Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What quarterback in the 2020 draft do you want to lead this team

indyagent17

I think they will stick with JB in all likelihood.  Especially where we will likely be picking. I think Jacoby will have to stink it up pretty bad from here until the end of the season for us to package up a number of picks and move up to take a QB.  The Colts love JB and they've repeatedly said that over and over again.  I think they really believe he can get it done with this staff in place.  Ballards probably going to opt to make the team around him even better by beefing up the lines a little more and adding to the WR group.  When the linebacking corps got riddled with injuries last year he strengthened the linebackers in the draft.  We see the same thing happening with the WR Corps and we've got some moves that need to be made on the DL and 1 or 2 on the OL.  I'm expecting that will be his focus in the draft and FA.  Maybe another CB or two with the probably losses of Desir and Quincy Wilson. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I didn't blame Mack for the run game...I am talking about the talent level. For this season, I think it's the lack of light front carries moreso than stacked boxes. The average defenders in the box is about the same as last year...and he is on pace to only see 4-5 more stacked box carries vs. last year. But the light front carries are down and that's where his production came from last year.

The lack of light front carries is either play calling, or JB's choice. Light front carries may also be down simply because of down and distance when facing light fronts. I'm guessing this goes at least partly to JB's struggles with reading Ds.

And using "stacked box" stats are very imperfect. It's not always about what how many are in the box, it's what those guys do when the ball is snapped. The stacked box stat typically only measures 8+ defenders in the box at the time of snap. What it doesn't tell you is what the front seven does. Do the LBs play the run or go into coverage is the more accurate measurement, along with how much nickel and dime coverage you see. 

If I were a D vs JB, I'd go standard package (no nickel/dime) most of the time, and have the LBs play run or shallow crossing, which is what we are generally seeing. 4 DBs on standard downs is sufficient vs our current O. 

A big part of the decrease is on the QB...and I am sure the last two games with Hoyer has only increased the base front and stacked front carries. But Mack is also part of it. He's not a pass-catching threat...and he's running the ball on half the plays he's in...so it makes the offense a bit more predictable. 

I'm going to say Reich and JB are making it more predictable. If the passing game is more successful, and the play calling isn't as conservative, we're not having this problem at all. Like I said in a previous post, very few team have RB1s that are dynamic in both running and passing. And honestly that's not Reich's O.

So I don't want a RB2...I want a more well-rounded RB1a. Give me a Nick Chubb or an Aaron Jones type.

Mack is 12 of 14 (yes only 14), so he's been very reliable. It's more lack of targets and play calling if anything. 

And Hines is alright...but he's not really an APB...because he can't run the ball. They just do that to keep the defense honest and it's typically a wasted play. But even if we call him an APB...he's fairly average. He has gotten better at making plays after the catch for sure...but still not that dynamic.

He is an APB. An APB does not run it between the tackles often, and that's what Reich typically calls for him... An APB is a change of pace back that is usually more edge, sweep, receiving,  and gimmicky. I'd say his "average" play, is a product of use type.

If I can't have that well-rounded RB1a...then I want a dynamite APB...ala James White or Duke Johnson...or Miles Sanders.

White rushing is 32 attempts for 104 yards, and a 3.3 average. Hines is 22 for 66 and 3.0 with mostly between the T rushes. Last year with Luck, Hines was 85/315 and 3.7 rushing.... do you see the difference.... 

Ideally, I can have both...but it's rare to have that setup...like NO the past couple of years. Right now, I just feel like the Colts are missing parts to the RB game...and I think some investment could be made.

Yes it's rare to have a stud #1 RB that excels in both. I think we are under utilizing Mack in the passing game, and I think Hines is hampered by both rush play calling, and by JB in the passing game. That's what they numbers suggest anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Should have taken Darnold when Ballard had the chance.  No guard -- even Nelson -- is remotely worth a promising young QB.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhh! Fail.......

Below are their respective stats for this season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisJa00.htm

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We had Luck. No one could of imagined he was going to retire. But I do get your point because he hadn’t returned yet from that shoulder. 

28 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhh! Fail.......

Below are their respective stats for this season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisJa00.htm

:troll:

Meaning the poster you responded to.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I love the draft when drafting/knowing we will get a QB like Luck lol. I promised Stitches I would quit comparing QB's to him coming out but there is nobody like him coming out. I like Burrow but he is going #1 and yeah I guess you never know, we could get a QB in the late 1st round or even the 2nd round that can turn out like Mahomes but it is doubtful.  

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

Sorry for the lyrical detour... IMO the absolute 'can't miss' prospects are very few. The Lucks and Mannings of the world would have been great with pretty much anyone steering their careers. And Luck pretty much did become a great QB by having some horrible coaching that not only didn't develop his talents like they should have, but actively worked against him and put him at risk, which ultimately lead to his early retirement. 

My point is - you are very likely not going to get a Luck/Manning type in the teens or twenties of the draft. The QBs in that area have some pronounced strengths, some elite traits, but they also have some weaknesses that might be the reason they fail. Those players need good environment to cultivate their talents and mold them into winning players. Part of it is the clay that is the player and his innate talents/physical attributes/skill. Part of it is the 'concentrated power of will' of the player to be great and improve, part of it is having the coach who knows the players' strengths and weaknesses and steers his development on a path to success. And part of it is also luck.

IMO we have good enough coach to be confident in our chances of developing a QB with talent. Thus the question really comes down to - do you think the player has the combination of skills that if developed will give you a commander of a highly efficient offense and do you think he has the mentality and determination to work on achieving that goal?

To some degree we as fans can watch the tape and evaluate some of those strengths and weaknesses of the players. But what we don't have is really the intel on the players off-field and how they attack their job on daily basis. For example, I love what I see from Herbert on the field... but... I've also heard things about his (lack of) leadership qualities, about him being 'soft' and way too quiet. I have no idea how to evaluate that. I have no idea to what degree this is true and to what degree it is a problem at all. Luck was never very  vocal, but I never thought his style of leadership was bad or counterproductive in any way. His teammates seemed to love him and he lead offenses to good/great efficiency with some atrocious protection, coaching and run game. 

So yeah, ultimately we will have to trust Ballard and his staff in whatever they decide to do after the season. 

• Like 1