Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What quarterback in the 2020 draft do you want to lead this team

indyagent17

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

2 pages in and nobody has mentioned Chad Kelly? 

You guys are slipping lol 

You're right.  We DO need to find out what Kelly can do in some real games.

We would be kicking ourselves for years and be a big laughing stock if he got away and turned into Drew Brees II.

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard, Irsay and Reich will try to talk Luck into coming back.  That's our best option really though Burrow looks like he has "It". 

I said it the day he retired.  Screw pride or whatever is going through your mind, if he wants to return next year, you take him back in a heartbeat.  He retired at 29.  You could still get another decade of elite QB play out of him.  His shoulder is healed - there is nothing seriously physically wrong with him, and he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete on earth to retire and then decide to return.

In January, you have to sit down with him and see where he's at.  If he wants to play, he is your best option moving forward.  

The real value comes in 2021, with Lawrence and Fields. Fields looks like a better Deshaun Watson, and Lawrence was the few players ever to be ranked a .9999 on 247 Composite. Lawrence isn't having as great a year as he did last year, but like @stitcheseluded to, it isn't all about TD/INT, that dude has the tools to legit be the next Aaron Rodgers. The problem with this is that those guys are in all likelihood going #1 and #2 next year. 

14 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The real value comes in 2021, with Lawrence and Fields. Fields looks like a better Deshaun Watson, and Lawrence was the few players ever to be ranked a .9999 on 247 Composite. Lawrence isn't having as great a year as he did last year, but like @stitcheseluded to, it isn't all about TD/INT, that dude has the tools to legit be the next Aaron Rodgers. The problem with this is that those guys are in all likelihood going #1 and #2 next year. 

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

I can understand settling for inferior back up QBs if you have a franchise  QB, Peyton did it all the time  with Sorgi, but he  was a iron man through most of his carrier. but to have a good but not franchise  type  QB the second guy up is crucial. We have no back up that can take the team  forward unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm yet to really dive into Fields... is he really that good? I've watched several games (without specifically watching for him) and I don't think he jumped at me as a special type of QB and definitely not better than Deshaun Watson, but I might have just had weird luck with games. 

The thing with players like that is... if they are really that special, we won't be in position to draft them. I kind of refuse to daydream about the Lawrences or Burrows of the world. That's why I'm resigned to watching the other players that are not perfect and need to be developed past their flaws, players that have high end traits and talent but will need time and work to get there. In this draft my 2 guys are Herbert and Love. I would trade up for Herbert if a reasonable trade is available(not selling the farm for him, but still would probably give an extra 1st to get him). I also would be OK picking Love either with our own 1st or with the WAS second(maybe trade up at the end of the 1st with the WAS second if we want the extra 5th year on the contract). 

Lawrence and Fields were 1 and 2 in their recruiting class, and will likely be 1 and 2 in the draft. Fields is having a great year man, he has almost 2000 passing yards with 27 TDs and ONE pick, and 350 more rushing yards and 10 TDs on the ground, his QBR is 93.1 which is 3rd in the country. Dude is legit. You should check him out. 

Yeah, I hear you man, the team is just too good to have a shot at those guys and Ballard isn't selling the farm for one of those guys (whether he should or not is another story). 

I like Herbert better out of the two you listed, but Love probably has the better ceiling. Herbert has guided Oregon to a great season and a likely spot in the CFP if they win out. He could really help his stock if he keeps playing well, especially against upper echelon teams in the CFP. May put himself out of our reach, will just depend how we fare down the stretch. I'm honestly okay with them losing down the stretch, if it means having a shot at a franchise guy like that or a tank on defense like Isaiah Simmons from Clemson or Epenesa from Iowa. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

We had the luxury  of a  franchise  QB for 2 decades, that being said can we win without one? The Eagles showed us that , but that is under the perfect conditions    Other wise we are just treading water  for the time being , hoping for a miracle.  

Yeah, with guys that could catch passes. We don't have that luxury, and Foles is Patrick Mahomes compared to Hoyer. 

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

What's your thoughts on Eason from I think Wash. St?

30 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eason is the QB at Udub (Washington). He was one of the highest rated recruits in the country, regardless of position. He committed to Georgia, got "beat out" by Fromm, and transferred to Washington and sat a year. He's a huge dude, like Herbert, 6 foot 6 closer to 6'7 and 235-240. He's your prototype pocket passer ala Manning/Luck, and has a live arm. He still needs some fine tuning, but he would be my choice if Tua and Burrow are off the board, assuming we can't get Herbert...so I guess he's my 4th choice. This QB class is stocked tho, as many as 6-7 could go in the 1st. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I like him, but he's the one I have most hesitation about(from the R1 QBs). He's good but not great at most things. Pocket passer, big QB. The first several times I watched his arm looked OK, but in more recent games he's made some throws that need high level arm strength. It seems like he might actually have a pretty good arm. He can make plays out of the pocket and off platform but rarely runs, which is somewhat of a weird combo. Good accuracy, good anticipation, so-so movement in the pocket. I'd like him to be a bit better dealing with pressure, this is probably the weakest part of his game. He kind of panics a bit, retreats, rather than step up in the pocket. 

But overall he seems like a very solid prospect. If Ballard likes him and drafts him, I'd be happy to roll with him, seems like he can be a good QB with relatively high upside if he develops. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This forum is gonna be a mess come draft season, split down the middle on Brissett or draft a QB. Luckily I don't have to make that decision. 

We should have a fairly obvious choice by then. Either JB will play good enough to earn the job or he won't. Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft.

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

We should have a fairly obvious choice by then. Either JB will play good enough to earn the job or he won't. Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft.

Yeah you would think. What I'm afraid of is that it's stuck somewhere in the middle, Brissett plays just well enough that we pass on a QB in a class stocked full of them and up stuck in mediocrity. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah you would think. What I'm afraid of is that it's stuck somewhere in the middle, Brissett plays just well enough that we pass on a QB in a class stocked full of them and up stuck in mediocrity. 

Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft. but that's why I said,"Regardless , we need to address the position fairly high in the draft. "

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Why are you so high on love. He has a 11 tds and 12 ints

2 hours ago, #12. said:

I said it the day he retired.  Screw pride or whatever is going through your mind, if he wants to return next year, you take him back in a heartbeat.  He retired at 29.  You could still get another decade of elite QB play out of him.  His shoulder is healed - there is nothing seriously physically wrong with him, and he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete on earth to retire and then decide to return.

In January, you have to sit down with him and see where he's at.  If he wants to play, he is your best option moving forward.  

If he wants to come back I'd trade him for one of the top two picks

33 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This forum is gonna be a mess come draft season, split down the middle on Brissett or draft a QB. Luckily I don't have to make that decision. 

It depends on how the season finishes for me. I am giving JB this whole season to prove his worth. If he plays next week and we go on a run, lets say we finish 10-6 and win the division than I am for him being our QB next season. If he plays average to bad and we finish 8-8 than I am for Ballard drafting a QB.

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Why are you so high on love. He has a 11 tds and 12 ints

I posted earlier in the thread about it. I like his traits and physical attributes. The kid has a lot of talent. He's not played great this year, but there are a lot of things that go into it. He does a lot of the things he needs to do really well. He has great arm, he has amazing playmaking on the move(I see why NFL execs compare him to Mahomes), he has really good pocket presence and he moves in the pocket well, steps into his throws fearlessly. And for a player with such a strong arm, you have to see his touch passes, they are a thing of beauty, he can put air under the ball, he has variety of passes and the ball looks beautiful leaving his arm on most of them. He has the bullet passes, he has the lob passes, his "drop in the bucket" passes to the boundary are awesome, he has sidearm passes.

That's not to say he is amazing at everything(if he was, we wouldn't be talking about him dropping to the second round). He needs work on his footwork, he needs work on his decisionmaking, because he has been making a lot of wth throws this year... throws where you sit there and wonder why did he think he can fit the ball in that window, or why didn't he see the lurking defender, etc. IMO a lot of it has to do with him being forced to do too much because of how horrible the rest of his roster is. Just feels like he's trying to compensate because he knows if he doesn't score 35-40 they aren't winning. 

He's raw and he needs work, but his traits and talent are very high level... I'd draft him and sit him to learn behind Brissett for the first year and I would let Frank develop him over the duration of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I posted earlier in the thread about it. I like his traits and physical attributes. The kid has a lot of talent. He's not played great this year, but there are a lot of things that go into it. He does a lot of the things he needs to do really well. He has great arm, he has amazing playmaking on the move(I see why NFL execs compare him to Mahomes), he has really good pocket presence and he moves in the pocket well, steps into his throws fearlessly. And for a player with such a strong arm, you have to see his touch passes, they are a thing of beauty, he can put air under the ball, he has variety of passes and the ball looks beautiful leaving his arm on most of them. He has the bullet passes, he has the lob passes, his "drop in the bucket" passes to the boundary are awesome, he has sidearm passes.

That's not to say he is amazing at everything(if he was, we wouldn't be talking about him dropping to the second round). He needs work on his footwork, he needs work on his decisionmaking, because he has been making a lot of wth throws this year... throws where you sit there and wonder why did he think he can fit the ball in that window, or why didn't he see the lurking defender, etc. IMO a lot of it has to do with him being forced to do too much because of how horrible the rest of his roster is. Just feels like he's trying to compensate because he knows if he doesn't score 35-40 they aren't winning. 

He's raw and he needs work, but his traits and talent are very high level... I'd draft him and sit him to learn behind Brissett for the first year and I would let Frank develop him over the duration of the season. 

I guess draft him and have him work with house on mechanics for a year and then see what he does the next year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I guess draft him and have him work with house on mechanics for a year and then see what he does the next year

I think that should be the plan regardless of how Brissett plays rest the way, may as well get a guy with high upside like Love, Eason, or Herbert to groom behind JB. What's the worst that could happen, the guy ends up being the franchise QB? If nothing else, JB is still the QB, it's a win win. 

I want the QB who stands in the pocket, runs very little, distributes the ball with accuracy to move the chains, and throws very few interceptions.  Sometimes he can throw it deep, but that's not terribly important.  And I hope he has good chemistry with the WR we'll be taking in the 1st round.

We're 0-7 in the 7 games TY hasn't played, IIRC.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I want the QB who stands in the pocket, runs very little, distributes the ball with accuracy to move the chains, and throws very few interceptions.  Sometimes he can throw it deep, but that's not terribly important.  And I hope he has good chemistry with the WR we'll be taking in the 1st round.

And I bet you want him to win all the games, feed the hungry and clothe the poor. In the off season he can cure cancer. 

Just kidding. We can hope, can we.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That little int part is very important. If we draft a qb they need to have good field awareness  and not force  throws 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, Smoke317 said:

Burrow looking like he may be the guy this year.  But if I had a choice, give me Justin Fields in 2021.

Burrow is lighting it up this year and what he did against Alabama was fantastic.  I could also see him sliding a bit in the draft because he has only had one fantastic year.  IN his favor (going higher in the draft) he does play in a pro style system and has the pocket awareness and arm to make all the throws).  But unless a guy is an elite athlete, NFL teams don't like to draft guys high with only 2 years of starting experience and 1 year of great starting experience.

of course it may be wishful thinking on my part that he could slide out of the top 10

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Burrow is lighting it up this year and what he did against Alabama was fantastic.  I could also see him sliding a bit in the draft because he has only had one fantastic year.  IN his favor (going higher in the draft) he does play in a pro style system and has the pocket awareness and arm to make all the throws).  But unless a guy is an elite athlete, NFL teams don't like to draft guys high with only 2 years of starting experience and 1 year of great starting experience.

of course it may be wishful thinking on my part that he could slide out of the top 10

As it currently stands, he isn't sliding out of the Top 1. He's a lock to go first, he's put enough on film against several defenses loaded with NFL talent. Google it, scouts are drooling over this kid, so much so that he's supplanted Tua as the QB1 in the class, which is no easy feat. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, MFT5 said:

Jordan Love

Jordan Love needs another year in the college system

He has tried to be everything to his team, and has failed this year

If he comes out......  he is doing it prematurely

But.......

I would ABSOLUTELY take the kid (If he comes out) if he is still available for our 2nd round pick in the 2nd

He has a TON of talent... needs some more time "in the oven"

He could sit behind JB next year and maybe be the franchise player the year following

20 hours ago, stitches said:

I think I repeated you without reading your post  :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colts1919 said:

Soooo .. no discussion of putting Newton behind a good offensive line - getting another receiver, adding more D in the draft and Winning a Super Bowl??? 

Nah......

The defensive coordinators have figured his game out.....

He is benched on his own team.... his chance of helping us is low