Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odd man out at their position.

dodsworth

Which veteran gets cut at their position? 

Center/guard: Boehm

Tackle: Leraven Clark

RB: Williams

Wide out: Fountain

TE: 

Interior D line: Ridgeway already cut, not sure who else could be cut.

Defensive end: we should be set at this position.

Linebacker: Franklin or Goode

Cornerback: Milton

SAFETY: Odum

Who ya got?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goode is no longer on the team. 

Hard to see Biehm cut.   Who would replace him?

Not sure if they keep him over the 7th rounder or not. Guess

we gotta see what the new kid is made of.

32 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

TE: 

Who ya got?

Safety - Kindred

CB - Nate Hairston

LB - Skai / Franklin

DE - Muhammad 

DT-

WR -Toss up on Hogan and Ishmael

RB- Wilkins / Williams

G/C - Boehm / Prohels 

T- Clark 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see Milton getting cut either. He is one of the best gunners in the league. Someone would have to step up big time. He had a good day at DB today also.

Right now, Milton is maybe 6-8 on the CB rotation.....

Desir, Moore, Wilson, Rock, Hairston, Tell, Collins, and Milton.     Your order might differ,  but making the 53 is going to be very, very hard for Milton.    Being good on special teams likely won't be enough.

17 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Boehm is a solid backup he's not getting cut....milton and hairston will probably get cut

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Unless someone else shows they can play center at high level Boehm isn’t going anywhere.

Ballard picked up an interior lineman in the draft, so he 

believes someone is the weak link of the interior line.

Joe Haeg is versatile but is he the guy that Ballard might 

be trying to replace?

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right now, Milton is maybe 6-8 on the CB rotation.....

Desir, Moore, Wilson, Rock, Hairston, Tell, Collins, and Milton.     Your order might differ,  but making the 53 is going to be very, very hard for Milton.    Being good on special teams likely won't be enough.

Not just Milton, who likely gets cut.  I suspect after the first 4, its a dogfight for the last CB slot (assuming 5 CBs and 5 S's) between Tell, Collins and Hairston, with Tell getting the nod if he pans out as they hope. He can play safety in a pinch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard picked up an interior lineman in the draft, so he 

believes someone is the weak link of the interior line.

Joe Haeg is versatile but is he the guy that Ballard might 

be trying to replace?

Haeg is our best backup.  Boehm is also making it in my view.  Clark is gone and needs to be gone. I just hope we have a clear cut replacement.  If Clark makes the team we are not safe at all should either tackle go down beyond Haeg.  He can do it, but it isn't ideal.  Clark is not a quality replacement at either tackle. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I don't see how Najee Goode stays, especially after all the new LB's drafted 

I don’t see how Goode stays either, especially knowing that he isn’t even on the team any longer lol. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dodsworth said:

TE: 

Who ya got?

I think Pascal gets cut instead of Fountain.

Could go either way though...

• Like 1

OT - the battle comes down to Haeg, Clark, Garcia and the draft pick Barton. Haeg is a swing T/G so he stays - Barton can probably be stashed on the PS so that leaves Clark and Garcia.

WR - After Hilton, Funchess and Campbell it is a literal free for all between Cain, Fountain, Rogers, Johnson, Pascal, Veasy, Hart, Dulin, Ishmael and Hogan. 

CB - Pierre, Wilson, Rock, Moore and Tell are locks. Hairston, Collins, Taylor, and Milton are all likely fighting for one spot

Safety - In my mind only Hooker, Odum and Willis are locks. Geathers, Farley, Kindred and Johnson are battling for 1-2 spots. I like Geathers (if healthy) and Kindred.

DE - Sheard, Houston, Turay and Banogu are locks. Muhammad, Phillips, Nicholas, Jegede and Green are fighting for 1-2 spots.

LB - Leonard, Walker, Okereke and Speed are locks. Adams, Franklin, Moore, A. Thomas, and T. Thomas are fighting for the last 2-3 spots.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Not just Milton, who likely gets cut.  I suspect after the first 4, its a dogfight for the last CB slot (assuming 5 CBs and 5 S's) between Tell, Collins and Hairston, with Tell getting the nod if he pans out as they hope. He can play safety in a pinch. 

I agree with this except my money is on hairston getting that spot and Tell being placed on ps assuming he gets through waivers

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see Milton getting cut either. He is one of the best gunners in the league. Someone would have to step up big time. He had a good day at DB today also.

I agree. Milton makes the team. Top tier special teams player. Can fill in at CB if needed.

I can't see Boehm or Haeg not making the team.  

Honestly in terms of offense the only vets I could see being cut is Clark and maybe Webb and some of the WR's, Foutain, Cain, and Pascal will likely be competing for one maybe 2 roster spots.  Plus there are several UDFA's and street FA's that were brought in who could push them.  I suppose Rodgers might be on the bubble a bit but he still has the inside track, I would say he's got at least an 80% chance of making the roster.  

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I agree with this except my money is on hairston getting that spot and Tell being placed on ps assuming he gets through waivers

Tell won't make it to the PS. Milton is a one trick pony that has shown repeatedly when playing versus other teams he cannot cover anyone.

Tell is transitioning to CB, but he is already an accomplished safety AND he was a special teams gunner at USC as well. He's more versatile....

The real battle, in my mind is Collins versus Hairston....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Tell won't make it to the PS. Milton is a one trick pony that has shown repeatedly when playing versus other teams he cannot cover anyone.

Tell is transitioning to CB, but he is already an accomplished safety AND he was a special teams gunner at USC as well. He's more versatile....

Yep I agree with that as well. I am hoping to see that potential get unlocked with Collins this spring. Hairston, can he put his game altogether as well? Hopefully. 

The really good thing about all these position battles is that we really have some talented kids that are going to make other rosters because we just couldn’t get them all on the squad. Going to be a fun year. Injuries will also dictate how some get stashed on IR. Until next year though. 

24 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Yep I agree with that as well. I am hoping to see that potential get unlocked with Collins this spring. Hairston, can he put his game altogether as well? Hopefully. 

The really good thing about all these position battles is that we really have some talented kids that are going to make other rosters because we just couldn’t get them all on the squad. Going to be a fun year. Injuries will also dictate how some get stashed on IR. Until next year though. 

This draft is going to improve the overall depth of the 63.....next years draft (and beyond) will REALLY start to make things interesting.

Next year will likely start the sustainment cycle of drafting for future losses (free agency, age, injury). Think of plsyers like Houston, or Hunt, or Castonzo that are on the older side of things.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has always looked BAD as a CB so lol. 
 Is it that hard to find a good gunner that can't contribute otherwise?
I hope we have moved past that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

What I read (and heard) of tell is he won’t make it as a safety and is a project for corner.  ST may keep him on the roster as he grooms though.  

I believe ballard when he says he doesn’t care if you were drafted or not.  The best players make the team.  I think tell gets relegated to ps.  

For RB - It will be between Jonathan Williams and Spencer Ware. They may cut both and only keep three. We'll see.

For WR - I can only see one receiver making it between Chester Rogers, Zach Pascal, and Daurice Fountain.

For TE - I am not sure if they will carry three or four, but if they do four, then it will be between Ross Travis and Hale Hentges.

For LB  - I can only see either Zaire Franklins or Matthew Adams making the 53. I think Adams has a bit more upside. 

For CB - It will be interesting to see how Jalen Collins will perform because he would take a spot from Nate Hairston. 

4 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That position is easy to replace....but him as a CB he's trash he's not worth keeping

Chris Ballard has made it well known how important special teams are to him. I believe it would be very difficult finding a gunner the caliber of Christopher Milton. Whos arguably one of the best in the league.

....we shall see when cuts are made.

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

What I read (and heard) of tell is he won’t make it as a safety and is a project for corner.  ST may keep him on the roster as he grooms though.  

I believe ballard when he says he doesn’t care if you were drafted or not.  The best players make the team.  I think tell gets relegated to ps.  

He's not strong enough for strong safety for sure, but, he has played CF and deep halves and covers a lot of ground with his length and speed.

While he is evolving at CB the coaching will assuredly find other wrinkles to use him in. 

Gunner as one option.

Maybe playing a deep half with Hooker while Geathers/Farley drops down in the Dime?

Same topic different player - Banogu was drafted to play LB but has exclusively spent OTA's at defensive end. If you have multiplicity - use them where they fit in at that moment. 

Only time will tell I suppose. No pun intended....lol

On 5/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, Scott Pennock said:

OT - the battle comes down to Haeg, Clark, Garcia and the draft pick Barton. Haeg is a swing T/G so he stays - Barton can probably be stashed on the PS so that leaves Clark and Garcia.

WR - After Hilton, Funchess and Campbell it is a literal free for all between Cain, Fountain, Rogers, Johnson, Pascal, Veasy, Hart, Dulin, Ishmael and Hogan. 

CB - Pierre, Wilson, Rock, Moore and Tell are locks. Hairston, Collins, Taylor, and Milton are all likely fighting for one spot

Safety - In my mind only Hooker, Odum and Willis are locks. Geathers, Farley, Kindred and Johnson are battling for 1-2 spots. I like Geathers (if healthy) and Kindred.

DE - Sheard, Houston, Turay and Banogu are locks. Muhammad, Phillips, Nicholas, Jegede and Green are fighting for 1-2 spots.

LB - Leonard, Walker, Okereke and Speed are locks. Adams, Franklin, Moore, A. Thomas, and T. Thomas are fighting for the last 2-3 spots.

Why is Odum a lock over Farley and Geathers?

33 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Why is Odum a lock over Farley and Geathers?

Draftable grade....he's a better overall athlete than both per measurables.......Ballard has mentioned time and again how much he likes him....age.....contract.....and played pretty well down the stretch last year after the Mitchell's and Wilcox's fizzled out.

First two weeks he's been running with the ones.

Both Geathers and Farley are on one year contracts with injury history. 

I just think they like him and Hooker covering the deep halves.

Nothing proven or substantial, just a gut feeling....

20 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

A player doesn’t go from the roster straight to the practice squad.   You get cut first.  You’re exposed to being claimed for 24 long hours.   If no one claims you THEN you get re-claimed and put on the practice squad. 

If cut, Tell will not make it through unclaimed.   Some other team will claim him.   We will not get him back. 

Unless he’s a flop in the pre--season, odds are Ballard will not cut him.  He will make the 53 and remain a colt. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

A player doesn’t go from the roster straight to the practice squad.   You get cut first.  You’re exposed to being claimed for 24 long hours.   If no one claims you THEN you get re-claimed and put on the practice squad. 

If cut, Tell will not make it through unclaimed.   Some other team will claim him.   We will not get him back. 

Unless he’s a flop in the pre--season, odds are Ballard will not cut him.  He will make the 53 and remain a colt. 

Yes, i said that in my first response.  If he makes it through waivers.  What i've read is he is not rated as high as we fans think and most were surprised to see him drafted.  He may clear waivers.  Who knows.  not me, that's for sure.  no one on here does. 

48 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yes, i said that in my first response.  If he makes it through waivers.  What i've read is he is not rated as high as we fans think and most were surprised to see him drafted.  He may clear waivers.  Who knows.  not me, that's for sure.  no one on here does. 

Huh?

Most were surprised to see him drafted?

I haven't read or seen that anywhere....    Tell was a highly rated talent.   A 5-star kid.   Had a higher draft grade his junior year than his senior year.    That's why he lasted to the 5th round.    But not drafted at all?      Is that what you meant to say or am I misunderstanding?

Sorry I misread part of your post.    My bad.