Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A coaching dilemma?

CR91

I honestly feel like at this point the better coach is leaving in the off-season. I can easily see Flus going to the jets or even back to Texas to coach the texans. Reich is not bad, but imo is just not as valuable. Flus will make adjustments and cater to his players to put them in the best position to succeed. I don't see that with Reich. I feel like he is very stubborn with his approach and he just puts out any player he feels regardless of the situation.

The colts will certainly miss Flus, but given that he's never been a head coach before and this is just his first gig as a coordinator. . . it's IMO really really off to just pronounce him a better head coach than Reich.  

I mean offensively look what happened to the Eagles after they lost Reich.  They went from beating Brady in a shootout in the SB with a backup QB to their starting QB (who was in the MVP discussion in Reich's last year til he got hurt.) looking like a bum.

Will hate to see Flus go and our defense will probably take a hit as a result of him walking and some of the players walking.  But let's not pronounce him a better HC than Reich.  

I’ve always liked Flus. Not big on defensive coaches as HC’s but I do think he’d instill a really good culture elsewhere. Just hope it’s  not in Houston or Jax.

As for the “who’s better” debate...all I’d say is my opinion on Flus hasn’t really wavered, always liked him. Some problems here and there (1st half D) of course. As for Reich...my criticisms have been growing. Could be much worse though. Still think he draws up some great legal pick plays.

Ultimately, time will tell, but I do agree with the original poster that Reich has got to stop being so stubborn with a certain mindset/analytics and adjust to the team, personnel that is being put out on the field. 

Flus seems overrated here.  Haven’t been seeing any buzz about him.  With the QB heavy draft coming, would expect offensive coaches getting majority of the jobs.    Colts getting blasted by Titans will be a stain in Flus this year.  Easier to say that Buckner and others are making the D great, not Flus.

19 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Not sure the exact details behind why our previous Oline coach was let go, that seems to be have been a big mistake. Letting Flus go and keeping Reich would be compounding our coaching problems.

He was a Josh McDaniels hire, and from his history he isn't the easiest guy to work with or has been successful. He was demoted in New England after when he took over their OL severely regressed, that's when they brought back their old OL coach. I believe he just took over the OL position coach for the Giants.

38 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The colts will certainly miss Flus, but given that he's never been a head coach before and this is just his first gig as a coordinator. . . it's IMO really really off to just pronounce him a better head coach than Reich.  

I mean offensively look what happened to the Eagles after they lost Reich.  They went from beating Brady in a shootout in the SB with a backup QB to their starting QB (who was in the MVP discussion in Reich's last year til he got hurt.) looking like a bum.

Will hate to see Flus go and our defense will probably take a hit as a result of him walking and some of the players walking.  But let's not pronounce him a better HC than Reich.  

Reich wasn't the only offensive assistant to leave the Eagles after that year.  But he was the last to be interviewed for a HC job thanks to McDaniels leaving the Colts high and dry.  And he got it.  The better candidates found jobs ahead of McDaniels leaving.  We might have been his only opportunity.  Reich can coach alright but being a HC requires an additional skill set that he might not possess.  He has many of us concerned and growing impatient. 

26 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Maybe I missed the news but where is Flus going?

When your unit is on top, teams take notice. You have Eric Belmeny and Robert Salah and then I'm not completely sure what other HC candidates there are. Someone will come calling for Flus

I actually think Frank is a really good HEAD coach. 
I think he’s a really good play designer.

I think he’s a really good game schemer. 

I even think he can be a good play caller. I just think calling plays and managing the entire game might be too much for him at the moment. I would love it if he handed over play calling duties to Siriani. It would show some humility and it would allow him to shift all his focus to managing the flow of the game. 

I used to think it would be smart to keep Flus over Reich but after giving it some time, without Buckner Flus isnt doing what he's doing and we saw that vs the Titans. 

He has also shown how terrible he is on the first half of games and I have no doubt that will continue into any HCing he does. 

While Frank Reich isn't lighting the world on fire, he doesn't start games THAT slow. 

If Frank had a real franchise QB, like Eberflus has with Buckner on the dline, then his problems wouldn't be so big. 

Because we don't have a true franchise QB this teams room for error is nill. Hence why Franks mistakes are being amplified. 

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I used to think it would be smart to keep Flus over Reich but after giving it some time, without Buckner Flus isnt doing what he's doing and we saw that vs the Titans. 

He has also shown how terrible he is on the first half of games and I have no doubt that will continue into any HCing he does. 

While Frank Reich isn't lighting the world on fire, he doesn't start games THAT slow. 

If Frank had a real franchise QB, like Eberflus has with Buckner on the dline, then his problems wouldn't be so big. 

Because we don't have a true franchise QB this teams room for error is nill. Hence why Franks mistakes are being amplified. 

I think Rivers is more than talented enough to win a SB with this team.  Having a so called franchise QB is not going to change how we use our RB's or how he calls the plays or manages the clock and his waste of time outs.  I feel very confident with Rivers out there.  We can win with Rivers.  The coach doesn't do him any favors with his play calling and use of his personnel. I think the coach has held the offense back.  

He’s going to get interviews this off-season. Bank on it. And if he doesn’t get an offer then it just means he’s even more likely in 2022. 

Reich is an upgrade over Pagano, but not much more than that. He’s not the kind of guy who is going to build the long-term strength and success of our program based on his ability to mold players into it. 

19 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s going to get interviews this off-season. Bank on it. And if he doesn’t get an offer then it just means he’s even more likely in 2022. 

Reich is an upgrade over Pagano, but not much more than that. He’s not the kind of guy who is going to build the long-term strength and success of our program based on his ability to mold players into it. 

How do you determine some who can build long term strength and program success?

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

Flus seems overrated here.  Haven’t been seeing any buzz about him.  With the QB heavy draft coming, would expect offensive coaches getting majority of the jobs.    Colts getting blasted by Titans will be a stain in Flus this year.  Easier to say that Buckner and others are making the D great, not Flus.

I typed in top head coaching candidates NFL on google and clicked on 3.  2 out of 3 of them mentioned him.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-to-consider-in-2021/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/11/head-coaching-candidates-2021

Only NBC sports doesn't.  But their ideas are dumb anyways, apparently they think NFL teams are interested in bringing back Bill O'Brian.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/top-2020-nfl-head-coaching-candidates

I will be shocked if he isn't picked up by someone for a head coaching gig.  The only reason that gives me some hope is that a lot of teams will be drafting QB's and those teams tend to prefer an offensive guru to mold their QB over a defensive head coach.  

Regardless I will still be shocked if Flus doesn't get a head coaching job.  

41 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

How do you determine some who can build long term strength and program success?

Is Frank taking guys like Quincy Wilson and turning them into productive players in the system? Has Frank created a system and culture with this team where a guy like Mack, or Costanzo go down and we don’t really fret because we know we have guys who know their job and can come in and do it in their absence? Not really. 

There’s a stark contrast between the way teams like the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots handle their business and the way we do. And Reich Isn’t enough of a trailblazer or an innovator ala McVay or Shanahan to build his worth that way. 

Reich runs the offense, but what is our offensive identity? Who are the Colts offensively? Are we a run first team? Do we run to set up the pass? Do we pass to set up the run? Do we try to open up some big throws with play action? We have no offensive identity. We have taken the same offensive line that just a year ago was considered if not the best at least one of the top 3 best units in the league and haven’t been able to impose our will in the running game this season. We don’t go into games these days knowing that if we need a receiver to get 100 yards and a score to win that we can do that. 

Our offense is an unpredictable hodgepodge every week that shows up hoping to hit on something that works. We’re not able to just show up and play a certain way and put the pressure on the defense to try and figure out a way to stop us. We put the pressure on ourselves trying to figure out what works this week instead. 

He’s an upgrade over Pagano, but that does not in any way mean there isn’t a vast amount of room for improvement. 

When most of us can tell you what play is coming, and what the result is going to be based on the formation we’re in that’s a clear sign that there’s an issue. 

Reich has done an outstanding job. We accomplished the impossible yesterday, we won with Clark and then Green at left tackle and overcame ridiculous 4th quarter officiating again. People need to start giving Reich some credit instead of all this nitpicking criticism.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Reich wasn't the only offensive assistant to leave the Eagles after that year.  But he was the last to be interviewed for a HC job thanks to McDaniels leaving the Colts high and dry.  And he got it.  The better candidates found jobs ahead of McDaniels leaving.  We might have been his only opportunity.  Reich can coach alright but being a HC requires an additional skill set that he might not possess.  He has many of us concerned and growing impatient. 

He’s 8-4 this year and had three different starting QBs in four years, two of those four years his starter wasn’t who was expected to be the starter going into the season and another who had to get used to a new team with all the Covid mess.  He’s also been to the playoffs and won a playoff game.  Does Frank have flaws?  Absolutely.  Is it fair to be concerned about those flaws?  Again absolutely.  Is he getting fired or is there a chance he can’t coach?  No.  Again, he’s 8-4.  He’s doing something right.  

The way some of you talk it’s amazing he doesn’t trip over his own two feet when he gets up in the morning.  Frank is a good but not great coach but great coaches are hard to find and few and far between.  Good coaches also aren’t easy to find.  So if you have one and fire him you had darn sure be right about the next guy,  despite what some think the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.  If people want to see what a bad coach looks like look at the Lions who just fired their coach or the Jets coach.  Those are bad coaches.  

While Reich needs to do better putting the right players in the right situations we do need to be careful about wanting him gone. Colts record is the best it has been since 2014. Remember the lions firing. Caldwell for Patricia. It’s not always better when you make a change. If Reich doesn’t retire I do think he needs a chance with a franchise QB. Like a poster said above Eberflus got his guy in Buckner so hopefully Eason is the guy or we draft the future soon.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

When your unit is on top, teams take notice. You have Eric Belmeny and Robert Salah and then I'm not completely sure what other HC candidates there are. Someone will come calling for Flus

Saleh was tops last year. Still DC for the 49ers last I checked. Premature topic here. 

Just my opinion but Frank is not going anywhere. 

Just because he called a play that didn't work all this steaming pile of horse dung is brought up? 

Fandom sometimes makes people lose their mind. 

As far as Flus I really don't know if he is even looking for a head coach job. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Rivers is more than talented enough to win a SB with this team.  Having a so called franchise QB is not going to change how we use our RB's or how he calls the plays or manages the clock and his waste of time outs.  I feel very confident with Rivers out there.  We can win with Rivers.  The coach doesn't do him any favors with his play calling and use of his personnel. I think the coach has held the offense back.  

I have a problem with Frank. But I dont want to replace him with Flus simply because Flus has done well with Buckner, and horrible without. 

Not so long ago people were calling for his head as well. 

Frank has some head scratching moments no doubt, but he is also a top 15 HC imo and who would be better? I'm not convinced its Flus. 

Rivers would be great but his injured toe is killing him when he absolutely needs to set his feet for throws. This makes that harder. 

There is no coaching dilemma.

Frank is not going to be fired by Irsay. It is a waste of time even bringing the subject up.

As far as Flus, I honestly don't have a clue. His name has certainly been brought up but this time of year is not the time to worry about it. 

Maybe this off season? 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To tell you the truth Flus is young enough and Reich is old enough it might be smart for Flus to stay here. Reich has two years left and he might retire after his contract is up which could then allow Flus to maybe takeover.  He has a good situation here. 

Frank is only 59 years old. I highly doubt he will be ready to retire in two years. 

Heck Belichick and Carroll are both 69 years old as an example. 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

When your unit is on top, teams take notice. You have Eric Belmeny and Robert Salah and then I'm not completely sure what other HC candidates there are. 

Hey.... don’t forget Gregg Williams... he’s thrown his hat into the mix!

:peek:

I also think Flus is overrated, especially by those who look at stats instead of the game.  

The D is almost always a tale of two half’s.  Average to poor in the first and good to great in the second.  You could say that’s because Flus is great at making adjustments.  You could also say he’s poor with his initial game plan.

As far as him going anywhere as a HC, are there any teams still looking for a defensive minded HC?  I doubt it.  

I hate to tell you that this defence was not so great last season and Flus was the coach  . Yes we had some player Excell. A coach is only as good as the players he has. Buckner and Autry where out against Tennessee and how did this defence look. First half was awful. This defence still has a long way to go Imo  secondary gets torched quite a bit. I love the Colts but I'm a realist. What's the old saying bet with your head not your heart. Go Colts

There is no dilemma.   No one has any idea if Fluss would even be a good head coach? He’s still proving himself at the Coordinator level. 

This is yet another Outraged Fan Thread expressing their unhappiness over a team that is 8-4 despite its flaws during the year with Covid. 

There’s good reason why ESPN coined the term “Over Reaction Monday”.    And here we are. 

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s 8-4 this year and had three different starting QBs in four years, two of those four years his starter wasn’t who was expected to be the starter going into the season and another who had to get used to a new team with all the Covid mess.  He’s also been to the playoffs and won a playoff game.  Does Frank have flaws?  Absolutely.  Is it fair to be concerned about those flaws?  Again absolutely.  Is he getting fired or is there a chance he can’t coach?  No.  Again, he’s 8-4.  He’s doing something right.  

The way some of you talk it’s amazing he doesn’t trip over his own two feet when he gets up in the morning.  Frank is a good but not great coach but great coaches are hard to find and few and far between.  Good coaches also aren’t easy to find.  So if you have one and fire him you had darn sure be right about the next guy,  despite what some think the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.  If people want to see what a bad coach looks like look at the Lions who just fired their coach or the Jets coach.  Those are bad coaches.  

Thanks, 8818!    Heckuva post!   Bravo!!   :thmup:

:colts:

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Remember, he was a very important part of the Eagles staff when they won the big one. How have they done since he left?

Archived