Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is with all the Deshaun Watson hype?

Lucky Colts Fan

I've seen a number of articles online calling Deshaun Watson a top-10 QB.

Now this:  nfl-superstar-club-deshaun-watson-gets-in-tom-brady-booted  where Dan Hanzus of NFL.com says Watson will become a "superstar" this year, replacing Tom Brady in his top-10 QB list.

I admit I didn't watch a lot of Texans games last year.  I just watched them against the Colts, and he really didn't look that impressive against us.  Is that a testament to our defense?  Is Watson really that good?  Do Watson, Mahomes, and Mayfield deserve all this hype after just one season under center?  :scratch:

20 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've seen a number of articles online calling Deshaun Watson a top-10 QB.

Now this:  nfl-superstar-club-deshaun-watson-gets-in-tom-brady-booted  where Dan Hanzus of NFL.com says Watson will become a "superstar" this year, replacing Tom Brady in his top-10 QB list.

I admit I didn't watch a lot of Texans games last year.  I just watched them against the Colts, and he really didn't look that impressive against us.  Is that a testament to our defense?  Is Watson really that good?  Do Watson, Mahomes, and Mayfield deserve all this hype after just one season under center?  :scratch:

Every year the media is going to hype a team or player that shouldn't be hyped its just for fairness of being noticed :funny:

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good jon this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

• Like 2

He's a really talented young QB with flashy physical gifts, but he needs refinement in the technical areas. He can make enough plays now to win games, the question is whether he'll be able to master some of the finer details of QBing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mahomes and Mayfield have played one season.  They certainly are talented but one year doesn't  define a career.  I think teams will be more ready for them this year.  We shall see though.  Watson, on the other hand, has played a few years with NFL coaching and with talented players. He's another talented QB who seems to lose focus at times and reverts back to trying to do it all himself.  At least that's how I see him.  He likes to believe he really is Superman at times.  A very self centered player who I am glad is not a Colt.  

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Caleb3502 said:

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good job this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

Totally disagree there. Accuracy is suspect, yes!!! But he has plenty of arm strength, IMO. His issues border around his accuracy, deep or middle. However, if he has a guy with the catch radius of Hopkins, he just needs to be what Stafford was for Megatron, use that catch radius and get it to his vicinity. He has plenty of arm strength to lead a speedster like Fuller, and has done so several times over the last 2 years. 

Fine aspects of QBing like reading blitzes and making decisions under pressure, he has some ways to go when compared to Luck. 

• Thanks 1

I think Watson had a very good rookie year and was a huge pleasant surprise given his drafted slot, sort of like Dak Prescott was.  I don't know if Watson had a great second year, after the ACL, but some of the hype may be coming from the thought of him building on his rookie season without the burden of recovering from the knee. 

Its speculative and forecasting his trajectory, but I don't think its without merit.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Totally disagree there. Accuracy is suspect, yes!!! But he has plenty of arm strength, IMO. His issues border around his accuracy, deep or middle. However, if he has a guy with the catch radius of Hopkins, he just needs to be what Stafford was for Megatron, use that catch radius and get it to his vicinity. He has plenty of arm strength to lead a speedster like Fuller, and has done so several times over the last 2 years. 

Fine aspects of QBing like reading blitzes and making decisions under pressure, he has some ways to go when compared to Luck. 

I went back and watched some more clips of Watson and I see that he has a better arm than I gave him credit for.  During the combine I remembered the analysts mentioning his arm was not as good as other QBs in that draft based on ball velocity.  I think Watson's throws were around 49 MPH, while most throw in the mid-50s or higher.  But based on the clips I watched, his arm looks fine, it's more so the accuracy and QB fundamentals.  

2 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

I went back and watched some more clips of Watson and I see that he has a better arm than I gave him credit for.  During the combine I remembered the analysts mentioning his arm was not as good as other QBs in that draft based on ball velocity.  I think Watson's throws were around 49 MPH, while most throw in the mid-50s or higher.  But based on the clips I watched, his arm looks fine, it's more so the accuracy and QB fundamentals.  

Oh yeah, this game, I can never forget. Great plays made by Watson and RW as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSWjOF-amHQ

• Like 1

I think you guys are being too hard on him.   He started 6 games his rookie year and 16 last year.  

He's got a great TD/INT ratio for this early in his career.   

He completed over 68% of his passes last season.   Good accuracy.

QB rating was 103.0 his first season and 103.1 last year.   

He can certainly improve and that will happen if the Texans line improves.  

His number certainly show top 10 QB.   I'd put him in the 8-12 range.

image.png.8a1d9de3cc6b8561d2772a3cd5067695.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I think you guys are being too hard on him.   He started 6 games his rookie year and 16 last year.  

He's definitely been the beneficiary of a great defense and having Hopkins to throw to.

I'd have to see him carry a mediocre team on his back into the playoffs the way Luck has in the past before I put him in the top-10 discussion.

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He's definitely been the beneficiary of a great defense and having Hopkins to throw to.

I'd have to see him carry a mediocre team on his back into the playoffs the way Luck has in the past before I put him in the top-10 discussion.

I don't put him in the Luck class.   However he has been very good.   QB rating is flawed, but in the grand scheme of things it is very accurate.  103.1 is admirable.

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah I have him 10-12. He isn't very good or great but he is good. Luck is top 5 IMO heading into the season.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Caleb3502 said:

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good jon this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

He's not as good as he was as a rookie.

I don't think anybody would after standing behind that swiss cheese line he stood behind last year. Watson will be just fine.  I don't think he's Luck, but I do think he'll be better than Mariota and Dak Prescott.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't think anybody would after standing behind that swiss cheese line he stood behind last year. Watson will be just fine.  I don't think he's Luck, but I do think he'll be better than Mariota and Dak Prescott.

I think Watson is good too but not very good or great. Luck was behind a swiss cheese line from 2012-2014 and went 11-5 every year and a Title game. My words to Watson = welcome to how Luck felt haha . Luck now has a coach and a system where he can thrive LUCKILY. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Watson is good too but not very good or great. Luck was behind a swiss cheese line from 2012-2014 and went 11-5 every year and a Title game. My words to Watson = welcome to how Luck felt haha . Luck now has a coach and a system where he can thrive LUCKILY. 

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him so of course there are kinks to work out. I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him, and I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

I actually like Watson and thought the Bears should've have drafted him instead of Trubisky. I said he was good, I just do not think he is very good or great yet. The Texans went 12-4 in 2012 and 9-7 in 2014. We had competition from them actually. Jags and Titans just stunk in those years so bad that people say our division stunk. Most divisions usually do just have 2 good teams, that is normal. The Pats never get criticized for playing in a terrible division but yet we always have. Makes no sense. Pats get a bye week every year because they have 5 automatic wins every year lol if not 6. They lose at Miami now and then.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually like Watson and thought the Bears should've have drafted him instead of Trubisky. I said he was good, I just do not think he is very good or great yet. The Texans went 12-4 in 2012 and 9-7 in 2014. We had competition from them actually. Jags and Titans just stunk in those years so bad that people say our division stunk. Most divisions usually do just have 2 good teams, that is normal. The Pats never get criticized for playing in a terrible division but yet we always have. Makes no sense. Pats get a bye week every year because they have 5 automatic wins every year lol if not 6. They lose at Miami now and then.

I think what he's done so far has been pretty good.  As far as him being a fully developed QB of course he isn't there yet in this early stage.  But I can certainly see why people have a decent level of faith in him. I think I put him in the right pot in saying that right now he's somewhere around Mariota and Dak. He's not in the same pot as Luck. Personally I'm expecting him to have a pretty solid year 3.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think what he's done so far has been pretty good.  As far as him being a fully developed QB of course he isn't there yet in this early stage.  But I can certainly see why people have a decent level of faith in him. I think I put him in the right pot in saying that right now he's somewhere around Mariota and Dak. He's not in the same pot as Luck. Personally I'm expecting him to have a pretty solid year 3.

He's better than Mariota IMO

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't think his defense has helped him put up good numbers. Hopkins has helped a lot but that is just one guy. If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

I agree with Myles and Krunk. Watson is not great but he is good enough. I'll take him as my quarterback. 

• Like 1

He has a ton of potential. The Houston sports media is split on him. He still holds on to the ball too long (3.1 seconds) like Luck did and that with a poor OL (again, like Luck had) he is at a disadvantage. The Houston sportswriters jury is still out on him and the messy Texans organization is no help to his cause. If the Texans are mediocre this coming season there is no telling who will be on their roster and coaching staff at the season's end. 

14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

That's definitely true, but he has things to get better on, also. And that's reasonable, he was a developmental passer coming in, and he's played a year and a half, mostly relying on natural ability. He has a long way to go still, but his playmaking and raw talent are desirable, and make it worth the time and effort to develop him. If they get it right, you're looking at a top 10 QB. 

Just because he had a bad game against us in the playoffs does not mean he’s trash. That’s like chiefs fans saying Luck is trash because he played a bad game. His first 2 years have been amazing but he still needs to work on reading a blitz and the defense better. Also needs a better line which he can not control.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think his defense has helped him put up good numbers. Hopkins has helped a lot but that is just one guy. If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

I agree with Myles and Krunk. Watson is not great but he is good enough. I'll take him as my quarterback. 

You have Cousins so don't worry be happy homer simpson laughing GIF

On 7/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, runthepost said:

Just because he had a bad game against us in the playoffs does not mean he’s trash. That’s like chiefs fans saying Luck is trash because he played a bad game. His first 2 years have been amazing but he still needs to work on reading a blitz and the defense better. Also needs a better line which he can not control.

Watson is definitely not trash. If he had a stout OL he would easily be in the top 10. The 2019 Texans OL is still half full so Watson is not out of the woods yet and if they don't protect him again this year he may call David Carr for  travel advise.

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

he may call David Carr for  travel advise.

Or John Madden.  Remember how he couldn't fly last year because of his lung and had to take a bus to Jacksonville to play the Jags?

I've never heard of a player having to do that before.

If anything, the kid is tough.  I can't believe he was too hurt to fly in a plane, but he could start in an NFL game and beat that Jax defense.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, krunk said:

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him so of course there are kinks to work out. I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

Hardly.....they were 3-4 when he went down.