Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Ben Not Playing - Limits Colts playoff hopes?

Mitch Connors

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

PIT will probably try to rest a few other veterans. Good for them, they earned it.

Can their D play CLV? That's the Q.

I'm watching the Buffalo game closely. Also thinking Deshaun will torch TN's D. 

Texans defense couldn't stop the Bengals RBs. Henry is going for 200 again

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Browns fans sure would love to rub it in our noses for resting our starters in 2007 with Dungy and Peyton that booted them out of playoff chances. 

Our only hope lies in the Bills, IMO.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills follow the Steelers’ lead here.

Hopefully they won’t.  But that higher seed just isn’t worth what it typically would be.

That said, Big Ben is banged up.  So I’m sure that’s a major consideration.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When there is no fans in the stands teams think resting is more valuable then home field. If this was a normal year with fans I don’t think we would see this.

Yep, in 2020, NFL Homefield advantage does not exist:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/11/home-field-advantage-is-lie/

It is actually gradually disappearing:

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/football/2020/nfl-home-field-advantage-1234617561/

As of December 2, 2020:

With roughly half of NFL teams playing in empty stadiums and the other half allowing fans at minimal capacities, home teams are 90-85-1 this year: the lowest home winning percentage since 1972.

I am sure the data analytics folks are using this to guide decisions too.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Really?

If the 2 seed got a bye this year, both teams would go all out to win this week.

Yeah your probably right because then you get a rest week  Nfl might of screwed up with the new playoff format. 

If the starters Ted on defense still play I think the Steelers can still win. Just depends on how good Baker is because I doubt Rudolph can put up many points.

Who is the Bills backup QB? Fromm is their third stringer I believe.

Expect Bills and Steeelers to rest a lot of players. The Chiefs r the only team with the bye, so Bills and Steelers r just trying to level the playing field. Doesnt look good. Titans should beat Texans as Packers embarrassed them. Watt called out his team. Not sure how Texans players will react as Watt apparently wants out as well

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Really?

If the 2 seed got a bye this year, both teams would go all out to win this week.

Yep, absolutely.  Having a bye is worth whatever wear and tear you but on the players.  Having the bye allows you to rest your players after you get it.  

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah your probably right because then you get a rest week  Nfl might of screwed up with the new playoff format. 

If the starters Ted on defense still play I think the Steelers can still win. Just depends on how good Baker is because I doubt Rudolph can put up many points.

Who is the Bills backup QB? Fromm is their third stringer I believe.

Matt Barkley 

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Bills and the Steelers have no reason not to take this week off. Get as close to a bye before the playoffs as you can, and if you have to play the division rival you let in in the first round so be it, you have a decided advantage over them right out of the gate. 

The #2 seed is still up for grabs and playing a second game at home would be huge for either team.  

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Expect Bills and Steeelers to rest a lot of players. The Chiefs r the only team with the bye, so Bills and Steelers r just trying to level the playing field. Doesnt look good. Titans should beat Texans as Packers embarrassed them. Watt called out his team. Not sure how Texans players will react as Watt apparently wants out as well

Where do you get the idea that Watt wants out?

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

The #2 seed is still up for grabs and playing a second game at home would be huge for either team.  

I think it would be a bigger advantage for Pittsburgh than Buffalo. Doesn’t matter where Buffalo plays, they should be favored only behind the Chiefs. And they know that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills don’t care where the game is at. They’ll still execute. And if you’re the Bills, who do you want in the playoff field with you? Miami, who have played well, but are still very beatable. They needed a literal miracle to beat the sinking Raiders. Or the Colts who have taken it to the Packers, Steelers, gone 1-1 with the Titans, and could conceivably win any game they’re in?

The Steelers are limping in. They need home field far more than Buffalo does. And they’re just forgoing it. They had their bye in week 4, they’ve been tested over the last month, and they need a breath before the games get hard again. Pittsburgh is just saying Ben right now, but don’t be surprised to see a lot of the first team sit out most of the game. The way their season has played out has left this break being their saving grace. 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills follow the Steelers’ lead here.

Hopefully they won’t.  But that higher seed just isn’t worth what it typically would be.

That said, Big Ben is banged up.  So I’m sure that’s a major consideration.

WOW.  We let Big Ben off the hook.  Eberflus should have been in his face hitting him

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I think it would be a bigger advantage for Pittsburgh than Buffalo. Doesn’t matter where Buffalo plays, they should be favored only behind the Chiefs. And they know that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills don’t care where the game is at. They’ll still execute. And if you’re the Bills, who do you want in the playoff field with you? Miami, who have played well, but are still very beatable. They needed a literal miracle to beat the sinking Raiders. Or the Colts who have taken it to the Packers, Steelers, gone 1-1 with the Titans, and could conceivably win any game they’re in?

The Steelers are limping in. They need home field far more than Buffalo does. And they’re just forgoing it. They had their bye in week 4, they’ve been tested over the last month, and they need a breath before the games get hard again. Pittsburgh is just saying Ben right now, but don’t be surprised to see a lot of the first team sit out most of the game. The way their season has played out has left this break being their saving grace. 

I think Buffalo would love having Indy have to play in Buffalo in January.  Or the Titans, we've seen how bad they can be in frosty weather.  

42 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Kind of a stretch to say from the provided quote that he wants out.    And I haven't heard that from more reputable sources.  It seems that if that was the case, it would have been out there more.  Who knows - maybe in the offseason it becomes reality.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm starting to think that the Texans are the Colts only hope.   

I said the same thing the other day.

The Steelers’ decision to sit Big Ben shows just how much value they, at least, put on the 2 seed.  It’s worth remembering that he has a nagging injury.  Still, if they don’t put much value on it, it seems plausible the Bills might feel similarly.  Not that they don’t want it - just that they aren’t going to risk much to get it.

Contrast that with the interests of the teams they’re playing.  Nobody wants to be the guy left standing in a game of musical chairs.

Only time will tell.  But we really could be counting on the Texans to beat the Titans.

i tried to warn you guys that teams do not care about the two seed .  now that there is only one bye week teams will rest their starters to get a bye week .    A bye week has more value then getting one more extra home game with no crowd .   bills will probably do the same now that the steelers are .    colts have no one to blame but them selves they blew it ,  come back next year and try again .    AT least we get the 18th pick and can trade into the top 10 much more easily . 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I said the same thing the other day.

The Steelers’ decision to sit Big Ben shows just how much value they, at least, put on the 2 seed.  It’s worth remembering that he has a nagging injury.  Still, if they don’t put much value on it, it seems plausible the Bills might feel similarly.  Not that they don’t want it - just that they aren’t going to risk much to get it.

Contrast that with the interests of the teams they’re playing.  Nobody wants to be the guy left standing in a game of musical chairs.

Only time will tell.  But we really could be counting on the Texans to beat the Titans.

bills have the tie breaker over the steelers so by the steelers resting ben that locks the bills into the 2 seed .  They can rest their starters and keep the 2 seed .  texans are the colts only real hope , and they are 4-11 for a reason .  

Archived