalo’s defense has been much better since the bye week.  They’ve  only given up 43 points in the last 3 weeks and 6 of them where garbage time to Denver. 

1 minute ago, FriendlyBillsFan said:

I’d be surprised if Fitz is as affective against the Bills as he was against LV.  Buffalo’s defense has been much better since the bye week.  They’ve  only given up 43 points in the last 3 weeks and 6 of them where garbage time to Denver. 

Any local news leaking out as to what Bills plans are yet?

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

Any local news leaking out as to what Bills plans are yet?

Nothing new, McDermott said when asked. 

“Those conversations have taken place and we have a plan,” Sean McDermott told reporters shortly after their 38-9 win over the New England Patriots. “I want to keep that plan internal, for a number of reasons. Number one, I haven’t had a chance to talk to your players yet. At the end of the day, it’s trying to do what’s best for our football team and every team’s different.”

2 hours ago, FriendlyBillsFan said:

“Those conversations have taken place and we have a plan,” Sean McDermott told reporters shortly after their 38-9 win over the New England Patriots. “I want to keep that plan internal, for a number of reasons. Number one, I haven’t had a chance to talk to your players yet. At the end of the day, it’s trying to do what’s best for our football team and every team’s different.”

Sounds like they might be doing what the Colts did vs the Jets in 2009 to me.  That’s just my interruption of it I have no facts to base that off of.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sounds like they might be doing what the Colts did vs the Jets in 2009 to me.  That’s just my interruption of it I have no facts to base that off of.

I think it’s going to be a symbolic start for many of the players...and after playing a series or two...they will rest. With PIT likely conceding their game...there won’t be any reason to risk it. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Can't recall what we did exactly? Intentionally rested our starters to keep them from making the playoffs?

7 hours ago, FriendlyBillsFan said:

I would think the players want to give the fans that are able to attend a good show. They been waiting all season and they are all fired up. I know how dedicated and die hard the Bills fan are. 

I also think they wouldn't want to take the chance on facing a division foe in the playoffs. 

Could I be wrong? Yes of course but I'm hoping I am not. 

My job used to take me to Buffalo quite often. I would unload in Buffalo and reload up by Niagara Falls. 

I met a lot of Bill fans and I can honestly say they were great. Even tho they knew I was a Colts fan they treated me great. Maybe a little ribbing but it was all in fun. Good memories for me. 

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

How could tua not have been exposed as well ?

Maybe after the Broncos fiasco they had the QBs safely distance themselves. Many teams are doing this. Guess contact tracing will figure things out. Still huge news because of Tua struggles they can’t bench him for Fitz.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A kid Fromm Hawaii having to go play in the cold rain and snow. I am liking the Bills chances but we will see. TUA is good to go.

Should be around 35 degrees. 

He played at Alabama so always warm weather there

Edit: looks like they are predicting snow this Sunday too

Archived