Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What quarterback in the 2020 draft do you want to lead this team

indyagent17

31 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I mean, if they get one of the guys that probably needs a year like Herbert or Eason, then it's the perfect situation because we have Jacoby next year anyways. Let em sit a year like Mahomes. 

I’m a big fan of Herbert. I think we should keep Jacoby but Herbert is definitely my #2 option 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that JB has shown us anything that says he absolutely cannot lead this team.  But he also hasn't show us much that says he can take this team deep into the playoffs, either.

We certainly have seen enough to know that our backup QB situation is unsatisfactory.  We really ought to look into spending one of our 2nd round picks on a QB.  If for nothing else than to stabilize the backup QB position.  Right now, that means looking into guys like Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Jordan Love, and K.J. Costello.  And if our pick winds up pushing JB for starting time, it can only help the franchise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Realistically I'd love Justin Herbert, and I think he could fall to us. We won't get Burrow or Tua, so Herbert is my choice in the 1st round. Jordan Love would be my 2nd round choice.

I don't get the love for Jordan Love on this forum.  11 TD's and 12 INT's this year in college.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like Brissett but I'm not convinced we can win a title with him. He hasn't shown an ability to stretch the field. I like Justin Herbert this year. 

We know Brissett isn't bad but there a guys out there who have higher ceilings than Brissett.  

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We would be 7-2 with him and this discussion would be comical. OK I guess we will find out what he does against the Jags, Texans, and Titans because we have to win them all now. 

I think the contract the Colts gave Brissett "leans" toward Ballard thinking Brissett will be a "bridge" next year. He just doesn't see the field or read defenses well  enough to be a top tier QB. He gets nicely paid for 2020 and my thinking is the Colts will have drafted their QB of the future. Now , if they can't trade up a few spots in the first to get their guy , all bets are off. But usually  when a team wants to draft a QB in the first , they find a guy they like and figure out a way to draft him. Lots of opinions and ifs ands and buts in my opinion but  thats the way I see it.

12 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Tua and Burrow are gone in the first 4-5 picks. The Bengals and Dolphins are taking QBs. That leaves Herbert, Fromm, Love, Eason, and Hurts...none of those guys really inspire confidence. Maybe if they could get the guy they want to drop to the Skins pick in the 2nd.

Com'on, you know every single year there's a handful of QBs people always say will go in the top 4-5 picks blah blah blah.  Then half those guys drop to the mid-first to late first/early second.

We're not even to the pre-combine part of the draft season.  What we know will change from day to day, month to month.  So these absolutes are far from concrete, so we shouldn't act like they are either.

That said, I don't know where Burrow goes, but I was pretty enamored with him whil watching the AL v. LSU game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MFT5 said:

Jordan Love

From the realistic options he would be my choice, but he's very likely to return to college. But if he doesn't and we draft him, IMO he won't be ready to start next year and he would need to redshirt his rookie year, which would be OK by me.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Realistically I'd love Justin Herbert, and I think he could fall to us. We won't get Burrow or Tua, so Herbert is my choice in the 1st round. Jordan Love would be my 2nd round choice.

Herbert is not falling to us. IMO you have to trade up to get him. Just think about it - Josh Allen who was a worse version, less accomplished version, less accurate version, less ready version of Herbert went top 10. No chance in hell Herbert slips past 10-12 range. I personally would trade up to get him but I've been higher on him than most around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Jordan love sucks. He is another hoyer

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Herbert is not falling to us. IMO you have to trade up to get him. Just think about it - Josh Allen who was a worse version, less accomplished version, less accurate version, less ready version of Herbert went top 10. No chance in hell Herbert slips past 10-12 range. I personally would trade up to get him but I've been higher on him than most around here.

2018 was very top heavy IMO, while 2020 could be very well rounded. I also can see us getting a top 15 pick with the rest of our schedule and our injuries. It's 50/50 IMO, but I don't see Herbert as a generational talent or anything. Just very solid.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

2018 was very top heavy IMO, while 2020 could be very well rounded. I also can see us getting a top 15 pick with the rest of our schedule and our injuries. It's 50/50 IMO, but I don't see Herbert as a generational talent or anything. Just very solid.

He's not generational talent by any means. But he does have very high end physical/athletic attributes and very high level arm strength and unlike Josh Allen, he's actually relatively accurate with his ball placement. He's completing something like 70% of his passes this year. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Who would you take in the 2nd round? Fromm is looking horrible, and there's not a lot of talent outside the big 3.

In my opinion  other than the top two guys all the other qbs are like josh rosen level.

Just now, Stephen said:

In my opinion  other than the top three guys all the other qbs are like josh rosen level.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

He's not generational talent by any means. But he does have very high end physical/athletic attributes and very high level arm strength and unlike Josh Allen, he's actually relatively accurate with his ball placement. He's completing something like 70% of his passes this year. 

That's why I like him and would have no problem trading up for him.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't get the love for Jordan Love on this forum.  11 TD's and 12 INT's this year in college.

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Jordan love sucks. He is another hoyer

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Why on earth would you want a 11 td 12 int qb. We got that in hoyer.

This is freaking horrendous comp. Like... legitimately. He plays nothing like Hoyer, his strengths are some of Hoyers's biggest weakness and vice versa. 

TDs/INTs is an extremely shallow and unsatisfactory way to evaluate what a QB is... and more importantly - what you will be drafting him to be in 2-3-5 years... 

Jordan Love is drawing Mahomes comps from NFL execs. He has high levels of athleticism and playmaking ability and very good pocket presence and movement. Last year he had 32TD/6INT if that's what you like to see, but during the summer he lost his offensive coaching staff, he lost his top 3 receivers, he lost several OLinemen and then two more got injured on an already depleted bad OLine. He's not been playing well this year and he's forcing a lot because it seems like he feels that he has to in order to give his team a chance. He's somewhat raw with his decision-making and he occasionally has some troubles with his footwork when throwing to the left, but IMO he's a very worthy flyer to take in the late 1st(if you want to get the 5th year). or early 2nd(WAS pick). 

He's not ready to play right away and you would have to work with him and develop him over his rookie season, similarly to how KC developed Mahomes, but yeah... his TD/INT ratio this year wouldn't dissuade me from picking him, developing him over the year, while keeping Brissett starting for us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Quarterback is far from our worst problem right now.  We need 2 dependable receivers, at least 1 linebacker and possibly an additional CB before we go for a QB.

At this point I'd spend that #1 pick on an LB, WR, or  heavy duty RB because Mack has been anything but consistent against good defenses.

Right now to me Marlon Mack looks like a #1B RB, that needs a heavier guy to play #1A.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree. People talking about they don't  like hoyer and Brissett.  If love starts next year for us I expect us to be picking in the top 3.

He won't be starting for us next year if we pick him. I'm almost certain. (well unless Brissett gets injured or something) 

You draft Love/Eason with the idea of developing them behind Brissett for the first year. This is one of the positives of that Brissett contract ... you have him under control for one more year, he can serve as your bridge QB if you draft a QB you love in the draft. 

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is freaking horrendous comp. Like... legitimately. He plays nothing like Hoyer, his strengths are some of Hoyers's biggest weakness and vice versa. 

TDs/INTs is an extremely shallow and unsatisfactory way to evaluate what a QB is... and more importantly - what you will be drafting him to be in 2-3-5 years... 

Jordan Love is drawing Mahomes comps from NFL execs. He has high levels of athleticism and playmaking ability and very good pocket presence and movement. Last year he had 32TD/6INT if that's what you like to see, but during the summer he lost his offensive coaching staff, he lost his top 3 receivers, he lost several OLinemen and then two more got injured on an already depleted bad OLine. He's not been playing well this year and he's forcing a lot because it seems like he feels that he has to in order to give his team a chance. He's somewhat raw with his decision-making and he occasionally has some troubles with his footwork when throwing to the left, but IMO he's a very worthy flyer to take in the late 1st(if you want to get the 5th year). or early 2nd(WAS pick). 

He's not ready to play right away and you would have to work with him and develop him over his rookie season, similarly to how KC developed Mahomes, but yeah... his TD/INT ratio this year wouldn't dissuade me from picking him, developing him over the year, while keeping Brissett starting for us. 

Mahomes never had a season so bad that he was anything close to that TD/INT ratio.   His ratios have always been extremely positive.

Seems to me that Love's possible poor decision making may have been exposed.  

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Mahomes never had a season so bad that he was anything close to that TD/INT ratio.   His ratios have always been extremely positive.

Seems to me that Love's possible poor decision making may have been exposed.  

Oh he does have decision-making problems for sure, if he didn't we wouldn't be talking about him being there late 1st-2nd round, he would be top 10 lock. He makes some legit "wth WERE YOU THINKING" throws, but then you have to add the context of what situation he's put in and why he's forcing it so much more than he did last year when he had a tremendous season. IMO a lot of it is explained by the picture I painted above. First he's playing at a small school without much talent around him, then he loses his HC and offensive staff in the off-season, then he loses his top 3 target from last season, then he loses 3OLinemen before the season and 2 starting tackles after the season has started to injuries. This is not to excuse his performance, but rather to give some context - even with all those things, he still needs to play better and he needs to clean up that stuff and he needs to clean up some of his lower body mechanics. He has work to do to be ready to be an NFL starter, but the high end skills and talent are still there... 

This is why I've said already that if we draft him, he will very likely have to sit the first year and develop behind Brissett. We have that luxury. Brissett is good enough to give us some base level performance and give us a chance to win. And in the meantime you let Love learn and you coach him hard for the following season. 

15 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If they kept playing Hoyer we'd probably have our pick of the litter lol. 

In all seriousness, if they're picking in the 15-20 range they could take Herbert, Love, Fromm, or Hurts. If they wait til the 2nd then that list probably shrinks considerably. Idk that they take anyone, a lot will depend on how JB finishes the season, but up to this point he's been fairly impressive. 

It would be great if Herbert fell to us or we moved up to get him.