Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Corner trade rumours

b a y s k i

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

Dont forget, if he lets Jacoby leave in FA next year to be a starter somewhere else, he will get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return due to the size of the contract. So Ballard will get SOMETHING regardless of how he plays this out.

It's not that simple. It all depends on what FAs you lose, and what FAs you sign. And that would not be known until next year when the dust settles. Lots of things go into the formula.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. There will be teams post draft looking for QBs of varying degrees. With the league using more and more dual threat QBs, and JB is a good option for those teams. With our OL improvement, and Luck's awesome health snap back, JB is a bit less important us now. Sure Ballard is going to play up his value regardless. Every GM is also a sales guy too.

I could see a swap for a pick, a player, or a package. FA dust is settling a bit now, and we'll see some pre-draft activity, draft activity (packages, swaps, etc.), then a flurry of post draft activity. Long way to go before it's all over. And there are still a lot teams out there with late contract guys like JB looking to wheel and deal. Not saying CB is going to go hog wild, but there will be plenty of opportunity to do more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

It's not that simple. It all depends on what FAs you lose, and what FAs you sign. And that would not be known until next year when the dust settles. Lots of things go into the formula.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. There will be teams post draft looking for QBs of varying degrees. With the league using more and more dual threat QBs, and JB is a good option for those teams. With our OL improvement, and Luck's awesome health snap back, JB is a bit less important us now. Sure Ballard is going to play up his value regardless. Every GM is also a sales guy too.

I could see a swap for a pick, a player, or a package. FA dust is settling a bit now, and we'll see some pre-draft activity, draft activity (packages, swaps, etc.), then a flurry of post draft activity. Long way to go before it's all over. And there are still a lot teams out there with late contract guys like JB looking to wheel and deal. Not saying CB is going to go hog wild, but there will be plenty of opportunity to do more. 

Right, I know there are a lot of variables in play, I was oversimplifying just to get the point across that there could be some compensation for him regardless of whether hes traded or leaves via FA.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I just caution everyone on this. All of our people on this board and the media keep preaching the comp pick for JB next year. But here’s the thing, that pick is not for 2020. It’s for 2021. And we don’t get that pick at all if we pay any outside free agent any significant contract that offsets the comp pick formula. 

So basically if we as dans want some outside help next year and out locker room is ready to add that piece on a big FA contract, it would ultimately offset JB’s deal elsewhere and we’d likely get no comp pick for him. 

A comp pick for him is not guaranteed unless we let him walk and we are inactive ourselves on any top tier talent. So take it w a grain of salt. If people are banking on the comp pick then those same people must be banking on our inactivity next off season as well and this shouldn’t be complaining if we sit on our money again. 

This is why id be all for trading JB now. A pick in 2020 is worth one round less (typically) than 2019. So a pick in 2021 is worth two rounds less than 2019. Even if we got a 3rd in 2021 that’s equal to a 5th this year. 

That means if we can get anything better than a 5-6th this year then we should take it. 

Againits just semantics but it should be said and thought of. 

If Ballard could get something in the middle 4th or higher , he should jump at it IMO. I really don't see a landing spot for him that would return that. Just my opinion but who would want him for anything more than a back-up ? Miami just signed Fitzpatrick and that closes that door. Giants are going to have Eli back. He will bridge for a rookie this year or they use next year's one on a 2020 QB. 

Bottom line is teams don't trade valuable draft picks for back up QB's. Never seen it happen and it makes little sense .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll predict Brissett to the Giants for a 3rd round pick. They got an extra 3rd in the Beckham trade, and the Giants have Eli at QB and aren't interested in Haskins. Also think the Cardinals take Murray before them. Perfect match for Brissett. Predicting it now!

There's been some rumours that Russel Wilson's wife wants NY over Seattle and he may be traded there. If not, I can see Rosen with NYG or pats. Then maybe Brissett to Seahawks if they trade Wilson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There's been some rumours that Russel Wilson's wife wants NY over Seattle and he may be traded there. If not, I can see Rosen with NYG or pats. Then maybe Brissett to Seahawks if they trade Wilson.

I'd trade the wife before going to NY... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't know who she is, I heard she some celebrity or singer?

But it's been a rumor that's been out there for a while. 

Yup, singer. She seems like a decent chick, but she married him knowing his job. 

He seems to have done a lot off the field in Seattle. Thought I read something about investment in an arena, and trying to bring baseball to Portland. 

He'll be a UFA after this year, so wouldn't be shocked either way. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Yup, singer. She seems like a decent chick, but she married him knowing his job. 

He seems to have done a lot off the field in Seattle. Thought I read something about investment in an arena, and trying to bring baseball to Portland. 

He'll be a UFA after this year, so wouldn't be shocked either way. 

If he leaves I think Carroll will soon follow. Then the team that was known as the Legion of Doom will be the Team of Gloom for a long, long time.

7 hours ago, MTC said:

Benjamin Allbright is way more reliable than "insiders" like Mike Silver and Jason La Canfora. 

In terms of potential trade targets, I do not really have a clue. I find it difficult for Ballard and company to trade a draft pick, but maybe a late round/conditional. 

Allbright has been pretty spot on in his reporting. He IS reliable source. 

5 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Ballard literally said these exact words.

“It would take somebody doing something that would blow me away, and it has to be the right thing for the kid, too.”

“I’m not just sending him anywhere.”

“This is what I told Jacoby: ‘I’m not giving you away. I won’t do it.' I had chances last year, and I didn’t do it, and I won’t do it again. It would have to be right for the organization and for him.”

So go ahead and correct your post.

Notice the use of the words “too” and “and.” Chief concern is does it make sense for the organization...you’ve got them flipped.

8 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Dont forget, if he lets Jacoby leave in FA next year to be a starter somewhere else, he will get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return due to the size of the contract. So Ballard will get SOMETHING regardless of how he plays this out.

Teams that got a 3rd rounder for losing a top player had those players sign contracts worth $10 mil a year or more.   

A year from now JB will hopefully played in 19 what he played in 18 — in other words very little at garbage time.   That means JB will have had almost no playing time in back to back seasons.

At that point,  no NFL team is going to sign JB to a contract for $10 mill or more per year.   He’ll get a deal for backup money with incentives based on playing time plus performance.  So your idea of a 3rd rounder I’m sorry to say is a pipe dream.  

I hope I’m wrong but believe I’m right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

New York is amazing. Sure beats the hell out of Indiana haha. 

Until you look at the tax rate and the sheer number of people moving out of states like New York( California and Illinois are seeing it as well) due to those tax rates and cost of living.  But that’s borderline political so I’ll stop my rant.:rantoff:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are kidding ourselves if we think it's for anything other than acquiring more draft picks...

He's not spending picks for a random player when right square in the middle of FA. He's looking for a splash like Saint Patty's day last year when he pulled the Jets trade off. Ballard has been so blatantly transparent in his approach, yet no one seems to pay attention. He was never going to spend big money on the top players of FA. He's not going to trade away picks. He's looking to acquire and continue to build through the draft, and rightfully so after the last one he pulled. I'd be so overconfident in my ability to draft if I were him, it wouldn't be funny. 

Here's to a lopsided draft trade in favor of our Colts and a hell of a finish to the offseason by Ballard and Co. 

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

If Ballard could get something in the middle 4th or higher , he should jump at it IMO. I really don't see a landing spot for him that would return that. Just my opinion but who would want him for anything more than a back-up ? Miami just signed Fitzpatrick and that closes that door. Giants are going to have Eli back. He will bridge for a rookie this year or they use next year's one on a 2020 QB. 

Bottom line is teams don't trade valuable draft picks for back up QB's. Never seen it happen and it makes little sense .

A Miami sportswriter earlier suggested they swap their 13th to us for our 26th. and Brissett.  That was before the Fitz trade.  Maybe the Skins would be tempted for the same deal using their 16th?

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There was noise last year about the Seahawks being interested in Brissett.  Maybe Brissett and our 2020 2nd. for Clark.  That should make them a little more comfortable dealing Wilson.   Just having fun.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams that got a 3rd rounder for losing a top player had those players sign contracts worth $10 mil a year or more.   

A year from now JB will hopefully played in 19 what he played in 18 — in other words very little at garbage time.   That means JB will have had almost no playing time in back to back seasons.

At that point,  no NFL team is going to sign JB to a contract for $10 mill or more per year.   He’ll get a deal for backup money with incentives based on playing time plus performance.  So your idea of a 3rd rounder I’m sorry to say is a pipe dream.  

If hes just getting a new back up deal, then why would he leave in the 1st place? If hes just gonna stay a backup, hes gonna stay here. If he has any sort of market, even 2 teams that want him to come and start, he'll easily eclipse 10 million. 

9 hours ago, dw49 said:

Depends on the definition of “valuable.” Didn’t NO do that last year for Bridgewater? And CLE gave up a 3rd rounder for Tyrod Taylor...specifically with the intention of him being a backup for Baker once he was ready.

That might be the most ideal situation...a team going after QB in this draft. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep. People talk about the best situation for him...well that would be just about any team that will give him (or give him the chance for) legit snaps next season...as long as it’s not a bad team environment. That’s the only way he’s getting a big contract...if he can show something next season. Otherwise, he probably gets one of those two-year deals like what Bridgewater got.

Those snaps won’t happen here...at least we all hope that doesn’t happen here...because that means Luck is hurt. 

• Thanks 1

This morning, in his MMQB column, Albert Breer alerted readers to "keep an eye on value pickups on the trade market now".  These players would be "veterans nearing the end of their contracts at positions that were either weak, or where spending got out of whack in FA".  He mentioned the Patriots doing this now inquiring about WR's.  Maybe Ballard could be sniffing around as well at various positions.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Depends on the definition of “valuable.” Didn’t NO do that last year for Bridgewater? And CLE gave up a 3rd rounder for Tyrod Taylor...specifically with the intention of him being a backup for Baker once he was ready.

That might be the most ideal situation...a team going after QB in this draft. 

You described a bridge and I just don't see that many teams that might look to do that this year.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A Miami sportswriter earlier suggested they swap their 13th to us for our 26th. and Brissett.  That was before the Fitz trade.  Maybe the Skins would be tempted for the same deal using their 16th?

I would be shocked if they did so. Washington has a horrible QB situation but I don't know if trading 10 spots in the first round would help their team. IMO , they need to draft a developmental player in the second or 3rd and hope Smith makes it back in 6-8 months. They are pretty much committed to him through 2020 as the dead money is very significant in 2019 and 2020. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Until you look at the tax rate and the sheer number of people moving out of states like New York( California and Illinois are seeing it as well) due to those tax rates and cost of living.  But that’s borderline political so I’ll stop my rant.:rantoff:

Hey don't be disrespecting the great state of Illinois like that!  

Jk,  this is the worst state ever! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

If hes just getting a new back up deal, then why would he leave in the 1st place? If hes just gonna stay a backup, hes gonna stay here. If he has any sort of market, even 2 teams that want him to come and start, he'll easily eclipse 10 million. 

Even if a team offers the possibility to start,  even if JB has to compete for the job, he still won’t get offered $10 mill a year. 

For example Ryan Fitzpatrick just signed with Miami yesterday.  He signed for backup money...   about $6 mill a year or so....    with incentives that could turn it into about $10 mill a year or so.   That’s how these deals go.

You can downplay Fitz all you want, but that’s how these deals work. 

Suddenly there are supposed to be TWO teams giving him JB a chance at starting?   I don’t think you’re paying attention to the market.   There aren’t many opps to start.   And three teams will draft Haskins,  Murray and Lock to fill three opportunities.   We are still looking at a pipe dream even if multiple teams are offering him the backup job with a CHANCE to start.

And JB might leave for a job with an opp to start like Tannehill to Tenn.   Marriotta gets hurt all the time. Tannehill could play meaningful snaps.   And RT’s new deal didn’t come close at $10 mill a year.   He needs incentives to get there.  Yes, he was traded and not a FA.   But to get the trade, RT Redid his deal.    That’s how these are done.

Or...

JB might stay to be Lucks backup, which would be great.   But the odds are decent that he might leave to have increased odds of good playing time elsewhere.   The odds are likely not that great that JB gets meaningful snaps as Andrews backup.   

Just trying to offer a clearer picture of JBs situation.

PS  another poster has also pointed out the Teddy Bridgewater deal where he is likely the future guy to replace Drew Brees.   Backup money plus incentives if/when he starts.    Again, that’s how this situation is handled.   This is the best example.  Sorry I didn’t think to use it originally. 

Who are likely to be cap casualties? Maybe with the big cap left trade a late pick or swap picks plus a player a team gets something for someone they'd cut and we can absorb the cap hit and get a vet for a year or 2 while our young guys develop and we have to pay Leonard Nelson and Kelly.  

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yep. People talk about the best situation for him...well that would be just about any team that will give him (or give him the chance for) legit snaps next season...as long as it’s not a bad team environment. That’s the only way he’s getting a big contract...if he can show something next season. Otherwise, he probably gets one of those two-year deals like what Bridgewater got.

Those snaps won’t happen here...at least we all hope that doesn’t happen here...because that means Luck is hurt. 

Thanks...   I didn’t see the details on the TB deal and didn’t even think to use it on my response today.   My bad.   That’s a much better comparison.   Thanks for bringing that up.    Really appreciate you weighing in! 

As good as Peyton Manning was when he did not play Sorgi or Painter or Clip board Jesus & whoever else could not step in & do what Brissett  did his first season being thrown to the wolves no off season work outs or pre season with the team , The offensive line sucked the running game sucked & yet he survived . 

I'm not saying I would not trade I'm saying with what the Manning era & so far the Luck era has shown us is the importance of a good back up . 

We have seen a difference already our Colts have stepped up last season was a great start to winning back the division IMO it would be a step backwards & foolish  Brissett is the security blanket that the Colts have needed for decades .  

To make the next step the Colts must keep Brissett however IMO If we could get a quality pass rusher in a trade or a first rd pick offered we should seriously listen .Just my 2 cents :colts:

18 hours ago, MTC said:

Benjamin Allbright is way more reliable than "insiders" like Mike Silver and Jason La Canfora. 

In terms of potential trade targets, I do not really have a clue. I find it difficult for Ballard and company to trade a draft pick, but maybe a late round/conditional. 

FWIW, he "liked" several tweets in his replies that made mention of Trae Waynes

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not sure where you heard this (link?), but the meltdowns that would ensue amongst Seahawks fans if they were to trade Wilson make me want it to happen so badly.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not sure where you heard this (link?), but the meltdowns that would ensue amongst Seahawks fans if they were to trade Wilson make me want it to happen so badly.

No links but I've heard it on tv and my brother said he heard it last week. And today I heard on Florio & Simms say something he's not wanting to sign extension now or something?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

Your name has the word San Diego involved which is in the worst state to ever exist! You have no room to be bashing Indiana 

Ive lived in NYC, California, and Indiana. I do have room to talk. Ill take the perfect weather and 10 minute walk to the beach over snow anyday of the week. Different strokes though..... 

• Like 2