Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible OL regression this year?

BProland85

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/9/6/20853222/howard-mudd-steps-down-as-colts-senior-offensive-assistant

Anyone else a little bit worried this OL could regress a little due to losing Coach Gugs last year and replacing him with Strausser this season? 

I do not think they will regress. After playing and having the season they had last season, they know how to play together as a unit. Nelson is a leader and will have that unit playing well IMO. AC is a solid Vet and will keep things under control. Kelly staying healthy is a key to the running game though, health is my only worry.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/9/6/20853222/howard-mudd-steps-down-as-colts-senior-offensive-assistant

Anyone else a little bit worried this OL could regress a little due to losing Coach Gugs last year and replacing him with Strausser this season? 

It’s early yet but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a concern, due mostly to not having reps together in this “new era” of not playing starters in the preseason. I think the Oline play league-wide will be one area that suffers a little but will improve as the year goes on.

As far as the coaching change: I’m trusting Ballard and Reich on this one. They had their reasons for making the change.

As far as Mudd stepping down; he’s 77 and he might feel they’re going to be fine. Perhaps he’s just not up to it, physically.

• Like 1

I've been pretty vocal in the idea that our OL could take a step back, but not because of this news. This doesn't seem like it was a shocking move or anything. Mudd just helped with the transition from Gugs to Strausser.

But as for possible regression? I think it's very possible. Guys like Glow not repeating his career year...Smith having a sophomore slump...not having Luck making the pre-snap reads...Kelly's injury history popping back up at any moment...lots of things could happen for the worse (and for the better, of course, but I'm just pointing out reasons why they could take a step back).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do not think they will regress. After playing and having the season they had last season, they know how to play together as a unit. Nelson is a leader and will have that unit playing well IMO. AC is a solid Vet and will keep things under control. Kelly staying healthy is a key to the running game though, health is my only worry.

There is more to it than just a new coach.  Howard Mudd is known for a technique that dictates an aggressive first step ("quick step"). This really works for some and possibly not others.  It is a pretty radical change in technique and there could be some growing pains.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/13/18585089/the-mudd-technique-and-how-it-impacts-braden-smith

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bhougland said:

There is more to it than just a new coach.  Howard Mudd is known for a technique that is dictates an aggressive first step ("quick step"). This really works for some and possibly not others.  It is a pretty radical change in technique and there could be some growing pains.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/13/18585089/the-mudd-technique-and-how-it-impacts-braden-smith

This

I think they over-achieved last year.  Also, it might take a couple weeks to get comfortable since they havent played much together this year added to new coaching philosophy.

It wouldnt surprise me.'

Jacoby has also had a habit of holding onto the ball too long which could also create an appearance of regression.

Ol play is like a synchronized dance.  It takes practice and playing TOGETHER to build and maintain that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've been pretty vocal in the idea that our OL could take a step back, but not because of this news. This doesn't seem like it was a shocking move or anything. Mudd just helped with the transition from Gugs to Strausser.

But as for possible regression? I think it's very possible. Guys like Glow not repeating his career year...Smith having a sophomore slump...not having Luck making the pre-snap reads...Kelly's injury history popping back up at any moment...lots of things could happen for the worse (and for the better, of course, but I'm just pointing out reasons why they could take a step back).

Yes our sack numbers dropped dramtically last season, but we were more middle of the pack in total pressures. Having Doyel back should help.
 I think we will be a better offensive team than last season.

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yes our sack numbers dropped dramtically last season, but we were more middle of the pack in total pressures. Having Doyel back should help.

We will not be an overall better offense than last year. Brissett is not near the talent Luck was

Yeah, any team can regress, and it’s particularly easy if you had an unexpectedly good year.  However, returning five starters on one of the best lines in the league (with only one old player) is a pretty admirable situation.  Don’t over-think.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, bhougland said:

There is more to it than just a new coach.  Howard Mudd is known for a technique that dictates an aggressive first step ("quick step"). This really works for some and possibly not others.  It is a pretty radical change in technique and there could be some growing pains.

Good point but I still think the O.Line will be a strong point to our team. 

28 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think they over-achieved last year.  Also, it might take a couple weeks to get comfortable since they havent played much together this year added to new coaching philosophy.

It wouldnt surprise me.'

Jacoby has also had a habit of holding onto the ball too long which could also create an appearance of regression.

Ol play is like a synchronized dance.  It takes practice and playing TOGETHER to build and maintain that.

He also held on to the ball cause of Pagano's stupidly vertical offense though, so there's that. I'm not as worried about that factor. 

Overall, they played together last year. They've had the whole offseason together. Sure, it's possible that this could be a down year, but all in all, O line is the least of my concerns after these rough few weeks...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Worried... no, if it's not a game I am coaching, I do not worry over a football game.

But I do expect them to regress a bit because I think one of Gugleianaemawdafdnb's best attributes was scouting the opposing team and getting the players prepared for the things to look for during the play.  Strausser is an unknown (to me), so until he shows me that he is as good at that as his predecessor then I will expect a regression.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't think that is true.  According to Football Outsiders, Luck was the 7th least pressured QB in the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good point but I still think the O.Line will be a strong point to our team. 

I do too.  But i wont be surprised if they look a lil rusty the first few games.  Im not sure how much Andrew helped the line either but I'd expect JB to not be at the same level.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's going to be hard to measure this. If they give up more sacks is it regression on the o-lines part or because Brissett's still holding onto the ball too long (and longer than luck last year). What if we give up more sacks but run the ball much better? Is that regression? 

Reich’s scheme will have Brissett getting the balk our quicker. I think the oline is going to be measured more one the run game then pass protection. 18 sacks last year was ridiculous. I won’t be surprised if it is a few more this year.

It should be expected. The Mudd news is worrying but even before that, the fact that a successful and admired (by most of the Oline anyhow) O-Line coach (Guge) was let go of for nebulous reasons was probably the biggest issue I've had with the Reich regime. That guy led the best Line in the country and you let him go...why? Anyone know the reason?

Name how many O-lines have been dominant for years running? In recent times, the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, Eagles all had great lines but all it takes is injury to one person and the house of cards comes crumbling. If Castonzo goes down, this O-line is in trouble. Regression should be expected. If it doesn't happen, then EXCELLENT but we're going to need full health first to even begin to hope for that. Then next, hope that Coach Strausser's methods are as superb as we've been told they are.

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its URGENT

I HOPE JB or Kelly are lighting it up so we can go OT, and not worry about the next QB

If Brissett doesn’t workout, there’s several QBs in FA next season.

T. Bridgewater

J. Winston 

M. Mariotta 

Just look at those franchise signal callers! 

I think regression is very possible, and probably likely.

Luck ranked top 10 in TTT (time to throw) last year and that helped the OL look very good.

JB ranked bottom 10 in TTT in 2017, and simply has held on to the ball too long.

JB has a lot better weapons around him which should help, and I'm sure Reich has been working with him to improve his TTT. 

Going to be interesting, but the better TTT, the easier for the OL.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Luck ranked top 10 in TTT (time to throw) last year and that helped the OL look very good.

JB ranked bottom 10 in TTT in 2017, and simply has held on to the ball too long.

JB has a lot better weapons around him which should help, and I'm sure Reich has been working with him to improve his TTT. 

TTT is created by the o line

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Luck had been close to last in the league with getting the ball out. Last  year because of Reichs schemes Luck improved to 6th. Reichs quick passing approach my guess will help with that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If Brissett doesn’t workout, there’s several QBs in FA next season.

T. Bridgewater

J. Winston 

M. Mariotta 

Just look at those franchise signal callers! 

I read a article when JB was re signed. One of the reasons that was stated they decided to give him the two year deal is they did not like any of the QB who would be FA.

52 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It should be expected. The Mudd news is worrying but even before that, the fact that a successful and admired (by most of the Oline anyhow) O-Line coach (Guge) was let go of for nebulous reasons was probably the biggest issue I've had with the Reich regime. That guy led the best Line in the country and you let him go...why? Anyone know the reason?

Name how many O-lines have been dominant for years running? In recent times, the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, Eagles all had great lines but all it takes is injury to one person and the house of cards comes crumbling. If Castonzo goes down, this O-line is in trouble. Regression should be expected. If it doesn't happen, then EXCELLENT but we're going to need full health first to even begin to hope for that. Then next, hope that Coach Strausser's methods are as superb as we've been told they are.

Because Reich wanted to put more emphasis on running and felt Guge was not going to allow him to do that. It was just a difference in philosophy.

57 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sheeze.... mudd retired today...... new system, and the new architect retires?

That cant be good

According to Reich there was never a timeline on how long he would stay. Reich said he came in and helped and that is all they were asking. He isn’t the oline coach. This isn’t that big of a deal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigQungus said:

He also held on to the ball cause of Pagano's stupidly vertical offense though, so there's that. I'm not as worried about that factor. 

Overall, they played together last year. They've had the whole offseason together. Sure, it's possible that this could be a down year, but all in all, O line is the least of my concerns after these rough few weeks...

To those that are judging Brissett you cant judge his talent based on what he looked like in the old regime's system that is just meaningless.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

TTT is created by the o line

TTT is a factor of several things. The O scheme, the QBs ability to go through progressions quickly and accurately, open WRs, and to an extent the OL keeping the D at bay. A QB in a quick hit scheme (like FR's), and with fast/open WRs, will not need an OL to hold the D for that long. One could say OL rankings are a product of TTT, instead of TTT created by the OL.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck had been close to last in the league with getting the ball out. Last  year because of Reichs schemes Luck improved to 6th. Reichs quick passing approach my guess will help with that.

Yup it should. My big concern with JB is his ability to go through progressions quickly and simply hit the open guys accurately. I think both 16 and 17 stats are products of a poor WR group more than anything else. Both scheme and the improved WR group should both help.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because Reich wanted to put more emphasis on running and felt Guge was not going to allow him to do that. It was just a difference in philosophy.

That's a really generic response. I heard Reich give that answer...it's a noncommittal comment. Now, I don't think Reich is going to explain exactly what he wants and how Guge couldn't do it but the Colts ran the ball well towards the second half of last season and into the playoffs so really, does that answer satisfy you? It doesn't jive with what we saw. I'm no O-line expert though so maybe there's someone here who really knows that unit who can expand on what Guge didn't have which Strausser can bring.

Also, the way the league functions these days, placing an emphasis on running the ball can be a deadly thing to do. If Pagano was saying he wanted to emphasize the run, we'd go nuts I think. (*granted Reich has shown in his one year that he knows the importance of the passing game).

The philosophy that matters is winning. You blend philosophies if they allow you win, Reich has said that much so there's got to be something more. Either way, we'll see with Coach Strausser, not long now. For the love of all that's good, I hope he can at least have the line perform as well as last team's version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We loaded up on defense this year. Next year it’s time to load up on Oline. A good one at left tackle and maybe a couple in the second or third round for depth.

We won't spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL depth.   Almost nobody in football does.

Depth typically comes from Day 3....    4th and 5th rounds.

But we might spend a 1 or a 2 to replace Costanzo if we decide his best days are behind him or if we can't agree to a long term deal with him.